New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default What exactly do you reveal to players about traps?

With successful perception, do you reveal the exact list of countermeasures, and triggers verbatim to your players? Or allude to these items in a more veiled fashion? For instance, do you suggest that the trap could be delayed?

Trap heavy adventure coming up, and I want to make sure I run it correctly. Thanks

-Dave

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What exactly do you reveal to players about traps?

In general, I'd reveal presence of traps with a successful Perception check. Analyzing or disarming the traps would use Thievery skill.

There are some exceptions to this. A concealed pit or snare, or an unsound structure would both have a fairly clear function. No second skill check would be necessary for these.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

It depends:
    If I want to have the trap work as a little bit of a puzzle I give some info and if they ask the right questions and/or do the right things I give significant bonuses on rolls to disarm or re-purpose the trap.
    If the discovery of the trap means it's purpose is finished (say, a tarp who's job was to protect the BBEG from being charged from the doorway) then I'll tell them where the trigger is and get on with the battle.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I tend to give all the pertinent information in "thinly-veiled" in-world descriptions. Things like:
    - You remember that Archalunatum's Reversed Accumen could shield you from these effects = Arcana Check
    - If you take a moment to remember, you're pretty sure you've seen something like that statue before... = make a History check
    - There are certainly ways to disable this complex mechanism, but as you've noticed in the past, a well-applied ax tends to solve most problems... = you can use Thievery or just smash it to smithereens.
    - etc.

By not being completely transparent I leave room for the random (and often cool) ideas players get - if you're completely transparent, you can lock them down somewhat - but even then, some prefer a very defined game. It's just a matter of preference really.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The best advice I have ever seen on traps is in Hack & Slash's Trick & Trap Index.

The Angry GM also has some decent advice for skill based systems. I would consider Angry's advice to be beginner-intermediate level, whereas Hack & Slash is expert.

If you amalgamate the two, your adjudication of traps will be genius. Use the perception checks to give out the information that Hack & Slash includes in his articles on agency - or don't bother with the checks, if the PCs look at the right things, or use a 10' pole properly - and your players could be in for a real treat.

At the very least, check out the Water Shock room.