New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: So you get dropped into the Pokemon anime verse...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yes. because your wrong. I just stated facts. your jokes are not funny, said pikachu "god" couldn't take out a starting level Snivvy, dragon rage isn't even that good of a move past low levels, and sizes of things doesn't make sense in pokemon, news at 11.
    Okay, but what about Brooklyn rage? I hear that has better scaling.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes. because your wrong. I just stated facts. your jokes are not funny, said pikachu "god" couldn't take out a starting level Snivvy, dragon rage isn't even that good of a move past low levels, and sizes of things doesn't make sense in pokemon, news at 11.
    Oooookay, look, I apologize for daring to poke fun at what is clearly your entire focus in life. Relax, take a deep breath, and make like elsa.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    That makes sense. Save the world, and you just stop needing to pay for stuff. It's a better reward then most heroes get.

I can kinda see this from the opposite direction. Wild pokemon are dangerous, so the government funds Pokemon trainers to go out and catch them, maybe as some sort of bounty system. But the Pokemon trainers serve to reduce the number of dangerous wild pokemon, as well as helping protect against Pokemon rampages.
    That could actually work, we DO see ash dealing with some nasty groups of pokemon from time to time. Heck right off the bat there is that spearow swarm. I forget if there was anything in particular that ticked them off or if they are just violent jerks. You had the squirtle squad, I believe at one point there was issues with diglets and dugtrios tearing up an area, and those jigglypuffs are a menace to society!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    3)I really hope Ash is the one and only pokemon trainer oak is sponsoring. Otherwise the dude needs to own landmass the size of texas to let the vast armies of random pokemon roam around free. Not too mention the need for a dozen different habitats as his goldeen wont be happy on an open plain, and so on. How the hell does that even work? At least keeping them in a computer system makes some sense, you dont need 50 acres to care for 30 digitized tauros after all. They fit on a flash drive. Now imagine him taking care of even a dozen other trainers extra pokemon. Now we know why the towns are so dang small, they need all the room for poke professors to store multiple continents worth of pokemon open range style.
    Judging by the rare episodes where Ash is home Oak has that much space.
    And even various habitats for all kinds of Pokčmon.
    I assume Tardis-Hax. It's the only reasonable explanation.
    Ash and his companions don't notice because A) it's Ash and B) his stupidity is infectious.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Oooookay, look, I apologize for daring to poke fun at what is clearly your entire focus in life. Relax, take a deep breath, and make like elsa.
    Also the rock is immune to electricity has to one of the most common typing misconceptions. I can't have been the only 9 year old to weep in silent horror as my beloved aerodactyl fell from the heavens from a crumby Raichu's thunderbolt. Right?

Right?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Also the rock is immune to electricity has to one of the most common typing misconceptions. I can't have been the only 9 year old to weep in silent horror as my beloved aerodactyl fell from the heavens from a crumby Raichu's thunderbolt. Right?

Right?
    It is a common misconception because Brock cheats by having two pokemon that are Rock/Ground dual typed: Geodude and Onix. meaning the first gym is just as much of a Ground type gym as the last one thus walling anyone with a pikachu, but since everyone has a full team by Giovanni, they're using water types and whatnot to defeat him anyways.

this is reinforced by Roxanne of Hoenn using Geodude, and Roark using both Geodude and Onix in his lineup. meaning the other Rock type gym leaders both use a very common pokemon- Geodude- that is practically one of the iconic rock types but is also Ground type, and Roark outright copies Brock's set up and adds a Cranidos on top which is NOT ground type, but you assume is immune to electricity anyways because the first two are after all.

this of course could've all been avoided if they just never gave Brock dual-typed rock/ground pokemon in the first place and/or just kept Geodude and Onix as pure rock types. then Ash using pikachu to defeat Onix would be perfectly consistent with the rules. then you just have to have Ash go up two IQ points by switching out Pikachu for Squirtle to defeat them with water when it comes up, the mess would be avoided, and pikachu would actually make a little more sense, but hey since when was making sense a priority for the pokemon anime?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post

Right?
    Considering the most common Rock types we ran into where also Ground it was a rather common misconception.

It is a common misconception because Brock cheats by having two pokemon that are Rock/Ground dual typed: Geodude and Onix. meaning the first gym is just as much of a Ground type gym as the last one thus walling anyone with a pikachu, but since everyone has a full team by Giovanni, they're using water types and whatnot to defeat him anyways.

this is reinforced by Roxanne of Hoenn using Geodude, and Roark using both Geodude and Onix in his lineup. meaning the other Rock type gym leaders both use a very common pokemon- Geodude- that is practically one of the iconic rock types but is also Ground type, and Roark outright copies Brock's set up and adds a Cranidos on top which is NOT ground type, but you assume is immune to electricity anyways because the first two are after all.

this of course could've all been avoided if they just never gave Brock dual-typed rock/ground pokemon in the first place and/or just kept Geodude and Onix as pure rock types. then Ash using pikachu to defeat Onix would be perfectly consistent with the rules. then you just have to have Ash go up two IQ points by switching out Pikachu for Squirtle to defeat them with water when it comes up, the mess would be avoided, and pikachu would actually make a little more sense, but hey since when was making sense a priority for the pokemon anime?

And this is why every Yellow player had a Nidoran or a Mankey by Brocks gym. Also Ash only had Pidgeotto and Pikachu by Brock, so he couldnt have used Squirtle.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-10-27 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Also Ash only had Pidgeotto and Pikachu by Brock, so he couldnt have used Squirtle.
    Yes. that is why I said to make the two pokemon Brock uses, pure Rock types.

This has been stating facts theatre.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

That's hardly the anime's fault, though; the games were the ones that set the typing up with no pure rock types at all in Gen 1 (and only nine in total, five of which were fossils), and they did not have Pikachu as a starter in mind.

Not that it really matters, because Pikachu lightning bolts ground types ALL the time anyway.

Hell, there was that time Pikachu lightning bolted God, and it did more damage than either or the two legendaries God was fighting at the time...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-10-27 at 08:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

This has been stating facts theatre.
    I know that, but you then immediately mentioned switching Pikachu for Squirtle, which wasnt possible at the time. Also there are no mono Rock types in Gen 1, unless you are referring to just having Geodude and Onix be mono Rock, which would be fine, except the creators apparently thought Mono Rock would be to good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    That's hardly the anime's fault, though; the games were the ones that set the typing up with no pure rock types at all in Gen 1 (and only nine in total, five of which were fossils), and they did not have Pikachu as a starter in mind.

Not that it really matters, because Pikachu lightning bolts ground types ALL the time anyway.

Hell, there was that time Pikachu lightning bolted God, and it did more damage than either or the two legendaries God was fighting at the time...
    The typical reasoning for this is that Ground types have a way to make themselves immune. Bunnleby, for instance, stuck its ears into the ground in order to disperse the energy, when it couldnt do that Pikachus thunderbolt worked normally.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-10-27 at 08:34 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

That is the exact nonsense I'm arguing would be fixed? What does this have to do with arguing against it?

I know that, but you then immediately mentioned switching Pikachu for Squirtle, which wasnt possible at the time. Also there are no mono Rock types in Gen 1, unless you are referring to just having Geodude and Onix be mono Rock, which would be fine, except the creators apparently thought Mono Rock would be to good.

The typical reasoning for this is that Ground types have a way to make themselves immune. Bunnleby, for instance, stuck its ears into the ground in order to disperse the energy, when it couldnt do that Pikachus
    thunderbolt worked normally.
    Okay? That doesn't change the fact that it'd make more sense. also, mono-rock? not a good typing. has like, four weaknesses. one of them is ground, the other three are water, grass and fighting. thats gen 1. in gen 2 onwards, it also became weak to steel. so actually five weaknesses, tied with grass in number.

doesn't change the fact that they are immune. also, a pelipper could also do the grounding trick with its wing during Ash's flying gym hoenn battle, and its Flying/Water which electricity is QUAD EFFECTIVE on. again, the anime doesn't prioritize making sense.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, you are really angry about a kids' show.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Man, you are really angry about a kids' show.
    Wow, you are really hypocritical about something every nerd eventually does. glass houses and stones, Enemy Spy. glass houses and stones.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Firbolg in the Playground

The silly part is by later gens pikachu became a viable pkemon even without a light ball as a main. All you need is a TM for Brick Break and suddenly rock means nothing to you, and that's with Iron Tail being an illegal move in gen 7 for Pikachu.

Of course this doesn't stop Ash from still using Iron Tail. Rules are for losers after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    The silly part is by later gens pikachu became a viable pkemon even without a light ball as a main. All you need is a TM for Brick Break and suddenly rock means nothing to you, and that's with Iron Tail being an illegal move in gen 7 for Pikachu.

Of course this doesn't stop Ash from still using Iron Tail. Rules are for losers after all.
    Clearly he just transferred Pikachu up. I mean, you could still do that today if you really wanted.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Considering the most common Rock types we ran into where also Ground it was a rather common misconception.
    So common the makers of the first season of the anime regularly fell for it themselves, adding even further to the confusion.

Add their "clever" solution to the Rhydon battle in there (Rhydon looking more ground type than rock type compared to Onix or Golem), and the conclusion you'd draw from the anime, where the main Pokémon is an electric type, is that rock types, not ground types, are supposed to be some form of immune or resistant to electric attacks.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

That is the exact nonsense I'm arguing would be fixed? What does this have to do with arguing against it?
    Considering Ash and Pikachu's HAX is the best thing about the anime (seriously, Thunder Armour makes me crease myself every time even now), it might have been easier to for them to just admit defeat and have Ash's Pikachu have a special ability which works like Scrappy, only on ground types.

(That fanfic I'm always on about, Ashes of the Past did that, but Ash and Pikachu they decided calling it Zappy was A Bit Too Silly, even for them...)

I mean, basically only Ash Ketchum could make a Pokémon basically mega-evolve... Without a mega stone. Dude's priceless.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-10-28 at 03:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Considering Ash and Pikachu's HAX is the best thing about the anime (seriously, Thunder Armour makes me crease myself every time even now), it might have been easier to for them to just admit defeat and have Ash's Pikachu have a special ability which works like Scrappy, only on ground types.

(That fanfic I'm always on about, Ashes of the Past did that, but Ash and Pikachu they decided calling it Zappy was A Bit Too Silly, even for them...)

I mean, basically only Ash Ketchum could make a Pokémon basically mega-evolve... Without a mega stone. Dude's priceless.
    I like that fan fic to, its just that canon Ash is a loser and his Pikachu's power is completely inconsistent:

CAN PIERCE THROUGH GROUND TYPE IMMUNITY
    *Insert Meme'd Picture of Pikachu here*
    CAN'T DAMAGE A PELIPPER WITH WING STUCK IN GROUND

CAN DEAL MORE DAMAGE THAN LEGENDARIES TO THE GOD OF ALL POKEMON
    *Insert Meme'd Picture of Pikachu here*
    CAN'T DEFEAT A STARTER SNIVVY

or lets look at Ashes unusual battling strategies:
    WINS WHEN HAS TYPE DISADVANTAGE
    *Insert Meme'd Picture of Ash here*
    LOSES WHEN TRIES TO USE TYPE ADVANTAGE OVER HIS OPPONENTS
    (Is he battling on Inverse Rules or something?)

people just say hax because people naturally as always, gravitate towards Pikachu's higher feats and ignore his weakness feats. In fact, there are many battles where Pikachu lost or got worfed so that Ash had to use other pokemon, he is not a reliable pokemon to use. sure it seems as if a PikAshu is a good idea, but then Team Rocket shows up with an electricity immune thing that actually works this weak, steals all six of your PikAshus and suddenly you have no pokemon to use and alternates to switch to that get around the immunity. or you get owned by some water or flying type trainer for the sake of irony and the water type specifically training against electric attacks, because type advantages what are those? or your PikAshus get sick before each new region and reset their power back down to suck....there are simply too many situations written to make PikAshu useless. I'd rather have a normal Pikachu and thus make the world consistently obey the pokemon rules so that I can actually use an electric type to do what its supposed to be for.

In short, PikAshu has a weakness to Plot-Type Attacks. Not a good weakness to have.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go and find me a Cubone and adopt them, not sending them out to fight but to be my friend.
    I want them to know that they don't have to be alone any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

A bit late to the party here, but assuming a person can snag mons from multiple regions and unlike the games, four-moveslot-syndrome isn't a thing, my team is as follows:

1. Gardevoir
    2. Luxray
    3. Infernape
    4. Staraptor
    5. Ferrothorn
    6. Blastoise

Good mix of types with a bunch of my favorites, especially my boy/girl Luxray.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2017-11-07 at 06:18 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

1- miltank
    2- nidoking
    3- gengar
    4- alolan meowth (with pickup and payday)
    5- turtwig
    6- Starmie

4 that can heal themselves. Meowth setup is a cash machine. And with the right TM moves and training nidoking can wreck almost anything. Slap fire, ice, and thunder punch on him along with aqua tail. Then train for physical attack and speed. Lastly, put toxic on my miltank.

Between meowth and miltank I could make a comfy living selling the random finds and moo moo milk on days I didnt feel like battling.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2017-12-11 at 09:03 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

So my first thought was "I am in nowhere near good enough shape to go running around a continent on my own two feet"

And then I remembered the mobility many Pokemon offer. Specifically Teleport is a thing. So first pokemon on the team has to be someone with teleport. For that purpose, I'd go with a Ralts, or possibly a Cosmog if an option. Wouldn't want either one evolved, Gardevoir is kind of creepy from a real life perspective, and Cosmog becomes a legendary (but is possibly legendary itself? Seems unclear).

Okay so that's taken care of, now we can teleport wherever we want to go (I'm assuming game mechanics of teleporting only to last pokemon center do not apply).

Next after that I would go with Lycanroc Day Form. He's a good dog, and makes for a solid stand-by companion.

Others I would probably rotate out frequently. I suspect in real life I'd tend towards smaller easier to manage mons over giant monsters. More Eevee, less T-tar. But yeah no set team per se.

Edit: one other Mon I would definitely have is Bewear the Pooh Bear. Soft and cuddly, decently effective, and the first Pokemon I bothered to shiny hunt.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2017-12-12 at 10:49 AM.