New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #1103 - The Discussion Thread

Oh man, for some reason I absolutely lost it at the final panel.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mr Scruffy has his eyes open, but Blackwing closed his. I had to zoom to make sure... Vampire's Domination is based on Dominate Person and so only affects humanoids, in principle. One can never be too cautious with those rules...

Now, an interesting little detail is that V's eyes are closed. But she cast Mind Blank, so she doesn't need that. That can't be a mistake. It means she doesn't want to reveal the existence of that protection to the vampires. We'll see if this has an impact or not.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You mean as a Vampire right ? Or can you make someone into a devil ?
    Theoretically, lawful evil souls go to a lawful evil afterlife and have a chance of becoming a devil. The process however takes so long as to not be worth counting on. Like, tens of thousands of years just to get off the ground.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Well, well. Durkula has identified V as the most dangerous enemy. Which, by OotS logic, means that V will not be the most dangerous enemy.

It is time for Elan to rise.

Also, brother Sandstone is a nasty piece of work now that he's a vampire.
    Fangs for the praise for Elan's skills. Here's hoping the Order doesn't have to stake everything on Elan.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

What if V cast Resilient Sphere on self first and then dismissed the cage? Would that keep the vamps off long enough?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

6. - Top - End - #66

Post Re: OOTS #1103 - The Discussion Thread

As always great Giant And as i always enjoy doing, i will get into the Order's shoes as a player and try to think of the best way out of this situation. Since i know Rich hates to have a surprise spoiled, i will place my battle speculation in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    The best way is having Haley reveal one of her wands as having Dimension Door, as that spell specifically bypasses Forcecage. Even better, a basic D door wand (7th caster level) would allow her to take up to 2 other willing persons. Sure, D door wand charges cost a pretty penny, and Haley of all people will be loath to use them, but this is the kind of situation where burning a charge is justified.

The best course is to take V and Roy. By being teleported out of the forcecage instead of dismissing it, V could ready a spell to be cast as soon as he is out, while Roy protects V and Haley from any vampire trying to melee them. As for V's spell, a very nasty one against a bunch of vampires standing around is a wall of fire, ring of fire version, 20 feet radius centered on the cage, with the damaging side in (of course).

I specifically mention wall of fire because it deals DOUBLE DAMAGE TO UNDEAD with no save. Vampires trapped between the forcecage and the ring of fire can stand around taking 2d4x2 damage per round, or cross it for absolutely brutal (2d6+16)x2 fire damage. Given the typical vampire spawn has 29 hp, trying to cross the ring of fire would insta-kill all but the luckiest spawn and singe even high level vampires, making them easy pickings for Roy.

Meanwhile, Belkar, Elan and Minrah can sit safely in the cage, as it blocks spells, and thus should block wall of fire's heat wave damage. Haley can provide some support by using fire arrows (if any remain), but in her case it might be better to keep her eyes closed lest she gets dominated into sneak attacking V. As for V, the wall of fire alone will be enough to win the battle, but i would cast the remaining mind blank on Roy (unless that spell got drained). Despite Roy's good track on will saves, this is the kind of scenario where Roy might need to roll 15+ will saves per round,
    and simple statistics dictate he will eventually roll a 1.

If a D door wand is not a thing... well, i actually don't have much of a plan in that case. If V dismisses the cage, the order might prevail by the simple fact that Roy can deal ~30 damage per swing to undead (assuming he OHKO a spawn in #1102). The problem is all the negative levels the order will take on such a messy melee would cripple them against he pivotal fight against Durkula

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick, Elan, speak some puns, maybe you can still do some Psychic damage to them.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If V has a Wall of Fire, which she really should, is there any reason she can't just cast it around the vampires, damaging side in, and then just sit inside the Forcecage until they all roast to death? I'm not sure how the rules apply here - do you need an unobstructed line of effect for WoF?

Assuming it works, they're undead, so they're going to be soaking up 4d4 damage per round. They could try to run out through it, but 4d6 + 34 should fry the mooks and seriously singe Sandstone.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBiddles View Post
    If V has a Wall of Fire, which she really should, is there any reason she can't just cast it around the vampires, damaging side in, and then just sit inside the Forcecage until they all roast to death? I'm not sure how the rules apply here - do you need an unobstructed line of effect for WoF?

Assuming it works, they're undead, so they're going to be soaking up 4d4 damage per round. They could try to run out through it, but 4d6 + 34 should fry the mooks and seriously singe Sandstone.
    I think so but that’s another high level slot and they need to face count durkula at the end of this.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thoughts about this comic:
    1) "everyone close your eyes" is the type of suggestion I expect from Elan, not from Roy. I knew Elan was having an influence on Roy, and Roy's facial expression in the last panel suggests that he knows it, too!
    2) Impressed with Durkon's plan for the vampires to "lay still" and them "come for [the elf]" first. Vampire Durkon is a much better strategist than alive Durkon!
    3) Also impressed with Brother Sandstone's restraint, and his choice to influence Minrah by appealing to her desire to kill demons.

Not sure how the order is going to handle this.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JBiddles View Post
    If V has a Wall of Fire, which she really should, is there any reason she can't just cast it around the vampires, damaging side in, and then just sit inside the Forcecage until they all roast to death?
    If V was able to cast spells out through the cage, then those outside would also be able to cast spells in, making it rather less than useful.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Noodz View Post
    As always great Giant And as i always enjoy doing, i will get into the Order's shoes as a player and try to think of the best way out of this situation. Since i know Rich hates to have a surprise spoiled, i will place my battle speculation in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    <snip> but i would cast the remaining mind blank on Roy (unless that spell got drained). Despite Roy's good track on will saves, this is the kind of scenario where Roy might need to roll 15+ will saves per round,
    and simple statistics dictate he will eventually roll a 1.

<snip>
    Im rather confident that spell will serve another purpose

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Of course. Vamps are glorified bats. And bats are winged rats. And he's a CAT.
    "Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat."sir T. Pratchett, witches abroad
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

14. - Top - End - #74

Honestly, if the world weren't at stake, now would be a good time for the Order to just take a nap.

Or, for someone to say, "later that day".

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    2) Impressed with Durkon's plan for the vampires to "lay still" and them "come for [the elf]" first. Vampire Durkon is a much better strategist than alive Durkon!
    3) Also impressed with Brother Sandstone's restraint, and his choice to influence Minrah by appealing to her desire to kill demons.
    Durkon* probably should tell his minions not to spill the tactics that fast, though. Now the Order knows V is the priority target. As thralls to Durkon or one of the other vampires, these new guys may not have the flexibility to change tactics.

In fact, knowing that V is now the vampires' target is probably crucial to however the Order overcomes this fight.
    Even the wind will know agony.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Soooo.
    Let's see, most of Elan's songs are mind-affecting and therefore useless against vampires, but Song of Freedom and Countersong would still work. Doesn't seem very helpful unless the Order has time for 10 rounds of country music.
    Did Vaarsuvius ever learn the Shout spell? That might work through a forcecage seeing as we just saw that sound passes through it...
    Last edited by Tiltowait; 2017-10-26 at 05:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Why would it have to be V? Haley could easily have a wand that can dispel the Baleful Polymorph, and it's not completely impossible that even Minrah could cast Dispel Magic successfully. Sure, it would be very unlikely, but like you say, this is a webcomic.
    It's a caster level check. Miron is a minimum of level 15 (to cast horrid wilting), which gives a DC of 26, a 20 does not auto-succeed and wands are usually at the lowest available caster level.

V has a caster level of 17, with a dispel magic V needs to roll a 16 or more (because dispel magic has a maximum of +10), with a greater dispel magic V needs to roll a 9 or more, and is blowing a level 6 spell.

A minimum level wand of dispel magic auto-fails, a maximum (effective) level wand of dispel magic costs twice as much and needs to roll a 16, but if it's a wand you can just keep trying till it works. A cast spell needs to be from a level 6 caster to succeed even on a 20 which may leave Minrah out, even if she prepared dispel magic.

"Realistically", it has to be V.

Edited to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    Soooo.
    Let's see, most of Elan's songs are mind-affecting and therefore useless against vampires, but Song of Freedom and Countersong would still work. Doesn't seem very helpful unless the Order has time for 10 rounds of country music.
    Did Vaarsuvius ever learn the Shout spell? That might work through a forcecage seeing as we just saw that sound passes through it...
    Song of Freedom is a good suggestion. With the forcecage up they have time, and it costs only a bardic music check to try. Sure, have Elan try to Song of Freedom Bloodfeast. That couldn't go wrong...

I like it, but I'm not sure how it works for non-D&D's, does using Song of Freedom to break a transformation seem intuitive?
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2017-10-26 at 05:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Their situation is so worrying!

Art bit: Her hammer is gone after Roy pulled her?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fan4battle View Post
    Their situation is so worrying!

Art bit: Her hammer is gone after Roy pulled her?
    You can see her drop the hammer when Roy pulls her.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Does Mass Cure Light Wounds work through the force cage?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theoretically, lawful evil souls go to a lawful evil afterlife and have a chance of becoming a devil. The process however takes so long as to not be worth counting on. Like, tens of thousands of years just to get off the ground.
    Oh. That sounds like it kinda defeat the purpose of being in Hel in the first place. Or maybe not. Is it the same way for other afterlives (like the Greenhilt family could eventually turn into devas) ?

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I think that Durkon is as clever as Nokrud but due to his problem of (non)-assertiveness never really treid to come up with tactics opting to let Roy do that. Remember how he elected to do nothing during the Split Party arc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Durkon* probably should tell his minions not to spill the tactics that fast, though. Now the Order knows V is the priority target. As thralls to Durkon or one of the other vampires, these new guys may not have the flexibility to change tactics.

In fact, knowing that V is now the vampires' target is probably crucial to however the Order overcomes this fight.
    True that timing was less than perfect. Between Hel herself and those various vampires that looks like a systemic problem for that team.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Mr Scruffy has his eyes open, but Blackwing closed his. I had to zoom to make sure... Vampire's Domination is based on Dominate Person and so only affects humanoids, in principle. One can never be too cautious with those rules...

Now, an interesting little detail is that V's eyes are closed. But she cast Mind Blank, so she doesn't need that. That can't be a mistake. It means she doesn't want to reveal the existence of that protection to the vampires. We'll see if this has an impact or not.
    Damn, after the second page of comments, I was hoping to have been the first one to notice that detail and to come to the conclusion V is ready for some big bluff.

Oh, well, next time, maybe...

23. - Top - End - #83

The spell that would really work here is...

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion (Empowered, of course)
    They seem to
    1) last more that one round, so V can fire it off, and then dispel the cage
    2) be directed by V, so won't attack allies
    3) there are at the very least 3, probably many more tentacles spawned. Empowering would increase number of tentacles by 50%, which would probably be enough to keep vampires at bay.

With V's considerable level they might deal sufficient damage to off low-level vampires, or at least keep them suitably shocked.
    Protection From Fire is first thing for vampire clerics to cast on themselves when expecting an Evocation wizard, so some physical or force damage would be a natural choice for V.

The only problem is, that with the ethical and upstanding direction the comic has taken since those early days there can't be any actual intrusion jokes, because that is ultimate evil even when used on undead abominations that try to bring about the end of the world, but simply omitting the uncomfortable two words or V mentioning that (s)he developed a cruelty-free version that simply wraps enemies and stabs them to death in accord to the PG-13 moral values would be quite conceivable.
    Last edited by Trillium; 2017-10-26 at 05:31 PM.
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh. That sounds like it kinda defeat the purpose of being in Hel in the first place. Or maybe not. Is it the same way for other afterlives (like the Greenhilt family could eventually turn into devas) ?
    Yes, but its even more roundabout, requiring one basically get absorbed into the plane and then spat out as a celestial. The evil afterlives at least start you off as a baby demon/devil/whatever.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

Something to note: dismissing a spell is a standard action. So dismissing the forcecage would allow Vaarsuvius to cast a Quickened spell the same round.

At Intelligence 24 and Evoker level 16, Vaarsuvius would have started the day with 3 8th-level spell slots, 5 7th-level spell slots, 5 6th-level spell slots, and 6 5th-level spell slots. For 8th-level spells, Vaarsuvius has cast 1 mind blank, and prepared another mind blank and an unknown evocation in her remaining 8th-level spell slots. For 7th-level spells, Vaarsuvius has cast 1 force cage and has 4 unknown spells that may not be conjurations or necromancies remaining in her 7th-level spell slots. All her other slots above 4th level remain unused.

Vaarsuvius would have lost 1 8th-level prepared spell when she gained a negative level. Because her second mind blank was mentioned, it is likely that she lost her evocation from her specialist slot.

All of which is to say that Vaarsuvius probably will not use a Quickened wall of fire (an 8th-level evocation) the same round after dropping the forcecage, but may use a Quickened fireball (a 7th-level evocation) on the vampires down one end of the hallway, possibly in tandem with Haley casting from a wand, while Roy goes a-cleavin' down the hallway in the other direction. Other 3rd-level spells and below are, of course, also on the table to be Quickened.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-10-26 at 05:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Brother Fangstone! perfect!!!

I'd expect him to make her into a vampire (she's at least 5th level) and, why not, bring her along. For Hel, in terms of clerics, the more, the merrier.
    Yeah, I mean, if he's intending to keep his promise to the letter he left out the "...after I kill you and raise you as a vampire" part.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This'd be a funny tactic:

V is the vampires' priority target. So someone, V or Haley with a wand, casts Obscuring Mist or one of its many derivatives. Then V or Elan cast illusions making it so that every living creature in the Forcecage looks like V, and Haley makes them all fly.

The Vaarsuvius shuffle!

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    This'd be a funny tactic:

V is the vampires' priority target. So someone, V or Haley with a wand, casts Obscuring Mist or one of its many derivatives. Then V or Elan cast illusions making it so that every living creature in the Forcecage looks like V, and Haley makes them all fly.

The Vaarsuvius shuffle!
    Then the Lawyers come on behalf of madame Rowling and drag the Order away... WHICH HAS BEEN THE PLAN ALL ALONG!
    Roy shakes lawyers off with some legal mumbo-jumbo and Order engages vampires from safe distance.
    Last edited by Trillium; 2017-10-26 at 05:50 PM.
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Mind Blank protect against vampiric gaze? I'd assume it would but I don't know the rules.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Does Mind Blank protect against vampiric gaze? I'd assume it would but I don't know the rules.
    It does. Mind Blank works against everything; it is the highest-level mental abjuration in the game, and is kind of overkill in many cases (fitting, considering it's V we're talking about).