New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC-Interactive RP Thread]

This is page is the general RP page for our Strange Aeons campaign.

This is the link for the IC thread: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC].
    This is the link for OOC thread: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [OOC].

So, here is where the RP magic lives when it doesn't drive the story. Now, obviously anything which is time-sensitive or needs to be discussed IC lives there because it is absolutely intrinsic to the forward motion of the plot itself. Here is where the characters (not the players) chat to each other about ... whatever. Side comments in the middle of things still are IC. NPCs are also people that might chat to one, many, or all of you; but the last is likely only when doing general discussion, not setting up the plot.
    NOTE: The "IC" verisimilitude is to be kept. This is not "off the record" RP ... what happens here, even if not a prime mover for the story, still becomes part of canon and what has been discussed among characters. Again, "off camera" is not "off record."

My normal rule of Spoilers is particularly necessary, as there might be several conversations going at once, some of which might not affect your PC and this helps compartmentalize those discussions.
    Please use this Spoiler format to identify participants in a conversation.
    Spoiler: Sender(s) of Message(s) >>> Receiver(s) of Message(s)
    Show
    Yup, it's really that simple.

So, as an example, Delta wants to say something to Paxre, and this thread is used because it might not have anything to do with the real plot (but still might become important later). It is also to denote retcons (within reason). So, let's say meemaas' character Delta wants to ask Paxre something. In a post, meemaas woud write this.
    Spoiler: Delta >>> Paxre
    Show
    "Paxre, there is a strange effect that occurs when I am near you, and doubled ... tripled in intensity once the link was established," said Delta. "I will admit that it is dark and discomfiting."

Then, PSinger might respond in a post:
    Spoiler: Paxre >>> Delta
    Show
    "Is there question in there somewhere?" Paxre asked with no sense of sarcasm at all, which is quite against what one would expect for irony, and likely confused as insult by most, anyway.

Of course, since specific persons are talking to another (in a one-on-one), narration isn't even necessary if you don't have anything special to mention/ RP about intonation or conversation-actions, and you can just "talk in character" with the proper color. Still, the grammarian in me asks that just as with IC you respect the power of punctuation ... particularly quotation marks ... and remember speech color. You may need to embolden speech if it is hard to read against the olive field of spoilers.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC-Interactive RP Thread]

Spoiler: Corrin >>> Corrin's Family (Whoever is home after the meeting)
    Show
    Getting home, Corrin makes sure to close the door loudly to announce his presence.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Eliezer >>> Tom, Skald, & Shouting Tree ... Tavey to stand guard outside the room
    Show
    The next morning when what remains of his crew shows, Eliezer has had many objects brought into a conference table. The first thing he points to is the crazy crown that was taken off of the gargoyle king they had slain after the dark mountain pass.

"I've had a chance to think and pray over the mystery that is the crown of the gargoyle king. It is aptly named the Gargoyle Crown, and it has quite a history..." and with that, he goes into the history and power of the crown.
    Spoiler: Gargoyle Crown
    Show
    The wizards of ancient Thanaclan crafted several dozen of these crowns as rewards for those gargoyle minions who served them well. Over the centuries, most of the gargoyle crowns have been lost or destroyed, but a few remain here or there, often in the possession of the descendants of those original favored gargoyle minions.

Crafted from pieces of carefully carved granite, a gargoyle crown features three sharp points in the front with a series of small points ringing the rest of the wearer's head. The crown has two primary powers. Once per day as a free action, the crown can be activated to give the wearer DR 5/ adamantine for 10 minutes, giving his skin the appearance of stone. The crown also grants its wearer a special attack usable once per day against creatures touching the natural stone or earth. The wearer gains a +4 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using this special strike. The wearer must declare he is using this ability before making the attack. This item takes up the "Head" body slot when worn.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item; stoneskin, true strike; Price 14,000 gp; Weight 4 lb.
    "Skald lost his eye in the battle with the gargoyle king. Does anyone have any problem if Skald gets it? Skald, how about you? If someone comes at you with a cold iron weapon, you can use the gargoyle crown to mess them up for a little bit, and you're not currently wearing any magic on your head. Or, does the heavy stone not go with your ensemble?"

He then motions to a bunch of armor and weapons, many earrings, and an open chest of booty.
    Spoiler: Treasure of the Dancer's Circlet
    Show

Masterwork Scimitar (2)
    Heavy Crossbow (2) w/ 18 bolts
    Light Crossbow (16) w/ 160 bolts

Masterwork Studded Leather (2)
    Leather armor (16 suits)
    Buckler (18)

Earrings (16), each worth 15 gp

Single large trunk of 2280 gp (consisting of coins, a few flawed gems, and several pieces of jewelry)

"Tom, Shouting Tree, this is what remains of the treasure of the Dancer's Circlet that we've been lugging around with the supplies. Before we divvy the value of the earrings and the chest, I want to know your thoughts on the weapons and armor. The angelic part of me wants to simply donate to Farshore's militia to foster goodwill. The dwarven part of me wants to give the same to Farshore on a credit basis, but not demanding money at this time given the state of affairs. What are your thoughts?

"I'm sorry, Skald, but this batch here is just what Tom and Shouting Tree and I earned before I was able to be rescued by the Sea Wyvern with these two "new recruits" in tow, however..."

... and the last thing he brings out are three identical necklaces. "These were taken off of the mummies of the Dark Mountain Pass. Each are worth 500 gp. Split four ways, that should come to 375 gp apiece.

"I wanted to make sure that we got this taken care of now that our voyage as a shipwrecked crew is finally over. In addition to the above business, does anyone have any concerns they wish to raise? I am not going to make any decisions or recommendations to Lavinia concerning the various tasks we have until I've had a chance to talk to the Jade Ravens and the three locals that have volunteered to help."

Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Is that good? Did I miss anything from the sheet you sent me?
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm knocking this out while I can, almost assembly-line fashion...
    Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Corrin
    Show
    When you meet Rabbi Cohen in the morning, he greets you warmly and shows you to a seat at a conference table. He has gone to the effort of making sure there are a couple stacked cushions on the chair he directs you to. To his credit, they are set on top of a blanket that is rough, so that the pillows don't spill everywhere when you sit on them.

"Good morning, Corrin ... Fiddlebitter, I'm told is your family name? I am sure there is an interesting story there. You may call me Rabbi Cohen. It's still morning, so may I pour you a glass of water?"

--RP Reply, if any---

"I understand that you are a cook at the Last Coconut, but that you have a unique magical skill set that made a metal barrier at the chapel to keep pirates out? I want to thank you for running towards danger instead of away, and that is one half of the mindset we're looking for. In that regard, I thank you for volunteering. The other half is not just attitude, but how you can back it up. I need to know what skill sets you possess - mundane and exceptional - so that I may best know how to recommend you to Lady Lavinia. So, Mr. Fiddlebitter, what do you bring to the table?"

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Hoggie Wainwright (& Rusty)
    Show

When you meet Rabbi Cohen in the morning, he greets you warmly and shows you to a seat at a conference table.

"Good morning, Hogarth ... Wainwright? Am I correct? You may call me Rabbi Cohen. It's still morning, so may I pour you a glass of water? So, what is the name of your silvanshee ... familiar, no doubt." He winks to Hoggie at this and nods. "Yes, Mr. Wainwright. Despite the odd coloration of your friend, I am enough of a scholar (but only just enough) to recognize the difference. It comes with the territory of having had to research my own heritage and nature." He flaps his wings just a little for emphasis.

--RP Reply, if any---

"I want to thank you for running towards danger instead of away, and that is one half of the mindset we're looking for. In that regard, I thank you for volunteering. The other half is not just attitude, but how you can back it up. I need to know what skill sets you possess - mundane and exceptional - so that I may best know how to recommend you to Lady Lavinia. So, Mr. Wainwright, what do you bring to the table?"

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Vona
    Show
    When you meet Rabbi Cohen in the morning, he greets you warmly and shows you to a seat at a conference table. He has gone to the effort of making sure there are a couple stacked cushions on the chair he directs you to. To his credit, they are set on top of a blanket that is rough, so that the pillows don't spill everywhere when you sit on them.

"Good morning, Ms. Lanarvonack Kruweck? That is your name, right? You may call me Rabbi Cohen. It's still morning, so may I pour you a glass of water?"

--RP Reply, if any---

"Witnesses say that you single-handedly took down a half-orc during the raid on Farshore. I want to thank you for running towards danger instead of away, and that is one half of the mindset we're looking for. In that regard, I thank you for volunteering. The other half is not just attitude, but how you can back it up. I need to know what skill sets you possess - mundane and exceptional - so that I may best know how to recommend you to Lady Lavinia. So, Ms. Kruweck, what do you bring to the table?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie>>>Rabbi Cohen
    Show

The good looking young man who arrives at the appointed meeting time is obviously Hogarth Wainwright but his appearance is drastically different from the day before. Gone are rough homespun garments and leather sandals and in their place are a strange assortment of adventuring gear. His long hair is tied behind his head in a short ponytail and a thin headband encrusted with emerald gems decorated his brow. His lanky frame is covered with an elaborate set of well made leather armor fashioned in the likeness of interlocking leaves of various shades of green. The leather moves as a second skin and his movements are sure and light as he enters the Church. Even more exotic is the large , impossibly thin sword sheathed over his right shoulder. The grip of the sword is two handed and decorated with Elvish runes and the tip reaches to a hand span of the floor. A leather backpack with many pockets and flaps is partially concealed by a green woolen cloak.
    His face is expressionless and his gaze slips over Rabbi Cohen before he sits down and sets Rusty down on the floor.

When you meet Rabbi Cohen in the morning, he greets you warmly and shows you to a seat at a conference table.

"Good morning, Hogarth ... Wainwright? Am I correct? You may call me Rabbi Cohen. It's still morning, so may I pour you a glass of water? So, what is the name of your silvanshee ... familiar, no doubt." He winks to Hoggie at this and nods. "Yes, Mr. Wainwright. Despite the odd coloration of your friend, I am enough of a scholar (but only just enough) to recognize the difference. It comes with the territory of having had to research my own heritage and nature." Heflaps his wings just a little for emphasis.

At the direct questioning, Hogarth’s piercing green gaze sharpens as awareness floods the man’s features and his eyes lock with Rabbi Cohen with a disturbing intensity.
    “My name is Hogarth Wainwright. People call me Hoggie. This is my friend Rusphalia or Rusty for short. Yes , I will have some water, Thank you. You are a dwarven type of Chalkdri. An angelic outsider with militaristic tendicies. You are a long way from home.”
    After the short outburst, Hoggie’s face goes slack and he stares into the air over Rabbi Cohen’s right shoulder.”

"I want to thank you for running towards danger instead of away, and that is one half of the mindset we're looking for. In that regard, I thank you for volunteering. The other half is not just attitude, but how you can back it up. I need to know what skill sets you possess - mundane and exceptional - so that I may best know how to recommend you to Lady Lavinia. So, Mr. Wainwright, what do you bring to the table?"

“Well, there was no reason to believe he’d always be there
    But if you don't put faith in what you believe in
    It's getting you nowhere
    'Cos it hurts, you never let go
    Don't look down, just look up
    Cos he’s always there to behind you, just to remind you
    Two hearts, believing in just one mind
    You know we're two hearts believing in just one mind”
    Spoiler: credit
    Show

Phil Collins, “Two Hearts” Songwriters: Lamont Herbert Dozier / Phillip David Charles CollinsTwo Hearts lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Downtown Music Publishing

Hoggie takes his first two fingers as he speaks and then touches his temple and then reaches towards Rabbi Cohen’s temple before stopping inches away. He repeats the motion twice before smiling expectantly at the space over Rabbi Cohens shoulder and nodding.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2018-08-30 at 07:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vona> > >Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    Vona raised an eyebrow at the rabbi's introduction. "Wow. It's been about a decade since a non-gnome got that right. Yes, though I tend to go by Vona as it's shorter. I was originally going by Lona as it was a part of my name but someone made a typo and it stuck. And yes, I'll love a drink of water." She takes a deep drink before continuing.

"Yes, I took out the orc. It's a pity that he was dumb enough not to focus on the obvious threat and instead attack Ruby. It's as though he was playing some sick game and went for the most points possible or something." She shook her had sadly. "Still, to the task at hand. I'm an engineer by trade, so I have an understanding about machines and how they work.[[+19 Kn: Engineering, +17 Disable Device]]. I also do a lot of building, while mostly mechanical things, I can do simpler things like swords and armor easily enough. [[Create Wondrous Object, Forge Ring, +18 Craft (Weapon and armorsmith)]]. And while I don't really like to add to the sterotype of "the tricksy gnome", I am quick on my feet, and I can hide when I need to [[+17 Acrobatics, +17 Stealth, +12 UMD]]."

"As far as combat capabilities, I have this." She brings up a strange mechanical gauntlet, with odd wires and crystals festooned upon it, but all streamlined; there's no random parts to get caught on things. "This is the Forward-emitting Ion Stabilization Technology, or F.I.S.T. for short. Yes, I know that it should technically be the F.I.E.S.T,, but that ruins the flow. With it, can encase the device and therefore my fist with a field of negatively charged ions, which I can use to deal damage to objects, either via direct contact or via essentially a ray of charged particles [[Destruction sphere, base blast only, Destructive Blade]]. I can also use it to effectively create constructs of known matter by the application of energy to mimic true matter. It works best with classical elements like stone, but I can get some organic materials like wood. I've even been able to make some alchemical creations, but I have yet to make the matrix fully stable, however, so the matter decays into nothingness. Best I've been able to manage thus far is a few hours, but I keep working on figuring it out. [[Creation, alchemical creation, classical materials]]."

"I also have some familiarity with the local magic the natives used after they rescued me after a flash flood. Took the longest time to convince them that I wasn't a child, but a gnome and therefore supposed to be this size, though I don't think they were fully convinced until my brother showed up with a rescue party about a month later and they saw his beard. Still, I learned a lot about the Akasha as they call it. I admit to not really knowing the difference academically; I understand magic more in its practical applications [[No Kn: Arcana, but +18 Spellcraft]], but the way they weave the energy is really fascinating, like a circuit."

After helping herself to another drink, so turns to the Rabbi. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask? Or perhaps you want a practical demonstration?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2018-08-30 at 08:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Hoggie
    Show
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Do I know what the headband, armor, or sword might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    At the direct questioning, Hogarth’s piercing green gaze sharpens as awareness floods the man’s features and his eyes lock with Rabbi Cohen with a disturbing intensity. “My name is Hogarth Wainwright. People call me Hoggie. This is my friend Rusphalia or Rusty for short. Yes , I will have some water, Thank you. You are a dwarven type of Chalkdri. An angelic outsider with militaristic tendicies. You are a long way from home.”
    After the short outburst, Hoggie’s face goes slack and he stares into the air over Rabbi Cohen’s right shoulder.
    Rabbi Cohen looks at each in turn, "Mr. Wainwright ... Ms.? Mr.? Rusphalia ... a pleasure. And people looking for a more familiar with me can call me 'Doc Cohen.'" Looking back to Hoggie he nods several times deeply again with a broad smile to show he's impressed. "It's actually chalkydri, but yes, very impressive. I am quite skilled in planar lore and cosmology, but I had to look to Moradin's gifts to find out what I actually am. That ties into home. I'm from an enclave of seacliff dwarves that live in the Sasserine area. The only difference with I and 'my people' is that the seacliff dwarves can hold their breath for a very long time, but I was blessed from birth with gills - something entirely separate from what even a chalkydri would possess. I thought I was simply a gifted one of the Seacliff all of my life until my life began to take a more adventurous bent and I began to discover the power of my heritage over time. The guess has been angel, but you are the first person I've ever met that's been able to define it so precisely. You even seem to know the tendencies of the chalkydri, and that gives you a wing up on me."

With Hoggie's strange poetic chant, Rabbi Cohen simply observes Hoggie (yup, very much like a therapist).
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    Hoggie takes his first two fingers as he speaks and then touches his temple and then reaches towards Rabbi Cohen’s temple before stopping inches away. He repeats the motion twice before smiling expectantly at the space over Rabbi Cohens shoulder and nodding.
    Rabbi Cohen shakes his head, and Hoggie only really gets close to his head (and the big, black-brimmed hat he wears) once when the dwarf-angel stops his hands from getting closer. "Sorry, Mr. Wainwright, but if that is a pantomime request to somehow enter my mind psychically or psionically, I am going to say 'No' for this first meeting. Use your words, please. Your words."

Show
    Spoiler: digiman
    Show
    Okay, every time I see a set of brackets, I assume that you obviously don't speak character sheet to me, but you are trying to tell me in some way of your capabilities. So, every time you go to brackets I assume that the fluff portion ends and you go on a tangent with Rabbi Cohen, using introductory phrases or whatever someone knowledgeable in these things might know, telling anecdotes to emphasize physical prowess, and whatever. You will actually find that Rabbi Cohen is more than fine going down these rabbit holes because he not only likes to talk, but he is a fellow academic and it has been awhile since anyone has been willing to just nerd-babble with him.

Vona raised an eyebrow at the rabbi's introduction. "Wow. It's been about a decade since a non-gnome got that right. Yes, though I tend to go by Vona as it's shorter. I was originally going by Lona as it was a part of my name but someone made a typo and it stuck. And yes, I'll love a drink of water." She takes a deep drink before continuing.
    As Rabbi Cohen gets her some water, he adds, "I'll be honest, I have never learned how to read or speak gnome. This form I'm blessed with allows me to speak and understand the spoken language of anyone I'm with, but only while I am present with them and they are actually speaking that language. I keep the memory of what was spoken-translated, of course, but I don't 'pick up a new language' every time I meet someone. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that I even speak that language, but this truespeech is some form of linguistics that is whatever I choose to speak - while keeping in mind I am choosing to use truespeech - because everyone around me understands me when I use it, regardless of their own speech capabilities."
    "Yes, I took out the orc. It's a pity that he was dumb enough not to focus on the obvious threat and instead attack Ruby. It's as though he was playing some sick game and went for the most points possible or something." She shook her had sadly. "Still, to the task at hand. I'm an engineer by trade, so I have an understanding about machines and how they work.[[+19 Kn: Engineering, +17 Disable Device]].
    Rabbi Cohen is completely in awe at Vona's engineering knowledge, and has absolutely no knowledge or training of the weird technical things you mention later. However, he might still impress her. His knowledge DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE, and yet his grounding in engineering principles is very solid (> +10, but not by much). Surprisingly (or perhaps not), he also claims to have a solid grounding in being able to apply his engineering knowledge in dangerous situations to be able to overcome all manner of mundane traps, but he is not like Shouting Tree, whom he claims can actually do the same with magical traps (Disable Device is ~+10).
    I also do a lot of building, while mostly mechanical things, I can do simpler things like swords and armor easily enough. [[Create Wondrous Object, Forge Ring, +18 Craft (Weapon and armorsmith)]].
    Again, he's impressed by your ability to make lasting works of art (to him), which is fitting as a priest of Moradin, the Soulforger. He has no ability to make magically-charged objects. His dwarven training was in the fashioning of armor, but he has only the most basic apprenticeship skill, backed up by a keen intuition (Craft [armor] +8). He does love to "talk forge," though.
    And while I don't really like to add to the sterotype of "the tricksy gnome", I am quick on my feet, and I can hide when I need to [[+17 Acrobatics, +17 Stealth, +12 UMD]]."
    Rabbi Cohen trained himself in the latter part of his adventuring to wear heavy armor, and part of mysterious gifts that he and others received when they shipwrecked on the Isle of Dread, his was a suit of fabulous mithral armor and his hammer. Unfortunately, his armor was destroyed in battle, but it still saved his life during the time he had it. Even when his arms were weaker than a human farmer, he was possessed of extraordinary agility among his people, but he never tried to capitalize on it with anything so wild as acrobatics. He enjoys the nearly supernatural reaction time he's been given to respond to situations or get out of the way of danger, but he would much rather be able to face a dangerous day wrapped in well-forged steel or better. Still, for most of his early career he was a physically weak dwarf with stronger folk about him, and he learned the value of a soft step (Stealth ~+10). Because of his extremely academic background and that others in his group in his earlier career were more physical, it fell to him to figure out how to work magic to make it work for the party. (We're matched with a +12 UMD!)

[GM-Question Break...]
    Spoiler: GM ...
    Show
    Before doing the breakdown for the following section, what does Eliezer know about SoP stuff?
    EDIT: And akashic magic?
    "As far as combat capabilities, I have this." She brings up a strange mechanical gauntlet, with odd wires and crystals festooned upon it, but all streamlined; there's no random parts to get caught on things. "This is the Forward-emitting Ion Stabilization Technology, or F.I.S.T. for short. Yes, I know that it should technically be the F.I.E.S.T,, but that ruins the flow. With it, can encase the device and therefore my fist with a field of negatively charged ions, which I can use to deal damage to objects, either via direct contact or via essentially a ray of charged particles [[Destruction sphere, base blast only, Destructive Blade]]. I can also use it to effectively create constructs of known matter by the application of energy to mimic true matter. It works best with classical elements like stone, but I can get some organic materials like wood. I've even been able to make some alchemical creations, but I have yet to make the matrix fully stable, however, so the matter decays into nothingness. Best I've been able to manage thus far is a few hours, but I keep working on figuring it out. [[Creation, alchemical creation, classical materials]]."

"I also have some familiarity with the local magic the natives used after they rescued me after a flash flood. Took the longest time to convince them that I wasn't a child, but a gnome and therefore supposed to be this size, though I don't think they were fully convinced until my brother showed up with a rescue party about a month later and they saw his beard. Still, I learned a lot about the Akasha as they call it. I admit to not really knowing the difference academically; I understand magic more in its practical applications [[No Kn: Arcana, but +18 Spellcraft]], but the way they weave the energy is really fascinating, like a circuit."

After helping herself to another drink, so turns to the Rabbi. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask? Or perhaps you want a practical demonstration?"
    Last edited by PSinger; 2018-08-31 at 09:37 AM.
    Current Games

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie >>>Doc Cohen
    Show

A look of frustration floats across Hoggie’s features briefly before clearing. He rises and extends a hand to Doc Cohen, smiles and speaks in moderate tone:
    You don't know how you met meYou don't know why
    You can't turn around
    And say goodbye

All you know is when I'm with you
    I make you free
    And swim through your veins
    Like a fish in the sea

I'm singin'
    FOLLOW ME
    Everything is all right
    I'll be the one to tuck you in at night
    And if you want to leave I can guarantee
    You won't find nobody else like me“

Show

Credit :uncle kracker “follow me”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Corrin >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    Corrin arrives and takes his seat, but he needs to climb somewhat to sit upon it. He also silently nods and accepts the glass of water. It is noticeable that his outfit is different then when you saw him the day before. Yesterday his clothes had vibrant colors of yellow and red, but today his clothes are drained of color. With a white undershirt with a black vest and dark grey pants. The clothes are still covered by the same loosely worn robe from the previous day which looks to be made of twine.

After listening to Cohen's words, Corrin moves his staff to the crook of his arm which holds his glass and his free and moves in arcane gestures as words appear which read, "I do much more for Farshore than cook, and I also find it strange that you think defending my home is anything more noteworthy than what is expected. Regardless, you wish to know of my abilities correct? I am martially trained in monastic arts, though it is more for the health benefits that such training provides than a preferred method of combat. I also, as you know, possess a variety of magical abilities. These abilities include Creation, as you have seen with the wall, Destruction, which is my preferred method of fighting, Illusion, by which I can speak without breaking my vow of silence (and also remain undetected by enemies,) and Protection, which can shield me and others form harm."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Vona (Cont'd)
    Show
    "As far as combat capabilities, I have this." She brings up a strange mechanical gauntlet, with odd wires and crystals festooned upon it, but all streamlined; there's no random parts to get caught on things. "This is the Forward-emitting Ion Stabilization Technology, or F.I.S.T. for short. Yes, I know that it should technically be the F.I.E.S.T,, but that ruins the flow. With it, can encase the device and therefore my fist with a field of negatively charged ions, which I can use to deal damage to objects, either via direct contact or via essentially a ray of charged particles [[Destruction sphere, base blast only, Destructive Blade]].

This is the first time in the discussion that Rabbi Cohen seems wildly out of his element.
    "Sphere? Base blast? And how is a blunt fist a destructive blade? Is it duo-dimensional when - what was the word - charged?"

"I can also use it to effectively create constructs of known matter by the application of energy to mimic true matter. It works best with classical elements like stone, but I can get some organic materials like wood. I've even been able to make some alchemical creations, but I have yet to make the matrix fully stable, however, so the matter decays into nothingness. Best I've been able to manage thus far is a few hours, but I keep working on figuring it out. [[Creation, alchemical creation, classical materials]]."

"Wait, is this some type of techno-psionics? I have studied psionic theory, such as the mental powers possessed by aboleths and mind flayers."
    At the mention of "akasha" he is even more lost. At least with whatever you mentioned with spheres, Rabbi Cohen was equating them to the classic schools of magic. With akasha, there is nothing to relate to.

Your knowledge of spell mechanics exceeds his ownl, but not by a vast amount (he is better at this than engineering). Makes sense, because you wield two different types of magic he's never even heard of. But you probably have absolutely zero knowledge of the traditions that gave rise to your abilities with that total lack of Knowledge (arcana), which is a skill he is well-versed in. Without any skill of your own, you really can't quantify his skill.
    After helping herself to another drink, she turns to the Rabbi. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask? Or perhaps you want a practical demonstration?"
    Rabbi Cohen shakes his head. "We've talked quite awhile, and one of the Jade Ravens is waiting patiently to talk with me. You mentioned time with the natives. Do you speak Olman?

"Otherwise, do you have any questions for me?"

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Hoggie
    Show
    "You want me to ... follow you?" Rabbi Cohen asks tentatively. "I'm sorry, I need to stay here. I can't go on a tour of town right now because I have a lot of people to see and interview today. Your neighbor, the gnome female, seems to be Johnny on the spot and came here the same time as you and is waiting. Words, please."

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Corrin
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    Corrin arrives and takes his seat, but he needs to climb somewhat to sit upon it. He also silently nods and accepts the glass of water. It is noticeable that his outfit is different then when you saw him the day before. Yesterday his clothes had vibrant colors of yellow and red, but today his clothes are drained of color. With a white undershirt with a black vest and dark grey pants. The clothes are still covered by the same loosely worn robe from the previous day which looks to be made of twine.

After listening to Cohen's words, Corrin moves his staff to the crook of his arm which holds his glass and his free and moves in arcane gestures as words appear which read, "I do much more for Farshore than cook, and I also find it strange that you think defending my home is anything more noteworthy than what is expected. Regardless, you wish to know of my abilities correct? I am martially trained in monastic arts, though it is more for the health benefits that such training provides than a preferred method of combat. I also, as you know, possess a variety of magical abilities. These abilities include Creation, as you have seen with the wall, Destruction, which is my preferred method of fighting, Illusion, by which I can speak without breaking my vow of silence (and also remain undetected by enemies,) and Protection, which can shield me and others form harm."
    Rabbi Cohen seems a little lost in thought. "Yes, that sounds impressive. And the metal wall definitely was something to see. But what do you mean by 'creation,' 'destruction,' and 'protection?' Are you a sorcerer without formal training, and you are just referring to conjuration, evocation, and abjuration magics?"
    Current Games

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie attempts to communicate telepathically with Rusty.
    Spoiler: TEPE *EL* Hoggie>>>Rusty
    Show

cast telepathic bond as SLA
    “Rusty? ... can you help me ...answer Doc Cohen’s ...questions?”
    *desperate*
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2018-09-02 at 08:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vona> > >Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    For a moment, Vona looks utter confused about the Rabbi not knowing about spheres, as they were a fundamental aspect about how she understood magic. She wracked her brain for a moment trying to figure out how he knows about magic and not spheres until she remembered. "Oh, your magic is of the variable, non-compiled neuromantic type, or the VNCN Model as it's known academically. No, spheres are abilities that build of each other rather than the odd "slot and effect" system you use. The practical upside is that with this I can make a destructive blast every 6 seconds if I need to and can create real objects like stone wood and water-"

As she says that last one, about 23 gallons of water suddenly appear over Vona's head and noisily splashes onto her, getting the surrounding area wet. Vona, for her part, remains unfazed and continues speaking "But the objects aren't permanent and fade away when I stop concentration." As she finishes, her sentence, the water begins to rapidly evaporate, leaving Vona as dry as she was before, as though it had never been there in the first place. "I also have some divinatory abilities, but they are limited and it mostly detects magic or minerals/water. Normal stuff. I can do more damaging blasts or have longer lasting construct, but those require an expenditure of personal magic energy (or PME as I've come to call it, though some prefer the far blander "Spell Points"), and it's in limited supply, though it does recharge like most things after a good night's rest." She puts her hand on her chin, thinking before continuing. "So I suppose it is akin to psionic power points. However, as I understand it, psions gain a far greater number of points as they increase in power as the costs keep increasing, but PME is linear as the costs never increase."

She sees hime even more losk about her secondary field, so she tries to explain. "The local magic is called Akasha, but I've done some research and found that it was once called Incarnum, though I don't know why the name was changed. It's kind of a mixture of spheres and the VNCN Model in that they have predetermined effects, but you empower them with energy. The big difference is that while PME is spent in a sphere effect, mana as they call it, is not and can be moved from one effect to another. Oh, and the effects are located on the same chakra points that magic items use, though they don't stop items from working there. Also slightly annoying is that the mana isn't compatible with PME, as there have been plenty of times that I needed one and had the other."

When the topic of the natives comes up, she is a tad skittish. "Not as well as I would like. I was kinda stubborn when I was there, so I didn't take as much care with the language as I should have as I was sure I'd be let go immediately (They thought I was a child, if you recall, so they were "saving me from myself". Ugh.), but I have a basic grasp of the language. I wouldn't want to try to explain anyting technical in it, but for most conversations I should be fine."

To his final question, she responds "Well, since you brought it up, what's your deal Rabbi? I assume that between the title and mention of Moradin that you're a man of the cloth, but what does that give you in case of combat? Not to diminish your faith, but since we're talking about capabilites, what are yours?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    When asked about his own capabilities, he responds by unhasping his hammer and clonking it down on the table. It is beautifully worked with (if you have any basic knowledge of religion) obvious symbol to Moradin, as well as various other runes important to that faith. "You showed me yours, and I look forward to seeing your F.I.S.T. in battle against the Crimson Fleet. I would like you to meet Gili-Nachum, which is Celestial for 'My Joy and Comforter.' Go ahead and feel it, though I ask you not to actually heft it oft the table."

If you feel the hammer, the two major portions are the handle and the head. The head is very decorative, as noted above. The business end doesn't burn, but it is extremely warm to the touch. The metal is a strange metal, one you very likely have never encountered. "Adamantine, one of the most valuable of the metals that have rained from the heavens in eons past. The heat flares up into flame in battle, and through Gili-Nachum I can channel my righteous fury and sunder any physical bonds or obstacles."

When you look at the handle, leather and wire of the same type as the head spiral down to the endcap at the bottom. Though discolored some through use and sweat, still you see the various spiraling strips using a combination of Dwarven and Celestial lettering and pictographs and holy runes to seemingly tell a story, though without being sworn into the secrets of the faith, you don't know what that story is. "It's my story. With each deed I accomplish, Moradin sees to add to the leather handle so that when I fall, another can find my hammer and know the deeds I have accomplished."

As he rights the cup you had that was knocked over by your downpour (and ironically emptied it of water), he simply refills it the old-fashioned way and places it in front of you again.

"I am without armor at this time, and as I do tend to stand on the front lines of our current group, without such protection and with my healing spells and now in a larger group I might be moving back to second rank. I am probably just behind Skald in overall combat skill, but I am more focused on melee. I am very good at leveraging power in my blows and blowing through a pair of enemies that are standing near each other. With my wings and mass, perhaps as a gift from Moradin, I am like the dwarves I appear to be in that I am hard to bowl over, disease, poison, or affect by such things as necromancy.

"In addition to a variety of blessings that further strengthen my role as a healer, I can also change the shape of my body to fit a variety of forms for very brief periods of time; I have no skill in infiltration, but that has proven useful in the past. Also, unlike most chalkydri ... or even seacliff dwarves for that matter ... I have been blessed with gills that are not vestigial, and can move my body through the water faster than on land. And as you saw when I first met you, the wings are not vestigial.

"My adventures have required me to learn the workings of ships and the sea, and I was the first mate of the Sea Wyvern. If it turns out that she can be saved, then my past sailing experience - in general and on that ship - will likely make me its new captain. Before that, though, from my youth I was trained to be both legal counsel and family physician for the Vanderborn family like my father - well, likely adopted father - before me. My academy training focused on history, heraldry, and the needs of a noble family, and apprenticeship took care of learning a bedside manner and of the healing arts. I am also expert in the fields of theology, humanoid cultures and laws, the peoples and creatures of the Underdark, metallurgy, theology, martial traditions, and even an understanding of esoteric fields such as psionics.

"As a priest of Moradin, I can do much of what you'd expect from a priest specializing in knowledge, healing, and the respecting of racial traditions, to include but not limited to consuming my enemies in holy fire, healing the gravest injuries (perhaps even death, though I have never done so), and shattering dire ensorcellments."
    Current Games

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler: Rusty >>> Hoggie, Doc Cohen
    Show
    The cat silvanshee hops up onto the table in front of and slightly to the side of Hoggie.

The cat speaks in Celestial, but with its true speech, Hoggie hears the translation (it's like a dubbed movie!). The voice is nothing as expected, and even Hoggie - who is used to hearing Rusty's telepathic "voice" - is taken aback by his physical speech since it's been some time since he's heard Rusty's physical speech.. The best way to describe Rusty's speech is to use your modern mind to imagine a fifty-year-old cabby from the deep streets of the bowery in New York City who has been a two-pack-a-day smoker for three decades. "Yeah, you gotta forgive him. He don't talk so well every since ... well, we don't talk about it, and you shouldn't pry. Boss Hogg here, he's da real deal when it comes to tings like mental power. He's smart ta begin with, but that headband has him doin' Yoo-Clidoran geometry in his sleep, see. Anywayz, he can makes enemies make themselves turn all sorts of sideways with mental screwy ... charmin', sleepin', confusin' ... and readin' minds is like second nature. He's prolly readin' yours .... right ... now.

"Now, let's not worry how he gots some extra skills, but he didn't grow up on the right side a' things, and his brother ain't help him grow none as an upstandin' member of society, so he has some talent in ways that you know you can use, even if you don't want to admit it.

"If nuttin' else, he's a better healer than the town quack, knows about any plant that has any farmy-sookatal properties, and even speaks the local tribal language. Thing is about talkin, though. He's got loggree-somethin' ... had it as a kid ... so he had to become a walking bardic storehouse of strange songs to help him focus. Songs teach ya' rhythm, rhyme, breathing, all things that helped him control his logger-whatsit. It is really tiring and mentally fatiguing for Boss Hogg to give you a full paragraph of what-for normal-like like he did when he introduced himself here."

Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-09-04 at 03:15 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie>>>Doc Cohen
    Show

*look of pride* Hoggie nods, sits back down and takes a sip a water.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2018-09-04 at 05:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vona> > > Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    After hefting the axe and putting it down, she turns the the priest. "Well, I think that about does it. Anything else I can do you for?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2018-09-04 at 04:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Corrin >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    Corrin closes his eyes and thinks for a while before moving his hand a writing his response to Cohen's question, "I am not sure if I can provide you an accurate answer to that question. I am not formally trained in magic, so I may be like a sorcerer. How I cast magic... it is like how your heart knows to keep beating while you sleep, and it is also like learning how to walk at the same time. Part of my magic is instinctual I can feel it and draw from it at any time. However, just because I can draw from it doesn't mean it is instantly powerful. Just like how having legs doesn't grant the knowledge of how to walk, I had to learn how to form stone and metal, then learn how to form it into the shape I want through trial and error."

Corrin waits until what he has written has been read before dismissing it and writing once more, "You might try asking Vona about what I meant about Creation, Destruction, and Protection. They are terms she uses for them. She takes a more academic approach to magic and may be able to answer your questions better than I can. She once mentioned that my magic uses the same system as hers, but I don't really understand what she means by that."

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: Liamae Teslikaria >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show

"I am of nobility, but I wanted to sea what life had to offer. I hail from what you might consider the 'exotic south,' and that is how I came to be in Lady Lavinia's employ.

"When the Blue Nixie was caught in the storm that separated us, I was struck by a bolt of lightning and nearly killed. I was a in a coma for days, and it wasn't until the Nixie was in Farshore that I awoke. My only memory of the incident was a vision of an athletic woman wearing tight clothing and a flowing blue cloak. In the vision, the woman defied all manner of peril, relying on what seemed to be a delightful combination of physical prowess and dumb luck. I've since come to realize that this vision was of the goddess of luck and skill, Rudd.

"When you met me before, I was simply a sorceress of the fey bloodline, but I have since sent my prayers and have been answered. It is not religious power like what you wield, for I have no rituals demanded of me of any kind. But I try to discover what Rudd asks of me and am blessed and pass those battle blessings on to my fellow Ravens. Speaking of when I knew you before ...

"I know that where you were concerned, Doctor Cohen, I was still haughty and full of my noble background and treated you as a servant. That may be your actual designation, but I may have been unkind, and so I ask that you forgive me.

"As to abilities of note. Like I said, my original sorcerous power seems to be due to fey influence in my family at some point in the past. I studied and focused on enchantments, and ever since I developed holy powers, that study - especially befitting compulsions - seems to have carried over. I can put folks to sleep, blanket allies in illusion unseen, cure the most serious of wounds, and bring down enemy magic.

"When discussing non-spellcasting abilities, I shine best in competition, when it seems that I am blessed with my goddess' luck. Still, even though it might seem to be a peasant exercise, I found woodworking to be a peaceful exercise for my hands; I am skilled, but not master woodworker.

"My attitude - that haughty one - I don't exercise it like I used to, but it seems that I can take my fey-influenced voice and expressions and put the very fear of the gods into someone. Given that I spent so many years trying to understand my sorcerous powers before now, I am expert among the original Ravens for all discussions concerning the occult, magical traditions, and understanding the various schools of magic, though not quite the same for spell theory since I never had to study quite the same for my powers. I am known among the Ravens for having the sharpest senses - again, probably a fey throwback. I would argue that this, with my knowledge of enchantments is such that I am pretty good at understanding others, and also have one of the strongest minds to resist enchantments."
    Spoiler: Interaction Rolls
    Show
    Diplomacy only was an 11. There is something particularly displeasing about the otherwise vivacious woman, almost as if there were a touch of something "unclean" about her. She has fantastic natural charisma, but no actual training to speak of here. In fact, you would see she might even have regressed in this regard since you knew her.

Intimidate was a 21, and she wasn't even trying!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Doc Cohen >>> Boss Hogg & Rusty
    Show
    Satisfied for now, Rabbi Cohen stands and heads towards the door while saying the following and seeing the two out. "Alright, then. Mr. Wainwright ... and assistant. Thank you very much for stopping by. I will be talking with Lady Vanderboren later today and will give her a report. I know we want to start as soon as possible, so as soon as we draw up a plan we'll head to our first objective or task specialists as appropriate.

"In the meantime, take today and tonight to get your affairs in order - if sent on mission this is a very dangerous place, so it's good to know your family is taken care of. If I can have you stop by at noon tomorrow, please?"

If there is nothing else, he will offer his hand to shake and see the two out the internal door while welcoming his next interview.

Show
    Satisfied for now, Rabbi Cohen stands and heads towards the door while saying the following and seeing her out. "Actually, yes. Please take today and tonight to get your affairs in order - if sent on mission this is a very dangerous place, so it's good to know your family is taken care of.

"Alright, then. Ms. Kruweck. Thank you very much for stopping by. I will be talking with Lady Vanderboren later today and will give her a report. I know we want to start as soon as possible, so as soon as we draw up a plan we'll head to our first objective or task specialists as appropriate. If I can have you stop by at noon tomorrow, please?"

If there is nothing else, he will offer his hand to shake and see her out the internal door while welcoming his next interview.

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Corrin Fiddlebitter
    Show
    Satisfied for now, Rabbi Cohen stands and heads towards the door while saying the following and seeingCorrin out. "Alright, then. Mr. Fiddlebitter. Thank you very much for stopping by. I will be talking with Lady Vanderboren later today and will give her a report. I know we want to start as soon as possible, so as soon as we draw up a plan we'll head to our first objective or task specialists as appropriate.

"In the meantime, take today and tonight to get your affairs in order - if sent on mission this is a very dangerous place, so it's good to know your family is taken care of. If I can have you stop by at noon tomorrow, please?"

If there is nothing else, he will offer his hand to shake and see him out the internal door while welcoming his next interview.

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Liamae
    Show
    Rabbi Cohen nods quickly, stands, and heads to the door. "Alright, then. Ms. Teslikaria. Thank you very much for stopping by. I will be talking with Lady Vanderboren later today and will give her a report. I know we want to start as soon as possible, so as soon as we draw up a plan we'll head to our first objective or task specialists as appropriate.

If there is nothing else, he will offer his hand to shake her hand before seeing her out. "And we are surrounded by more than enough water to pass under that bridge, so don't feel like there is any bad blood between us, you unrepentant, crowing Jezebel."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2018-09-05 at 02:05 PM.
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Tepe *EL* Boss Hogg>>>Roscoe P Coltrane AKA Rusty
    Show

“Good Job! That did it. We’re going on an adventure! Let’s get something to eat, little buddy!”

Spoiler: Hoggie>>>Doc Cohen
    Show

smiling, Hoggie ignores the proffered handshake and moves in for a bro hug but he is stymied by Doc Cohens multitude of feathery appendages. He settles for a jaunty salute before picking up his cat and “goose stepping” it out of the Church. The duo will return at the appointed time tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #21

Post Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC-Interactive RP Thread]

Spoiler: Kaskus Hebel Kiel >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show

After Rabbi Cohen's initial introduction and settling in and water glasses full, Lazer's next interview begins an accounting of himself. "Always knew you weren't quite all dwarf. But Dumathoin's beard if you ain't angel and dwarf at once! Anyway, my lady honors you and your family, and that's enough for me. See, my kin - mountain dwarves, no sea-nothing - well, we have a complicated relationship. It's strange that we iconify the gods that look over the parts of our lives and then have all these silly things that don't really have to do that much with the subject matter, and more about the objectified deity. I ain't no fool thinking Moradin ain't the father of our people, but Dumathoin's my patron. And it's less about honoring a story and a myth and more about honoring what the stories about Dumathoing honored ... the stability of a mountain, the strength of a rock, the secrets in mines and caverns, the beauty held below the dirt that most everyone walks on. I'm a warden of the earth, through-and-through. I really don't know what to add to that, but that's my specialty - anything we druids are supposed to do, of course, but Dumathoin's given me secrets that even so-called earth-focused druids don't even have.

"Now, Lady Lavinia's pappy (of blessed memory) saved my life by rescuing me from slavery at the hands of the Scarlet Brotherhood [he spits] a year before Vanthus [he spits again] killed him, which wasn't too terribly long before we went on this dang voyage where I spent most of the time stuck seasick in my cabin. Once I fulfill what I believe is my debt to House Vanderboren, I'm for returning home, for I miss it something awful. Three things I'm loyal about though, rabbi ... the Jade Ravens, me battle-brothers; Lady Lavinia and House Vanderboren; and the natural world, especially the secrets of metal and stone. I won't put myself in a position to choose against any, and if you think that makes me ornery, than so be it.

"Still, I have to admit, I've fallen in love with the Isle of Dread - or at least what little I've seen from here on Temute. The environ is exotic, and worth study. One of the first things I did when I got here was to forge a bond with a new companion from a nearby lagoon - a cantankerous crocodile I've named Krukthur. Unfortunately, after several, er ... unfortunate misunderstandings ... I no longer allow Krukthur inside of Farshore, so he's living in the river just west of the colony. If I go on mission anywhere, Krukthur's coming ... no discussion, or I ain't goin'.

"Now, I've tried to get my mates to join me on an expedition of the Isle of Dread's interior, but so far, I've only been able to convince Liamae to join me. If you are planning an expedition into the mainland like it seems like you will at some point, I volunteer my aid. A'course, it would be wrong to have convinced Liameae to come with me and not take her, so we are kinda' a package deal. 'Sides, I will sit smoother knowing at least one person I can trust instead of being all outsiders, er, you know what I mean.

"The Caller coached us on the types of things you'd want to hear from us ... not talking lies, now, just focusing the discussion. I'm a dwarf, so I got some skll at the forge, mainly for armor, but that is to understand metal at it's end-state. My focus is still before the crafting of the world's treasures. To that end, I had both the talent and the skill of a seasoned miner. Yeah, so, if it is stone or earth I can dig it or climb it. 'Course, I can just turn into a bird and fly, but though skilled I don't prefer it. Liaemae has the magical healing down, but I can do the 'real' healing alright - battle medicine, treating poisons, recovery, so forth. I'm the best outdoorsman in the Ravens, and the best tracker, of course.

"That good, rabbi? You got what you need?"

Spoiler: Interaction
    Show
    General Interaction roll (1d20+2)[13]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-09-05 at 08:25 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Eliezer >>> Hebel
    Show
    Eliezer is much more at ease with Hebel (which I recognize; it means Hebrew for "breath") than he was with Liamae. He has no training for words and was even a bit pointed in his conversation at some points, but perhaps there is a bit of prejudicial treatment Eliezer has for his fellow(?) dwarf.

He gets up to see him out. "Hebel, thanks for coming by," Eliezer says, using Kaskus' religious name. "I will definitely do what I can to convince Lavinia to have you come on our mainland excursion - with Liaemae. But there are so many tasks to do, and in so many places to do it, I can't make any promises."

And with that, Rabbi Cohen will see him out and bring in the next Raven.
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler: Tolin Kientai >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show

After the initial greeting, he says, "Listen, I don't know what you've heard. Our charter as the Jade Ravens - the personal guardians of whomever is running House Vanderboren - that was specific only when, in this case, Lady Lavinia, was in Sasserine or 'on travel.' But Lady Lavinia is no longer on travel; she's here now.

"You know me when I was a just a ranger, but I've since moved on from that. And that constant wilder-blather from Kaskus is pretty much a sure bet to keep me from ever caring about that stuff. Jades are pretty much a done deal, and we aren't even in Lavinia's house here. Yeah, so we're unemployed. I am just sitting here to listen to what you might be offering ... and the compensation for the same. Does Lady Lavinia want to re-hire us with a new contract? That's fine. I think she's great, but I don't think I can deal with that damn dwarf's holy creeds on sacred dirt anymore. You got a job in town for my skill set? Great.

"So skill set. In my youth, I liked camping and hunting. I was good at the jungles around Sasserine. I wanted to to hunt mythical monsters ... I was kind of an idiot as a young adventurer, so I specialized in hunting magical beasts. But I learned I had a real talent for the discipline regarding two-weapon combat. Had myself a tutor in Sass, and he set me on the path to becoming a Dragon Fury. I finally understand the basic lessons, so if there was a master here, maybe I am one by now. Dunno.

"My pop was a potter and I know my way around a wheel and a kiln. Play the drums. But more money in being a sellsword. I learned some medicine. Between you and me, I'm at least as good as Kaskus. Pfft. I do speak the language of the aborigines here, but I ain't goin' and trying to make nice with the savages.

"Anything else?"

Spoiler: Interaction Rolls
    Show
    General interaction is (1d20+2)[10], but his posturing to seem tough is an Intimidate of (1d20+7)[15]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-09-07 at 07:10 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Mr. Kientai
    Show
    Rabbi Cohen gets up and goes to see him out. "Mr. Kientai, I understand what you mean by the legalities surrounding the Jade Ravens as an officially Sasserine-recognized charter. Given what you've told me, we won't seek you out for any expedition, but there's plenty of help needed in town. But we're looking for volunteers to help fortify the town that is now your home. The same home that is being threatened to be overrun by the pirates of the Crimson Fleet in two months. I don't think this small colony has anything that you think will fit the bill as 'compensation,' but I will see with Lady Lavinia."
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: Zan Oldavin >>> Rabbi Cohen
    Show

After bringing in Zan Oldavin, you realize he has all the flippant air of the typical half-elf swashbuckler. Standing at five-and-a-half-feet tall and weighing around a buck-eighty, this blonde-haired, brown-eyed strolls in like a celebrity you paid a lot of money for to put in an appearance. And as the picture above shows, he is all about playing with his exquisite collection of daggers (he seems to have more than a half-dozen of them) as a sort of boredom response.

"What can I do?" he says with an incredulous laugh. Then seals it with another. "Ha! What can't I do? Let's just say you've never seen my like. You've never seen faster. Or hell, even tougher. Opponents can't touch me. I don't deal with armor because it slows me down. Pretty much the only way to bring me down is to throw some cheap-ass mind bullscheiss of some type or another. I can go pretty much anywhere I wanna go, whenever I wanna go there, and there's nobody can stop me. And my tongue is about as fast as my feet, so sometimes I can do it strolling.

"The only problem is that doesn't include gods-forsworned islands and jungles. I can't run on the surface of the water. I nominally came because I thought it would be a lark. I didn't realize this was supposed to be a permanent move. Now I'm stuck in this leafy hole in the ocean with no way back. I came to see you today because Jade Ravens is a dead trick, just like this colony. You don't have the coin to motivate me, and I don't want you to bother me at the Last Coconut. And when those pirates come? When the fighting is joined I'm gonna steal one of their ships and leave you all to your doomed expedition."

He doesn't wait for a response, and is gone in the blink of an eye .. some of your papers flitting about from the incredible current he created to prove that there just might not be anyone as fast as he.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-09-08 at 09:40 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Zan Oldavin >>> The Caller
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What? No interaction rolls. I guess it doesn't matter so much for him.

Rabbi Cohen stands stunned, then sees in The Caller, assuming he is here. Once The Caller comes calling (heh), Rabbi Cohen will give this stranger his standard greeting as he has the others.
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler: The Caller >>> Counselor Cohen
    Show
    Two figures go inside to answer the call for The Caller! (See, I can do it, too.)

The first is a woman you easily recognize as an aasimar (specificially, an angelkin, so ... distant relation?). She stops you from handing the glass to the man you were told was The Caller as he takes his seat. The 6'4" aasimar, despite having no armor, is someone you can easily determine is The Caller's sworn bodyguard or the like. So, given protocol you hand the glass to her and she takes a sip of the water. After a few moments and feeling that it is alright she hands that glass to her master. She is armed with longsword of exceptional make and a large steel shield. With shield readied and longsword held at bent-arm attention upwards, she stands by the door.

"I hope you don't mind Cream, but she is terribly protective of me," says The Caller. He is a strange man with very pale skin and a brown van dyke beard and medium thick hair with a bald spot on top. His eyes are green and limpid. His pale skin is also practically clear in that you can see varicose veins ... even around his neck and cheeks. He is short (5' 5"), and his dress and cheekbones recall to mind sailors from the desert lands that you had seen come to port in Sasserine. But even then you recognize his coloration is odd. And yet, these are the finest details that your keen, angelic eyes can perceive. What a normal person sees, however, is different. None of the hard details change, but somehow these details seem glozed over and The Caller is practically an idealized human specimen. "She means nothing by it, and I for my status, must endure the treatment as well."

He speaks in a tinkling tenor voice, almost boyish. Indeed, there is something about him that hints of power and intellect, but you'd say that he's in his mid-20s ... and on the lower end at that.

"Counselor Cohen - for in our dealings that is really more of what you are here ... not religious rabbi, not doctor, not even ship's officer, but counselor to Lady Lavinia - may I first impart that I am truly impressed at how you and your people handled themselves here in Farshore proper while we dealt with the main force of the Hagfish to the east of town under Lady Lavinia's standard."

[RP interlude, if needed.]

"So," he now continues, assessing you more than he, "you believed yourself a member of the Seacliff dwarf community in Sasserine, particularly blessed because you breathe water and swim with the ease of a fish, instead of simply hold your breath prodigiously as they. Then, over the course of your adventures, you find out ... lo, and behold ... you are an angel in disguise, unbeknownst to all, and a chalkydri at that. If I'm not mistaken, a chalkydri is on par with a movanic deva. But where the latter is about conducting missions throughout the planes - specializing in the energy planes of all places - chalkydri are more the little-known shock-troops of the Upper Planes. The foot soldiers exemplar, if you will.

"I understand the physique of a dwarf; that's Moradin's will, since you serve him and he is your patron. I even understand why your four wings are more seabird-like, like an albatross or gull, given that you were probably originally meant to inspire those rare seacliff brethren. But the whole thing regarding you being adopted and not understanding your own heritage. Hmmmm, now I smell a story. If ever you discover the 'why,' you must let me know."

[RP interlude, if needed.]

"My real name? Ha. I know more will give you that ... than you likely know your own true name. I know mine, but I will not give it, for it is power. I am 'The Caller,' not 'The Called,' for a reason. I am a scholar of the occult, specializing in thaumaturgy. I call forth helpful spirits to infuse me, and servitor creatures to serve me ... and I got there by being the most brilliant mind any have ever known. There is not a field of study over which I am not master. Oh, Lady Lavinia is a fine student - which incidentally is how I came into her employ as a Jade Raven - for I am her tutor. But there is no one in a thousand leagues of us as knowledgeable in any academic study that exceeds the secrets I know. I speak 13 languages - yes, including Olman - and my ability to turn an any argument on its head is nearly beyond compare as well.

"I don't know what else to tell you. Knowledge is power. I have incredible knowledge, and therefore am blessed with incredible power. But I don't know all, I understand that. And so I am willing to go out further into the world to learn what more there may yet be for my mind to consume."

Spoiler: RP Interaction
    Show
    RP Interaction roll ... Diplomacy (1d20+26)[45] ... and Intimidate, since he was posturing to show you he somehow kicks ass (1d20+18)[38]

Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-09-09 at 04:13 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> The Caller
    Show
    Practically enamored by this man, but having no more time today, he thanks The Caller for stopping by and for his service to Lady Lavinia, and he will be in touch.
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie >>> Shaman / Shawoman
    Show

Hoggie walks up to the local medicine person with a knowing grin.
    “I smoke two joints in the morningI smoke two joint at night
    I smoke two joint in the afternoon
    It makes me feel alright

I smoke two joints in time of peace
    And two in time of war
    I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
    And then I smoke two more”

Show

Artist: Sublime
    Album: 40 Oz. To Freedom
    Released: 1992
    Genre: Pop

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler: Shaman >>> Hoggie
    Show
    The shaman (female) blinks at you, not sure what you want.
    Show