The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

"Yes, ma'am" Dorrin nodded, giving the room a quick once over. Rubbish, mostly. "Here, outside, on the trip here... there's quite the invasion of them at present. Fortunately, Miss Ana there is quite adept with creating fire, and they don't seem to appreciate that very much. Elsewise, we'd be dead probably."
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

You can sense the anxiety off the normally composed noblewoman. "That is really bad news, then. There were several small fae-like things with the bandits that attacked our caravan, and one that seemed somewhat imp-like, a flying thing just slightly similar to a man, no doubt an ice creature of some sort as well. I heard the bandits mention another name, Teb Knotten - apparently it or he is the leader of those things."

She does not see Ten-Penny yet, but you expect the half-orc is around the house somewhere.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm," Kira says, chewing her lip. "Sounds like some real trouble. Probably connected to the cold, too," she muses. "Oh, by the way, don't be worried if you see a half-orc around here, she helped us with the bandits and we've decided to stick together for a bit. Seems like the smartest idea, too, if we've got lots of ice-monsters running around."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right" Dorrin agreed. "I think we disposed of that Knotten fellow, maybe? You ask that Tacey, make sure we don't have any more surprises to deal with. And check in on the sick one. I'm of a mind to see what might be around here as far as proper food and a warm bed."
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-07-16 at 07:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

The noble grimaces slightly. "A half-orc hireling? Ah well, needs must I guess. Still better than a bandit. I'm not sure how that Knotten thug is, but they seemed to be rather scared of him. He's supposed to be a pretty big one, as far as I could tell." She looks around, now more calmly. "I'd kill for a glass of good brendy and a nice couch. That dungeon was outrageous."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group explores the lodge, they find a chest in the large first-floor room left to Rohkar. In opens easily with one of the keys taken from the bandit leader, and inside they find some of his spoils. The chest holds a gold ingot engraved with the Taldan royal seal, a silver lady's ring, three shards of tiger's eye gemstones taken from a Qadiran merchant, a fine pair of leather riding boots of elven make, a silver masterwork dagger, and a leather portfolio containing several pieces of parchment, including a scroll of endure elements and a scroll of magic weapon.
    When they check the store-room by the planning hall on the second floor where they fought Rohkar's undead,however, they find a bigger surprise. In between several ceramic and glass jars, half a dozen crates and a small lockbox, they see an intricate cage, hosting a small azure-skinned creature that looks at them in surprise. "You... You're not with Rohkar, are you? Have you come to free me?"

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps" Dorrin replied, stalling a bit to gather his thoughts. "It's not my decision alone though, I have people to answer to, you understand. I have to ask, how did you come to be in that cage?"

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was betrayed! Tricked! Scammed in the most dishonest measure by that honorless dog of a bandit!" the despondent sprite rails, and you think you almost see spittle flying out of its little mouth like small ice shards. "That slag-sucking no-good triple-dealing cultist!"

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Joining the search after some time spent ensuring Lady Argentea is comfortable and feeling properly attended to, Kira arrives with a raises eyebrow, stepping in to properly see the cage's inhabitant. "Tricked into letting him cage you up?" She asks.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Anastasiya: HP 3/8 AC 12; Effects active: Endure Elements

The fire sorceress smiles as the noblewoman is rescued. "We're glad to see you safe, if just a bit worse for wear. If we find suitable spare clothes, you shall have first dibs. Don't worry about me. I'm protected from the cold." She gestures briefly to her brief, open garment, still a bit damp from being washed earlier.

When the group searches the lodge and a strange, blue-skinned creature is found in the storeroom, Ana's curiosity is piqued. This creature is another winter fey...a sprite, similar to those the group had encountered earlier? "How did you get to this region in the first place? You seem far from home. The others like you we encountered in the forest didn't seem to mind the bandits. They DID seem to want to attack us and put us to sleep though."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Knowledge Nature check got 15.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-07-31 at 12:18 AM.
    NS2...it's time to evolve again.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes! He jumped me! Me! The indignity! Free me at once! I will not stay a moment longer in this loathsome prison," the little sprite rants, growing agitated in an eerily fascinating display of lights pulsing from its icy body. "This is too important! Do not hold me, lest greater powers smite you for interfering! They will hollow your souls and fill your bones with purest ice just for standing in their way, unwilling though you may be," he shouts weakly, eyes bulging with passion - and maybe something else...

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now, there's no reason for idle threats" Dorrin replied, eyeing the little fey with suspicion and a slightly angry gaze. "We dispatched your nemesis Rokhar with little difficulty; we could very well do the same to you if we're so inclined. Now, IF we decide to let you out of that loathsome cage, in addition to disposing of your mortal enemy -- that seems like quite a value to you, is it not? -- what pray tell can you provide that might be of value to us? Information, perhaps? Let's start here: If you're not working for Rokhar, who is it you're working for?"

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

If the sprite's indignant glare could bore through you, it would. The fae appears wholly unafraid of you."Do you truly not know what you have gotten into, mortals? My release is your only salvation. Teb Knotten would visit great indignities upon you, as he would at Rohkar if the double-dealing cultist had not hidden his betrayal. Yet he will only wait so far. Release me and flee! Flee so you are not here when he comes to flatten this hovel!"

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

"New idea," Kira says. "We settle you in a nice spot by the fire, so you aren't so chilly, and if you're a good boy you can convince them to persuade me to not just drop you in when we leave."

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

The little fae looks with uncertainty for a moment, but then its eyes narrow."You are messing with what you don't understand, mortal. I am a servant of greater powers, whose wrath is more terrible than any flame you can bring, and whom I cannot escape in this world or any other, even if I wanted to. Unleash me and walk away from this, and you will be spared. Anything else, and your souls would be forfeit, and your torments greater than any indignities you can do unto me. My masters would not spare a thought to end me if I betrayed them, but their anger at you will be colder than the breath of Winter itself, and as painful as a Linnorn's fury."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

"A servant of greater powers, eh?" Kira smirks. "You know, you can just say you're married, no need to dress it up."

As she speaks, she moves to pick up the cage, beginning to head over to the fireplace.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

”Shall I prepare the kindling, Miss Kira?”

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Kira grins. "Please, do. It'll be colder when the sun goes down, and we want to make sure we're quite warm."

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

The rage of the imprisoned fae is almost palpable, and you feel the cage growing colder. "You would kill me in such ignominous fashion?You murderous short-lived ill-tempered thugs! May the curses of all the hags be upon you! May they who hold the true ice shrivel your souls and may their hounds tear you apart, you honorless curs! Your hour will soon be upon you, as it will be for all mortals! They will know, then, that you have disrespected them. The fury of the Three Riders themselves will pale before theirs! Limb from limb shall they tear you, with dead water and red ice will they cut you, with black lightning and white earth maim you, but death will not come! May your suffering exceed Pjallarane's! Curses! Three thousand and three curses be upon you, vile mortals, and may you see all you hold dear in dust before your eyes!" he shrieks, a wave of scintillating light washing over you with his last scream.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2019-08-15 at 01:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

You leave the screeching sprite in a cage next to the fireplace and prepare to leave. You find some of the bandits' plunder in Rohkar's room and in the storeroom near the second story hall where the bandit leader held council, and after a short rest prepared to leave. The little pest grates on your nerves, especially the noblewoman's, and eventually they culminate in a series of screams while you are upstairs. Looking inside, you see the half-orc with a blank expression as a the cage lies among the flames. "I, ahm, was telling it to shut the hell up and I held it over the fire as threat. The mad thing bit me and I ...dropped it. Sorry... these things are vicious and crazy, but I didn't expect it to be that crazy. "

You make good progress on your way back home and reach approximately the mid-point of the trail as the sky starts going dark.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2019-08-18 at 05:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, we better set up camp. And maybe two people should be on watch. I mean, I don't know how seriously we should take the threats of revenge from that ice fey, but we shouldn't take any chance right?" says Ana.

"So, what your plans once we return to Heldren?" she asks of the noblewoman.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Lady Argentea shivers in the cold - while the party has made good progress towards Heldren, the fact remains that they are in a zone of unnatural chill. "Hmm, I will need to check if any of my entourage remain. Also, I suppose I will need to reassure the good people of Heldren that the situation is well in hand...though I'm afraid I might need your help in ensuing it actually IS well in hand. Oh, and I'll have a lot of hot tea,some brandy and a hot bath if at all possible. This weather is dreadful."

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin turned quite solemn at the mention of the entourage, bowing his head toward the fire as he spoke.

"One, ma'am. One survived that we know of. A gentleman named Yuln managed to brave the cold and make it back to Heldren. He was in a rather poor state, quite frostbitten and almost delirious, but I believe he will pull through. He'll be waiting for you, I suspect, back there. The inn is quite nice actually, for a small town, and the people very hospitable. I'm sure they'll have everything you need to forget all about the weather. Maybe scoot a bit closer to the fire, ma'am. It wouldn't do to have you freezing out here after all we went through to get you out of there."

He left the question of what happened to the rest of the entourage unanswered. No need worrying her about those, while there was so much else to worry about still.

"I think we did manage to retrieve some of your things though, from the wagon that was disabled and left in the woods. We'll make sure to settle up once you're all nice and cozy, all right?"

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Kira nods along as Argentea lists off her plans. "Good priorities," she says. "I'll be after the same, once we're out of the cold. Maybe a bit of company, too, once the night starts winding down...There'll probably be a celebration."

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your heroics are impressive, doubly so for one who is not of Taldan noble blood," Lady Argentea nods. "A celebration is indeed deserved. Sadly, it may have to be a short one. I ... overheard a few things that are quite worrying, but that's best discussed when we have more time and we've all had a chance to rest."

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin nodded silently. "Quite so. I think it best I turn in for the evening, if that's all right with you all." He gave Ana and Kira a quick wink. "Do try to keep the noise levels down, please?"

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Kira gives a nod to Lady Argentea. "I'll be ready when it's time," she says, turning to Dorrin as he speaks. She couldn't have held back the grin if she tried. "I make no guarantees," she says.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Ana smirks. "Well I suppose it matters on how much Kira cares about offending any noble sensibilities. But honestly, I'm willing to wait on those kinds of celebrations until after we get back. Right now, we best be on our highest alert while we're on watch."

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

The evening passes without any disturbances - no external ones, at least - and you are soon on your way. While the sky is overcast and the air brisk,the snow has actually stopped and you make good pace, going out of the forest by the late afternoon. At the forest's edge, weather is slightly warmer, but instead of the snow you are used to a cold rain batters the trees and the ground. As you reach the clearing where the signs of carnage are still very much obvious, the noblewoman looks around with a dejected air, Her eyes widen and she puts a hand over her mouth as she sees the frozen "statue." No, they just... left him here, dead? And his body is still there, frozen, after so long? This... what mad magic is this?"

Meanwhile, as you survey the scene, the orc-blood rogue looks sideways at the halfling. "Might need to part ways soon. You'll be going to the village, and with my luck, there might be people there who know me from before. Best to lay low for now," she whispers.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

"This is definitely unnatural. Everything about recent events has been unnatural. The weather being the most obvious. Something is creating this, and we must find out WHAT." Her mind wanders back to her homeland. "After we bring you back to the village and we have rested for a day, we, and anyone else who cares to help, will be going back into the forest to investigate the source of this."

To the half orc, Ana says, "Where will you go instead? Honestly, we could use your help. You may know the area better than we do, and if you help out, I think people will be more likely to forgive you."