The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shaman View Post
    Meanwhile, as you survey the scene, the orc-blood rogue looks sideways at the halfling. "Might need to part ways soon. You'll be going to the village, and with my luck, there might be people there who know me from before. Best to lay low for now," she whispers.
    "There might be" Dorrin allowed, "but I'll also make sure those people know that when it came to it, you were the difference between us getting out of there alive, and not. Sure, you might have to face a few nasty looks, but when they do look at you, it'll be with envy that you had the courage to do what's right, when it mattered. That counts for a lot, if you ask me."

"Besides, it's frightfully cold out. There's no sense freezing yourself to death. Even a cold jail cell for a few weeks beats dying, right? And we could use your help."
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Kira shrugs. "You could join us 'till we get to the edge of town, then we take a peak and ask if anyone knows you - and if no one pulls out a pitchfork, we signal it's safe and you come in?" She offers.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

The half-orc looks uncertain, but follows you for now. "I'll probably look around. Don't promise anything... I've been around a bit."
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

As you near the outlying farms in the late afternoon, the Lady asks you for some time so she can clean herself so she can look proper. It takes a fair bit longer than it perhaps should, but at the end, Lady Argentea is as clean as she can be. More than that, however, you see what you'd expect is her natural confidence returning. There is new confidence in her step and her eyes shine with the famous haughtiness of true Taldan aristocracy.
    It is these eyes that bore on Tacey when she says she needs to handle some business before joining you in the village. "Really, now? And what if your betters have need of your services?"
    You can see the half-orc, despite being half a head taller than the aristocrat, suppress her glower and seemingly wilt under the imperious glare. "I... I just need to ehm, make sure I... I am presentable as well. I do not want to,mmm, embarass anyone."
    After a heartbeat, in which the noblewoman checks Kira's expression, and barring any she nods. "Between us, she does look unseemly, and smells worse. Very well, but do not tarry."
    You see villagers coming your way - no doubt someone has seen you already. Soon, they will be there. Lady Argentea winks at Kira, whispering. "Handy,that one, but a touch undisciplined." She then takes a deep breath and pulls her to her full height, turning towards the oncoming peasants. "Greet your heroes and mine, good folks of Heldren!"

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

As the lady expressed her need to clean up, Dorrin piped in. "I, er, what do you need help with? I can assist, I mean, if it's appropriate... I'm sure there's some things you might want to take care of yourself..." he said, before taking a moment to use the most minor of his magics to remove a bit of dirt from the lady's sleeve. "See?"

Upon entering the town, he blushed a bit at the pronouncement. "There's, we don't have to... couldn't we just get a nice quiet meal?"

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Kira suppresses the urge to wince at Lady Argentea's description of Tacey, and instead nods in support of letting her go to take care of her business - silently hoping she actually comes back, even if she slinks into the village at night or next morning. Not that she'll be available for much before then, given how things seem to be going. Kira's smiles have been wide and frequent as she stays close to the noblewoman on the way back, and at her announcement she raises an eyebrow.

"Sometimes, only a dramatic entrance will do," Kira replies to Dorrin, with a shrug that indicates that she doesn't entirely put stock in the choice, but isn't going to question it openly. Instead, she stays at Lady Argentea's side and waves to the approaching villagers.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

The sorceress is used to attention, and openly waves back at the villagers. "We've got good news, and some worrying portents. But the good news is REALLY great! As you can see, we have rescued our missing Lady! Tonight, we celebrate!!!"
    NS2...it's time to evolve again.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Though some of the villagers do look rather pensive, especially at the mention of portents, most look visibly relieved, and Lady Argentea strides towards the headman's house with you in tow. Before she enters, she calls out "Tell the owner of this village's public house that there should be plenty of drink and food tonight - for me, the heroes, and everyone who wants to raise a glass to Heldren and to the House of Malassene!" to no small amount of cheering.

As she is welcomed by councillor Ionnia Teppen, she becomes visibly relaxed. "Well, that horrible ordeal is behind us,at least. Councillor Teppen, you are, right? I trust these brave souls were commissioned to venture forth for my safety? I expect they want to be paid, quite frankly - I would demand that it be so."

The councillor, feeling slightly cowed despite Argentea being maybe half her age, nods her assent, and takes out several cloth bags, handing them to you. "Three hundred gold coins for each of you, yes. We did not discuss terms, but I hope these will serve," she says, eyeing the noble with a pensive expression.

Argentea returns her look through half-closed eyes. "Only as a down payment, councillor," she says with a flat tone. "I should hope my safety is worth a bit more than a good dress each. You will get this amount deducted from taxes owed to the county, the paperwork won't be that much and we are related to the Unberovi, despite the recent scuffles. I would be quite disappointed if you could come up with less than five hundred for each and every one, even the halfling, small as he is."

Ionnia's face furrows in worry. "Ah, I can... try to get a bit more. I cannot promise five hundred right now, but we can probably collect some valuables... would you be patient, noble heroes?"
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2019-09-26 at 06:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin was more than happy with the three hundred, truth be told; it was more than enough to get him to Qadira as he'd originally intended, and enough for probably a year after that if he was frugal enough. Then his face flashed red for a moment and he let out an exasperated sigh, as the Lady spoke her (possibly unintended?) slight. What did she mean, "even the halfling"? That really got to him in the moment.

"I'm quite tired" he said, gathering his belongings and beginning to make toward the inn. "Perhaps we should discuss this once we're all better rested. I am in no mood to discuss it right now. If you all want to do it now, fine, I trust your negotiating skills. Equal shares, I would presume, ladies? Or are we dividing based on height?"

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Kira raises an eyebrow and grins as Argentea makes a strong case for them getting more gold. "An even split would be most appropriate," she says, nodding. "And I agree..." she steps forwards, to make sure she's in clear view of the councilor and the noblewoman. "As I doubt any of my comrades will die of a lack of immediately-presented funds, and I find other matters in full possession of my attention, tonight." Kira turns from Ionnia to Argentea with the final words, inclining her head slightly.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Ana (whose robes have dried by now and are on) smiles in front of the gathering crowd. "Yes, we DO deserve more than the 300 gold, but we heroes are also patient...and creative. It does not need to be literally gold. Perhaps we can have crucial supplies from the store, and when the village has the funds later, the village can pay back the store? I propose this solution not for my own benefit mind you! It is because this band of heroes will likely need to go back out there soon. This unnatural cold isn't going away on its own!"

The sorceress smiles at Kira. "I'm sure many things will hold our attentions tonight. Hopefully we can cross our attentions at some point. Don't worry, there are many unmarried young bucks here too if you want to make it a REAL party..."

12. - Top - End - #612
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gretel seems rather morose as she hasn't been as useful as she expected on this expedition, rather than giving her usual display of swaggering bravedo she lets her companions do the talking as she looks forward to relaxing in the inn and forgetting about this whole incident for a while. Speaking rather quietly she reinforces her companions and says "I agree, supplies would be most useful"

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

The councilwoman retains a slightly worried air as she nods. "[COLOR="#A52A2A"]Good, I will ... talk to the other important villagers, it might take a while to collect enough but I, ah, should be able to secure some supplies alongside the money."[/COLOR] Catching a hard look from the noblewoman, she adds "I of course assure you will not be cheated on the price."

Lady Argentea keeps her glare on for one long second more, before nodding. "Very well, then. I suppose a celebration is in order to make sure everyone has some good news, then? Also, I heard that one of my guard survived, is he here?"

"The Ulfen, yes. He is still here, but his recovery is slow. I suppose our healer knows better than me, however."

The noblewoman looks back to you. "Good. Take some time to prepare yourselves, then go to the local tavern. It is probably lacking, but needs must. I will rest a bit and join you later," she adds, looking at the councilwoman, who bows slightly. "My lady, may I have the honor of hosting you?"

"Yes, you may."
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2019-10-04 at 05:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin didn't really have much to do to prepare himself, save for sprucing himself up with liberal applications of prestidigitation and setting his belongings in his room. He wandered back down, finding himself in the room well before anyone else, and set to a lonely table near the fire, with a hot cup of tea, keeping almost entirely to himself, as much as they'd let him.

15. - Top - End - #615

Gretal is kind of exhausted from the journey and will head to the local tavern. Swaggering in she'll loudly order a beer (or whatever passes for Vodka if they have it) and sit down fairly close to Dorrin but mostly keeping to herself for the moment.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Ana will go home first, tell her father about her adventures thus far, and then take a nice, relaxing bath in order to get herself cleaned up for the revelry. Afterwards, she picks the tiniest, most see-through robes she has, and goes to meet up with Kira and Lady Argentea. If the Lady enjoys female company at all, she will certainly get an eyeful, along with Kira.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-10-11 at 03:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

The evening's festivities are quite energetic, the locals having needed something to break the anxiety they feel from this strange weather, and the safe arrival of the noblewoman - in, apparently, good spirits - puts them at ease. As the drinks flow, a few quietly admit they were worried that if the local count had to intervene, things might have gotten way out of control. Everyone seems relieved, and free drinks, good food and even a bit of amateur music gets the party going, and provides local gossips with materials for a long while.

The next day, you receive a message that the lady wants to speak with you. She meets you with the now somewhat recovered Yuln, standing impassively beside her as she sits. "I hope you are not feeling a bit under the weather," she says with a wink, apparently not worse for wear, before going serious. "Unfortunately, with this little diversion behind us, I may have to ask you for help again. This place needs help, and you have already shown your mettle. But first - what have you been able to find out about this situation on your expedition to the lodge?"

18. - Top - End - #618

Gretal places the top of her axe on her boot and tries to look as heroic as possible as she says "I'm afraid the lodge is a bit of a touchy subject for me, as it was a tough battle and not my best moment, but I am willing to assist you again in whatever capacity you require"

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

"An incursion of fey, ones who like the cold, and...well, cold," Kira says, expression even. "One said something about Teb Knotten, who seems to be in charge, and being a servant of some cold types, bones of ice and all that." She shrugs. "It seemed like they and the bandits had a bit of an understanding, but it was breaking down. I'd guess the ice-folks are to blame for all the cold."

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't be upset Gretel. You... we all have bad days, after all. We'd probably be dead without you, or at least I would."

Dorrin nodded in agreement at Kira's comments... except for the last part. "I don't think the cold could be from the fey or the ice creatures we ran across. The other way around, perhaps -- they might be attracted to it -- but I think something the ones we ran into could do would be a lot more localized than what we have. The magical power needed to make an area THIS big this cold? Anyone capable of doing that, I don't know that I have much interest in running into them. That's not the sort of thing you walk away from, alive at least."

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

The noblewoman nods at the mention of Teb and the wintry fey. "Yes, those things were allied with the raiders, but were by far the greater threat at the attack on my caravan. I am not the greatest expert on fey, but they seem to be tied to the uncommon weapon we're having, and my bodyguard can swear this kind of frost-touched things is more common in the far north. The land of the legendary ice witches, to be exact. I have not seen or heard a witch, and "Teb" seems like a male name, but there has got to be something to that freak weather. It's Erastus, for gods' sake!" she exclaims, shaking her head.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but I want you to get to the bottom of this and find what's causing this weather. If you can deal with it, do so, if not, let me know what it is so the Empire can muster its strength. I pray it will not be needed. Can I rely on you for this?"

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Kira nods. "I'd be happy to," she says. "Not that I mind the cold, but if summer goes away, well...that's a lot less variety for hunting, and a lot more time people need to stay bundled up. And I'm keen on neither."

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin paused, contemplating the offer. "I suppose it wouldn't do to just not find out what might be causing this" he said, finally. "But we need to better equip ourselves this time. We were only out a few days after you, and had problems... I just don't want to have problems we can't solve, you understand?"