The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 624
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    As far as Dorrin is concerned, the furs he is shown are complete cold weather gear - other than the furs themselves, they also include thick tunics and shirts, padded boots and gloves and fur hats. He also notices some thicker, but less complete fur sets to a side. Vivian notices his glance and adds. "Oh, I have these as well, I'm selling them for five a set. They are thick and certainly striking, but this is what I would recommend for the kind of weather I am told there is in the forest. Colder than it's been in anyone's living memory, I'm told. Even that man from the lady's guard had horrible frostbite, and you know those big northerners don't freeze easy!"
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-12-19 at 02:32 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    "No, no, I agree -- the full sets are what we need, you're right. Here's the money. We really appreciate this -- it means one less thing to worry about on the way. But we really ought to be going sooner rather than later, I think. No sense waiting for it to get even colder."
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Road to Demgazi, roughly 6 miles south of Heldren

    With Yuln's instructions and a bit of help from the townsfolk, you get a very good idea how to get to the ambush site. It lies along the road to the south, and you manage to get there in just over two hours.

    Near the forest, you notice the air growing a fair bit colder and a light snow starts as you get closer to the trees. The forest itself obscured by a mist - or more likely, heavy snowfall. The road ahead of you is littered with debris and corpses of humans and horses. A derelict carriage leans to one side in the roadway, its horses missing or cut free, while another lies overturned and broken next to the treeline. To the sough, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be an ice-covered statue, and to the east, a snowy trail leads to the treeline. Apart from the odd snowflake, the scene is entirely still.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-12-21 at 04:16 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Dorrin had kept up well enough with his larger companions on the trip, despite stopping occasionally to take in the wintry scenes along the way before scrambling to recover his pace when they didn't stop to look at ... whatever thing had caught his eye this time. His cheeks and the tip of his nose were by now a deep rosy red, contrasting with otherwise pale features, but he seemed otherwise unbothered by the frigid weather.

    His legs ground him to a halt again at the edge of the scene, as he paused to use his sleeve to wipe the drizzle of snot that had bubbled once again to the edge of his nostrils. His gaze traveled first from the path leading into the woods, back toward the scattered corpses in the snow, and for the first time, he began to shiver almost uncontrollably.

    "I... I suppose we ought to check to see if anyone's alive?" he squeaked weakly, with the air of someone that was utterly certain that nobody was alive. His legs kept him firmly rooted to his place; if he was going to be the one to do the investigating, he was clearly going to need some encouragement.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Um, Perception I guess? (1d20+5)[9]
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira hums a tune on the way, eyes on the trees in a way different than Dorrin's staring. Occasionally, the musket on her back shifts, her grip on the strap changing as she watches some bit of distant movement or simply adjusts the position of her hand. As the group arrives at the scene, Kira looks over it once, hms, and stops to set her musket against the ground. With a soft hum, she carefully opens the powder horn at her hip, pours black powder down into the barrel of the musket, and closes the powder horn again. Taking a single musket ball from her backpack, she rams it down into the weapon and then, content with her work, lifts it into her arms. "First shot is always the best," she says. "Don't have to worry about doing it quickly, so you can make it elegant."

    "Let's give it a look-over," Kira says with a nod, stepping forwards. "Who knows, maybe they left a note."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If possible, take 10, otherwise: (1d20+5)[6] Perception
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Vilgeirr, hefting the added weight of the new gear, ate up the distance at his usual walking gait. Even the light snowfall set him to smiling; it had been years since he had felt anything other than hot. As they came upon the scene of carnage, he stopped and crouched. Better to be a small target against any ranged attacks. He grasped the cold iron spiked round shield and brought it to bear. His other hand went to his hip and loosened the falcata from it's sheath. Listening to the others speak, he replies, "No one left lying here two days is alive."

    He very slowly looked around them alert for any signs of danger.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception [roll]1d20+1[roll]

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira and Dorrin can't hear or see anything out of the ordinary, but Vilgeirr is pretty sure that he hears something from the trunk of one of the coaches (the one still standing), to his own great surprise.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Upon seeing the scene of the wreckage, Shira pulls her dual axes from her back and readies herself in case any danger reveals itself. She steps closer to the ice statue to closer inspect the statue and the bodies littered around it.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    [roll0] assuming this terrain satisfies as cold, if not then the +2 is not added.
    I'm also guessing it's not a Knowledge [geography] check to see if the statue is natural or not.
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    "There is something moving inside the carriage." The Ulfen advised as he nodded towards the overturned conveyance. "Be alert for anything. I am going to move in to the carriage. Someone with a free hand should move in as well to open the door." The viking stated as he began to slowly walk toward the wreckage, shield in one hand and his old fashioned curved blade in the other.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira looks between Shira and Vilgeirr, finding a position from which she can give aid to either, should the carriage or the statue suddenly turn out to be home to some threat. If Shira's investigation doesn't seem to cause any response, she will turn her musket to the carriage door, ready to send a ball of lead into whatever might clamber out.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kira's gonna stay at range to give covering fire here...Maybe have someone open the door and duck back right away? Shira would be a good candidate I think, once she's checked the statue, but I won't complain if Dorrin does it.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    "Someone with a free hand go help Vilgeirr!" Dorrin passed along the message helpfully, looking at Shira with her two axes and Kira with her large boomstick. " ... oh. I suppose that's me, then."

    He picked up a large stick, the longest he could find, as he approached the carriage. "Hey, anybody in there?" he asked, hoping for any kind of a civilized response as he rapped three times on the trunk of the carriage with the stick from as far as he could. "It's safe to come out now." He listened carefully for any sort of response.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The ice statue appears to be of a man, frozen solid. From what's visible in the ice it appears to be a Taldan soldier - or possibly an officer - who was frozen with one hand lifted, apparently to protect himself. He appears to be wearing a metal armor, but the uneven ice makes it hard to see any insignia or marks on it However, one of the hands and various other bits of him - the front side of his left boot (and the foot inside it), the right arm, and a part of his neck appear to have been hewed off. By his expression - more shocked and frightened than anything else - the mutilation was done after he was dead. A few of the still frozen chunks of ice around have most of the missing parts, a bigger one has his arm, still clutching a longsword. Shira also notices several other bodies in the vicinity, who were cut down with multiple wounds each. They also bear remnants of uniforms, but the torn clothes, missing weapons and the lack of boots show they appear to have been looted.

    From the chest you can hear thumping and muffled sounds. It does not open, however, and appears to be held fast.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-12-27 at 05:46 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The Ulfen slowly shook his head at the halfling's attention seeking antics. After the diminutive manling was apparently finished, for the moment, Vilgeirr made ready at the front of the trunk, his round shield up and falcata raised slightly over his head to bring down on anything nasty which might spring forth.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    "...Open it," Kira says to Dorrin, if the shuffling inside doesn't seem to cause the door to open on its own, weapon still trained on the door. "Better shoot whatever beastie or skellie or whatever they've got stuffed in there now, than have it wander around and find us when we're camped out."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Based on the post, I'm guessing it won't open if we leave it alone.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Dorrin sent the stick cartwheeling back over his head with a two-handed flourish, then opened the doors to the carriage with a smile on his face.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If they're locked, I'll take 10 then take 20 on a Disable Device check (for a 13 and 23 respectively).
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    "Someone, or something, froze this poor man in ice." After checking out the statue, Shira moves to join the others in inspecting the noise from the carriage. She positions herself next to Vilgeirr, ready (hopefully) for whatever might be in the trunk. "It could be a survivor of the lady's entourage hiding from whatever attacked. Let's be sure it's hostile before we start swinging. Although it never hurts to be prepared for the worst."
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The trunk is locked, but not all that well and Dorrin manages to get the hang of it fairly quickly, despite the disturbance from inside. He flips the lid over and quickly jumps back as a whiff of stench hits him in the face, and something else makes him jump far back, surprisingly athletically for what he has shown so far. As it happens, a pair of hands lunge where he used to be and a mishmash of limbs and torsoes falls from the trunk on the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge:religion to identify, and Kira and Vilgeirr can have a surprise round.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-12-27 at 05:45 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira is silent at the inhuman, unnatural...thing tumbles out onto the ground, taking aim and exhaling slowly, letting a small cloud of her breath blow over Lyubimaya Sestra. Then she aims, and fires, grinning as the spark turns into a flash in front of her, and a brief explosion of fire, lead and smoke erupts from the barrel of her musket. A moment later, she shifts it to one hand, pulling a dagger from her belt and looking intently at the monstrosity that spilled out of the trunk.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Firing the musket! Then drawing a dagger.

    A: (1d20+5)[22] vs flat-footed touch
    D: (1d12)[5]

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Vilgeirr chopped down at the creature as it emerged from the carriage trunk wildly flailing at Dorrin, the forward curving blade flashing in the sunlight.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show

    Falcata melee attack (1d20+4)[20]
    Falcata melee damage (1d8+3)[6]
    (If necessary, Falcata melee critical confirmation attack (1d20+4)[18]
    Falcata critical damage (1d8+3)[6])


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Status
    AC 19; HP 13/13; Init +2; Speed 20' (medium armour); Perception +1
    F +5; R +2; W+1
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1
    Throwing Axes 4/4
    Last edited by drayen; 2017-12-28 at 04:27 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The ghastly beings stop moving for a moment, then jerk upright, reaching for the weapons - or much better, the flesh - of their assailants. Vilgeirr's falcata strikes a hefty blow at one of the things, but when the smoke clears,the one Kira short did not seem too inconvenienced, seemingly protected by unnatural sorcery.

    ((Two of them will stand from prone, the third was not prone and takes a move towards Dorrin. Vilgeirr takes his AoO on whichever he likes, then it's your turn)).
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2018-01-06 at 04:58 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The satisfying crunch of bone under the axe-like blade caused the grim northerner to break out in a death's head grin. Loksins ˇvinur a­ drepa! As the form dropped at his feet, he reared back and cleaved it again when it began to rise. Connecting again with the meaty flesh, he yanked out the blade and made another overhand chop at the foul creature.

    Spoiler: Ulfen
    Show

    Loksins ˇvinur a­ drepa! = Finally, an enemy to kill!


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Falcata melee AoO (1d20+4)[18]
    Falcata AoO damage (1d8+3)[5]
    If needed, confirmation (1d20+4)[24]
    If needed, critical damage (2d8+6)[13]

    Falcata melee attack (1d20+4)[12]
    Falcata melee damage (1d8+3)[5]
    If needed, confirmation (1d20+4)[11]
    If needed, critical damage (2d8+6)[14]


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Status
    AC 19; HP 13/13; Init +2; Speed 20' (medium armour); Perception +1
    F +5; R +2; W+1
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1
    Throwing Axes 4/4
    Last edited by drayen; 2017-12-29 at 02:33 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Dorrin shrieked the shriek of a teenage girl when the zombies -- yes, definitely zombies, no doubt about that -- emerged from the carriage. His scramble out of the way was fairly adept at least -- it was clear that he's spend a fair amount of time training to not get hit by strange things. If it wanted to chase after him, it was welcome to do so; he was at least confident that he could outrun the creature, maybe keep it distracted whilst the others did their work...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It's not clear if this thing is right on me in melee range or not. If it is, I'll withdraw 60' away. If it's not in melee range yet, I'll move 30' away from it and draw sling.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    If not adjacent to one of the undead Shira will move into melee and strike with her axe. If she is in melee she will just attack it. If there are any good ways to flank with Vilgeirr then she will try to get to that better position.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is there any kind of map that I've missed? Or are we just going on descriptions?


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[12] (adds another +2 if flanking is possible.)
    Damage: (1d8+1)[6]
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira lets Lyubimaya Sestra settle on the ground and rushes forwards, bringing the dagger in her hand down on the formerly-human beast closest to her.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Chaaaarge!

    A: (1d20+4)[6]
    D: (1d4+1)[5]

    AC 14 'till next round.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    One of the dead things crumples under Vilgeirr's afterstrike, and Shira's blade sinks all but passes through another, but it stays on its feet and swings back. Kira's attack is sadly off as she underestimates her momentum and nearly crashes into the zombie, but at least Dorrin manages to get himself to a safer position.

    Enemy turn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+4)[10] at Vilgeirr
    Damage if any: (1d6+4)[7]
    Attack 2: (1d20+4)[11] at Shira
    Damage if any: (1d6+4)[9]

    Map attached in the discord chat
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2018-01-09 at 05:49 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Vilgeirr laughed as the foul creature fell at his feet for a final time. Turning to the one that Shira has just engaged, he cleaved into the monster with his falcata.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Step over to the 2nd zombie and make falcata melee attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Falcata damage: (1d8+3)[4]
    Confirmation roll, if needed, (1d20+4)[24]
    Confirmation damage, if needed (2d8+6)[11]


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Status
    AC 19; HP 13/13; Init +2; Speed 20' (medium armour); Perception +1
    F +5; R +2; W+1
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1
    Throwing Axes 4/4

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Kira continues her dagger-offensive, moving to flank the zombie if possible.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5' Step to flank, if possible, then attack.

    A: (1d20+2)[10] +2 if flanking
    D: (1d4+1)[3]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Dorrin, relieved that the zombie's path of attack had been cut off, scrambled to retrieve his sling from his pocket, loading it carefully with a bullet and looking to line up an a safe shot at one of the creatures.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move action to draw sling, standard action to load sling, 5' step forward to get to 55' since I withdrew to 60' last time.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    Shira repositions herself so she is right next to both of the zombies, saying a quick prayer asking her ancestors for strength. She attacks each zombie, the one between her and Vilgeirr with her battleaxe, and the one next to Kira with her handaxe.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free move to move 5 feet
    Free action to start rage
    1st attack with battleaxe against Z1 (1d20+5)[15]
    damage against Z1: (1d8+3)[5]
    1nd attack with handaxe against Z2 (1d20+5)[9]
    damage against Z2: (1d6+1)[7]
    -1 round of rage
    If either zombie dies she ends her rage at end of turn as a free action, fatiguing herself for 2 rounds
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The_Shaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of paradise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

    The zombies continue their strong, but lumbering strikes, and are met with a flurry of attacks. Some of them don't find their mark, or the decaying flesh of the unfortunates is too tough for your blows to find purchase. Some, however, do, and Shira's battleaxe finishes one of the things as she lops off parts of its head and shoulder. The magic seems to give in, and the dead thing collapses just as it was about to strike back. Kira and Vilgeirr chop at the other, but while bits of it are hacked away, it does not seem hurt - yet. It, in turn, lunges towards the Linnornian.

    In the meantime, you notice that the snowflakes get a bit more frequent.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Zombie 1 is down.
    Zombie 2 attacks Vilgeirr
    Attack: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage if any: [roll][1d6+4[/roll]
    Crit confirmation is appropriate: (1d20+4)[20]
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2018-01-12 at 07:29 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •