New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Interested in feedback on this character.

I created a lvl 2 human fighter (multiclassed alchemist. planned multiclass monk) with the purpose of being a tanky guy who can stand being on the front line (while not necessarily doing a lot of damage to start) and make magical and alchemical items. I plan on moving from armed to unarmed (hence monk multiclass).

Str:18, Con:18, Dex:17, Int:18, Wis:16, Cha:14
    AC:17, Fort:19, Ref:18, Will:16 Hp:33 Surge#:13

Class Features:Battlerage Vigor, Combat Challenge, Combat Agility, Healing Infusion-Resistive Formula

Feats:Student of Artifice[Multiclass Artificer], Mark of Making, Die Hard

At Will:Crushing Surge, Brash Strike, Tide of Iron
    Encounter:Hack & Hew, Bell Ringer, Full Extension[Utility]
    Daily:Driving Attack, Knee Breaker, Boundless Endurance[Utility]

Items:Cloth Armor, Warhammer, Adventurer's Kit, Light Shield

Planned Paragon Path: Self-Forged
    Planned Epic Destiny: Sage of Ages

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Interested in feedback on this character.

You can only take multiclass feats from one class.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not at all knowledgeable at optimization, but there seem to be some very peculiar decisions here.

You probably know it already but your stats are way over the normal point buy, so it'll be very difficult to create a character who isn't functional. Presuming you took the +2 racial bump to Strength (in which case, why not switch one of your 18s to Strength and start with 20?), I'm counting a point buy of about 69, which is over three times what a normal character gets. You're basically Superman at this point.

Are you going to be powerswapping something in from Artificer? If not, get rid of those points in Int and give Wis the bump instead. In fact, even if you do plan on a powerswap I'd probably still make the switch. Will is important, and Fighters like Wisdom.

If you're supposed to be the 'tanky' guy, what are you doing with Cloth Armor and a Light Shield instead of Scale + Heavy Shield? I mean, you could go with Light Armor with a ridiculous stat array like that, just pick an 18 Dex and keep boosting it, but in that case at least go Hide + Heavy Shield.

Combat Superiority is pretty much just flat out better than Combat Agility. Making sure people don't leave is better than making sure you can catch up.

You have twice the amount of Encounter, Utility and Daily powers than you're supposed to get. How did that happen?

You can only have Multiclass Feats from one class, as Yakk said, so Unarmed combat is pretty much right out. I don't even get what you want anyway, if you go Unarmed you just lost your Shield and are a Fighter walking around in Cloth. Oh, and two of your three at-wills just stopped working properly (Brash Strike without a Hammer, Tide of Iron without a Shield). On that note, pick Heroic Effort instead of a third at-will, it's really not needed.

I honestly can't give a lot of good advice here. Everything, from the ridiculous stat array, to power choices, to the multiclass plans are impossible in a game set by the rules as designed. This is pretty much significant homebrew territory as far as 'optimization' is concerned, especially if you want this character concept to work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Highfeather View Post
    I'm not at all knowledgeable at optimization, but there seem to be some very peculiar decisions here.

You probably know it already but your stats are way over the normal point buy, so it'll be very difficult to create a character who isn't functional. Presuming you took the +2 racial bump to Strength (in which case, why not switch one of your 18s to Strength and start with 20?), I'm counting a point buy of about 69, which is over three times what a normal character gets. You're basically Superman at this point.

Are you going to be powerswapping something in from Artificer? If not, get rid of those points in Int and give Wis the bump instead. In fact, even if you do plan on a powerswap I'd probably still make the switch. Will is important, and Fighters like Wisdom.

If you're supposed to be the 'tanky' guy, what are you doing with Cloth Armor and a Light Shield instead of Scale + Heavy Shield? I mean, you could go with Light Armor with a ridiculous stat array like that, just pick an 18 Dex and keep boosting it, but in that case at least go Hide + Heavy Shield.

Combat Superiority is pretty much just flat out better than Combat Agility. Making sure people don't leave is better than making sure you can catch up.

You have twice the amount of Encounter, Utility and Daily powers than you're supposed to get. How did that happen?

You can only have Multiclass Feats from one class, as Yakk said, so Unarmed combat is pretty much right out. I don't even get what you want anyway, if you go Unarmed you just lost your Shield and are a Fighter walking around in Cloth. Oh, and two of your three at-wills just stopped working properly (Brash Strike without a Hammer, Tide of Iron without a Shield). On that note, pick Heroic Effort instead of a third at-will, it's really not needed.

I honestly can't give a lot of good advice here. Everything, from the ridiculous stat array, to power choices, to the multiclass plans are impossible in a game set by the rules as designed. This is pretty much significant homebrew territory as far as 'optimization' is concerned, especially if you want this character concept to work.
    My stats are based around 4d6 subtract the lowest, and i just got lucky. I turned a 16 into an 18 to get a +4 instead of +3. didn't think about the multiclass limits so ill just scrap the monk multiclass in favor of implanting a second battlefist. I didn't know about the racial power. The multiclass artificer lets me take self-forged as a paragon path which matches up nicely as far as defenses go and the battlefist counts as a mace not unarmed. Also, i don't plan on having cloth armor forever, just until i can get something better in game. The third AtWill power gives me more offensive capabilities while at the 11 lvl I can can't fail a death saving throw unless I take negatives because self-forged lets me take a 10 on my roll and Die hard gives a +5 bonus to death saving throws and lets you spend a healing surge on 15+ instead of 20+.
    Last edited by JayROSS; 2017-10-27 at 09:47 AM.