New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite indie game?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't know about that as I haven't gotten very far into it, but you should definitely buy it anyway. It scratches that Contra/Gunstar Heroes itch I didn't know I had.
    Don't get me wrong. I do intend to definitely buy Cuphead. It's just that I might wait a little while until it goes on sale. I'm currently saving up some money so I can prepurchase the Secret of Mana remake coming to Steam in like a month.

Also did people not get the reference I was alluding to when I typed "raised by a cup of coffee"?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I do intend to definitely buy Cuphead. It's just that I might wait a little while until it goes on sale. I'm currently saving up some money so I can prepurchase the Secret of Mana remake coming to Steam in like a month.
    Yeah I nabbed it during the winter sale so I get your thought process. If you add it to your Wishlist on Steam, you will get notified when there is a flash sale for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Also did people not get the reference I was alluding to when I typed "raised by a cup of coffee"?
    Not me, but can't speak for anyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93

Not me, but can't speak for anyone else
    Argh! You peoples need to put down your let's plays and abridged series for a moment and watch some classic internet cartoons.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah I nabbed it during the winter sale so I get your thought process. If you add it to your Wishlist on Steam, you will get notified when there is a flash sale for it.
    Yeah, with three or four huge Steam sales a year I can’t really bring myself to buy games at full price anymore.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    What this guy said.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

It appears that I forgot Eternal Senia, that was something.

Also, has anyone here played The Way?
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Also, has anyone here played The Way?
    If you mean the old RPGmaker one, yep. It was pretty good for a RPGmaker game.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

My favorite indie games of last year were Cuphead and Divinity: Original Sin 2. Cuphead was a delight visually, and DOS2 was a masterpiece if you ask me. Anyone played those?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pizarros View Post
    My favorite indie games of last year were Cuphead and Divinity: Original Sin 2. Cuphead was a delight visually, and DOS2 was a masterpiece if you ask me. Anyone played those?
    I've played both (but have not beaten either, no spoilers please)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Conquest of Elysium 4 - it's a rogue-like turn based fantasy strategy game somewhat similar to Heroes of Might and Magic in my taste. Not overly complicated but gives enough challenge and variety each session to make me come back to it every few weeks.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

My favorite is Minecratf

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Terraria is always fun, although it might be a stretch to call it an indie game, even though it's marked as one on Steam.

I highly recommend FTL: Faster Than Light, it's my all-time favorite indie game.

Other indie games I reccomend:
    Pineapple Smash Crew
    Castle Story

Into The Breach looks excellent, but I haven't had a chance to play yet.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

12. - Top - End - #102

PirateGuy

Terraria is an interesting one. It came out after Minecraft started to explode during it's Alpha and extended Beta phases, so it always had that 'it's just piggybacking' sort of stigma. For a time.

As the game developed into launch and post-launch, it started to carve out an identity for itself that wasn't being met by Minecraft. By focusing on exploration and combat more than Minecraft did, and by loosening some of the survival aspects really gave it its own type of fun. I have several friends who have sunk hundreds of hours into Terraria, but dislike Minecraft greatly.

Helps that Pixel graphics are more appealing to some than the 3D Voxels.

Into the Breach has rocketed its way up my list. It's a rare game that I think about scenarios when I am away from the game. With that and FTL on their resume, that studio has done some great work.

Shovel Knight may be my top indie game that I can think of right now though. It's both familiar and new, and it makes a cozy companion for rainy days.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Undertale has to be near the top. It's such a good experience, holy crap. As I've said a few times before, Undertale is a game where the worst main character in the game would be the undisputed best character in nearly any other game one might care to mention. The game part is pretty easy, but pretty much everything about the writing and the dialogue has stayed with me greatly.

A recent gem I have loved to death and which is easily my GotY 2018 up to here is Celeste. Expertly designed precision platforming with a extremely tight controls, pitch-perfect progression, a wonderful aesthetic, and a pretty nice story to boot. If you like jumping, give it a shot.

Assault Android Cactus is fun danmaku-ish twin-sticker arcade action in a neat package. More people should try it.

Oh, talking about that, if I'm talking indies, I should probably mention a lot of my shmup library! Some of the most fun (such as KAMUI, Touhou Project, or Jamestown) are indie games.

Subnautica is a survival game that is actually good and fun and has aims and is not just a boring sandbox. I know, I know, sounds ridiculous, but it's true!