New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite indie game?

Doki Doki Literature Club:
    It is a rollercoaster of emotions to play.
    It seems like a normal dating/Virtual Novel game. But after playing for a while you'll see.
    For one it is free. Has nice music. You even learn a bit about poetry in a non-boring way.
    Don't forget to save... there is point of no return to the story.

In the end, you'll be happy you played.
    Plus, look a song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eMcyXof44

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Having now played it, I can agree that Hollow Knight is indeed awesome.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'm going through it again, as the Grim Troupe free expansion just came out.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    It seems like a normal dating/Virtual Novel game. But after playing for a while you'll see.
    For one it is free. Has nice music. You even learn a bit about poetry in a non-boring way.

In the end, you'll be happy you played.
    Plus, look a song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eMcyXof44
    Hmm. I've heard of this quite a bit. Time to commit to a download at least, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Can't wait for it to come to PS4 :D
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Castle of The Winds.
    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds
    Free Download: https://web.archive.org/web/20110717...ft.com/~ricks/

I'm amazed he gave it away for free.
    I have not thought about this game for 15 years. Had it on an old "Galaxy of Games" CD-ROM.

Welp, looks like I know how I'm killing my night tonight.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    I have not thought about this game for 15 years. Had it on an old "Galaxy of Games" CD-ROM.

Welp, looks like I know how I'm killing my night tonight.
    This is, in fact, exactly how I got ahold of it. I think I found out about exile 2 crystal souls in the same way. Which is, incidentally, also free.99
    Spiderwebsoftware free older games.

My only regret is that they have new graphics for exile 2 crystal souls.

EDIT:
    Stat Draining Undead -> Transmogrify or Slow (Slow if you want the items)
    Thieves -> Sleep or Slow or Transmogrify (Slow if you want the items)
    Spellcasters -> Transmogrify or Slow or Sleep (Slow if you want the items, imo not worth the hassle from the slows)

Kinda wish I could edit the code of the game to make it Transm"Ogre"ify.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-12-11 at 08:07 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

7. - Top - End - #67

My computer apparently can't run Castle of the Winds. Bummer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #68

PirateGuy

Looks like a compatibility issue. Silly 16 bit programs. Time to find some workarounds.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like a compatibility issue. Silly 16 bit programs. Time to find some workarounds.
    https://www.dosbox.com/

10. - Top - End - #70

PirateGuy

Don't know if it's the download, but the version I got gives a "This must run in Microsoft Windows" message when I try to run it in DOSBOX. Found a guide, but now my mouse isn't working when I run the virtual machine, so that's something I need to look into.

Or just rebotting it will solve the issue, sure.
    Last edited by Jama7301; 2017-12-11 at 11:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Don't know if it's the download, but the version I got gives a "This must run in Microsoft Windows" message when I try to run it in DOSBOX. Found a guide, but now my mouse isn't working when I run the virtual machine, so that's something I need to look into.

So, I'm sort of lucky and sort of not. I still run a 32 bit computer. Which means it runs just fine on mine. I've heard that dos box allows older games to run. I've never really tried it with cotw.

The downside is that I can't play planetside 2.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-12-11 at 11:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Doki Doki is probably my favorite, too, and I've never done dating sim/visual novel before.
    I highly recommend to avoid all spoilers if you plan to play it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

Alien Shooter if you can call it indie. It is dynamic and funny.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I'm going to go with Owlboy- not sure it's indie, but my inner artist was awestruck the ENTIRE GAME.

What you need to do is install Windows 3.1, 95, or 98 in DOSbox. Alternatively, if you still have a Windows XP key or a 32 bit version of Windows Vista/7/8, you can install one of those on an Oracle Virtualbox and run CotW in those. (You can also run Win 3.1~98 in a virtualbox, too, but I find I prefer DOSbox for some reason.)

Personally, I'm fond of the DOSbox route, I have a Win3.1 Dosbox that I keep around for Castle of the Winds, Metal Marines, and a few other oldies. There's a few guides floating around for how to set it up and the occasional prebuilt package of questionable legality. There's also fair odds that you can find it on Archive.org's old PC game archive- They have a library of browser based DOSbox packages for playing really old DOS/Win3.1 games with.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

15. - Top - End - #75

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    I think I'm going to go with Owlboy- not sure it's indie, but my inner artist was awestruck the ENTIRE GAME.

What you need to do is install Windows 3.1, 95, or 98 in DOSbox. Alternatively, if you still have a Windows XP key or a 32 bit version of Windows Vista/7/8, you can install one of those on an Oracle Virtualbox and run CotW in those. (You can also run Win 3.1~98 in a virtualbox, too, but I find I prefer DOSbox for some reason.)

Personally, I'm fond of the DOSbox route, I have a Win3.1 Dosbox that I keep around for Castle of the Winds, Metal Marines, and a few other oldies. There's a few guides floating around for how to set it up and the occasional prebuilt package of questionable legality. There's also fair odds that you can find it on Archive.org's old PC game archive- They have a library of browser based DOSbox packages for playing really old DOS/Win3.1 games with.
    It's what I ended up doing. It took a few reboots of the DOSBox Windows to get the mouse to work, but now it does.

I have Owlboy, installed and raring to go, but I keep putting it off. Game looks gorgeous though.

I have been playing so much Stardew Valley lately. The Switch is such a good home for it, and I can't wait to pick up more indies on the platform, like Golf Story, Axiom Verge, and Battle Chef Brigade.

16. - Top - End - #76

I have Owlboy, installed and raring to go, but I keep putting it off. Game looks gorgeous though.
    Yeah, I watched a trailer, looks amazing. I want it.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I see Invisible Inc. has already been mentioned twice but that's not going to stop me from singing its praises in a more elaborate fashion.

It's probably my favourite Klei game, and doesn't nearly get enough love compared to their bigger titles like Don't Starve and Oxygen Not Included. Though the style is VERY different to either of those two. Less vaguely cutesy and more sleek and futuristic. It's a more serious game, but not without its twist of typical Klei humour.

The setting is a dystopian 2074ish cyberpunk world where megacorporations have taken over the world, and you control a group of spies bent on subverting them. The story is sparse but solid; excellent style, aesthetic and voice acting. The gameplay is grid-based, top-down, procedurally-generated and turn-based: a lot like X-COM, if you've played it, but not very combat-oriented. You make your way in and out of corporate facilities, completing objectives and avoiding/distracting/eliminating guards through use of line of sight, cover, timing, hacking of enemy mainframes and the tricks and cybernetic augments at your disposal. Each level is randomly generated and the game is built around high replayability value. It's also fantastically tense; every decision matters and things can go from fine to "all agents are being held at gunpoint" in one turn flat. On the flip side, using your wits to come up with a way OUT of an impossible situation is an incredible high. Unlike most other stealth games, simply weeding out enemies one by one isn't an option, as lethal weapons are very limited, and KO'd enemies will recover and start looking for you.

It is such massive tons of tense, thrilling fun. I used to joke that it made me sprain my neck because I kept sitting in front of the PC hunched over on the edge of the seat, but that's not a joke at all. That really happened. You should play it. It's literally a few bucks right now on Steam (though if you get it, do get it WITH the DLC) and it's fantastic. *u* (Oh, and also, basically every parameter in the game is customisable if you don't enjoy vanilla or find it too tough.)

Aside from that... Submerged made a really good impresson on me, short but sweet story-based, exploration game about a girl and her brother in a postapocalyptic world and a flooded city.

Limbo, of course. And Inside is fantastic too though I've only played the demo.

The Shelter games (and other games by Might & Delight) are excellent if you're looking for a wild animal survival game/simulator set in a fable-like wilderness (aka Sweden).
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    *snip*
    I recently discovered Klei and I’ve loved everything I’ve played by them so far. Invisible Inc. is amazing, but I think I might prefer Mark of the Ninja, if only because I’m absolutely *terrible* at Invisible. It’s still a lot of fun, though. I also picked up Don’t Starve a few days ago, but I haven’t tried it out yet.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hand of Fate was a big one for me, and I got the sequel for Christmas which appears to have most everything I enjoyed about the original so far, so I'd heartily recommend both. It's a narrative-heavy roguelike with very soothing narration and Arkham-style combat. Not perfect - some of the luck-based encounters have prompted a save-scum or two on my part - but definitely solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Hand of Fate was a big one for me, and I got the sequel for Christmas which appears to have most everything I enjoyed about the original so far, so I'd heartily recommend both. It's a narrative-heavy roguelike with very soothing narration and Arkham-style combat. Not perfect - some of the luck-based encounters have prompted a save-scum or two on my part - but definitely solid.
    Wait. You can save-scum HoF? That would have been good to know before 100%ing it. Some of the later Warlord specific tokens were just ridiculous.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I recently started playing Grey Cubes. It's a Breakout/Arkanoid style game. The twist is that while the paddle and ball(s) are confined to a two dimensional plane, the blocks are not. There is gravity and friction holding the blocks to the plane of the ball and paddle. Sometimes the blocks start off stacked so you can only hit the bottommost one at first. Blocks rotate and slide when hit, etc. Later levels have twists, like portals, transparent shelves and barriers, trigger panels on the walls, block dispensers, etc., etc.

It's a very fun and stylish game. I'm very surprised that the list price is only one US dollar on Steam. I suppose it's short-ish, but it has a score system, so it has as much or more replay value as a lot of arcade style video games of the 1980s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Wait. You can save-scum HoF? That would have been good to know before 100%ing it. Some of the later Warlord specific tokens were just ridiculous.
    It's a bit tricky at first but easy to do once you get the hang of it. Basically the game auto-saves whenever you completely resolve a card. So if you land on a chance game with a rough penalty for failure and completely botch it, just Alt-F4 right as your failure result is revealed, then re-enter the game - when it loads, you should be back on the previous card you stepped from.

This also works for botched combat - the game won't autosave until you exit the "combat dimension." Simply exit the game while your character is crumpling to the ground but before the combat actually ends. Use the Task Manager if you have to.

Hey, I did say it was scummy. AFAIK, Hand of Fate 2 made the chance games a bit more skill- based, though I haven't seen a lot of them yet to verify for myself.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #83

PirateGirl

I have a boring answer. Minecraft. I can't play it because I need time to sleep in my life.

I'm not exactly sure if it counts as indie, but I've also really liked Snake Pass lately. Nothing will ever beat Minecraft, though.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

24. - Top - End - #84

Terraria. I have played it many times, and I have over 1200 hours in it.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I may be a little biased just because it's so fresh in my memory, but I finally got around to finishing Night in the Woods and I'm baffled as to why I put it off for so long, because I loved it. Very few pieces of media have made me cry and this was certainly one of them. Easily my top game of the year, full stop.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    I may be a little biased just because it's so fresh in my memory, but I finally got around to finishing Night in the Woods and I'm baffled as to why I put it off for so long, because I loved it. Very few pieces of media have made me cry and this was certainly one of them. Easily my top game of the year, full stop.
    Night in the Woods is pretty underappreciated, even within the indie genre. I may even arguably put it on the Life is Strange or Dreamfall tier.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-01-03 at 05:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Not only is Shovel Knight my favorite indie game, I might go as far as to say it's my favorite game PERIOD...(actual period because I'm starting a new sentence/though).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Aside from Undertale, I'd say....Shantae Half Genie Hero if that counts. more difficult than the usual platformers I'm used to, the world is enjoyable and I like the humor it uses.
    "You doomed humanity for a cup of coffee?!"

The other two Shantae installments that are currently one Steam are also great. I never played the original though.

I am super excited both characters will be appearing in the indie game Indivisible later this year.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    "You doomed humanity for a cup of coffee?!"
    Just reached that point yesterday myself, really enjoying the game too!

It's also interesting how the 2D platformer is one of the oldest video game genres yet keeps on giving.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-08 at 12:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Just reached that point yesterday myself, really enjoying the game too!
    I get paid in birdseed. Lame I know.

P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T.?
    Don't call it that!

Regarding Cuphead...does anyone know if there's a part in the game where the titular Cuphead or Mugman utters the phrase "I was raised by a cup of coffee." Because if so I'll buy that game in a heartbeat regardless of price.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    I get paid in birdseed. Lame I know.

P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T.?
    Don't call it that!

Regarding Cuphead...does anyone know if there's a part in the game where the titular Cuphead or Mugman utters the phrase "I was raised by a cup of coffee." Because if so I'll buy that game in a heartbeat regardless of price.
    I don't know about that as I haven't gotten very far into it, but you should definitely buy it anyway. It scratches that Contra/Gunstar Heroes itch I didn't know I had.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy