1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default How do I make a "bridge" between an old ps3 and my wifi capable desktop?

So I have a desktop with wifi, a first-gen ps3 with no wifi, and an ethernet cable, and somehow made a bridge connection earlier today that worked 100%. Then I did something tonight that disabled it, and I have forgotten how it started working in the first place. Anyone able to help? Google's been providing no answers.
    Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable, my computer's ability to connect to wifi seems to die now, for some reason, even though it did not just four hours ago.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How do I make a "bridge" between an old ps3 and my wifi capable desktop?

You can bridge networks in Windows by opening Network and Sharing Centre, click Change Adapter Settings at the left, highlight the two networks and right click, and there should be an option to Bridge the connections.

There's also a wizard that sets up Internet Connection Sharing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How do I make a "bridge" between an old ps3 and my wifi capable desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So I have a desktop with wifi, a first-gen ps3 with no wifi, and an ethernet cable, and somehow made a bridge connection earlier today that worked 100%. Then I did something tonight that disabled it, and I have forgotten how it started working in the first place. Anyone able to help? Google's been providing no answers.
    Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable, my computer's ability to connect to wifi seems to die now, for some reason, even though it did not just four hours ago.
    If you want to simplify the set up a bit, and not be required to turn on your desktop to use your PS3, you could get a dedicated wifi router to use as a bridge. I used one of these to network a TV with no wifi; it was painless to set up and still works well. I don't know if all routers can be used in this mode, I bought that model because the feature list made it very clear it would work.
    Last edited by Excession; 2017-10-29 at 05:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You can bridge networks in Windows by opening Network and Sharing Centre, click Change Adapter Settings at the left, highlight the two networks and right click, and there should be an option to Bridge the connections.

There's also a wizard that sets up Internet Connection Sharing.
    You don't understand. This is what I HAVE been doing. But now it no longer works. It seems to disconnect my computer from the wifi for reasons I do not comprehend.
    (Also wizard? how do I access that? Is it likely to work better?)

Edit: Found the Answer. Apparently I had to set wired to 9999 and wifi to 1, rather than just 2 and 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    If you want to simplify the set up a bit, and not be required to turn on your desktop to use your PS3, you could get a dedicated wifi router to use as a bridge. I used one of these to network a TV with no wifi; it was painless to set up and still works well. I don't know if all routers can be used in this mode, I bought that model because the feature list made it very clear it would work.
    Eh, might try some sort of wifi attachment for it some day, but for now a desktop seems the best solution. Especially since my PS3 and Desktop share the same screen.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-10-29 at 08:52 PM.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam