New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Whisper gnome archivist build

Hello Giants,
    Let me preface this with the fact that due to computer problems I am writing on my phone.
    In an upcoming 3.5 campaign I will be playing an archivist. Due to the world we will be playing in and the DM, I will be a whisper gnome (I played one of his relatives in a past campaign set in this same universe). After racial adjustments my stats are str6, dex16, con14, int18, wis11, cha8. Starting at level 10 I have tentatively built him as cloistered cleric1, archivist8, dwoemerkeeper1. I like the idea of having the sla's. My 4 feats I have chosen are trivial knowledge, academic priest, craft wondrous item and extend spell.
    I have also been allowed 3 traits: logical, preparedness and world historian.
    The idea is that he is very knowledgeable about things which have occurred but is terrible with social situations and doesn't really know how to deal with others in a "normal" way (much like some people at the dnd table😀)
    The rest of the party will be a rogue4/swashbuckler5/swordsage1, a rogue2/fighter2/duskbalde3/bladesinger3, a warlock7/dragonfire adept3, and 2 Druids, one will be fairly optimized if he reads eggynacks guide and the other Druid never really researches anything, I told him to take natural spell at 6 and find some templates of animals he wants to shape into and that's as far as I think he will go.
    With this party composition we will be very low on arcane power, I was wondering if there is any way that I can compensate for that with my broad spectrum? I am aware that I cast divine only but are there domains etc would allow me to cast any good arcane spells?
    And on that note are there any spells or feats that you think I would benefit greatly from?
    Any criticism and advice is welcome, thanks in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Whisper gnome archivist build

How are you qualifying for Dweomerkeeper without arcane casting?
    Solutions: You can pick that up with the Magical Training feat. Also, certain readings of Anyspell would work too, but you need domain slots for that (which a dip into Holt Warden gives)

There are a ton of great arcane spells in domains from Polymorph to Enlarge Person to Haste to Time Stop. Also, Summon Giants is a spell Archivists get early, which is nice.

Are you going to use Divine Metamagic later in your career!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Whisper gnome archivist build

It appears that I will not qualify for dwoemerkeeper unless the DM allows the casting of spells which can be considered arcane through domain spells acceptable (which I highly doubt). In this case that I do not qualify for dwoemerkeeper what PRC would you suggest I look into?
    I was thinking that dmm would be something to go for down the road once I get more feats, hence extend spell (although it's good in its own right). I was gonna pick up a nightstick for the extra turning so I could c cast at least one decent all day buff.
    Last edited by CMagnum; 2017-10-30 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Adding information without spamming the thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Whisper gnome archivist build

Sacred Exorcist 1 gives you Turn Undead without the loss of casting.
    Holt Warden 1 gives you domain slots.
    Contemplative (next level) gives you access to an extra domain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could use the Southern Magician feat to qualify for Dweomerkeeper without needing to take levels in Wizard or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm wondering, why that dip in Cloistered Cleric at level 1? For the Turn Undead pool? In that case, I concur with Rebel7284 that you'd be better off with a 1-level dip in Sacred Exorcist; you wouldn't lose a caster level.

As for being a simulacrum of an arcane caster, apart from getting access to domains yourself, you can always spend a part of your WBL at character creation on scrolls of divine versions of arcane spells as they appear in various domains. Then you add them to your prayerbook.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Alright, with the requirements for the real dwoemerkeeper class (I had been looking at this:http://therafim.wikidot.com/dweomerkeeper) I would need to use all of my feats just to placate feat requirements and not cover the level 2 arcane component of the class itself.
    I am now looking at going archivist8/sacred Exorcist 2 with the intention of going into divine metamagic ASAP. Since I will not need craft wondrous item anymore, I think my feats should be academic priest, trivial knowledge, extend spell and divine metamagic. By level 12 I can get persistent spell and with a nightstick I should be able to pull it off I believe. Would this build function or an I still running into issues?
    Last edited by CMagnum; 2017-10-30 at 07:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm seeing one: Divine Metamagic has to be taken after Persistent Spell, since it says "choose a metamagic feat that you have".
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thanks for the help! Should be a fun character to play