Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Eberron in Pathfinder [IC]

Septimus Rat

Once the tent was packed up, and word of the message back from home relayed to him, Septimus said, "We have our orders. Weather's looking better, too. Someone who can wrangle those beasts get them hitched up again and let's start moving.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

As the travel began, Tuugal kept a deft watch, enough of one that she felt confident talking.

"<When we began, you spoke of your master. What was he like?>" Tuugal asked Tessha, speaking in her native goblin.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfooted View Post
    Nice to know you're consistently homicidal, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Xihirli's ability to stay alive has befuddled all of science for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thematthew View Post
    I love you, you kooky loon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duneyrr View Post
    אין שום דבר פסול עם דיון טוב

3. - Top - End - #303

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by infoweasel View Post
    I PM'd someone who noticed something.
    Just as she was asking this, Tuugal's eyes ran over a few figures in the distance.
    "Wait," she called out, then pointed toward a mountain.
    "There. Two people are at that rock wall. They look armored." Tuugal's eyes squinted, but nothing came of that.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2018-01-02 at 12:08 PM.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Rolda snaps out of her brief reverie, looking in that direction but hardly seeing anything. "I don't suppose we should try to speak with them?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    As the travel began, Tuugal kept a deft watch, enough of one that she felt confident talking.

"<When we began, you spoke of your master. What was he like?>" Tuugal asked Tessha, speaking in her native goblin.
    "<Not master. TEACHER, different term and connotations. If anything, he had to call me master because my clan owned him as a slave. I set him free. And we....we had a lot of intellectual discussions and he didn't start out pleased with his predicament, lets just say that for now. I'll tell you more later.>
    She says, looking at the armored people, keeping her crossbow ready.
    "Well we can go and try to talk to them or stand around waiting for them to make the next move, so worth a shot. All yours Rolda, we both know I'm not the diplomat here. I'd probably say some stupid joke that would make them attack me."
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 21!

6. - Top - End - #306

"Yes, it would be appropriate to engage in parley" Guardian remarked. "I am ready when you are; it is perhaps best if I refrain from speaking to them, at least initially."
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #307

DrowGirl

Filing away the information on Tessha's teacher, Tuugal accepted the judgement of the members of her party.
    "Don't be alarmed," she whispered to Rolda, placing a hand on her shoulder.
    "This is for your protection."
    Tuugal then cast the Virtue cantrip on Rolda.

Spoiler: Rolda
    Show
    You have 1 temporary hit point for the next minute.

"Hopefully you won't need this, and I won't be far behind. But if they try something..." Tuugal stopped there, took her hand off of Rolda. A little more ability to sustain damage couldn't hurt.
    Tuugal stood next to Guardian, ready to follow his lead.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"Keep riding until we are close, then. Tessha, as true as that may be, you know a lot of languages. We might need you. Just try not to make any jokes."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    "Keep riding until we are close, then. Tessha, as true as that may be, you know a lot of languages. We might need you. Just try not to make any jokes."
    "Oh right. I'll have to be translator. This is going to be interesting. I'm uh, suddenly much more sorry about what I said last night and I assure you I'll translate everything word for word or at least close as I can.
    Tessha stands besides Guardian, knowing she might be needed. Being Translator is a dangerous position. Do you know what happens to them? Caught between two cultures with lots of room for misinterpretation, thats one of the most dangerous things in the world.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

10. - Top - End - #310

OrcBarbarianGuy

Septimus Rat

"Fellow travelers?" asked Septimus as he heard them talking about the parley. "I will come along and take notes, just in case," he said, pulling out his writing kit.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

As the group approaches the two warriors, Rolda says, "Be very careful with what you say. Remember that we can only speak of the capabilities of the artifacts to our designated parties. If these two are native peoples to this land,
    for instance, even if this artifact is of extreme importance to them, we cannot just say what it does. Imagine the repercussions if the other nations of Khorvaire were to question them."

They were getting close now, perhaps only 100 feet or less away as the horses continued pulling the giant sled down the path made by previous tracks.

12. - Top - End - #312

PaladinGuy

As the obelisk crested the ridge, one of the figures does something with one hand to part of the cliff face he's standing near. After a few moments, a loud grinding sound that can be heard from even this far away precedes part of the cliff face opening wide enough on unseen hinges enough to admit 3 more identically armored individuals. The outline of the door is fairly large, some 15 feet both high and wide. While it was closed it had been indistinguishable from the cliff face it is set into.

They seem to wait for your arrival, standing at parade rest save for one of the group who stands in front of the others, arms crossed. All are armored in elaborate flanged and decorated heavy armor, all but the one in front bearing a well made but otherwise undecorated metal shield. The helmets of each are worn high on the forehead. Why becomes apparent upon further inspection, just below the rims of each helm is a sapphire crystal in the middle of the forehead, about an inch across and beautifully polished. Apart from the shields, each appears unarmed. Upon their dominant arm, however, is an oddly bulky gauntlet with a crystal matching the ones of their foreheads inset in its center.

At the same time that you are able to distinguish more details about their persons, the group reacts to the details of the party now that they can make them out. One of the figures rushes to slam shut the massive door at a barked command from the one up front without a shield. It takes but a moment and he soon rejoins his fellows who have formed a battle line. Dropping to their one knee, each covers the majority of his body with the shield, the gauntleted hands held straight out and pointing at the party. As they do so, the crystals on them begin to glow brightly.

Having taken position behind them, the apparent leader of the group remains with his arms crossed and calls out loudly, a short phrase in a language none of you understand. They hold their position, remaining at the ready.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Pic for reference of the style of armor they are wearing, but their eyes aren't glowing and their helms actually cover their heads. The armor is also much heavier and less elaborate in style, half-plate would be a good approximation.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no. she didn't understand that language. Tessha would have to start calling out greetings in all the ones she knows, first she drops her crossbow and holds a hand above her in greeting and her other hand far away from her body.
    "Greetings! We mean no harm!" first she calls in Common.
    "<Greetings! We mean no harm!>" Then she calls in Goblin
    "<Greetings! We mean no harm!>" She calls in dwarven.
    "<Greetings! We mean no harm!>" she calls in giant.
    "<Enter: Greet +1// You + 0 Harm/Source: Us>" she calls in draconic.
    She was not sure if they could take them on. They seemed pretty magical. Maybe they would understand one of these languages? Hopefully?
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

This was obviously turning out very bad. Apparently these people thought they were someone else. And now that it's clear the group is not, they took up a defensive stance, and those things on their arms were likely some sort of weapons.

Rolda has nothing in her hands, currently, and she keeps them that way for now. About to tell the others to do the same and not do anything threatening, Tessha raised an arm and attempted to say something in different languages, it seemed.

Rolda's head at first turned to the hobgoblin a little untrusting of what was happening, but so far, so good... she didn't recognize any of the languages Tessha was speaking.

15. - Top - End - #315

DrowGirl

((Not even Common.))

Tuugal looked over the foreign people and an idea came across her mind.
    She gave each of the people before her a cursory examination, checking them for wounds and injuries.

Spoiler: Heal Check
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24]
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316

Guardian stood by silently, making sure not to make any move toward his sheathed sword, though he as always held his shield in his right hand, prepared to use it to defend as necessary. His unblinking eyes watched the humans carefully for any signs of aggressive movement.

17. - Top - End - #317

OrcBarbarianGuy

Septimus Rat

Septimus held out his hands to show that he wasn't holding any weapons. He spun the quill pen around for a moment. He looked at the men with their strange armor, and carefully studied the rock face, to see if he could see where the door was, and what made it open and close so smoothly.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[5]. Can I see what controls the door?

18. - Top - End - #318

PaladinGuy

The apparent leader steps forward, eyes narrowing at Tessha as she speaks a panoply of languages. Once done, he raises his voice over the wind from approximately 50 feet away, bellowing, "Thee speaketh strangely f'r a group of Syrks. What art thee doing so far north? Knoweth not thee we've annex'd this t'rrit'ry, and yond thou art trespassing in our landeth? And wh're is the crew of Broken who is't w're transp'rting the device? What has't thee done with those folk?"

(The mode of Common he speaks is only just intelligible, equivalent to Middle English. Thus the Shakespearean translation).
    Last edited by infoweasel; 2018-01-12 at 12:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Rolda was as still as a statue in apprehension.. though as the leader spoke, it slightly lessened. There may be hope for a diplomatic resolution to this after all.

She took a slow and careful step forward to signify she would begin speaking, still keeping her hands and arms still. But she had to choose her words carefully. Especially if secrecy was still on the table... Thinking on the matter, given how these people seemed to utilize magic and referred to the artifact as 'the device', she figured they had some idea of what it did. And given the hidden door in the cliff face, they also took measures to keep it secret.

Rolda spoke slowly and deliberately, even tossing in a few words she felt were more archaic to help them understand. "We hail from thousands of leagues away, across the vast oceans. Using this device. When we arrived, we found a giant monster feasting on its former guardians. We meant not to trespass. Such knowledge was beyond our reach. We search for missing folk of our own."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Tessha slowly lowers her arms and relaxes a little seeing as how they speak enough in common so she didn't need to translate, and lets Rolda to take over from here, not even speaking up at the leak, because it was more important to present unity than to start a potential conflict. Its not as if she could do anything about it anyways. Though it was strange: their armor shows signs of wear, yet not combat or injury? She might need to take a closer look when she had the opportunity, but right now she theorizes that if it shows such obvious visible signs of wear, that this armor is not new. Since metal tends to be a thing built to last, plus scientific method not a guaranteed cultural value, plus cultural tendency toward tradition, plus magic item longevity, equals in her mind: these people were using their ancestors magic items.

After all, if they could make NEW magic items, why would they send out their men in this old stuff to protect them? The thought of them using relics is not strange to her- Darguun after all, has warlords seeking their lhesh shaarat, and more than one hobgoblin seeking to recreate the wonders of the daashor in their pride than seek help from the chaat'oor. If Darguun could worship the past like that, why not these people? If a relic as old as the Couatl Empire could still function just fine, why not their magic items? They were in all probability not as old as the portal pad.

However she would have to be wary. Cultures that idolize the past like that would of course idolize the people who made the thing from the past they use today that they could no longer make. This could be problematic in a number of ways: the worst case scenario was that they idolized the past more than the magic devices themselves and consider any who can replicate or make things similar to it as some sort of taboo and do something horrible to them for daring to match their ancestors, the more reasonable but still problematic possibility would be them worshiping whoever did figure it out and replicate their magic items or build new ones. They would not want to let go of someone who could make more magic items for them, even if they worshiped them. They'd want her to stay so that they can reclaim the golden glory times of forever ago. Assuming she even wanted to help with that in some manner, she didn't really have the time to resurrect the old glories of some obscure tribe on different continent. She had a Teacher to rescue and a Darguun to uplift. Regardless, this could be a good learning experience.

The conclusion she reached, was that it was probably not a good idea to tell them she was an artificer. The only scenario in which it would play out well is if she somehow discovered some way for them to replicate this all themselves, give it to them and they in return allowed her to leave. Given her track record with encountering a foreign culture ending with prison, she was not putting her bets on that improbably positive of an outcome. Assuming of course that Laren wasn't here. The leaders words implied that he wasn't, given that they seemed to talk to them as if they were the first group they've seen. After all, who comes to an icy place like this often? She guessed that if they knew about the first group, they would've mentioned them, but she could not be sure on that. Its not as if she was good at reading people. If he was, well, the situation would get more complicated. How complicated depended on if they knew Laren and the other artificer was artificers.

All of this was just guesswork of course. There was too much she didn't know to reach any solid conclusions, but not telling these people she was an artificer seemed the safe way to go for now, if they got to introductions she would say she was a translator and soldier, both of which are true by one means or another, and if they ever ask about her interest or knowledge in magic, she'd talk about Darguun's ancient wonders and lhesh sharaat and how her culture idolizes it to imply she did to without mentioning her actual views and profession. Its not a lie if you don't speak anything untrue. For now she will just silently observe and try to find anything in the magic item designs that were consistent with what she knew, as well as read the leader if he was hiding anything.

Spoiler: OOC: Rolls
    Show

Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+7)[13]
    Knowledge: Religion (1d20+7)[12]
    Knowledge: Planes (1d20+7)[18]
    Knowledge: Engineering (1d20+7)[14]
    Knowledge: History (1d20+3)[14]

Sense Motive: (1d20)[19]
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

21. - Top - End - #321

PaladinGuy

As Rolda finishes her explanation, the leader of the group raises a hand in a fist and barks an unintelligible but short sentence to which the rest of the soldiers respond in unison, presumably an affirmative as they rise to their feet and the crystals on their gauntlets dim. Two resume their post by the cliff face while two others fall in line next to their officer as he begins to walk toward the group. "Thee arriv'd h're though the magical device? Yond is well then, thy fellows art currently hon'r'd guests of mine own lord. Cometh with us and we shall esc'rt thee to thy comrades."

OOC:

Wow. Dudebro here rolled so badly that literally EVERYONE in the group (I rolled for you) can tell that he is lying, even over the wind and the distance. He's pretty bad at this. His hesitance and body language scream deception from a mile away.

Also Rolda I am shocked that your diplomat has zero ranks in Sense Motive. I'll be merciful and let you fix that if you want to swap out some skill points...
    Last edited by infoweasel; 2018-01-12 at 08:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Tessha casually bends down and picks up her crossbow as if it was nothing, then whispers to Rolda:
    "Rolda. He is clearly lying. We need proof the teams there. Ask them for the teams names. Don't say them yourself."
    That will be all they need to determine what to do about the situation. The man does not benefit to lie about the names, while if doesn't know them he will have no way to get around it. If he does say the names then they know that they need to go in with them. If he can't say their names they know not to waste their time with this. They can't afford to get sidetracked if the team is not there.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Rolda was at first relieved to hear this. It was, after all, exactly what she would have wanted to hear. She probably would have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

But something was totally off here: the facts.

There was no way this was possible, based off of everything she knew. Even though she wanted to believe it. Why would not a single person send correspondence back to Shevoln or Zancorin? As honored guests, they would have the freedom to do so...

Tessha was whispering in Rolda's ear, but Rolda was already cooking up a plan.

"Honored guests?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. She turned to Tessha and dismissively waved her away with a, "Yes, yes, I know."

Returning her attention to the leader she said, "Sadly, we can do no such thing. Our lords bade us to retrieve them immediately. They will be very cross to hear our comrades have been making merry without correspondence. Please, bring them forth so that they can be sent home and chastised." Rolda pointed at the artifact.
    Spoiler: bluff
    Show
    (1d20+9)[27]

It was a quick and dirty lie but Rolda pressed onward. "After that, I would heartily discuss recompense for our trespass with thee, and diplomatic relations with our glorious kingdom, Breland. She is a powerful nation with great armies, and I jest not, an army lies just beyond the device. But fear not, for we seek peace and knowledge, not war."
    Spoiler: diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+12)[22]
    And if Rolda's attractive bonus counts, +2 to that!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-01-12 at 11:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

DrowGirl

Tuugal had trouble parsing out his odd version of Common, which was her own third language, but she soon gathered that these people may be imprisoning the people they were here to save. In case this turned violent, she laid a hand on Guardian and gave him a temporary hit point.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

OrcBarbarianGuy

Septimus Rat

"When Saint Alyosha went to dine with the emperor, he remembered the feast for the rest of his life," Septimus said. More quietly, he said, "If our friends are inside, we should go visit them? Can we warn the base with a sending stone before we go in?"

26. - Top - End - #326

"No, my lady. He lies" Guardian whispered without hardly moving his lips. Being constructed without the ability to convey emotions via facial expression did have the occasional advantage.

27. - Top - End - #327

PaladinGuy

His expression darkening to mild annoyance, the leader replies, “I cannot bring them forth as they are not here. Mine own l'rd's man’r is sev'ral leagues yond’r. That gent shall beest joyous to parley with thee, mine own mistress. Prayeth accompany me and thee shalt beest reunit'd in haste.”

Behind Rolda and out of her immediate line of site, Tuugal whispers a blessing of Dol Dorn. At the sight of the symbol of the Sovereign Host and the display of magic, the two soldiers at the unnamed leader’s side contort their face in grimaces of hateful fear. “Altavar!” one hisses in contempt. Nigh simultaneously, each flicks their gauntleted arms with an odd turn of the wrist. The crystals that had previously burned brightly at the party’s initial approach disappear. At the same moment, a three-foot crystalline blade extends from the gauntlet’s front, an aperture previously hidden. The pair drop into a defensive stance, crouching and holding their blades before them.

Before either of the soldiers can do anything, their sergeant raises his arm in a splayed palm, apparently a sign for ‘stop’ or ‘hold’ even in this strange place. A guttural-sounding command and warning is barked at both, the sergeant obviously annoyed at their reaction. The pair look embarrassed at the chastisement as they stand back to attention and their blades retract into their gauntlets, becoming inset crystals once more. “Prithee pardon mine own soldi'rs, those gents art not hath used to dealing with f'reign'rs." As the sergeant’s attention returns to the group, the pair look over the party with looks of disgusted contempt. Continuing, the leader again asks, “Shall thee cometh with me, prithee?”
    Last edited by infoweasel; 2018-01-13 at 02:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Rolda considers and says, "We shall. But first, let us commune with our Lord. We require only a moment, by using magic stones. Prayeth be not alarmed."

She hoped she said that right. Probably not. Some old classic literature sounded somewhat like this, but she could hardly remember it. More importantly, there was the matter of communicating back to base. If they would allow the group to communicate back, perhaps they were a confused, foreign entity that was merely being defensive. Perhaps they did imprison the former party, but due to some legality or fear of attack. And if they denied the chance to communicate... Well, that would make them unreasonably hostile.

Rolda turned to the others with an open, gloved hand. "Let's try using a sending stone before they change their minds."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-01-13 at 04:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

"I still say we should ask for their names. We still don't know if they are even there or not, and we have no time to waste if they aren't. The team could still be somewhere in the wilderness. There is no reason to go along with this if they aren't even there."
    She hands over the stone nonetheless. She was going to use this to try and let them know which continent they were on but given that Rolda already did that, she couldn't see any better use for it right now. Like what later use could she possibly need this for? To let them know mission complete? yeah right, they could just go back and show them for that. To call for help? They seemed to consider them pretty deniable and expendable. So probably not. And well, there like two or three other stones left to use for sending back information if needed. This was a smart use if nothing else was available.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

30. - Top - End - #330

DrowGirl

"If he doesn't know the names of the missing persons," Tuugal responded.
    "It doesn't mean he doesn't have them there. He could even botch a description of them, or have never seen them with his own eyes, and the people within could still be there." She slid a glance at the man, then spoke in Goblin.
    "<We know he's lying, but we don't know that it's about our people's location. I think he's lying about keeping them as guests. I expect this to turn into a prison break.>"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2018-01-13 at 08:11 PM.
    Show