New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default [IC] Hunting for Treasure - a D&D5e casual game

Angleroot is a quiet and small town located in a region of grassy hills.

It is a cold autumn morning in the village of Angleroot. A strong rain falls outside, but even so the farmers work their fields and the villagers tend to their daily routines.

A warm fire roars inside the tavern of Gord’s Goose, while the tavern keeper chops artichokes and hums softly. “And the arty goes cho- CHOP! And the ckokey goes cho-CHOP! And then all.. into my tummy..”

You have all come to this small village for a simple reason. North of here lies an old abandoned keep, rumoured to have treasure inside it. To what end do you seek fortune? That’s your own business. Will you succeed in acquiring it? Only time will tell.

And so you have researched the stories about the ruins of...

Blackstone keep
    Aeons ago, a wizard king ruled this region from the eyrie halls of Black Stone. Legend says the wizard lost his mind in search of arcane power and his subjects rebelled against the throne, marching in exodus to new lands and leaving the insane king to his own unknown fate.

Be it truth or myth, it is undeniable that the strange ruins stand there, abandoned.

Over the years, a handful of heroes have dared to venture into the keep, looking to unearth forgotten riches. But no bard sings tales of their return.

It’s a safe to presume monsters to have taken up the abandoned structure as their new lair and the dangers of this expedition are clear to all.

On this cold autumn morning, you gather around a large wooden table at Gord’s Goose inn and tavern, maps and plans scattered amidst the food and drinks kindly offered by the tavern master.

From the information you have gathered, the ancient keep has been recently occupied by a group of members of the Greyblood gang.

Over the last few days, you stayed at Grood’s Goose tavern and might have had the opportunity to get better acquainted with the town folk.

Spoiler: NPCs of the town
    Show

Please choose one NPC that you have either befriended or become hostile against. They will provide help in the form of small favors or challenge you in interesting ways, I hope.

The Guard: Cassandra Pyke is a veteran retired fighter who takes on her shoulders the responsabilities of keeping the village safe.

The scholar: The old crone Jidora Salinq, lives alone in her library. She has a wide collection of books, some of which may contain magic, but she is suspicious of strangers.

Tavern keeper: Gord, male human, great cook. A simple man of simple pleasures.

The crafter: Hazel Windcharm, a young women, passionate for the arts of alchemy.

The village healer: a male dragonborn named Jorlok Akram who studies herbs and natural remedies.

The horse breeder: Nadia Madeer, a half-elf horse breeder and keeper of the stables.

Spoiler: A peculiar custom
    Show
    You also notice a strange custom around town. When people drink ale, it is the norm to spill the first sip to the group and say the words “honor to the ghosts”. If the drinker has companions, it is common for them to reply “blessed be their might”.

However, if you ask someone about this strange custom, they will shy away from giving an honest answer and quickly bring up a different subject.

Spoiler: The Greybloods
    Show
    Depending on your overall alignment, you might have very different opinions concerning this group.

Spoiler: If you are mostly lawful
    Show
    The Greybloods: A group of bandits acting in this region assaulting travellers and pressing peasants for protection money.

Founded by a ruthless rogue named Juri Greyblood, this gang is over a hundred men strong and stretches all throughout the grass hills. They are well organized and keep disciplined ranks. The current leader is unknown, but all sorts of degenerates and evil thugs flock to thicken their numbers. They wear no distinctive markings, but identify one another through a specific thieve’s cant. The gang’s founder, Juri Greyblood is currently incarcerated in the tower of mysteries at the elven city of Yallafiel.

Spoiler: If you are mostly chaotic
    Show
    The Greybloods: A group of rebellious heroes, fighting for the common folk against the oppression of vicious lords.

Founded by an inspiring champion named Juri Greyblood, this group is over a hundred men strong and stretches all throughout the grass hills. They are well organized and keep disciplined ranks. The current leader is unknown, but all sorts of adventurous good-hearted heroes flock to thicken their numbers. They wear no distinctive markings, but identify one another through a specific thieve’s cant. The group’s founder, Juri Greyblood is currently acting on a mission on behalf of the council of elders from the elven city of Yallafiel.

Today is Wednesday, 6th day of mid-autumn, year 775 of Balorbane.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Hunting for Treasure - a D&D5e casual game

Sasha, who's taken a liking to Gord, is seated in the tavern. She's already finished her first dish, and is waiting politely for a second-a dragon's appetite (even a part dragon's) is rarely satisfied, after all!

Hopefully not ALL of it, Gord, she says with a laugh. You've got friends to feed too, after all, she adds, before turning to Nina. So, Nina-much as I enjoy the company, the fire, the beds... Really, this is just a wonderful little town. But, anyway, much as I enjoy that all, we do have have another goal. When do you think we should be departing for the Keep?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Nina right next to Sasha smiles at Sasha's mention of company.

Your company has no comparison, dear. She smiles back. However. She preens running a hand through her long blonde hair to get it out of her eyes.

I think we should leave today, and survey the site before entering. Alot of people have died, it might be because of cave ins and collapses. Nina remarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gustav returns from the bar holding a large stein of beer.

Well I say we get right on with it and show these explorer chaps how to do this stuff rightly.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2017-10-31 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Your firendly banter is interrupted by the entrance of armed soldiers.

Gord is quick to greet them, but cautions at the same time. He looks over to Sasha and tries to steer the soldiers away from her table. Not that Gord thinks Sasha to be a criminal, nor anything like it. It’s just that the tavern keeper has met adventurers enough to know that the entrance of armed soldiers often leads to confrontation and the subsequent destruction of his chairs and tables.

Welcome, welcome! My dear patrons! Allow me to clean a table for you, this one on the corner is quite nice, yes? Come come, have a seat, rest your tired feet from the road, allow me to serve you the finest, if not the only, ale of the house!

The best showmanship of Gord fails to impress the soldiers, which sit, grunt, groan and scan the tavern with their evil little soldier eyes.

They bare the sigil of Defenestria, the small kingdom that has recently been taken over by Prince Vorlok, the evil being who wanted to marry Nina.

6. - Top - End - #6

Evening, gentlemen, Sasha calls over to them, with a brief look and smile at Gord. Whaat brings you all here today?

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Nina eyes widen, before she moves over and clasps Sasha's mouth shut with her hand.

Just be quiet. She said doing her best to hide her silvered eyebrow her most distinguishing feature with Sasha's taller body.
    Just trust me, and be quiet, please!
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-10-31 at 09:20 PM.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #8

Sasha shushes, but turns to Nina. What's the matter? Why... Oh. That symbol.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Sasha shushes, but turns to Nina. What's the matter? Why... Oh. That symbol.
    They work for a very, very bad guy. Nina whispers into Sasha's ear closely.

We should get out, while we can.

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay, Sasha whispers back, and begins heading for the door, Nina in tow.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Straight Dex for Stealth. (1d20+2)[7]

Obviously we're not so much going UNSEEN as we are unnoticed.

Edit: Yeah no, I'm spotted, at least.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-10-31 at 09:41 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Nina will attempt to leave herself.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (1d20+2)[10]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wolfram enters the tavern with a smile on his face. As his eyes adjust, the smike changes to a look of confusion as he sees Nina and the others moving carefully, taking great pains not to be seen.

That confused look changes into a look of disgust and anger as he sees the soldiers from Defenestria.

Wolfram feels his hand involuntarily close around the hilt of his sword. Yet, the only thing holding him back is the new friendships he's formed in this village. Especially the friendship with Cassandra Pike, the guard captain.

Motioning to Nina and the others with a nod of his head, Wolfram nods at the door. Looking back over at the soldiers, Wolfram makes a mental note.

...soon...

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

You all avoid the soldiers in the tavern and quickly slip outside only to be surprised by a lieutenant of Defenestria’s royal guard, shouldered by a handful more soldiers.

Nina has met this man before, his name is Vlad and he serves as a goon/personal assistant to the evil prince Vorlok.

Vlad is a pale man, very tall and uncomfortably skinny. He is clad in official diplomatic garments in the colors of Defenestria: yellow, black and blood-red. Presumably wearing armor underneath, he carries a shield with Vorloks personal emblem, a lonely black tower over a yellow background.

The heavy rain makes his black hair stick to his forehead giving him a foolish look. His neck shows two small parallel puncture wounds. They appear to be old wounds that just didn’t heal well.

He smiles and makes a pompous gesture saying

Lady Silvertooth, lady Goldleaf, Sir Streicher, *Mister* Freehorn, I’m terribly sorry to interrupt your breakfast, but I bring urgent news from my lord, the magnificent prince Vorlok.

The pale man produces a scroll, clumsly drops it to the mud – sorry, sorry about that – unrolls it and reads in a strangely high voice:

My dearest Nina,

It is my desire to inform you that, amusing as it was, I have grown tired of your hard-to-get act. It is my deepest feeling that our love cannot be delayed any longer. And thus I send my faithful men to fetch you and your friends who must all join me in my castle.

To demonstrate my good faith, I send you a gift in the form of this puppy

Vlad snaps his fingers and two soldiers bring forth a small cage where a puppy barks and wiggles his tail enthusiastically.

I have nourished and cared for this little beast – which I named Spots – in an effort to prove that you too will be nourished and cared for.

I wait for your expeditious arrival.

Your loving prince,

The Magnificent Vorlok, undisputed ruler of the great Kingdom of Defenestria.

Vlad looks over from the scroll and adds:

On a final note, Prince Vorlok would like you to know that attempting to change the puppy’s name will be punishable by death.

As he finishes reading, the rain thins out and some sunlight starts seeping through the dark clouds. The skinny pale man puts away the scroll and asks in a tone close to begging:

Now please, lady Silvertooth, please, let us go back and get away from this horrible sunlight, what do you say?

Vlad stands there, painfully contorting his face in a failed attempt to smile.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    (1d20+1)[21]

Sasha looks to Spots, and smiles at the little puppers. Aw, how sweet! Nina-I'm going to assume this isn't ENOUGH, but it's at least a nice touch. The punishable by death, though... Less endearing, she says. Can he come out to play?

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Nina still behind Sasha can't help but feel she's failing to remember something important... Like maybe it was about... undead.... or blood.... or the sun....

But Sasha was really distracting. Hiking herself on Sasha's shoulders, she kisses Sasha's cheek. Not nearly, not much of a pet person. She comments. (Sasha gains inspiration)

Also. Why my friends? Like is this an open marriage I don't know about? She says addressing the diplomat.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sasha blushes a little when Nina pecks her cheek, then more when she asks if the marriage is open. Nina! she rebukes the other woman. Excuse us a moment-I need to talk to her, she adds as she pulls Nina a short distance away.

The important thing is, I think this Vlad fellow is a vampire. He hates the sun, and... Well, just look at him. We need to stall till the sun comes, she says in a hushed tone. Got it?

Show
    I'm assuming a nat 20 with a (small) bonus lets me realize Vlad's vampiric nature. If not, DM, I'll edit this post.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-11-01 at 01:04 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh. Nina comments.

So I should probably ask more about this open marriage thing, right? I mean seems the easiest way to stall for time is to pretend I have questions. Nina adds.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the others talk Gustav merely stands betweeen them and the horde of thugs, a nervous smile on his lips and fidgeting with his belt to try and stop himself reaching for his crossbow.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

Wolfram places himself between Nina and Vlad. Fighting the urge to draw his sword, Wolfram merely keeps his hand near the hilt.

Glancing back at Nina, Wolfram utters a simple message.

"On your word, Nina."

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Oh. Nina comments.

So I should probably ask more about this open marriage thing, right? I mean seems the easiest way to stall for time is to pretend I have questions. Nina adds.
    Maybe not that SPECIFICALLY, but yes. Questions good, Sasha replies, and turns back around to face Vlad.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

So um. Why spots? Like what inspired the name. Nina replied gesturing with her hand to stay Wolfram's blade for now.

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

I was hoping you would ask that

Vlad opens a big smile. Unlike his previous attempt to appear friendly, this is a big, cruel and terrifying smile.

His body becomes surrounded in a strange dark aura and he motions to cast a spell.

Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    Please roll initiative :)

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

As soon as Wolfram hears Vlad begin to utter the words of a spell, he does his best to act quickly. Drawing his sword, Wolfram springs into motion.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+3)[17]

24. - Top - End - #24

Nina immediately, pulls out a puppet Nina as she springs into action.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Init (1d20+2)[4]

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

]Aren’irht Jyor--…

Vlad starts to speak and gesture to invoke whatever dark powers he intents to use (probably something to do with “spots” for a cruel punchline). But he is not fast enough!

Sasha Goldleaf, the young sorcerer, is quick on her feet!

Besides the three soldiers inside the tavern (who are probably coming out or setting up a flanking position from the windows), there are two soldiers next to Vlad.

Spoiler: What do the soldiers look like?
    Show
    Soldiers outside: A halfelf woman, wearing leather armor and holding a big net. She also has a handaxe in her belt. The other soldier, a male, looks more elvish than the first, wears the same armor and wields a sickle, with a few javelins strapped to his back. It seems strange that he is the only one without gloves, but they all look strange to be honest.

Spoiler: The Initiative Order
    Show
    The initiative order:

Sasha – 21
    Wolfram - 17
    Gustav - 14
    Vlad – 12
    Soldiers – 11
    Nina – 4
    Last edited by ok.name; 2017-11-02 at 03:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Sasha steps back, letting Wolfram take the fore, as she whips out an incantation of her own. Forzare! she shouts, throwing her hand out and summoning three darts of energy to slam into Vlad.

Show
    Technically what I'm doing is readying an action to INTERRUPT Vlad's casting with my own, after moving slightly. So he'll have to take a Concentration save or three to successfully cast his spell.

(1d4+1)[5]
    (1d4+1)[3]
    (1d4+1)[5]

Now, I'm not sure if it should be three DC 10 Concentration checks, or, since they all hit at once, one DC 10 (since max damage is 15, and half of 15 is less than 10).

I'd obviously prefer, in this instance, three checks, but so long as we get a ruling and it's kept, I'll be okay with it.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

Wolfram surges forward as he swings his sword in an effort to interrupt Vlad's spellcasting.

Spoiler: Attack & Damage
    Show

Attack-
    (1d20+5)[18]

Damage-
    (1d8+5)[10]

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

The pale man screeches in pain "Aaargh! Damn you!!"

Spoiler: Turn order
    Show
    It is now Gustav Freehorn's turn!
    Last edited by ok.name; 2017-11-02 at 04:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gustav Ferehorn swivels on a heel, suddenly panicked he lets a crossbow bolt fly towards Vlad, scrabbling backwards he then desperately slams another bolt into the crossbows' chamber.

Spoiler
    Show

To Hit: (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage (1d10+3)[12]

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

Gustav’s aim is perfect and hits Vlad right in the left eye. The villain lets out a horrible scream of pain. But still manages to utter his magical words.

Huuaarrggh!! *Huff huff* --jill’ard flym-orrien-uh’zzyjh! –

However, before he makes the final gesture to complete his spell, Sasha’s magical missiles strike him, pulverizing Vlad into a pile of dust!!

The two soldiers trade quick concerned looks as if having a telepathic conversation about keep fighting or not. They appear to think that returning empty handed would be worse than death. And so.. They attack!

First soldier, the half-elf woman, attempts to throw her big net over Nina: (1d20+3)[19]

The second soldier, also elvish, retreats a few feet crouching behind a wagon (half-cover) and launches a spell against Wolfram: a magical splash of acid!

Wolfram has to pass a dexterity saving throw (DC 12) or suffer (1d6)[6] acid damage.