New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron 5e - A Life Well Lived IC

Liann realizes that she's alive, and she takes a long, slow breath. She takes a moment to tear off one of her sleeves, using the fabric to bind a few of the wounds on her arms and legs. She doesn't feel great, but she isn't at risk of bleeding out.

Spoiler: Hit Die Roll
    Show
    (1d8+2)[5]
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:

Finley for the second leg...

Blade attack disadvantage (1d20+5)[22] or (1d20+5)[19] for (2d10)[11]

Crushing rocks fail save (2d10)[6]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tarkus looked back over the tablet, trying to recollect just what he noticed. "What did I say about running around carelessly!" Tarkus huffed, thumbing over the markings, and pressing what he believed to be the marking that shone blue.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Tarkus' thick, solid finger thunks against the stonework, reminding him of the hollow behind the heavy entablature. His guess is correct and the glyph glows faintly, but he hasn't the magical or linguistic knowledge to make the next connection. It could be any of hundreds.

A large portion the long hallway is dark - the braziers at this and the other end are unable to penetrate that far. But the mechanisms erupt from the walls as each of his companions enter. The sounds they make do not seem promising.

5. - Top - End - #95

BlackDragon

Fearful, Tarkus wracked his mind for a solution, worried, but knowing that throwing his mass into the meatgrinder could only make things worse.
    Spoiler: Knowledge roll
    Show
    (1d20)[17]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Tarkus realizes there are options...

Preparation and adaptability are what make House Cannith strong. It is made up of a huge numbers of magewrights, tinkerers, artisans, wizards, and artificers. And one thing he's heard all of them say over his nearly thirty years is, "the right tool for the job."

Tarkus is a warrior. He can enter the hall and try to destroy the blades as they attack. Or he can break the entablature, or pry it free and see if there's something behind it.

He's not an arcanist or spellcaster, but he thinks that woman they left in the crevasse likely was.

7. - Top - End - #97

BlackDragon

"Whatever you two do, do not move beyond that chamber until I return. I don't want to have to drag your body out of the way, hold on as best you can. I'm getting Carver." Tarkus declared, stepping away from the tablet, and exiting the chamber, looking outside, and calling for the mysterious woman.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Tarkus runs back up the many flights of stairs (he’s not out of breath!) and out of the hall. It’s only been about ten minutes since you first walked through the door, and from the look of it the woman didn’t leave. The ponies have calmed and the bodies have been dragged aside. A small pile of weapons and various items is accumulated next to them.

She practically jumps when you reappear, and holds her staff toward you menacingly. “You stay back, warforged. I don’t want to fight!”

9. - Top - End - #99

BlackDragon

"Yeah, well, neither do I. I need your help." Tarkus would declare, raising his hands to show his lack of weaponry in them. "Now, do you read any weird languages? Or have any means to do so?" Tarkus asked, looking over the woman.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Funeral for a friend - Crevasse

Carver gawps at the strange question. "What do you consider weird? And why? Please say you need an interpreter to avoid another fight. I have a few tongues at my disposal."

Perception check please.

11. - Top - End - #101

BlackDragon

"It'll save lives, and since that's your prerogative, I suggest you follow." Tarkus retorts.
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20)[5]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Would you guys possibly be open to a additional member? I listen to TPT and shane and eshien made it sound cool

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alkerite View Post
    "It'll save lives, and since that's your prerogative, I suggest you follow." Tarkus retorts.
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    [roll0]

Funeral for a friend - Trapped hallway

Carver hesitates, suspicious, then kneels and picks up two items from the pile and places them at her belt. She then nods and follows Tarkus inside and down the many stairs. His sole torch seems enough for her, and she isn't concerned about the deepening darkness.

At the bottom, in to the light of the two braziers, she visibly pales at the sight of the body only ten feet away. She asks about the others Tarkus entered with and is presumably told they're at the other end of the hall.

Made aware of the engraved entablature, and which sigil Tarkus observed alight, she studies it at length. "These are Draconic characters, but not in any readable sentence structure. The characters are arranged in sets ... oh. These large gear symbols, I've seen them-" she draws out one of the items she'd carried from the crevasse "-here."

She shows Tarkus what could be a tiny music box with a small hole in the top, and a tuning fork. The box, small enough to fit in one's palm, bears the exact same gear symbol. "I couldn't figure out what it was, but the gnome had it in his belt pouch. Have you ever seen anything like it?"

14. - Top - End - #104

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    Funeral for a friend - Trapped hallway

Carver hesitates, suspicious, then kneels and picks up two items from the pile and places them at her belt. She then nods and follows Tarkus inside and down the many stairs. His sole torch seems enough for her, and she isn't concerned about the deepening darkness.

At the bottom, in to the light of the two braziers, she visibly pales at the sight of the body only ten feet away. She asks about the others Tarkus entered with and is presumably told they're at the other end of the hall.

Made aware of the engraved entablature, and which sigil Tarkus observed alight, she studies it at length. "These are Draconic characters, but not in any readable sentence structure. The characters are arranged in sets ... oh. These large gear symbols, I've seen them-" she draws out one of the items she'd carried from the crevasse "-here."

She shows Tarkus what could be a tiny music box with a small hole in the top, and a tuning fork. The box, small enough to fit in one's palm, bears the exact same gear symbol. "I couldn't figure out what it was, but the gnome had it in his belt pouch. Have you ever seen anything like it?"
    "Hmm... Could be a signature." Tarkus states, looking over the music box. "But I wouldn't put it past that one to have a taste for mechanized music... but this tablet lit up, when the reckless humans decided to run down a trapped hallway."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

"It would. These glyphs here indicate it detects life energy. Passing under it activates the trap somehow. I can try to dampen the glyphs. Breaking it should work, too. And I can't imagine this and the box aren't connected. If it's a signature, it's made by the same person. Certainly not a coincidence."

Tarkus remembers something Caelynn said moments before rushing into the hall: "I do find it interesting the people holding this fast are willing to enter yet themselves are not protected against its defenses."

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Tarkus hmm'd and haw'd over it, thinking that the poor boy was only a lacky of the gnome... and thus might not know just how deadly the defenses are. "Well then, unless you have an issue with me wrecking this thing, I suggest ye' stand back." Tarkus calmed himself, pulling his flail from his belt, and glancing at Carver. "Unless yer' keen on taking a mace head, or eatin' some rubble."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Carver does some silent calculations and then steps as far away as space allows. "Have at it."

OOC: Though a large slab of stone, Tarkus knows it's only a few inches thick, and can likely power his way through if he concentrates on one point. Please roll 10 attacks for me in a spoiler box along with a description of his action. Because you are using a bludgeoning weapon against stone, you have Advantage.

18. - Top - End - #108

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    Carver does some silent calculations and then steps as far away as space allows. "Have at it."

OOC: Though a large slab of stone, Tarkus knows it's only a few inches thick, and can likely power his way through if he concentrates on one point. Please roll 10 attacks for me in a spoiler box along with a description of his action. Because you are using a bludgeoning weapon against stone, you have Advantage.
    Tarkus would have at the stone in the signature whirlwind of attacks that the flail so specialized in, his familiarity with the weapon showing through as a lesser combatant would have injured himself with the damn thing by now.
    Spoiler: C-C-C-COMBO
    Show

(2d20b1)[7]
    (2d20b1)[11]
    (2d20b1)[5]
    (2d20b1)[20]
    (2d20b1)[9]
    (2d20b1)[18]
    (2d20b1)[8]
    (2d20b1)[16]
    (2d20b1)[15]
    (2d20b1)[14]
    I took all ten attack rolls with advantage, which I believe I have for each of the attack rolls, due to the nature of Tarkus' flail.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The tremendous hammering first sends sprawling chips and dust, but quickly makes a sizable dent. Tarkus' focused aim drives the heavy ball into the same point with each strike, and with an echoing thud a point punches through. The next blow widens the hole and sends a shark crack through the chamber as the entire tablet splits down the middle vertically. A greenish electric spark flashes across its surface and is then inert.

Carver is shaken by the warforge's power. "That was fast work. The magic should be broken." She looks at the tablet and you note there is indeed a deep dark hole - a sizable hollow.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlackDragon

Tarkus would look over the hollow, peering into it, before looking across to the hallway.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Tarkus has to pull himself up to look into the hole, but just inside (within two feet) as the small, square tunnel continues on and on, is a metal plate, shaped like a gear, bearing a glowing crystal, several metal wires (maybe copper?) and, in it's center, a ten-inch tuning fork at attention.

22. - Top - End - #112

BlackDragon

The fork, obviously, caught Tarkus' eye, the Warforged reaching out to seize the enshrined tuner, before dropping to the ground with an audible thunk.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Intrigued, Carver places the small tuning fork into the device and winds it up. It does not play music. It makes a loud, rapid ratcheting sound, and Tarkus can feel the larger fork vibrating in his hand. The buzz lasts about twenty-five seconds.

Knowledge: Investigation (1d20+3)[7]

"They work together somehow. And it can only be wound that much - any less and it doesn't activate, and it won't turn any more."
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2018-02-03 at 03:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

BlackDragon

"So... will this fit in? or does it connect to something else?" Tarkus asked, thoroughly puzzled.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

If Liann is able to reach Finley without triggering the traps, she quickly moves to him and pulls him a short distance into the next room. She then uses her healer's kit to stabilize him.

If she is not able to reach him without upsetting the traps, and they also haven't been disarmed yet, she'll attempt to make a lasso out of her rope and hook it over his foot (or his hand, if he's conscious).

LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #116

BlackDragon

"Hmm... Wind it up, and release on my mark." Tarkus commanded, before turning back to the chamber, hoisting himself back up, and slotting the fork back into place, before trying to wind the scaled up device, if that didn't work, Tarkus would speak again, "Now, please."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Carver does so, and the effect is immediate: As long as the small fork is rattling from the box mechanism, the large fork is humming along in its nook. The copper wires leading from the gear base glow faintly with magical energy to the backside of the tablet, but as you've broken it, nothing happens.

The box ceases. "What happened?" she asks.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Liann ties a loop in her rope, throws it at Finley, then pulls him to relative safety.

She then uses her healing kit to keep him from dying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged attack: (1d20+3)[15]

She takes 2 rounds to pull him.

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #119

BlackDragon

"Not a damned thing." Tarkus lamented, dropping to the floor, before turning to the hallway. "I suggest y' come along. More tackle is always appreciated." Tarkus recommended to Carver, before heading down the hallway.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Trapped hall

Again pocketing the device, Carver shrugs and follows the Warforged. The tunnel gets quite dark in the middle, but you can easily make out the remains of the elf. In the small room at the end are Liann and Finley, looking worse for wear. She shakes her head. "I wouldn't want people to get hurt, or worse, if I can help. I wish you hadn't accused me and run off. Do-did anybody know anything about her?"

OOC: No, I won't stop you from looting the body. But I'd like at least token acknowledgement about whether you'll see the body is cared for or are just leaving it or what.