New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Awakened 5e class by cdax

Hi Everyone!

I have been designing this class for a while now, and I wanted to hear what you all have to say. I know this is a great place to get feedback on that sort of thing.

Simple Summary: This is a form of melee caster. Uses a variant of ki for spells/abilities. Their level 3 path choices are extremely diverse. I hope you like the flavor.

This link takes you to the PDF. I typed it up on homebrewery. I thought it would make it look cooler.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...W9zbk1xOXc2b0E

Thank you for all your Input!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Awakened 5e class by cdax

Hardened Body
    -feels a little odd. You get this if you are not wearing a shield, but you have prof in shield? I'm assuming you are doing that for options, it just feels odd

Awakened Talents
    -I don't understand how you can make a ranged attack with a melee weapon. Is this some magical ability? If it is, it needs some sort of fluff to give it a reason for being able to damage someone 30 away with a sword. I would re-work this first bullet completely to explain it better (or drop it completely). Do you make a ranged attack with Dex or melee with Str/Dex?
    -Technically I could choose ax, throw the ax for regular damage and also get the Power Edge die. Is this an intended effect?

Ruach
    -The recovery here seems to complicated. Why would you get 1 point back if you take half you HP in damage? Why not just make this mirror the monks Ki. It feels like a refluff, so simplify it and make it work the same (if you want different totals, that fine).

Fortified Soul
    -Shouldn't this be non-magical? Otherwise its probably overpowered
    -Needs a cost added in

Bounding Leap
    -Needs a cost added in

Precise Strike
    -Needs a cost added in
    -This is actually quite powerful when you combine it with other classes. For example Half-Orc Champion or rogue. Just keep that in mind.

Dahlia Flourish
    -This feels to easy and to overpowered to me, but I guess it is similar to the monks stunning strike

I don't have time to go further right now, but at least that's a few comments.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Awakened 5e class by cdax

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Hardened Body
    -feels a little odd. You get this if you are not wearing a shield, but you have prof in shield? I'm assuming you are doing that for options, it just feels odd

Awakened Talents
    -I don't understand how you can make a ranged attack with a melee weapon. Is this some magical ability? If it is, it needs some sort of fluff to give it a reason for being able to damage someone 30 away with a sword. I would re-work this first bullet completely to explain it better (or drop it completely). Do you make a ranged attack with Dex or melee with Str/Dex?
    -Technically I could choose ax, throw the ax for regular damage and also get the Power Edge die. Is this an intended effect?

Ruach
    -The recovery here seems to complicated. Why would you get 1 point back if you take half you HP in damage? Why not just make this mirror the monks Ki. It feels like a refluff, so simplify it and make it work the same (if you want different totals, that fine).

Fortified Soul
    -Shouldn't this be non-magical? Otherwise its probably overpowered
    -Needs a cost added in

Bounding Leap
    -Needs a cost added in

Precise Strike
    -Needs a cost added in
    -This is actually quite powerful when you combine it with other classes. For example Half-Orc Champion or rogue. Just keep that in mind.

Dahlia Flourish
    -This feels to easy and to overpowered to me, but I guess it is similar to the monks stunning strike

I don't have time to go further right now, but at least that's a few comments.
    Thank you for your input!

The first bullet was meant to be an optional magical ranged attack based on Charisma. I need to rework it to say so. Thanks for pointing it out. Good eye.

You could add the power Edge to any weapon attack, included weapon ranged attacks. That was the intended effect. Is the wording bad? Or is the versatility too much?

The features, fortified soul, precise strike, and bounding leap each cost 1 ruach and a bonus action. What additional cost do you think would work?

Precise is a good one. I'll keep it's power in mind.

I have always been on the fence about the return of Ruach. I got the idea from a pugilist Homebrew. It gave the class the ability to do a bit more. But I think it can be remodeled.

Thanks again for your thoughts. You already gave me a lot to consider!