New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Stone: Stone Age Science fiction? what the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I think the obvious thing people are forgetting is that there were several towns displayed and odds are those weren't actually the only six people this whole time. It's entirely possible other people either came from stone, somehow didn't petrify, or were somehow woken up by other means.
    While this has been theorised, along with 'the original astronauts discovered how to break people out of stone, but the knowledge was lost', it isn't actually canon because it hasn't appeared in the manga.

In all honesty, the science is bad enough in this series that I'm willing to overlook inbreeding problems or just come to a headcanon about how they were avoided.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: more flashbacks
    Show

Nothing too exciting but a decent end of the "chapter". Next time they're off to war, I guess...

I still feel the astronauts could have done a better job conserving human knowledge but whatever.
    Also... I guess kudos portraying pneumonia for the threat it is/was.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-02-10 at 05:38 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Rip Ginrou v_v. The Stone War begins, and sadly our lovely blind man is PROBABLY going to bite it due to it. Thankfully, Senku's bluff on having guns is a thing, but it won't last for long and Tsukasa is definitely smart enough to see through most of this ruse, I imagine.

Science can both improve and destroy, and Senku focusing on the former may of been a good idea for gaining allies, but will cost them in the long run. My prediction is that they won't ever actually beat Tsukasa and instead he'll become old and realize "...I'm an adult now" and face an existential crisis and kill himself.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Rip Ginrou v_v. The Stone War begins, and sadly our lovely blind man is PROBABLY going to bite it due to it. Thankfully, Senku's bluff on having guns is a thing, but it won't last for long and Tsukasa is definitely smart enough to see through most of this ruse, I imagine.

Science can both improve and destroy, and Senku focusing on the former may of been a good idea for gaining allies, but will cost them in the long run. My prediction is that they won't ever actually beat Tsukasa and instead he'll become old and realize "...I'm an adult now" and face an existential crisis and kill himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eh... I don't expect Ginrou to die. This doesn't at all feel like what would happen, if the story continues to follow any kind of normal rules.

But yeah, the war has begun. Intelligence vs power? Hm... I don't expect things to end the way you suggest, but I don't have any idea of my own. Obviously, Tsukasa realizing the error of his ways and giving in might be the best... but he seems rather stubborn. So maybe instead he'll just lose all his minions to the lure of cola and then he'll have to retreat.
    Good thing for the village is... they have a good defensive position. Let's hope they're equipped for a siege. But then they do have boats and fishing rods, probably.
    We'll see.
    "What's done is done."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This was a logical development the moment Senguko arrived. Suposedly its pretty easy to make iron as soon as you know how to.
    All the same the repeated rubbish about japanese swords being superior makes me want to vomit.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

This was a logical development the moment Senguko arrived. Suposedly its pretty easy to make iron as soon as you know how to.
    All the same the repeated rubbish about japanese swords being superior makes me want to vomit.

Eh, I feel too little progress. Also it seems to me this is a skill someone in the kingdom of power should also have.. Not mastery of but the basics.
    And.. It's a manga. They had to say they are better
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I feel too little progress. Also it seems to me this is a skill someone in the kingdom of power should also have.. Not mastery of but the basics.
    And.. It's a manga. They had to say they are better
    That its a manga does not excuse it for lying.
    Anyway, as such not really. I doubt any of those young bodybuilders recruited into the kingdom of power would have the knowledge and skill. It is kinda obscure, perhaps mainly possesed by survival nuts and geologists?

If they are smart though, then they might manage to find some of the metals that dont corrode in the ruins of a city. Alluminium Should be a viable pick. Or Bronce.

Alternatively they can just stick with spears. Those are a superior weapon anyway.

8. - Top - End - #68

I get the intimidation factor seeing as how these are all goobers from our time period so they think katanas are awesome.

But man. That's really dumb. At least Ginrou is alive (though I feel like that's entirely ridiculous) and looks cute as heck in those glasses.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    That its a manga does not excuse it for lying.
    Anyway, as such not really. I doubt any of those young bodybuilders recruited into the kingdom of power would have the knowledge and skill. It is kinda obscure, perhaps mainly possesed by survival nuts and geologists?

If they are smart though, then they might manage to find some of the metals that dont corrode in the ruins of a city. Alluminium Should be a viable pick. Or Bronce.

Alternatively they can just stick with spears. Those are a superior weapon anyway.
    Alluminium isn't really a metal you want to use as a weapon, is it?
    And they are not all body builders... maybe the soldiers are, but Tsukasa's limit was "young people" not "dumb people".
    Also, I'm not even talking about folding metal, but basic metalllurgy. Smelting and smithing to get any kind of metal weapons which seems like something they haven't figured out.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Alluminium isn't really a metal you want to use as a weapon, is it?
    Likely not if you got access to good steel. But the central premise is that these suckers likely dont have that. Its not like there is anything getting in the way of using this for a weapon though. Its strong enough. You already make bats out of it.

And they are not all body builders... maybe the soldiers are, but Tsukasa's limit was "young people" not "dumb people".
    Makes him sound like a dark, stupid version of Peter Pan. But it still means he is extremely unlikely to have access to that skill then. Its not something young people know about in general.

Also, I'm not even talking about folding metal, but basic metalllurgy. Smelting and smithing to get any kind of metal weapons which seems like something they haven't figured out.
    Funny enough, if you start with even basic quality steel then folding it just ruins it.
    But its a challenge in itself to get a fire varm enough to melt the ore, and even more of a challenge to find the ore without a reference.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter but little to say... Gen gets a few nice moments and we talk more about swords. I mean, there's clearly progress but little feel the need to talk about.

I've come to realize... Dr Stone slightly reminds me of Nadia, an anime from the 90s that while not as focused on it sparked my early interest in science. I don't think Stone manages it quite as well because it's a bit too focused on it's sciency prowess to deliver on overall entertaining story (not saying it's bad but the focus seems clearly elsewhere). Maybe when we get an anime of Dr Stone I'll reconsider?
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

What hurts the most is that you could come up with more plausible reasons why katana and folding steel are the most suitable in this situation. But essentially Senku has been used to speed up the time making them and they're just superior because raisins.

Having access to metal is a massive boot for the village, but honestly metal spearheads and knives would have made a lot more sense.

Although I'm a sabre fanboy, so I'm not exactly unbiased here

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #73

Dr Stone is a silly series. I have nothing to say but the fact I didn't see the hidden details from last chapter show that I'm really not invested in this. I enjoy it, but still.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well... I guess the diversion worked... I feel like really blaming the guards on this but... eh, it happens.

Also: Wow, they actually killed the henchmen. I mean, not actively but still. I'm shocked.

And... what is that great weapon? I feel like "information/knowledge" but that might be too meta for this war... Guns are too obvious... and I don't think they had time to built a nuke....
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well... I guess the diversion worked... I feel like really blaming the guards on this but... eh, it happens.

Also: Wow, they actually killed the henchmen. I mean, not actively but still. I'm shocked.

And... what is that great weapon? I feel like "information/knowledge" but that might be too meta for this war... Guns are too obvious... and I don't think they had time to built a nuke....
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really have no idea! Dr Stone's level of quality is...weird.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I really have no idea! Dr Stone's level of quality is...weird.
    In how far?
    Spoiler
    Show

So that was a lot this chapter... we get some glipses into Tsukasa's empire and more"morality" discussion... Thanks, Gen, for pointing out the obvious hypocrits.
    We are reminded of the two people whose names I've genuinely forgotten again already... I guess because I binchread that part?

And... I wasn' too far off with information. Senku is still crazy for going after phones... I mean, I guess radios more like. But even that is totally bonkers.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Phones... Well I suppose radio transceivers aren't impossible with what they've got, although they'll likely want access to copper and/or gold* instead of iron. Overstating the value of communication a bit, but the logic of getting them to the people who have been within the empire from the beginning is sound. Almost makes me think Senkuu was thinking ahead.

* People get really shocked when you mention that gold is an important part of modern electronics, asking why we don't just use another cheaper nonoxydising conductor (haha, good one).

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phones... Well I suppose radio transceivers aren't impossible with what they've got, although they'll likely want access to copper and/or gold* instead of iron. Overstating the value of communication a bit, but the logic of getting them to the people who have been within the empire from the beginning is sound. Almost makes me think Senkuu was thinking ahead.

* People get really shocked when you mention that gold is an important part of modern electronics, asking why we don't just use another cheaper nonoxydising conductor (haha, good one).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't underestimate the ability to communicate over large distances.. Nowadays it's hard to imagine but seriously, if you left hand doesn't know what the right does it's a serious problem in warfare. Though, this does matter more if you have more hands...
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-17 at 03:45 PM.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't underestimate the ability to communicate over large distances.. Nowadays it's hard to imagine but seriously, if you left hand doesn't know what the right does it's a serious problem in warfare. Though, this does matter more if you have more hands...
    [spoler]True, and I'm also likely assuming the Tsukasa empire has more people than it actually does. I'm not underestimating the ability to get warning of plans and movements, just saying that if the village is fifty people and Tsukasa is seriously trying to increase his number of subjects then simply having the ability to communicate over distances won't be as vital as it is.

I'd argue that the actual weapon is, as was said earlier, information, and that Senkuu is just phrasing it in a strange way. Knowing what the other members of your forces are doing, and what your enemy is doing, as well as what weapons your enemy has access to, is all information.[/spoiler]

Show

20. - Top - End - #80

In how far?
    Spoiler
    Show

So that was a lot this chapter... we get some glipses into Tsukasa's empire and more"morality" discussion... Thanks, Gen, for pointing out the obvious hypocrits.
    We are reminded of the two people whose names I've genuinely forgotten again already... I guess because I binchread that part?

And... I wasn' too far off with information. Senku is still crazy for going after phones... I mean, I guess radios more like. But even that is totally bonkers.
    I mean sometimes it seems really really good and sometimes it's just kinda bleh.

I also liked seeing a bit into Tsukasa's realm. It was neat, and I mean ignoring the mass murder and anti intellectualism Tsukasa's got some interesting ideas. Which I feel like is part of is. Also am I the only one concerned we didn't actually SEE the other two leads in that scene?

Also Senku for ****s sake you're not making a cellphone. There is no way in hell you're making a cellphone. How do...communication tower?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I mean sometimes it seems really really good and sometimes it's just kinda bleh.

I also liked seeing a bit into Tsukasa's realm. It was neat, and I mean ignoring the mass murder and anti intellectualism Tsukasa's got some interesting ideas. Which I feel like is part of is. Also am I the only one concerned we didn't actually SEE the other two leads in that scene?

Also Senku for ****s sake you're not making a cellphone. There is no way in hell you're making a cellphone. How do...communication tower?
    Eh... Tsukasa's idea are as simple as he it. And as simple as his army. I'm shocked he thawed out Gen, but I guess he assumed he could keep him in check. Honestly, in the big battle between Tsukasa's strength, Senku's science and Gen's silver tongue, Gen would come out high on top if if was armies against armies. The best way to make people follow you is tell them what they want to hear.

Ah, you don't need a cell tower, just stick a metal rod in the ground...
    But seriously, I've been thinking what you need to make a rudimentary radio,,, a mic, a speaker, an antenna... power. I mean, it's not that bad.. You won't have any luxury but... Okay, half of these are still way too hard,

edit: new chapter...
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, it's as easy as making cotton candy! Good to know I guess the explanation is decent enough but... I guess I need to read up on vacuum tubes..
    Also: Turning the enemy with sweets. This girl must be really dedicated to her mission if that is all it takes
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-23 at 03:35 PM.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #82

The laymans terms explanation for how phones work actually was rather nice, since I genuinely have no ****ing clue how phones work at all.

Also...what a fascinating turn of events. Cotton Candy, the simplest of sweets. If that actually convinces the pyromaniac to switch sides I'm going to be surprised.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The laymans terms explanation for how phones work actually was rather nice, since I genuinely have no ****ing clue how phones work at all.

Also...what a fascinating turn of events. Cotton Candy, the simplest of sweets. If that actually convinces the pyromaniac to switch sides I'm going to be surprised.
    I think many people don't and my understanding goes as far as Senku's explanation... except I'm pretty sure we don't use vacuum tubes anymore (? No, I haven't read up on it yet. Procrastination, yay!)

I'm a bit surprised where he got the sugar from exactly... I mean, I guess there must be some in sake, okay, but... how much exactly?
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #84

I think many people don't and my understanding goes as far as Senku's explanation... except I'm pretty sure we don't use vacuum tubes anymore (? No, I haven't read up on it yet. Procrastination, yay!)

I'm a bit surprised where he got the sugar from exactly... I mean, I guess there must be some in sake, okay, but... how much exactly?
    The sugar is from the yam wine. Yams are super sweet, so them being all burnt up would make sugar crystals. It actually makes perfect sense, especially since cotton candy was made basically so stretch a very small amount of sugar a long distance. Get a lot of bang for your buck.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

The sugar is from the yam wine. Yams are super sweet, so them being all burnt up would make sugar crystals. It actually makes perfect sense, especially since cotton candy was made basically so stretch a very small amount of sugar a long distance. Get a lot of bang for your buck.
    Ah, that makes more sense. I must have mixed something up. Of course zam would be sugary. Also, considering Gen was turned by cola it seems ot unlikely to turn someone with the offer of sweets.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the core explanation is sound, although aerial design is a bit more complicated than it appears (it has to be at least half the wavelength of the longest wave you want to send, to start), and in practice you'll be wanting to modulate waves to various (potentially arbitary) frequencies if you don't want everybody talking to everybody (an important part of phones), although for Senkuu's process modulating everybody to the same degree to just make transmission and receiving easier is probably sufficient.

The modulation would probably be the killer here, IIRC human speech has crazy long wavelengths compared to a phone. Therefore you'll have to modulate them if you want the aerial small enough for your phone to fit in your hand (these days aerials can be built into microchips, although generally the packaging). Modulation is rather simple, I believe you can do it with just a resistor and an inductor (or was it a capacitor? Been a while since I did it), but the problem will be having all the radios close enough that they can call each other. Even better if you can use a variable resistor (or some form of variable inductor) so you can change the frequency you're modulating to.

Oh, and we amplify via transistors instead of valves these days. Mainly CMOS, which if my memory serves is a way of making NPN and PNP MOSFETs* on the same bit of silicon. Again, a while since I did they way you make them, but the NPN should be within the PNP unless I'm very much mistaken. Of course a valve is much easier to make than a transistor, which is why they're using it.

*Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistors for those who don't know. Field Effect is to do with the fact that there's no connection between the gate (where you pump in your signal to be enhanced) and the main body of the transistor. Unless I've completely forgotten the Metal Oxide is what the barrier is made of.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-03-27 at 03:23 PM.

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter with a few developments...

Spoiler
    Show

The timing for the future warfare is set... I really would just put up a siege here.. They might be able to fish but otherwise they're pretty screwed during winter so I guess they might not even last that long.
    Also, Tsukasa is not totally gullible it seems.

Also, we get a gear which.. I don't quite see the point of... don't you also need to constantly turn this? What's the difference, really? For the funny scene conerning Kohaku's shield?

And finally... how did Senku not come up with bulding a water wheel if they have a river that's good enough for it? Oh well... time to harvest the power of water!
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #88

New chapter with a few developments...

Spoiler
    Show

The timing for the future warfare is set... I really would just put up a siege here.. They might be able to fish but otherwise they're pretty screwed during winter so I guess they might not even last that long.
    Also, Tsukasa is not totally gullible it seems.

Also, we get a gear which.. I don't quite see the point of... don't you also need to constantly turn this? What's the difference, really? For the funny scene conerning Kohaku's shield?

And finally... how did Senku not come up with bulding a water wheel if they have a river that's good enough for it? Oh well... time to harvest the power of water!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay so the problem is that with the original rope method, they'd run out of length to make the thing spin. They HAD to go back and forth to do the twisting required. However, with a gear, all you need to do is crank it. It goes in one direction at a constant speed, allowing for a more consistent thread that doesn't have the minor stopping point of having to switch directions. The gear does all the turning for you now.

Honestly, I'd have to assume the fact that it took three days and nights of working straight. He didn't think of doing it because he probably figured it'd take longer than that, and better to start on the more important stuff first. I actually like it, having Chrom come up with inventions on his own is something I want to happen more often because it speaks to the idea that science cannot truly die.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

After the eye rolling GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL scenes, I'm glad we're back on track with vaguely plausible (and far more narratively sensible) science.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-04-03 at 03:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    After the eye rolling GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL scenes, I'm glad we're back on track with vaguely plausible (and far more narratively sensible) science.
    Yeah, using candy floss to test your wire making machine is good, the science is now mostly back to accurate but simplified, and does legitimately make sense.

Show