New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Argh.. Brainlock

Okay, people, gather around.

The pressing issue at hand, is that I, the creator of this thread, have a problem.

The problem which I, the creator of this thread has, is one relating to Literature. So, literature buffs, gather closer.

Okay, that's enough clowning around. Basically, I have to write an essay to gain permission for me to take accelerated Literature. The topic, is, I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles Institution Adminstration
    To learn to think is to learn to question. Discuss a matter in the subject of your choice that you once knew 'for sure' that you have since learnt to question.
    The good news is that it's limited to 350 words. The bad news is that I have no inspiration whatsoever.

So.. help? Pretty please? :bambieyes:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Argh.. Brainlock

Santa Claus?
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Anything you used to take at face value. Science is a good one. All the best scientists are the ones who question the others. Of course, the trick is, do you question things, now? I should hope so.

Popular culture and "what's in" (that phrase is no longer self-defining, I know) are also good. Were you ever a person who let department stores make your fashion choices for you? Are you still? What made you question it? What questions do you ask? Has your questioning affected your decisions about it?

I hope I gave you some good questions to ask yourself and to answer. Now, here's a good topic:

"Waffles: More Than Meets the Eye?"

Yes, I bet you all take waffles at face value. but did you ever stop to think about waffles? Are they really "just there"? What goes on inside that waffle iron, REALLY? Am I to believe that the batter forms like that around those structures naturally? Is there a greater force at work? I can't know. But my faith has been shaken. Every time I pour the syrup into those mysterious squares of cooked batter, I pause, and I wonder...

And as you are going into accelerated Literature, you should be able to easily extend that to 350 words. There, I just did your homework for you. You're welcome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Thats a tough one. As I dont really know you and can not say what you knew for certain and are now questioning. As this sounds like it is to be somewhat serious you cant go to the old childhood fears like monsters under the bed. One could be Religion, of course cant say much more about that here but many younger people believe completely then as the get older they may still believe but question parts.

Is there anything in science that you find fantastic or hard to believe?

You may also go with something that you may not conciously (sp?) realize you believe like being almost unhurtable or not dieing untill you are old. But something happened recently that has started you thinking about it.

Like I said not knowing you, your situation, or your beliefs it is hard to say what you question now that you did not before.
    Last edited by Extra_Crispy; 2007-08-19 at 01:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wonder wich level this is? Highschool? Uni? If you know the teachers you will know if they expect some kind of controversy in the essay or if you should keep it nice and good. In the latter case I would suggest fairytales or classical beeings like the easterbunny or as mentioned before: Santa. Not much controversy there and you should be able to wrack your mind into a 350 words essay in no time at all. If you think you will score extra points/get better chance of joining the class with a "not so PC subject" I suggest something like "Crime does'nt pay" (wich often shows to be wrong). This is usually a subject one should not touch with a 10ft pole if one does'nt know that the teachers are open to a "red hot" subject like this.

Good luck
    Last edited by Swedish chef; 2007-08-19 at 02:05 AM.
    Ouche blue beblue schebuuu

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks for the helpful responses, guys.

Science was the first thing that occurred to me, but the problem with that, is that as I learn more about science, I either:

a) Know enough about the subject to understand it, if only in theory
    or
    b) Know enough about the subject to know that I'm completely incapable of understanding it, even if I tried. This is with regard to things like Quantum Mechanics and such.

Thanks for tips on Waffles thing, though... Something hard to believe.. hard to believe.. And something I didn't realize I believed... hmm... I.. think I see what to write now.

Of course, you guys wouldn't mind doing error correction if I post my essay here afterwards, right?

EDIT: You're right, Swedish_Chef, that's something to consider too.. I wonder if writing about "Good always prevails over Evil" will be acceptable..it's somewhat similiar to "Crime doesn't Pay", no?

7. - Top - End - #7

Of course, we would mind, what do you think we are, your personal servants? We have other things to do with our time you know.

Just kidding, I don't have any ideas, but I have no problem reading over the essay for you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

well the topic is fairly simple, just look through your life experiences and try to find one that syncs up.

9. - Top - End - #9

If you can't think of anything, it means you probably haven't ever changed your mind or even seriously thought about anything important. Which implies very little thinking whatsoever.

Suggestions are difficult to provide, since the nature of the question seems to indicate things that would apply principally only to you in your life. Anything we could provide to you probably is too general or shallow to make for a good essay.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

10. - Top - End - #10

I personally would have chosen Games Workshop's integrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Arameus View Post
    If you can't think of anything, it means you probably haven't ever changed your mind or even seriously thought about anything important. Which implies very little thinking whatsoever.

Suggestions are difficult to provide, since the nature of the question seems to indicate things that would apply principally only to you in your life. Anything we could provide to you probably is too general or shallow to make for a good essay.
    what he said, think about any idea you have changed your mind about, anything you stopped beleiving in, or, if you cant think of anything ask someone who you know very well for something like that, or PM me some things you beleive so i can poke holes in them. im sure there are better, faster places for that though, after all you ARE on the internet