New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Library of Congress: Webcomic Collection

The Library of Congress now has a webcomic collection. https://www.loc.gov/collections/webc...b=title_s&sp=1
    It is quite small, I think, and doesn't seem to include any rpg comic. I am not familiar with most comics in the collection.
    I wonder if they take suggestions for new additions?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Library of Congress: Webcomic Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The Library of Congress now has a webcomic collection. https://www.loc.gov/collections/webc...b=title_s&sp=1
    It is quite small, I think, and doesn't seem to include any rpg comic. I am not familiar with most comics in the collection.
    I wonder if they take suggestions for new additions?
    Oh wow. Girl Genius made it.
    As did Dinosaur Comics.
    SMBC, and XKCD.

Not there? The two biggest web specifics:
    1. Homestuck.
    2. The massive webcomic crossover war of 2007.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #3

I think that some big comics like Sluggy Freelance and OotS would deserve inclusion. Some choices also were somewhat strange: I read e.g. Manfeels Park, and it baffles me. The art is very derivative (handtraced screenshots), while the jokes are nothing special, and sometimes cross the line to incomprehensible. I guess it's an example of satire in the age of the Net, and continuation of discourse in comic form, and so mostly interesting as a portrayal of a general intellectual attitude, but, as a comic, I find it unremarkable.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I've actually never heard of a lot of these. The selection process seems very...arbitrary.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I've actually never heard of a lot of these. The selection process seems very...arbitrary.
    This archive is small enough that it is almost certainly managed by a single curator, probably in their spare time. So you're seeing what a single person was able to get their supervisor to approve as being 'significant.' It is also likely that technical issues impacted choice options - certain website setups are no doubt easier to format and preserve for the archive format the Library of Congress uses (for instance the relative barebones xkcd would be comparatively simple) and given the universally pathetic state of federal IT that is a significant consideration.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #6

Interesting. There are only three on there that I follow (Dinosaur Comics, Girls With Slingshots, and XKCD). There's also Shortpacked, which I haven't read but is by the same author as another comic I do follow (Dumbing of Age).