New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default My Wacom Tablet Acting Weird

So first off I think this is more an issue with my computer and not my tablet in that...

(a)I tried the tablet on my other computer and it worked fine.
    (b)I used my other tablet on the computer giving me issues and the problem still persists.

A little backstory: I got a message from my computer saying it needed to be restarted to install updates. I thought whatever. Ever computer I've owned has at one point or another given me such a message. I restart, wait for the updates to be over, and when I get to my desktop I soon discover my tablet is acting weird.

I'm not sure how to describe the problem. I can't draw in photoshop more than just repeated tapping the tablet with the pen and that will only occasionally cause dots to appear. I can't do any sort of stroke (at least with the pen, I can still use my mouse though but who draws with a mouse in photoshop). And I don't even know how to explain this but when I grab the scroll-bar to up/down on a webpage/window the direction is inverted. I move the pen up I scroll down. I move the pen down it scrolls up. Again only on my tablet not with a mouse.

I don't know what to do. I've tried unistalling then reinstalling the wacom software. That didn't work. I'd hate to reboot my system, but I don't know what to do. I need to get my tablet working right again to get some work done. Let me know if anyone might have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Wacom Tablet Acting Weird

Your tablet is stuck in some kind of "mouse mode", there's definitely some ongoing driver interference going on.

Try looking for the WinTab driver or service and shutting that down. Also look in the services list (I've got a russian OS, but something along the lines of "Manage" option in the right-click menu of My Computer, then select "Services" in that) for the Wacom Professional service, and try restarting that once you've shut down the Windows Tablet service.

I've got a tablet PC with a built-in Wacom digitizer screen, and the drivers for that and my Intuos always end up conflicting, so I can only ever get one of them working right at a time, and need to use the above method of enabling/disabling running services to choose which of the two is working correctly.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Your tablet is stuck in some kind of "mouse mode", there's definitely some ongoing driver interference going on.

Try looking for the WinTab driver or service and shutting that down. Also look in the services list (I've got a russian OS, but something along the lines of "Manage" option in the right-click menu of My Computer, then select "Services" in that) for the Wacom Professional service, and try restarting that once you've shut down the Windows Tablet service.

I've got a tablet PC with a built-in Wacom digitizer screen, and the drivers for that and my Intuos always end up conflicting, so I can only ever get one of them working right at a time, and need to use the above method of enabling/disabling running services to choose which of the two is working correctly.
    The what-tab what-driver? I appreciate your help - I really do - but could you explain it in layman's terms. I'm very computer illiterate. I'm using windows 10 if that matters. Could you tell me step by step what windows I got to open and what preferences I have to select? Again not trying to sound ungrateful. Just looking for a clear explanation. I do really appreciate the help.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Step-by-step is going to be hard because I'm on Windows 8, and my OS language, which is also my native language, is Russian. So it's going to be hard to pinpoint some things.

I'm not aware of what changes were made to Windows service management in 10. So what I'm trying to do may well not be possible for you, or could require different steps to pull off.

Hm. Well, you could open the Task Manager. In Win8 you can launch it from the right-click menu of the taskbar. There's a Services tab in the Task Manager in Win8, not sure in 10. Click that to look at it. Sort the services by name (click the "Name" header), look for WTabletServicePro in the list, that's the Wacom Professional service that controls the tablet functions. You can right-click it and select Restart to restart it, that usually fixes conflicting configurations for me as long as the driver itself is intact.

If you find a "WinTab Service" or "WtSrv.exe" in the list, you can try restarting it as well.

Also you should check if other graphics software still works with your problematic computer/tablet. Try Krita, for instance - https://krita.org/en/
    It's smart enough to tell me there's configuration problems between my built-in tablet digitizer and my Intuos, so maybe it can provide some useful feedback for you as well. If something works differently/better, it might be a configuration problem with your Photoshop install rather than any sort of driver problem.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2017-11-08 at 12:25 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!