New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I like playing Fighter Z, but I know I keep getting too emotionally invested during online play, so when I lose I tend to be bitter about it, even though I like games with lot of fast-paced action. though I did have the most fun I've ever had with the game by playing all three Vegetas against people from weakest to strongest.
    I can understand that. Happens to me when I start to get the impression that I'm actually getting good at a game, then I run into someone who's playing like a madman and am so off-put by the weird things he's doing that I fail to adapt to them and wind up losing. No danger of that happening anytime soon in DBFZ though - I was expecting rust picking it back up again, but good heavens, it's obvious there's more than I thought there would be.

(Aside: So, by FighterZ logic, you were running them in the order of Blue Vegeta, base Vegeta, then SS Vegeta, I take it? Actually, conveniently enough that would probably be the best order to run them in, considering SS Vegeta is widely considered one of the best anchors in the game and base Vegeta wants you to build meter for him to spend before he comes in.)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Something as good as ME3, that I already own?
    Problem is, our psychic powers are on the fritz again and we therefore don't know what games you already own! When I'm in the situation of not knowing what to play next, I'll usually either not play anything for a few days to recharge my batteries, or just dump a list of all the games I have into a spreadsheet and pick one at random. I would definitely second rooster707's recommendation of Jade Empire, though, it's probably one of the best Bioware RPGs ever made, if you can ignore the vertically scrolling shoot-em-up sections they added for no readily apparent reason.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Something as good as ME3, that I already own?
    Then take a break.

I know that feeling of being unmotivated to play anything especially after a game. This often happens to me after a game that I particularly enjoyed (like any of the Mass Effect trilogy).
    If so, I don't force myself picking up a new game. I stopp gaming for some time, a week or two, but maybe even months. But then I come back with renewed vigour ready to enjoy the next game

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

Shattered Planet, it's a sci-fi rogue-lite
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #785
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Waiting Game, a tense nail-biting thriller where I check Amazon every day to see if my new computer has shipped yet.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I can understand that. Happens to me when I start to get the impression that I'm actually getting good at a game, then I run into someone who's playing like a madman and am so off-put by the weird things he's doing that I fail to adapt to them and wind up losing. No danger of that happening anytime soon in DBFZ though - I was expecting rust picking it back up again, but good heavens, it's obvious there's more than I thought there would be.

(Aside: So, by FighterZ logic, you were running them in the order of Blue Vegeta, base Vegeta, then SS Vegeta, I take it? Actually, conveniently enough that would probably be the best order to run them in, considering SS Vegeta is widely considered one of the best anchors in the game and base Vegeta wants you to build meter for him to spend before he comes in.)
    No I was being thematic and putting Blue Vegeta last, SS Vegeta middle and Base vegeta first. now you screwed it up with your logic.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

No I was being thematic and putting Blue Vegeta last, SS Vegeta middle and Base vegeta first. now you screwed it up with your logic.
    I know, I was joking about the discrepancy between the show's logic and how the game plays. Dragon Ball may consider Super Saiyan Blue to be the most powerful of those, but SSB Vegeta in FighterZ is widely considered one of the worst characters in the game, and it doesn't sound like the recent balance patch changed that. Meanwhile, SS Vegeta is one of the best, if mainly for his assist, and base Vegeta, while too new to judge for sure, has definite potential to be among the top 10 at least.

Funnily enough, Beerus and Hit are also among the worst in the game by most measures - Beerus often rated as the clear worst, especially now that Nappa got a good amount of buffs in the balance patch. If it weren't for Goku Black and Fused Zamasu being solid, Dragon Ball Super characters as a whole would look rather weak in FighterZ.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally gave No Man's Sky another look last night, now that it's finally got some more of those features it was supposed to have in the first place. In particular, being able to play multiplayer with friends makes a big difference.

It still has some of the same issues I had the first go around. I still feel like inventory capacity is way too small, and having to constantly refill resources for your mining laser and life support gets tedious really quickly. However, being able to build on planets is nice, even if it makes the game feel like Minecraft with better graphics but sharply limited options.

Having more going on in space and a little more variety between planets does a lot to make the universe feel legitimately bigger, but I think there's still a lot of room for improvement.

It's a pleasant diversion though, and will do nicely for when I get frustrated with other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Perhaps Temple of Elemental Evil?
    See, that game always plays as very slow and unfocused to me. Like, great implementation of the tabletop game, but after the Moathouse and Emiridy Meadows, there's too steep a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    See, my solution to this problem is usually just to buy something new. If you like BioWare, I’d suggest playing Jade Empire if you haven’t already. It is excellent.
    That requires money. I lost my job two months ago and it's pretty tight.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

My current run of Cookie Clicker was started a couple days ago. It's my first run with Krumblor unlocked!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I just had one of those wave fights in Banner Saga 3, and they're not like the things I remember in the first game--those didn't allow you to change your heroes out in between waves. Overall, I'm noticing that the second and third games seem rather easier than the first one--no idea if that was an intentional rebalance because the first game could be pretty hard at times, though.
    Yeah, I'm finding 3 a bit easy as well. The first one was harder, though then again, not punishingly so.

That requires money. I lost my job two months ago and it's pretty tight.
    Hmm. Perhaps a browser RPG or two with some good writing, then? Like Fallen London or Kingdom of Loathing? I know, old stuff, but, eh.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Hmm. Perhaps a browser RPG or two with some good writing, then? Like Fallen London or Kingdom of Loathing? I know, old stuff, but, eh.
    There's also Improbable Island, which is best described as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as a text based browser MMORPG. Its very silly, and quirky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Yeah, hating 2 seems to be the “cool” thing to do in the Dark Souls fandom, which I don’t really understand, since I friggin’ loved it. Can’t say whether it’s the best, since I haven’t played 3 yet, but I definitely liked it more than 1.
    I know the response is pretty late, but I didn't catch it before.

I don't "hate" DS2, I just consider it the worst of the bunch by a fair margin. And not just because it's "cool". You can dislike something even removed from what other people think.

The base game is incredibly boring, and where it isn't, it's badly designed. The bosses are samey, with like 80% of them just being giant armoured dudes, many enemies have either way too much or way too little tracking, leading to a very dodgy difficulty curve. The levels are put together shoddily, DS1 had a clearly interconnected world, and you could tell exactly where you were in relation to everything else. Transitions made sense. In 2, it seems like a mostly randomly arranged mess without any rhyme or reason. PvP is not worth harping on, since it was and still is terrible in all Soulsborne games.

The DLC is surprisingly amazing, on the other hand. Like, seriously, some of the best design and bosses in the entire franchise. But it's not worth slugging trough 30 hours of content that ranges from mediocre to outright bad, when compared to it's predecessor.
    FMA -Envy Avatar by Comissar!

14. - Top - End - #794
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I like playing Fighter Z, but I know I keep getting too emotionally invested during online play, so when I lose I tend to be bitter about it, even though I like games with lot of fast-paced action. though I did have the most fun I've ever had with the game by playing all three Vegetas against people from weakest to strongest.
    I've fallen into a DBFZ hole after EVO, and have gravitated to a team of Goku Black, Hit, and Goku (Super Sayian), while dabbling in Fused Zamasu. What's really helped it stick for me this time is having a sparring partner. I have a friend who's better than I am, but we play a few matches a week and test out what we've practiced in the training mode off and on.

I keep putting off just jumping into online matches though.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    I've fallen into a DBFZ hole after EVO, and have gravitated to a team of Goku Black, Hit, and Goku (Super Sayian), while dabbling in Fused Zamasu. What's really helped it stick for me this time is having a sparring partner. I have a friend who's better than I am, but we play a few matches a week and test out what we've practiced in the training mode off and on.

I keep putting off just jumping into online matches though.
    I unfortunately don't have any friends who share my interest in any fighting games other than Smash Brothers. So jumping into online matches is what I'm all about in these games.

Been continuing to play a little DBFZ the past couple of nights, and some of the rust is starting to come off. Playing against a couple of particularly strong opponents has helped there. I've still been doing Vegito, base Vegeta, SS Vegeta, and I'm really liking Vegito in particular, but rethinking the rest of the team. While I like base Vegeta's level 3 mix-up, I'm feeling more iffy about the rest of him, particularly his assist, and even for good old SS Vegeta I've been considering whether a beam assist would be preferable to his to support Vegito. I've played some Goku Black before and liked him, so I'd probably go with him as my beam assist of choice - just not sure whether to just slot him in for one of the Vegetas, or pick out another character and replace them both. Perhaps my old favorite, 18, except I've never been a fan of her assist, and really think Vegito should be a point character.

Maybe I could try to learn Gotenks. He goes well with Vegito thematically, has a great assist, and is supposedly actually one of the better characters in the game in general, much to my surprise. Haven't really used him before though.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

So a general game thread seems like a better place than a thread of its own...

Wondering if there are any good Android games that are actually multiplayer. Not just "select a friend you've never actually interacted with as one more monster." But where you're actively playing together. Played PAD, and the multiplayer dungeons and its ok but the game is getting old and the interaction with other players is fairly limited, can't even send messages to each other.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Dwarf in the Playground

I unfortunately don't have any friends who share my interest in any fighting games other than Smash Brothers. So jumping into online matches is what I'm all about in these games.
    I remember trying to get into Fighting Games, because the basic concept appeals to me so much. The first one I ever managed to claw open was Skullgirls, since it had a fairly extensive Tutorial that explained some of the more technical terms to me. It was still an uphill struggle.

After hours and hours I managed to weasel my way trough the Arcade Mode on Hard, and got to the point where I was not butting mashing anymore, and executing what felt like actual combos.

Then I went into Multiplayer, and was promptly roflstomped over and over, usually in a manner where it felt like I might as well put the controller down while being juggled. I never really tried it again, altough I played some Guilty Gear this week again, just in Single Player. It just feels like the ceiling for getting into any MP is so insanely high, that I would need to invest most of my week to ever get into it. Especially since I never found another game like Skullgirls that makes the initial process easier on the player.

In other unrelated News, I've been playing Tabletop Simulator again, Solo. All of the people I know that own the thing just play things like Poker, Secret H. and such. And I'm just sitting here on my worker placement/strategy/RPG games and have to search or invent solo variants to play with. In fairness, I was positively surprised how many games go through the effort of even making a solo variant, and sometimes even pretty good ones.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just finished the Banner Saga 3. Overall, I think the games are good, but there are a few major niggles that annoyed me somewhat:

1) The combat is neither deep nor interesting enough to be satisfying when you play all three games back to back--it's OK for a few hours, but not for the roughly 15-20 it takes to do all three. This is particularly so in the penultimate chapter, which seems to have more battles than the rest of the game put together!

2) The story concentrates too much on the macro while ignoring the micro. It doesn't give you enough reasons to care about the characters. True, there are a *lot* of characters here, but one of my main heroes dying should do more than just annoy me because of the wasted resources that went into building that character! It doesn't help that all character portraits always have the same expression, so the text at the bottom can be telling you that the person in the picture is spitting feathers, but their face has the same neutral expression they have at any other time...

3) While it may be true to life that you can't really tell ahead of time what's a good decision or not, it doesn't stop it being irritating when a seemingly innocuous statement in a conversation results in a third of your roster deserting!

Overall, they're still good games and the story is excellent, I'd really like to see more developed games set in this world.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stuebi View Post
    I remember trying to get into Fighting Games, because the basic concept appeals to me so much. The first one I ever managed to claw open was Skullgirls, since it had a fairly extensive Tutorial that explained some of the more technical terms to me. It was still an uphill struggle.

After hours and hours I managed to weasel my way trough the Arcade Mode on Hard, and got to the point where I was not butting mashing anymore, and executing what felt like actual combos.

Then I went into Multiplayer, and was promptly roflstomped over and over, usually in a manner where it felt like I might as well put the controller down while being juggled. I never really tried it again, altough I played some Guilty Gear this week again, just in Single Player. It just feels like the ceiling for getting into any MP is so insanely high, that I would need to invest most of my week to ever get into it. Especially since I never found another game like Skullgirls that makes the initial process easier on the player.
    Oh, it's certainly true that getting into the genre isn't easy. The best time by far to start with a fighting game is right when it's released - that's when the most people are playing it, and even the more experienced players are still figuring it out and getting accustomed to it, so it's when online play is at its most beginner-friendly. Jumping in at any other time though is entering a shark tank. With the exception of the select few most popular titles (Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat primarily), most of the more casual players stop playing fighting games within the first month after they come out, leaving the more dedicated intermediate and advanced players as the ones that are still on. That makes online play very rough on a newbie after the first couple of weeks that a fighting game is out. You really just sort of have to accept that you're going to lose a lot for a while and take the matches as a chance to learn and get your footing. Heck, as you saw with my remarks about how rusty I was/am in Dragon Ball, that happens even with experienced players. That's why it helps to play a game that you can genuinely enjoy even when you're losing badly.

And unfortunately, there's also really no one truly beginner-friendly fighting game out there. Various options tend to have their merits and drawbacks. Skullgirls for instance does have that truly great tutorial mode, because it's a game made by fighting game fans who honestly want to teach other players to get better at the game. Unfortunately, it also has drawbacks for that same reason - one of the games it's modeled on is Marvel vs Capcom 2, which is a very fast-paced game that is quite hard to play at a high level because of how crazy the mixups and combos become, and that's reflected in Skullgirls as well. Run into someone who knows that game well online and even a somewhat intermediate player who's familiar with the genre in general like myself won't stand a ghost of a chance, must less a newer player. Doesn't help that it also has a small roster and is kind of short on beginner-friendly characters - or at least it did when I played it, which was before the DLC characters were added. There was basically Fillia, maybe Cerebella if you were okay playing a grappler, and the rest tended to get more complicated fast.

You can get into that kind of analysis with pretty much any of them. Street Fighter 4 or 5? Not very good on tutorials, slower pace and greater emphasis on individual hits and short combos are probably better for beginners, but emphasis on links and the need for canceling to be done during the hit and not during recovery makes learning even short combos harder than in many other games. The game that I started with, BlazBlue? Good tutorials (though not as much so as Skullgirls), and chain-based mechanics and lenient cancel timing are helpful, but it's fast-paced, combos quickly get large, and the small roster in the original game I started with didn't contain a great selection of beginner friendly characters (though it was notably better off than Skullgirls in that regard). You can say similar things about BB Tag and Dragon Ball FighterZ these days, though the integration of auto-combos there, particularly in BB Tag, and the removal of more complex special move inputs in favor of just using quarter-circles and a few down + down moves are helpful to newcomers on a basic level, and they're certainly not lacking beginner-friendly characters.

In the end, it really comes down to if you find a game that inspires you to want to learn to do it beyond the very beginner level enough that you keep playing it despite whichever obstacles it has. If you do, great, you've got a new genre to enjoy in a new way. If you don't, playing fighting games outside of the casual arcade mode or the like may just not be for you.

(Also worth noting, playing single-player modes other than training mode generally doesn't help at all. There you're just learning to fight against the AI, which a very different beast from playing against another player, and could easily cause you to develop bad habits for online play that other players could exploit.)

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

I know the response is pretty late, but I didn't catch it before.

I don't "hate" DS2, I just consider it the worst of the bunch by a fair margin. And not just because it's "cool". You can dislike something even removed from what other people think.

The base game is incredibly boring, and where it isn't, it's badly designed. The bosses are samey, with like 80% of them just being giant armoured dudes, many enemies have either way too much or way too little tracking, leading to a very dodgy difficulty curve. The levels are put together shoddily, DS1 had a clearly interconnected world, and you could tell exactly where you were in relation to everything else. Transitions made sense. In 2, it seems like a mostly randomly arranged mess without any rhyme or reason. PvP is not worth harping on, since it was and still is terrible in all Soulsborne games.

The DLC is surprisingly amazing, on the other hand. Like, seriously, some of the best design and bosses in the entire franchise. But it's not worth slugging trough 30 hours of content that ranges from mediocre to outright bad, when compared to it's predecessor.
    The bosses are hands down the worst in the series, but as you note the DLC is the best, and I like most of the game's areas (with the notable exception of Shrine of Amana) a lot. It also has the biggest selection of weapons, with power stancing increasing build variety and 3/4 magic types being really good, as opposed to the other Souls games where magic is pretty much useless except 1's PVP.

You not liking PVP might impact your enjoyment, since it was legit good in 2. it's the only Souls game I actually enjoy PVP in; invading and getting invaded (by not twinks) is exciting and feels FAIR in ways 1 and 3 don't.

Plus it has the Bone Fists. Automatic +++ points.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-08-22 at 05:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just finished the Banner Saga 3. Overall, I think the games are good, but there are a few major niggles that annoyed me somewhat:

1) The combat is neither deep nor interesting enough to be satisfying when you play all three games back to back--it's OK for a few hours, but not for the roughly 15-20 it takes to do all three. This is particularly so in the penultimate chapter, which seems to have more battles than the rest of the game put together!

2) The story concentrates too much on the macro while ignoring the micro. It doesn't give you enough reasons to care about the characters. True, there are a *lot* of characters here, but one of my main heroes dying should do more than just annoy me because of the wasted resources that went into building that character! It doesn't help that all character portraits always have the same expression, so the text at the bottom can be telling you that the person in the picture is spitting feathers, but their face has the same neutral expression they have at any other time...

3) While it may be true to life that you can't really tell ahead of time what's a good decision or not, it doesn't stop it being irritating when a seemingly innocuous statement in a conversation results in a third of your roster deserting!

Overall, they're still good games and the story is excellent, I'd really like to see more developed games set in this world.
    I agree in the general sense, though my experience might have been a tad different:

1) I think the combat was among the interesting ones in the genre, but the pacing is definitely not meant for a full 3 game playthrough. When played in the "default" 8 hour intervals with some months (or year?) thrown between, it holds its magic better, I've found.

2) Partial agree. I don't think the game is bad in creating memorable characters. It's just that there are so many of them. It's like Game of Thrones. Since pacing has to be a thing, most secondary characters often have one or two moments in the spotlight, and then recede to be part of the background.

In general, though, I enjoyed the characters. I agree though that at least the main characters could have used a couple more expressions.

3) That, as we spoke earlier, I agree on. In a game of a certain style, that sort of vague options could be made to work, but here, when the focus seems to be on making the hard choices, the choices at least need to be clear enough for you to take the full responsibility of.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-08-23 at 03:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Dwarf in the Playground

-snip-
    I know it's mostly just a "Gotta hit that wall a couple times". But there inevitably comes a point for me where I feel like I'm not making noticeable steps anymore. For example, the first few hours felt like tons of progress in a short amount of time, learning combos, actually being aware of what you are pressing instead of randomly mashing, starting to weave specials into regular attacks and such. But after that, it's about learning to block right, and getting ALL of the combos down, which includes some of the ones that feel like they are 20 inputs long, getting increasingly complicated. The worst offender for me was King of Fighters, where some of the specials required something along the lines of 4 different controller spins, that just REFUSED to work no matter how many time I used them.

I might just install Guilty Gear or Blaz Blue on PC again. They actually have Rosters where I like most of the characters (Half of Street Fighters cast makes my eyes burrow themselves into my skull), with good music and just a general style that I quite like. I got pretty deep into Terumi once, because I adore his fighting style a lot. Might just give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The bosses are hands down the worst in the series, but as you note the DLC is the best, and I like most of the game's areas (with the notable exception of Shrine of Amana) a lot. It also has the biggest selection of weapons, with power stancing increasing build variety and 3/4 magic types being really good, as opposed to the other Souls games where magic is pretty much useless except 1's PVP.

You not liking PVP might impact your enjoyment, since it was legit good in 2. it's the only Souls game I actually enjoy PVP in; invading and getting invaded (by not twinks) is exciting and feels FAIR in ways 1 and 3 don't.

Plus it has the Bone Fists. Automatic +++ points.
    I dunno, I found magic pretty useful in PvE and bordelrine broken in PvP in most of the games. Except miracles after the big nerf in DS2. Weapon variety is also not really a point in the games favour, because a lot of them are just a different skin with the same moveset, and there are often clear cases of "Most superior weapon of it's type".

Far as PvP goes, this is a case of "Just totally m opnion maaaan". I feel like Souls PvP is utterly broken and actively detracts from the game. Not because I hate invasions mind you, but because they're chokeful of hackers and laggers. I can count "legit" pvp encounters in all of the soulsborne games on 2 or three hands. The rest was just people cheating, griefing, or lagging.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

I'm doing a NG+ run in Dark Souls Remastered and the first wall I've run into is Four Kings, weirdly enough. I tried to summon help a couple of times, but these players are all so terrible. They just keep dying during the first king and leave me alone to fight the rest with the increased HP for a two player fight.

At least they mostly do so little damage that you can almost ignore defense and don't dodge themselves. So I think I need to grind a bit to build the most ridiculously strong and unweildy weapon possible.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not normally one for the croptimization genre, but I'm seriously considering giving Stardew Valley multiplayer a try.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #805

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I'm doing a NG+ run in Dark Souls Remastered and the first wall I've run into is Four Kings, weirdly enough. I tried to summon help a couple of times, but these players are all so terrible. They just keep dying during the first king and leave me alone to fight the rest with the increased HP for a two player fight.

At least they mostly do so little damage that you can almost ignore defense and don't dodge themselves. So I think I need to grind a bit to build the most ridiculously strong and unweildy weapon possible.
    Power Within, Havel up and DPS race them. (Also remember they have sweet spot damage so if you're up in their face you can facetank harder).

I'm currently playing Hollow Knight now it's out on the Switch. It's the best of the "Do Dark Souls in 2D" genre, mostly because it doesn't stick too close to the Souls formula but does capture the feeling of getting progressively better in tough boss fights and preserving your Geo as you run back from fixed save locations, whilst being surrounded by atmosphere and lore ahead of plot.

Just getting to the point of doing the first ending, but there's a goodly chunk of stuff left after that that sounds like it's going to get harder and harder.

After that, Dead Cells and Iconoclasts. 2D action platform Metroid-em-ups are so in right now.

Also playing Age of Wonders 3. Haven't played an AoW game since the first one, but Planetfall looks fun so I'm getting myself used to them again.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2018-08-27 at 05:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    After that, Dead Cells and Iconoclasts. 2D action platform Metroid-em-ups are so in right now.

Also playing Age of Wonders 3. Haven't played an AoW game since the first one, but Planetfall looks fun so I'm getting myself used to them again.
    Yep, both of them are good. Iconoclasts has its moments of wonky writing, but, eh.

Also, make sure to get all the expansions if you're playing AoW3. Vanilla AoW3 is decidedly bland and boring, to be frank.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iconoclast really isn't all that Metroidvania, especially compared to Hollow Knight. Good friggin Boss Fights though, and the Story is surprisingly absorbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'm not normally one for the croptimization genre, but I'm seriously considering giving Stardew Valley multiplayer a try.
    It looks like it could be fun with a good friend. Although Stardew never struck me as something where Coop would get a lot of mileage.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like it could be fun with a good friend. Although Stardew never struck me as something where Coop would get a lot of mileage.
    Haven't played a lot of Stardew coop, but from what I have played, it lends itself quite nicely towards specialization (and shenanigans). One person can focus on the farming while another works on the mine and another on harvesting trees/fishing/whatever. Money is shared, so you need to coordinate your spending. However, on limited items at the peddler, its limited per player, so if you're wanting to stockpile rare seeds, make sure everyone stops by to get some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #809

Just picked up No Mans Sky out of the bargain bin. Am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was, then wasn't, then was about.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Been noodlin' in Endless Space 2. Certainly, this was a sight better than reviews led me to believe. Amplitude seemed to have fixed most of the glaring problems at least. (Save for the feeble AI, but that has been characteristic of their games since ever.)