New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

Nice thread idea!

Currently trying to get through...
    BG:EE (played the original long ago)
    Final Fantasy XV (beat the main game, doing optional stuff)
    FFX (PS4 version, just started)
    FFXII (PS4 version, just started)
    FFXV PSN brawler game
    River City Ransom Underground
    Momodora (the original: beat the PSN one recently)
    Tropia
    Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden
    Disgaea 5
    Another PSN game whose name I can't recall (it's a horror game, doesn't do a particularly good job of it though, seems to take place in your apartment building)
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Edit: Oh boy. This is an MMO, isn't it. I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into any more of those... but it's too late now...
    Not really ... simplistically said, its a Diablo clone with a more complex skill system and a slightly obtuse currency system

3. - Top - End - #93

Flumph

If you want a comically awesome but broken way to play the first Dark Souls, run through the catacombs to get the Great Scythe before you go to the Undead Burg. It's a ludicrous weapon that murders everything forever.

(Probably not on your first go though, the catacombs is not where fresh characters are supposed to go and you have to be pretty good at running away to get through)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I’m actually replaying the Pokémon series. With a randomizer.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Beyond Good and Evil.

I bought it a while ago, installed it yesterday and I absolutely love it (at least as far as I've played).

What an underappreciated game. I had seen it a long time ago in a review that was extolling it but I had dismissed it. Recently I found it again, remembered it and, after finding out that virtually everyone who had played it loved it, bought it.

Everyone was praising it so much, that I was actually a bit nervous that it couldn't possibly deliver and I'd get disappointed, but not only has it been delivering so far, it also managed to be something I wasn't expecting. People usually describe it as "like zelda" and I even watched a few gameplay videos, but I still wasn't expecting what I got (in a good way). Jade also turned out more fun as a character than I thought she would.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Beyond Good and Evil.

I bought it a while ago, installed it yesterday and I absolutely love it (at least as far as I've played).

What an underappreciated game. I had seen it a long time ago in a review that was extolling it but I had dismissed it. Recently I found it again, remembered it and, after finding out that virtually everyone who had played it loved it, bought it.

Everyone was praising it so much, that I was actually a bit nervous that it couldn't possibly deliver and I'd get disappointed, but not only has it been delivering so far, it also managed to be something I wasn't expecting. People usually describe it as "like zelda" and I even watched a few gameplay videos, but I still wasn't expecting what I got (in a good way). Jade also turned out more fun as a character than I thought she would.
    I had pretty much the same experience earlier this year. I had gotten it for free and I figured I might as well check it out, and bam! Turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played. (Be warned, though, the stealth is utterly atrocious. And there's a lot of it. Still an amazing game, though.)
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

That's one I never got, honestly. I played it some years ago (before I joined this forum even, IIRC) after seeing people praise it, but I remember being disappointed by it. Nothing about it stood out as particularly good, and to this day the most memorable part to me is how dumb the guards' AI is - losing track of you as soon as you round a corner, shooting a drone at a bunch of places you clearly aren't at, then turning off the energy barriers you can't pass through but they can as they head back to their posts. That part was pretty comical, actually, but I don't think that was intended.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Dark Souls for the third time. Just started Artorias for the first time.
    Last edited by Yora; 2017-12-21 at 07:40 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden
    Best writing in an old school jRPG ever.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Dark Souls for the third time. Just started Artorias for the first time.
    Ach, my heart

I love that storyline.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

11. - Top - End - #101

PirateGuy

Way too much Stardew Valley. Also fired up the new Pokemon Ultra Moon for before bed, and for RPGs, I finally decided to get around to System Shock 2. I've had Persona 5 on the backburner for a long time though. Should return to that one.

12. - Top - End - #102

Just finished River City Ransom: Underground. Plot took a turn for the worst at the end, but I liked the game overall.

Now... going to resume .hack//OUTBREAK (from like 2004) and finish up BG:EE.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heat Signature, at last. It’s pretty much everything I expected it to be. (Which is a good thing.)
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

On iphone:
    Duel Links
    Southpark Phone Destroyer
    Girls X Battle

On PS4:
    Southpark Fractured But Whole.
    Batman Telltale series.

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Heat Signature, at last. It’s pretty much everything I expected it to be. (Which is a good thing.)
    Heat Signature owns. It's a game I love to pick up and play for 10 minutes to an hour.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I just finished Pyre, and now I'm playing FFXIV. Waiting for Soul Calibur 6 + Dissidia NT.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

My life right now is split between Invisible Inc. and XCOM: Enemy Within.

Both are excellent.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Having gotten a Switch for the holidays, I've started playing Fire Emblem Warriors. It's pretty fun. I do wish that the roster wasn't 70% Awakening and Fates characters (the absence of Ike in particular is just weird), and that they hadn't lazily made several of them clones of each other, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Eager to unlock Lyn though, since she's the character I'm most looking forward to playing, but takes a while to get to.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Oblivion (TES4), iL*2 Sturmovik 1946, and online (KGS) go, all on PC.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-12-28 at 10:55 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Currently attempting a monotype run on Pokémon Blue. Electric types only, without the legendary. Had to start this team with 5 pikachu, then grind for quick attack before the 1st gym. They are slowly being replaced as other kinds are available. Playing on Blue means I do not have access to electabuzz, so the psychic TM is useless to me (unlike when I tried a fire monotype run). I have a new appreciation for voltorb's/electrode's sonic boom.

21. - Top - End - #111

PirateGuy

Just picked up Yakuza 0 and played through the first hour or so of it last night. The city is claustrophobic in a way, but was lively as all get out on the first night. Should be a fun complement to the other games I've got going on.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Picked up Darkest Dungeon and Final Fantasy Type-0 (both ps4) to hold me over until Monster Hunter World releases (in addition to WoW).

Only played about 20 mins of Type-0 and the controls are frustrating beyond measure. Will you just let me switch to the guy shooting me instead of trying to force me to harvest? Yeah, may not get too far into this one...
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

I just won a game of Thea: The Awakening. Took a solid 25 hours or so - and I really only half-beat it, since there's apparently a post game with a second "Save the World" quest. Only realized that was supposed to be mandatory when the post-game victory speech ended with, paraphrased, "Oh, you didn't do that thing, and now Thea is doomed after all. Whoops."

Summarized in one, it's a post-apocalyptic fantasy turn-based strategy game. You command a small human village that has managed to survive the centuries-spanning Darkness, and now that the sun has returned, you look outward, sending expeditions to gather coveted resources and to fight undead abominations and other such nonsense. (Can't be spoiling things!)

In many ways, the game reminds me of XCOM; your villagers are individually named characters with unique skills, loosely defined by their classes. They can be equipped like RPG characters usually can, with weapons, armor, tools and magic items. There's both a strategy layer (the world map) and a tactical layer (the "challenges", which can take many forms, though "Fight" is certainly the most used).

Everything is linked together in some way. You have to gather resources to keep your villagers warm and fed, but also to craft weapons, armor and tools. Weapons and armor enable you to send out expeditions to gather resources that your village doesn't provide, either by recovering it from ruins and such, or by gathering in the wild. Crafting items is also what fuels the Research system - and advancing down the various branches of the Research tree allows you to gather more advanced resources that make even better weapons and armor, as well as craft more advanced items (since in the beginning you can only craft tools, clothing and cooked meals), and constructing more advanced buildings that in turn make your village better, which helps your villagers become stronger. The rarer and better the materials that you use in crafting non-food items (and constructing buildings), the more Research points you gain.

Combat (and other "challenges", which play out in the same way) is not straightforward to learn. The shortest way of explaining it is that it's a card game, and the villagers are your cards. All their equipment and skills and traits ultimately determine how useful of a card they are. Part of the card game is that it randomly assigns your party to "Offense" and "Tactical" zones in each encounter, because you can't always control who is involved in the fighting and who isn't. If you have physically weak characters (like a healer or a craftsman) in the Offense pile during a Fight encounter, you have to take care how to use them so they don't get clobbered; if your big, burly Warrior types end up in the "Tactical" pile they can only show up to the melee late; but if they follow the Sword-and-Board style that the class is designed for, you can also have them use Shield Ally on a vulnerable party member.

Party members like Craftsmen are quite brainy types, so if the challenge is a SOCIAL or an INTELLECT challenge they suddenly become invaluable. Similar is true for witches and sages, who excel not just at SOCIAL and INTELLECT, but also HEX, or Hunters in HUNTING and SNEAK encounters. To some degree, though, you can steer most encounters into FIGHT territory in some way, which makes Warriors probably the best, at the very least the most straightforward assets to any expedition. However, Gatherers are also quite important, since the wilderness is the only place to find all the various rare resources that are located outside the seven hexes that your village reaches. Like in XCOM, the overall threat level of the world goes up over time, so you better keep up!

Also like in XCOM, your villagers can die permanently, and it's usually a blow, since you don't have many of them and can't be easily replaced. They don't die instantly upon going to 0 HP, but you better make camp immediately and hope they don't fail their saving throw.

Even food has interplays not just with the Crafting system (you can "craft" Cooked Meals out of basic ingredients) but also the strategy map and encounter system; a party that has access to a wide variety of foods gets various stat bonuses, chief among them bonuses to movement that allows it to travel faster. "Crafting" food (cooking, roasting, baking) also stretches your food stores; two units of Meat and two units of Herbs combine for eight units of Meat Stew. The food is Slavic themed, as are the names of the villagers, and the overall setting for that matter.

The game is extremely confident in its own replayability, since it locks a number of available Gods for you to play until you've reached level 3 with one God (which roughly equates to winning the game one time). I was ambivalent about that at first and I still am, but at the very least I do get the feeling I want to play it again. The map is procedurally generated, so you have no idea, really, which of the resources are easily available, and which research paths to pursue. You have to find out!

Well, that's the gist of it. The game is actually on 50% sale at this very moment. I wager that if you got to the end of this post, you'll either have a pretty good idea of whether you might like the game, or a very strong opinion on how I've been deliberately wasting your time. Either way, here's to a lovely 2018!
    Last edited by Silfir; 2017-12-30 at 07:28 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Darkfall New Dawn is a pretty solid MMO im playing beta of. Launches in a couple of weeks.

remake of DFO / DFUW if anyone played those?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kail11 View Post
    Darkfall New Dawn is a pretty solid MMO im playing beta of. Launches in a couple of weeks.

remake of DFO / DFUW if anyone played those?
    I remember DFO being decent enough. Might have to have a squizz once it comes out. Cheers for the heads up.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Only played about 20 mins of Type-0 and the controls are frustrating beyond measure. Will you just let me switch to the guy shooting me instead of trying to force me to harvest? Yeah, may not get too far into this one...
    The story looked pretty interesting for Final Fantasy Type-0, from what I caught of a "Let's Play" of it. Looked surprisingly good for a PSP game, too. There were some mechanics which were being exploited to to breeze through most of the game. I also think Nine might have Snow beat as my least favorite Final Fantasy character, but I did appreciate that Queen and others would call him on it.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm continuing to play Fire Emblem Warriors - completed the story mode, went into History Mode and started unlocking the remaining characters, including Lyn. I was a little worried, given the clone characters, that they might have gotten lazy and given her one of the other swordfighters' moves, but I'm very pleased to see that's not the case. She's every bit as awesome as I could've asked for, probably the fastest unmounted character in the game. I love the integration of the after-image duplicates of her that her original game used to indicate her speed during crits, it's a lot of fun seeing some of her moves show opponents getting cut up by three or four of her at once.

Though actually, it's got me thinking, it's pretty strange what the developers chose to get lazy on as far as clone characters go. The majority of the game's roster is sword-wielding characters, but almost none of them are clones - just Lucina taking Chrom's moves, and the two original characters nobody cares about being identical. And male and female Corrin, but they're literally the same character, so that makes sense. (Don't know if Celica or Anna are clones, I haven't unlocked them yet.) Meanwhile, the only spear-users in the game are three Pegasus Knights who all share the same moves, the only two archers are identical despite one of them originally being primarily a healer, and the mounted mage and mounted healer also share all the same moves. The only variation within a weapon set outside of the sword-wielders is among the three axe-wielders, but there one is on foot, one on horseback, and one is a Wyvern-rider who also uses magic, so they kind of had to be.

It's just weird - they can come up with so many different ways for characters to swing swords, but don't bother to do the same for most other weapon types.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Got a switch for Christmas, am stuck collecting Moons in Odyssey. I also started up a game of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, but then I realized I had made a wrong choice during game start (integrating the other DLC means I miss out on the special missions which I haven't done yet) and then my laptop died, so I'm going to start that over when I get the chance. I also got Mario + Rabbids, but aside from starting it I'm focusing on Odyssey for now.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not playing a game; I'm posting on a forum!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #120

Pit People, a wacky cartoony turn based rpg about a man whose son gets kidnapped by an enormous space-bear trickster god.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)