New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

Puzzles and Empires. Android game. Very light city builder and resource gathering, with a "connect three or more tiles to attack" style combat. It sounded really dumb, but is actually pretty fun to play. Glad I tried in the end.

I wish they wouldn't call these RPGs though. Story is really simplistic, and you can't affect anything or make any meaningful decisions. So there is no roleplaying here. Sure, you can level up minions, but that's it. They just gain bigger numbers, not even new abilities. (Except in chat! I've seen people rp a lot in chat, and there seems to be a lot of people playing, so if that's your thing...).

Playing for free aspect seems pretty fair, and is entirely possible all the way to end game, as far as I can tell.

4/5 so far
    Last edited by thirsting; 2018-01-02 at 04:37 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm not playing a game; I'm posting on a forum!
    Interesting. The only winning move is not to play.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    I wish they wouldn't call these RPGs though. Story is really simplistic, and you can't affect anything or make any meaningful decisions. So there is no roleplaying here. Sure, you can level up minions, but that's it. They just gain bigger numbers, not even new abilities. (Except in chat! I've seen people rp a lot in chat, and there seems to be a lot of people playing, so if that's your thing...).
    Having chat RP sounds deeper than Dragon Quest to me.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying Vaporum. It isn't on the Legend of Grimrock 2 level by any stretch, but it's playable. The lack of riddles is a pretty hard disadvantage, though.

4. - Top - End - #124

DwarfFighterGuy

Just finished The Sexy Brutale, which was a good puzzle game based around a mansion full of murder. Didn't quite live up to its potential, but it was still very fun and had a very enjoyable plot.

Now I'm getting sucked into Ark. Send help! (or metal, either or)

As an aside, take a look at Subnautica if you get the chance. You'll never find a more beautiful and enjoyable way to develop crippling thalassaphobia.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    Heat Signature owns. It's a game I love to pick up and play for 10 minutes to an hour.
    Glad I read this topic and checked this game out while it can be annoying it's also one of those games that just gives you great stories.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

When I've been able to use the sole TV in my apartment, I've been engrossed in Yakuaza 0. Otherwise, I've been playing Steamworld Dig 2 on the Switch, and Axiom Verge on PC (that is, until the Windows update broke my graphics card drivers again).

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Got back from break, so I can dig into the holiday sale loot.

Mafia III: Apparently if you want to make a well written game these days, you wrap it in mediocre open world third person cover shooter. Because this is a well written game wrapped in a mediocre open world third person cover shooter. The cover mechanics are tolerable, the guns are satisfyingly loud and deadly but pleasingly inaccurate, the AI understand what a flanking maneuver is, but mechanically this is just sort of there. Which is fine, the character stuff is right on, the voice acting is crazy good, and the setting so utterly novel for a videogame that I'm quite interested in getting some serious playtime in. Which, given my schedule this semester, will probably happen in about June.

Elex: Oh look, it's another Piranha Bytes Euro-RPG jankfest. Fortunately I love me some jank in games, it's so much more interesting when the entire game feels like the wheels could come off at any point. The environmental design is great, you get a jetpack right off the bat, the melee combat is decent enough to work but not complex enough to seem to require much thought, which is perfect for a game like this. The world takes a refreshingly dim view of the protagonist, who is also a tremendous jerk. Plus the setting feels cool and fresh, insofar as anything that feels like Leigh Brackett could have written it feels fresh. But it's unusual for games, so fresh for my purposes, and besides, 'feels like Leigh Brackett could have written it' is about the highest praise I can think of for this sort of thing.

Codex of Victory Take a simplified take on XCOM's overworld, but replace the tactical portion with a turn based strategy game that draws heavily on the old Massive Assault titles. That is, it's based on a very precisely defined set of units mostly distinguished not by special abilities or funky ways to break the rules, but by what stat they maximize out of a set of about five. So you've got your cheap cannon fodder thing (low cost), your tank (high durability), your artillery (long range, built of the finest military-spec tissue paper), and so on. The economy is both clever and ridiculously simple, with the same currency used to deploy and move units, and more only gained by seizing particular points on the map. It's not exactly great, but it's so right in my wheelhouse that I sort of love it, and the immensely refreshing emphasis on basic unit statistics instead of special ability gimmicks to drive the strategy feels downright revolutionary in this day and age.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Playing Dead Cells and BOTW Master Mode.
    Dead Cells is a "rogue-vania" sidescroller with permanent upgrades. You kill lots of enemies, fight bosses, collect runes to unlock levels, and find new weapons. It is a lot of fun, though recent updates have had an incredibly high barrier of entry. Boss cells are really fun to play with though.

You know what Breath of The Wild is so I won't describe it. BOTW Master Mode has really refreshing difficulty. I find myself using lots of combat tactics don't use in normal mode, such as cutting down watchposts, shooting an arrow to distract an enemy, running them down with my horse, and dropping chuchu jelly so I can explode it.

9. - Top - End - #129

Just started Dark Souls! I’m nowhere near as terrible at it as I was expecting. (Whether I’m actually good enough to finish it is another matter. We’ll see.)
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just got obsessed with Plague Inc. Darn fungus.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

underrail

indie diamond in the rough; might be my favorite game now
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

This weekend is the open beta for Dragon Ball FighterZ (PS4 and X-Box One only though, PC version not included for some reason), so I've started playing a little of that this morning. So far, having a good time. Since there's no training mode it takes a few matches of getting your butt kicked before you learn enough with whoever you're playing to really put up a fight, but it's worth it. Such a fun, satisfying fighting game. I've been running a team of Vegeta, Android 18, and Freeza so far - I figured I would probably play around with a few others before the beta is done, but without training mode it feels like I'll need lots of matches to try things with any given characters, so maybe I won't get to anyone else.

(One side note, the beta is only fully open to public tomorrow [Sunday], today is for people who pre-ordered only. Odd choice on their part, but there it is.)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #133

A Hat In Time, a retro-90's style* cartoony 3d platformer, which I'm really liking so far

*like, it kind of reminds me of Super Mario 64**, Gex: Enter the Gecko, and Ratchet and Clank 1

**Complete with unlockable magic hats
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-01-13 at 02:28 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    A Hat In Time, a retro-90's style* cartoony 3d platformer, which I'm really liking so far

*like, it kind of reminds me of Super Mario 64**, Gex: Enter the Gecko, and Ratchet and Clank 1

**Complete with unlockable magic hats
    It was inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, so yep, reminding you of other 3D platformers of that era makes sense.

I keep forgetting about that one. I need to pick it up now that the console versions are out.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #135

Faster Than Light, trying to unlock all the ships; Cuphead (why does it have to be so hard?!); Quest for Glory (best games ever).
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Depending on what kind of game you mean, here are my answers:

CARD/BOARD GAMES - Lords of Waterdeep, Zombicide, Resident Evil
    MMOs - Final Fantasy 14 & World of Warcraft
    VIDEO GAMES - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (currently doing the Champion's Ballad)
    TABLETOPS - Whitewolf (Werewolf the Apocolypse, 2nd Ed)
    ONLINE - Chronicles of Aether, Outbreak, Shadows of the Emerald City & City of Crosses

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Started playing Titanquest. It's not the most historically accurate thing but its still amusing. Graphics have held up nicely for the era, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Just got through the last day of the Dragon Ball FighterZ beta, and despite the servers being down basically all of Sunday, damn, did I love it. Even without training mode to figure out anything beyond the basics, just jumping in and playing matches with simple combos and setups was so damn satisfying and fun. I cannot wait for it to officially release a week and a half from now. Definitely starting with a team of 18/Vegeta/Freeza (18 with Vegeta's assist can get some great pressure going, and Freeza seems to be a strong anchor with Sparking Blast + Golden Freeza to supercharge him at the end), though I'll need to try some characters that weren't in the beta out too. And maybe take to the lab with some of the others that were - I kind of feel like I could like Beerus and Kid Buu, but they had enough oddities to them that it was hard to get the hang of them in the middle of real matches.

Regardless though, had a blast, can't wait. It's probably going to be hard for any games that come out later this year to top this one with me.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Currently playing Freedom Planet after finding someone playing it on a youtube channel. Holy crap I love this game and almost everything about it.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Just bought Axiom Verge for the Switch. It's real fun, and real challenging.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've been hitting Creeper World 3 hard lately and trying to get a bunch of the achievements in it(some of them are really obnoxious to get).

For those unfamiliar, Creeper World 3 is an RTS where you have to build up a base and defend against a dangerous goo-like liquid called "creeper". It's surprisingly simple yet enjoyable and has sort of a cult indie following.

The creator of the game(Which I believe is one person) also releases a free version online which tends to be like a prequel for the actual game that doubles as a nice little demo. They're actually really good in their own right...Albeit a little short for obvious reasons(they're demos)
    Creeper World (There's also another one Creeper World:Evermore that has a new procedural map every day)
    Creeper World 2
    Creeper World 3

(Also he's making a fourth one)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Got in some more time with Mafia III and Elex this weekend.

I like Mafia III, I just wish it wasn't so much of an open world game. I mean it's kinda cool getting to drive around and take in the sights, but the driving is sort of bad. Not terrible, but it's not particularly great, and there's way too much of it. Fast travel may become a necessity here, even though I usually avoid fast travel like the plague, because it just totally destroys any sense of place.

Elex is good, and clearly requires some time and commitment. I don't have either of those for a game right now unfortunately.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

I've peen replaying Hollow Knight, largely for the new Grimm Troupe content. The final boss of which is ridiculous.

24. - Top - End - #144

PirateGuy

FIFA 18 is my go to relaxing game, when I'm mentally dead and unable to enjoy Yakuza 0. Recently fired up Pokemon Ultra Moon to play in bed, along with Picross 3D 2.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

im playing Darksiders II and WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY
    Everyone watch any movies, TV Show and anime with multiple subtitles at http://moviesonline.ac

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

greatreplaying Hollow Knight, largely for the new Grimm Troupe content. The final boss of which is ridiculous.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Largely done with BotW's core game: I've got all the armours you can find upgraded, all Talos destroyed, all Hinox slain and all Molduga wiped clean. I've restored my memories, got all the dungeons completed and cleared every shrine. Still missing like 600 korok seeds though. Gonna let this hot one cool down before I buy the pass and go another round with Hyrule.

Mario Odyssey is on the backburner for now. I've got the Darker Side of the Moon left to complete then it's running cleanup in the various kingdoms to top off my moon count, so I'm saving it for when I'm tired or angry or in a bad mood and I just want some nice, happy cheerful platforming to do, with Jump Up Superstar blaring in the background (why more games don't have a jukebox mode like this still boggles me, it's a neat postgame feature).

Played the Dragon Warrior Builder demo. Oh gods it's Minecraft but with Dragon Warrior aesthetics. Unlike Minecraft, if you kill the dragon you get a Couch your DerDragonwarrior can sit on in his dirt hovel instead of a weird ending no one really understands. Also: Killing a Green Dragon with a wooden club is a long task and I accidentally built an apartment made of dirt in the starter town and walled it off. As I heard this game features farming of some sort, it will probably be my crack.

I've been playing Mobius Final Fantasy in between my proper gaming since... what August? I was a day one player, but my poor phone couldn't handle it and kept crashing. When Squeenix emailed me about the anniversary it had a steam download version which I installed. The game kept my attention but a mix of "well what now?" single player endgame, Multiplayer being a joke thanks to how common it is to have a Supreme Card user (be they new players or rerollers) drop into your party and kill the boss before you can even act (thus turning MP into a funless material grind) and the Tower challenges are riddled with hackers dominating the leaderboards. It's still very much an OK time waster though and the massive volume of sass the MC has can be really funny at times, especially when NPCs are trying to rush him towards the ever prominent prophesy... which while he'll agree to do it, he is determined to get to it at his own pace, NPCs be darned.

Finally, I am currently enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is impossible to stock in my city. Best Buy, EBGames (Canada's Gamestop) and even The Source cannot hold any copies since pre-Christmas, so I had to make use of that SD card I bought for the Switch and buy it from the online store. 13GB download. Still in the early game, chapter 2, largely due to me just mucking about with the game and seeing what I can do. But it's a game that's scratching the JRPG itch i've had for a while now, hilarious voice acting and all. Still trying to get a hang of the various mechanics in the game, but the party seems to be rather customizable early on and will only grow as the game progresses. Also the pathing in this game is hilarious at times, with Pyra just jumping off the edge of the world repeatedly.

28. - Top - End - #148

Flumph

Current rotation is Demons Souls, Forza 7, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Nier Automata.

In no particular order depending on what I feel like.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My Pokémon Generation I electric monotype challenge is complete. I have never used sonicboom and seismic toss so much in my entire life. Going to fool around with HeartGold.

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    Played the Dragon Warrior Builder demo. Oh gods it's Minecraft but with Dragon Warrior aesthetics. Unlike Minecraft, if you kill the dragon you get a Couch your DerDragonwarrior can sit on in his dirt hovel instead of a weird ending no one really understands. Also: Killing a Green Dragon with a wooden club is a long task and I accidentally built an apartment made of dirt in the starter town and walled it off. As I heard this game features farming of some sort, it will probably be my crack.
    Finally, I am currently enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is impossible to stock in my city. Best Buy, EBGames (Canada's Gamestop) and even The Source cannot hold any copies since pre-Christmas, so I had to make use of that SD card I bought for the Switch and buy it from the online store.
    I will see your invoking of DerDragonwarrior and raise you a question: does your EBGames have TurboGrafx games?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing a variety of games.

Main focus is Wargame: Red Dragon, mainly for my youtube channel. I also do Planetside 2 on the weekends with the outfit I joined (Also record the sessions for editing later). I use to play a lot of stellaris but I've stopped for now since they are going to massively revamp the entire game and I'm just waiting for when they do. I've moved on a bit to Oxygen Not Included and currently testing the strategies for the optimal build. Play a bit of Heroes and Overwatch and even less Steel Division since I just got it. Also looking into They Are Billions as a fun game if I can squeeze in here and there.

As you probably come to the correct conclusion, I play a lot of games.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28