Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Climbing the Tower of Babel: Surrealist/Magic-Realist 3.5 Dungeon Crawl

Have you ever been drawn to the fantasy of a painting by Dali or Escher, a game like Monument Valley, or a work of fiction like The Tower of Babel or 100 Years of Solitude? Separate from the High Fantasy of Tolkein and the Low Fantasy of fairy tales lies a third genre: the imaginative, mind-bending surrealist and magic-realist fantasies of the 20th century.
    A group of adventurers will dream their way to a dungeon-space beyond their wildest imagination. While their purpose is unknown, they will have to work together to survive, thrive, and seek escape from or success within a labyrinthine setting. Set pieces will include enigmatic libraries, halls of mirrors, stairways to infinity, secret doors, alters to forgotten gods, and more, along with occasional peaceful contact with sentient denizens. Conceptual inspiration will draw from the work of Borges, Echo, Marquez, Kafka, and Murakami, as well as other surrealists and magical-realists and world folklore and mythology.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: The Big 16+
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    -D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    -The style of play is Dungeon Exploration. Characters should come from a reasonably “classic” D&D setting, but one that resembles earth somewhat more closely than usual. In addition to the gods and goddesses of Dungeons and Dragons, characters may have at least basic familiarity with beings from world mythology (think Greek/Egyptian/Norse gods, the monotheistic traditions, buddhism, Shinto, etc), which co-exist in their world. So, if you want, feel free to play a Cleric of Odin, Heironus and Azrael.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    -I am looking for 4-6 players. In case anyone has to leave, for whatever reason, I will also make a file of “on-deck” alternate players who can join if a spot opens up, in the order in which I am given their completed character sheets. I am also looking for an artist or two interested in creating drawings, sketches, etc. of some fantastical scenery on occasion. Artists may or may not be players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    -The game will take place here in the OOTS Forums, play-by-post. I’ll provide a battle map.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    -1st level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    -300 GP, in any combination of coins or gear

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    -The following classes are allowed: Barbarian, Bard, Rogue, Paladin, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer, Binder, Shadowcaster, Truenamer (you can talk to me about a class fix), Warlock, Warmage, Favored Soul, Swashbuckler, Hexblade, Samurai, Wilder, Psychic Warrior, Soulknife, Erudite (no Dragon Magazine content, conservative reading of UPPD).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    -Base races in the Player’s Handbook only.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    -32point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    -Alignments are in use. Don’t role-play them stupidly, keep them descriptive rather than proscriptive. You may be of any good or neutral alignment. Evil characters require permission, and must play nice with the party, but will generally be OK if done reasonably.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules with regard to it?
    -Multiclassing will be freely allowed, but the game starts at level 1

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    -At the start of the combat, I will roll initiative to keep things moving. Most other rolls will be made by players, unless I specify otherwise.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    -Anyone who wants to play a Truenamer should talk to me about some sort of a class fix. Don’t be cheesy. I would prefer if nobody drastically overshadowed the rest of the party. That said, in lieu of hard bans, I would prefer to discuss things out of character. Criticals are automatically confirmed. Forms of magic pertinent to the cosmology (including some divinations, long range teleportation, resurrection, attempts at planar travel, and some summonings and callings) may function differently or not at all; you can consider yourselves in a restricted demiplane.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    -A short (one or two paragraphs) background will suffice. If you join, you will also need to provide a short (one paragraph or a few lines) description of a dream your character has, culminating with entering some mysterious location; this will be the start of the game.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    -We’ll see how it goes. Most likely a mix of roleplaying, puzzle solving, combat, and exploration.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    -Everyone has access to content in the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and content from their choice of ONE of the following: Complete Arcane, Complete Warrior, Tome of Magic, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Divine.

Beyond the Big 16:
    -Posting Time: I would like this to be a fairly committed game. You should commit to a minimum of one post per day or two in situations such as combat where an action would be expected. In such a situation, if two+ days go by with no post, you will either delay your turn (if applicable) or take whatever basic, minimal action could be reasonably expected to move the game along. If anyone is consistently missing posts, it will be handled out of character—this may not be the best group for you. If you are going to be away for some reason or need some time off, that’s fine, just give the group a heads-up so it can be planned around. The game will most likely begin in December.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing the Tower of Babel: Surrealist/Magic-Realist 3.5 Dungeon Crawl

Here's me expressing interest; I like the sound of this! Not sure what I'd like to play yet though, so I'll need to mull over the options...

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Climbing the Tower of Babel: Surrealist/Magic-Realist 3.5 Dungeon Crawl

Happycube,

No worries. Mull over some options. Even if a group forms fairly quickly, this will probably wait about three weeks to start.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Endless to say this is extremely interesting, are real world locations in force or just religions?

I'm interested to see how you add the surrealism in this style of game, considering putting forward a warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #5

Jbe, I'm interested, too, as I havnt done a game much like this before. But I have DM'd a fair bit. I think I will start with a small, detailed location based strongly off of a few choice sources, and allow inspiration to go from there.

I don't intend to make a screwy world where you can't reliably interact with anything "because surrealism" ruins everything to DM fiat. Instead, like any other fantastical setting, I'd mostly like to create rules for the way a magical swing works, and allow you to interact intelligently but in character within it.

Warlock sounds great.

Hmm, real world locations. Well, they won't be present in actual gameplay. In terms of the world characters come from, let's say that, like deities, the world has a mix of fantasy and real world location names that correspond to a greater or lesser degree. So if you want to worship some gods who live on Olympus, or fight the goblins of the Russian Steppes, or live in fear of the Great Dragon under the city of Paris, or be a samurai or aristocrat from Kyoto. Keep it close to the real world or loosely inspired by it. If it's too crazy or if two players have conflicting accounts of geography, I'll adjudicate as needed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to roll up a guy for this. Bard, rogue ... maybe a psi warrior. Maybe the psibarian I have lying about because the game I made him for never really got underway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sould bool. I think I will try playing Ehloras Favored Soul. There for I will moust likly choose a Complete Divine as my extra book. (it has some extra spells for favorite soul right?)
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

8. - Top - End - #8

Greenflame,

This may sound dumb, but what is Ehloras?

To everyone,
    I'm glad to see interest accruing. I was tentatively going to get things started in a couple weeks, but once I have enough sheets submitted for a group, if people can/want to start early, I may be able to.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ehlonna,
    Tho I'm not sure how other gods would compare. I especially interested in Hades, since originally he was just a manager of underground. NN or LN rather than evil. Than again moust of Greek gods done some in despicable things.

Besides him I may consider some spirits from other Chinese or Japanese mitologii

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I'd like to roll up a guy for this. Bard, rogue ... maybe a psi warrior. Maybe the psibarian I have lying about because the game I made him for never really got underway.
    Admittedly, I'm in pretty much in the same boat regarding Psychic Warrior; working on one for a game recently got me really interested in seeing the class in action. Either that or a Wilder, but I think I'm definitely gonna be picking the Expanded Psionics Handbook as my supplement!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    I especially interested in Hades, since originally he was just a manager of underground. NN or LN rather than evil. Than again moust of Greek gods done some in despicable things.
    For what it's worth, Deities and Demigods places him at neutral evil.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's a shame. What about Asian stuff?

12. - Top - End - #12

In this universe, Clerics of Hades may be LN, N, LE, or NE. That said, if you're looking for a law/death intersection, Wee Jas is a LN death goddess with a lot of interesting lore, so you could consider her instead/in addition. Chinese and Japanese mythology is also fine.

Looks like there will be some psionics, then! If you overlap, don't worry about it too much. Also, if people really want psionic stuff, I would also be OK with a Psychic Rogue as listed online, counting as coming from the EPH.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    That's a shame. What about Asian stuff?
    It's only got the Olympian, Pharaonic and Asgardian pantheons, alongside the core D&D gods and a few briefly-described religions. Neat stuff though.

'Til now I've pretty much exclusively played with the core gods, so it'll be interesting to see a more diverse cast in play.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Humm, I would have to look in detail into mitologii as I'm only familiar with only few figures and most of them aren't spirits. I would generally like to try find someone who would have a shriek as it's favorite weapon.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm very, very interested in this. At work right now, but I'll see what I can come up with once I am home.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I look over Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition Index – Deiti on kindredcircle.org (I had hard time getting my hands on deities and demigods). It lised Mystra and Tymora as favoring shurikens. Tho looking at exact machanicks of shurikens I'm worried I may end up being underowerd. I also found two gods I liked, Zoser favoring Spiked Chain and Lastai favoring Grappling Pole.

Other 3 that incried me
    Shar - Chakram (espessaly if it can be thrown)
    Valkur - Cutlass (only becouse it's so versatile)
    Mephistopheles - Ranseur

anyways, I'm not sure where to look for info on all this weapons and if said god would be permited

Edit: I fould info about Spiked Chain and Chakram. They both look very nice to use, also Zoser sounds like an awsome deitie
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2017-11-10 at 12:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Sounds good so far. Glad to see building interest.

I would caution against choosing Mephistopheles for the weapon. I'd prefer non-evil characters unless there is a compelling reason, and he's an archdevil.

I'm not fixed on "canonical" assignments for real world deities based on how D&D books have typed them, but they're a good guide. We'll find what makes sense. Usually there's grey area.

I don't know much about Chinese mythology. For Japanese mythology, I can help. If you want to go hardcore, look into the Kojiki. Some other interesting mythological figures to maybe read the wiki page on would be Inari (trickster fox luck illusion transformation god), Kannon (mercy, but overall very broad ranging and powerful, sometimes war), Susanō, Amaterasu, and Dragons. But the way shinto works, there are tons of small scale local spirits of just about everything, particularly natural/elemental.

Feel free to start posting first drafts of character sheets; it looks like we're going to have a group! I will make the final selection based mostly on order submitted.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I look around. I feel like Tsukyomi(god of the moon) would make a great Deity. I would porbly try making an elv who went nocturnal as a way of pleasing said god. Willding a heavy shield in one hand and Kyoketsu-Shoge in the other

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Oh man, this looks really neat, and would finally give me an excuse to finally roll a sorcerer for a pbp game.
    I'm not actually a cat, nor did a cat convince me to make this signature.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I already made a sheet. Hopfuly everything is ok, if so I will get to making bio soon

Quote Originally Posted by Archer the Cat View Post
    Oh man, this looks really neat, and would finally give me an excuse to finally roll a sorcerer for a pbp game.
    why would you need an excuse?
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2017-11-11 at 03:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Every other game I played in either didn't need or couldn't have a sorcerer, but when dealing with surrealism and magic... sorcerer all the way
    I'm not actually a cat, nor did a cat convince me to make this signature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would you allow the fixes suggested by the creator of Shadowcaster?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...aster-Handbook

They are spoilered in the first part of that thread.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

23. - Top - End - #23

Greenflame,

Looked over your sheet. Mostly looks good, but a few qualms:
    -I assume your Kyoketsu-Shoge is supposed to be the weapon of Tsukuyomi. Is it one handed, two handed or light?
    -You need a holy symbol. Eschew Materials, unless I am wrong, doesn't get you out of needing a focus. I'm not sure that feat helps you.
    -You should only have one feet. You don't get flaws, as they are not in the Players Handbook.
    -I think you have spent four extra skill points. Also, keep in mind, I will not be using Rules-as-written Diplomacy, although I will try to fairly adjudicate social bonuses with it.
    -Your speed should be only 15 feet, as you are carrying a medium load. If you can lighten it by a pound, though, you should be good to go at 20 ft.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kvard, yes, that fix is fine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure,
    I got everything fixed.
    Yes, I think Kyoketsu-Shoge is good Tsukyomi and fit into a Light weapon category.
    Holy symbol is used by Clarics to turn undead and since Favorite Soul doesn't do thay she shouldn't need one.

26. - Top - End - #26

A holy symbol is also a Favored Soul's Divine Focus, without which you can't cast spells with a DF component.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh yes. There are few spell that will need that. Guess it wouldn't hurt to carry a wooden symbol. I just added it

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Would you allow Psicrystal Affinity to advance the psicrystal of psionic classes other than psion or wilder? As written, it only does so for those two, though the intent seems clear to have something analogous to the Obtain Familiar feat for arcane casters.

29. - Top - End - #29

Happycube, maybe this is because I'm working off of the SRD, but I don't see anything about psions and wilders only. It just says you get a psycrystal if you take psycrystal affinity.

Also, Greenflame, could you post the stats you are using for a Kyoketsu-shoge? I'm not comfortable with a homebrew martial weapon that's significantly better than every other weapon. It kind of looks like you want a light, martial, 1d8 damage (for medium characters), 18-20 crit, throwable weapon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meijn View Post
    Happycube, maybe this is because I'm working off of the SRD, but I don't see anything about psions and wilders only. It just says you get a psycrystal if you take psycrystal affinity.
    That note is actually hidden in the monster entry for psicrystals, though I'm basically just asking you to disregard its appearance there and go with the already-thorough rules given elsewhere