New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Wilder Fix/Rework?

Wasn't sure if this would go in homebrew design, and my google-fu has failed me so: Does anyone have (or played) a (homebrew) wilder fix? I was looking at the wilder as my first psionic (yeah, have had the book, for a while, haven't used the system yet though) character as it appeared to be interesting, but upon reading and thinking about it it seems rather... weak (lame?). Thanks!
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wilder Fix/Rework?

If I remember it allows to go over the manifesting cap which allows to have nice astral constructs earlier.
    Last edited by noob; 2017-11-08 at 11:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Give it powers known as the Ardent, and have Psychic Enervation leave you staggered for a round instead of dazed, and base the pp loss on the amount surged for instead of your Wilder level. Boom, playable.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    If I remember it allows to go over the manifesting cap which allows to have nice astral constructs earlier.
    At the possible cost of losing actions...
    Give it powers known as the Ardent, and have Psychic Enervation leave you staggered for a round instead of dazed, and base the pp loss on the amount surged for instead of your Wilder level. Boom, playable.
    You know, that would probably work, thanks!

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Wilder Fix/Rework?

While I understand the desire to rescue the Wilder, have you considered just playing a Psion/Anarchic Initiate?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    While I understand the desire to rescue the Wilder, have you considered just playing a Psion/Anarchic Initiate?
    This is worth considering. Wilder is a bit odd as a base class - it's the sort of thing that might be a PrC in 3.5 or an archetype in PF.

Not trying to discourage you, mind. Grod's solution will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, planning a gestalt with cha to pretty much everything due to paladin + other stuff, so wilder fits best and I like the falvor... although anarchic initiate looks nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    This is worth considering. Wilder is a bit odd as a base class - it's the sort of thing that might be a PrC in 3.5 or an archetype in PF.

Not trying to discourage you, mind. Grod's solution will work fine.
    Hmm, I'll keep it in mind...

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Wild Surge gives you a bonus of 1d4-1 (no planning for you).

Wild Surge can't be used again until 1d4 rounds have passed.

Remove all negative consequences. Retain Euphoria, it's cool.

Give them more powers known, like perhaps write new Wilder-themed Mantles, and each Wilder gets to pick one Mantle. They get all the powers. So you have 11 of whatever you want, and 7-10 powers from a package.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Wilder Fix/Rework?

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, planning a gestalt with cha to pretty much everything due to paladin + other stuff, so wilder fits best and I like the falvor... although anarchic initiate looks nice...
    Homebrew solution:
    Feat:
    Charismatic Psion
    [Psionic]
    Chose a manifesting class. You can use your charisma score to calculate the powers you can learn, bonus power points, your power's saves, etc. instead of the usual ability score(s) designated by the manifesting class.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2017-11-09 at 01:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Try the Pathfinder Wilder - good surges to avoid losing your actions are Student, Artificer and Efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Homebrew solution:
    Feat:
    Charismatic Psion
    [Psionic]
    Chose a manifesting class. You can use your charisma score to calculate the powers you can learn, bonus power points, your power's saves, etc. instead of the usual ability score(s) designated by the manifesting class.
    That would probably work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Try the Pathfinder Wilder - good surges to avoid losing your actions are Student, Artificer and Efficient.
    I'll give it a look, thanks!

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

That would probably work.
    Or just allow any one of the three stats with no feat; they've all got great side-benefits and potential synergies.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Or just allow any one of the three stats with no feat; they've all got great side-benefits and potential synergies.
    Not my game, otherwise I wouldn't mind . My DM (IRL game) dais homebrew was fine, which is why I was looking for a better one, so it looks like I'll be stuck with either the feat or converting the PF one back to 3.5

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Not my game, otherwise I wouldn't mind . My DM (IRL game) dais homebrew was fine, which is why I was looking for a better one, so it looks like I'll be stuck with either the feat or converting the PF one back to 3.5
    You want homebrew? I give you homebrew!

Psion Variant: Wilder
    Not all Psions derive their powers from intense study and meditation. Some simply are, their surging emotions heavily laden with psionic energies. These natural manifesters are known as Wilders.

Class Skills: A Wilder loses all Knowledges other than Knowledge (Psionics) as class skills. They gain Bluff and Intimidate as class skills. Additionally, Seer Wilders gain all Knowledge skills.

Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard Psion class features, except as noted below.

Manifesting: A Wilder uses Charisma in place of Intelligence to determine the highest level power they can manifest, bonus power points per day, and save DCs.

Overchannel: At first level, a Wilder gains Overchannel as a bonus feat. This replaces the normal bonus feat Psions gain at first level.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-11-09 at 01:35 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below.

Manifesting: A Wilder uses Charisma in place of Intelligence to determine the highest level power they can manifest, bonus power points per day, and save DCs.
    Since they're bards, wouldn't the highest power level be zero?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

biggrin Re: Wilder Fix/Rework?

You want homebrew? I give you homebrew!

Psion Variant: Wilder
    Not all Psions derive their powers from intense study and meditation. Some simply are, their surging emotions heavily laden with psionic energies. These natural manifesters are known as Wilders.

Class Skills: A Wilder loses all Knowledges other than Knowledge (Psionics) as class skills. They gain Bluff and Intimidate as class skills. Additionally, Seer Wilders gain all Knowledge skills.

Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below.

Overchannel: At first level, a Wilder gains Overchannel as a bonus feat. This replaces the normal bonus feat Psions gain at first level.
    Thanks so much! <3
    Going to use this for it, now, time to build a psion.
    ...oh, one thing. for class features did you mean all the standard psion class features?

EDIT: Swordage'd
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-09 at 10:37 AM.

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Shh, is a secret!

But overall, glad you like it.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-11-09 at 01:36 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show