Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Worm 2 is on the way

Spoiler: Daybreak 1.3
    Show
    So, Victoria still has her powers.
    And tries to resolve the situation without escalating things.

It even works.
    Unfortunatly some dude explodes into a cloud of mind-controlling bits.
    (That I get to write a sentence like that says a lot about the Worm-verse. And Wildbow's stories in general.)
    And then the real attack starts with a truck at ramming speed.

From the way this went it seems the actual threat isn't the mob, but another group of para-humans.
    Considering the delightful Master-power that was just demonstrated that will get ugly.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Daybreak 1.5
    Show
    What is it with the Worm-verse and superpowers straight out of horror movies?
    First the Undersiders, then the Nine, now these clowns...

Nursery's... „nursery” definitely takes the cake so far.
    Well, in Ward at least.
    Can't blame Vicky for running when the babies started to wake.
    In fact, I doubt I would have made it that far into that pocket dimension.

Also, pushing a parahumans fear/panic/trauma buttons is a bad idea even in the best cases.
    With Vicky?
    Yeah, this will be ugly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Daybreak 1.6
    Show
    Something odd I noticed in the most recent update: Victoria/Glory Girl was part of New Wave, whose whole thing was not having secret identities. So how is it that this Landon guy is familiar enough with capes to recognize her as Glory Girl by seeing her using her powers, but not familiar enough with capes to recognize her as Glory Girl based on her name and appearance?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Spoiler: Daybreak 1.6
    Show
    Something odd I noticed in the most recent update: Victoria/Glory Girl was part of New Wave, whose whole thing was not having secret identities. So how is it that this Landon guy is familiar enough with capes to recognize her as Glory Girl by seeing her using her powers, but not familiar enough with capes to recognize her as Glory Girl based on her name and appearance?
    Spoiler: 1.6
    Show
    Presumably he was aware of her powers in a more general sense, plus he was under the impression she had died during the S9 incident so he was unlikely to make that connection.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Man, I'm loving how straight up cool some of these characters' powers are. Starting out with an awesome parahuman brawl like this is definitely making me excited.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Daybreak 1.7-1.8
    Show
    Well, that was that.
    Vicky's out of a job, Carol is still a great mom and the forcefield is still blob-shaped.

On the plus side Yamada.

I can understand that Carol wants her family to be family again, but this was easily the second worst way to do this. Maybe third.
    Oh well, all parahumans being messed up in some way isn't exactly news at this point...

How did people in the comments put it?
    Vicky needs her own Undersiders?
    I think I agree with this.
    In the „people she can trust” sense, not the „villain team” sense.

Fortunately Mrs. Yamada makes things a bit better.
    Just by showing up.
    Are we sure she isn't a parahuman?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Spoiler: Daybreak 1.7-1.8
    Show
    Well, that was that.
    Vicky's out of a job, Carol is still a great mom and the forcefield is still blob-shaped.

On the plus side Yamada.

I can understand that Carol wants her family to be family again, but this was easily the second worst way to do this. Maybe third.
    Oh well, all parahumans being messed up in some way isn't exactly news at this point...

How did people in the comments put it?
    Vicky needs her own Undersiders?
    I think I agree with this.
    In the „people she can trust” sense, not the „villain team” sense.

Fortunately Mrs. Yamada makes things a bit better.
    Just by showing up.
    Are we sure she isn't a parahuman?
    Spoiler: Daybreak 1.8
    Show
    The blob-shaped forcefield ... another reason to be reluctant about using her powers. Also explains a weirdness in 1.7, were she swings her arm at Amy while walking and it rips up the ground. She had her stretched forcefield activated.

To me, Yamada seems almost too good. Always completely understanding with her patients, always finding the right words, even when Glaistig Uaine threatens her with death. Her composure definitely seems superhuman.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Show
    The blob-shaped forcefield ... another reason to be reluctant about using her powers. Also explains a weirdness in 1.7, were she swings her arm at Amy while walking and it rips up the ground. She had her stretched forcefield activated.

To me, Yamada seems almost too good. Always completely understanding with her patients, always finding the right words, even when Glaistig Uaine threatens her with death. Her composure definitely seems superhuman.
    Show
    Which is why I joked about her being a parahuman.

The only problem with that theory is that she's too... healthy to be a parahuman- even a Cauldron-Cape.
    [size=1]Well, that and a few other points. Such as her being a PRT therapist in the first place. Or that she isn't particularly conflict driven.

Although appearing this... normal might very well be part of her power...
    Nah. There's no way something like that wouldn't have come out in the worst way possible.

Let's just hope the anti-Cape mutters won't see her as a „valid“ target anyway.
    A large number of parahumans on the warpath cause their therapist was killed is not a pleasant thought.

Edit

Spoiler: Daybreak Interlude 1
    Show
    Well, that was interesting.
    A Villain Alliance in the making, lots of names; old* and new...
    Tattletale seems to have been LoL's mission control.
    Also, they really seem to have had a noble-ish goal behind that attack.

And Nursery is even more messed up than I first thought.
    Whether she's crazy or saying the thruth.

Snag and the clawed lady seem to be Trigger-mates. If they're connected to of5 that might not bode well for the latter.

*Looks like Biter doesn't hench for Rachel anymore.
    And the bibliophile snowtops might be Damsel (One of them at least. Maybe we will get more), according to the comments.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-05 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Flare 2.1
    Show
    Well, so much for getting on a team.
    Lets hope Vicky has more luck next time.

But she definitely made the right choice messing with those Fallen recruiters.
    What a shame that those guys are still around.
    Oh well, cockroaches survive everything I guess...
    Insulting as that comparison might be.
    To the roaches.

And Team Foureyes might want to reconsider their emblem.
    We don't want people to make fun of them now, do we?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Flare 2.1
    Show
    Well, so much for getting on a team.
    Lets hope Vicky has more luck next time.

But she definitely made the right choice messing with those Fallen recruiters.
    What a shame that those guys are still around.
    Oh well, cockroaches survive everything I guess...
    Insulting as that comparison might be.
    To the roaches.

And Team Foureyes might want to reconsider their emblem.
    We don't want people to make fun of them now, do we?
    Spoiler
    Show
    This serial continues to impress me. Vicky just can't win, but she goes down swinging. As smart, prepared, and powerful as she is, she's also badly damaged. I like the 'new' her, and how sympathetic and introspective she is. Glory Girl was a bit of a monster; Vicky is a professional.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This serial continues to impress me. Vicky just can't win, but she goes down swinging. As smart, prepared, and powerful as she is, she's also badly damaged. I like the 'new' her, and how sympathetic and introspective she is. Glory Girl was a bit of a monster; Vicky is a professional.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have never grasped why people thought Glory Girl was a monster. The worst thing she ever did was get rough with suspects. Yea, not someone to look up too but in a world like this one we see some real monsters and she doesn't even qualify for an internship there. Heck, Taylor was more of a monster then she was. Last time I checked Vicky never shot an infant.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have never grasped why people thought Glory Girl was a monster. The worst thing she ever did was get rough with suspects. Yea, not someone to look up too but in a world like this one we see some real monsters and she doesn't even qualify for an internship there. Heck, Taylor was more of a monster then she was. Last time I checked Vicky never shot an infant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly for lack of opportunity I think.
    That and she'd totally have used a dumpster.

Besides, that kid was clearly up to no good.
    Hanging out with the S9 and all.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-11 at 01:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victory crippled a man becuase he was rude to her.(by throwing a dumpster at him while he was limping away) Heroes and law enforcement officers are supposed to be better than that, especially when they're strong enough to benchpress a cement truck. She also enlisted the help of her sister to essentially psychologically torture the man into giving up information and not pressing excessive force charges. All of that is kind of illegal.

It is confirmed in this same chapter that she has done this exact same thing five times prior and that she never learns her lesson about excessive force.

Taylor killing Aster, on the other hand, was a Mercy kill to prevent a sadistic serial killer from torturing said infant. Choice between killing a baby and letting somebody else make it wish it was dead? No brainer.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty much in agreement with Rater202 on all points.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That said, Taylor, especially as Khepri, is quite the monster herself. The Golden Morning pretty much pushed the situation past the Godzilla Threshold, and Alexandria tricked her into thinking she'd killed all of her friends, so she was still very sympathetic.

Worm 2 has the makings of a redemption story, and so has incredible potential. I expect Wildbow to make Vicky earn it, or else make a heck of a good read out of her failing.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2017-12-11 at 05:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I sorta disagree

Spoiler
    Show
    Glory Girl did do some bad things, and was sorta abusive as a cop, yes. But on the other hand, she's a teenager who can depend on her sister to undo her mistakes. It's not a surprise she's reckless and entitled. Her family is also very rich, so there's that as well. She didn't even have a trigger event to smack some sense into her, considering how mild her event was.

But she certainly stood up and did her best against the real monsters. And at her worst she was a bit of a bully. It's not like she was Shadow Stalker who was fully willing to murder strangers for ultimately mild reasons. She did her best to be a hero, but considering that she wasn't really trained, was pretty entitled, had a safety net, and honestly some pretty crappy parents, it's not a surprise she wasn't the best hero. It also didn't help that the heroes in general were kinda crap. So it's not like she had a lot of good examples to look at.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Eh, I sorta disagree

Spoiler
    Show
    Glory Girl did do some bad things, and was sorta abusive as a cop, yes. But on the other hand, she's a teenager who can depend on her sister to undo her mistakes. It's not a surprise she's reckless and entitled. Her family is also very rich, so there's that as well. She didn't even have a trigger event to smack some sense into her, considering how mild her event was.

But she certainly stood up and did her best against the real monsters. And at her worst she was a bit of a bully. It's not like she was Shadow Stalker who was fully willing to murder strangers for ultimately mild reasons. She did her best to be a hero, but considering that she wasn't really trained, was pretty entitled, had a safety net, and honestly some pretty crappy parents, it's not a surprise she wasn't the best hero. It also didn't help that the heroes in general were kinda crap. So it's not like she had a lot of good examples to look at.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose it boils down to how you interpret the dumpster throwing. Given Panacea's disgust, it looks to be beyond merely abusive and well into life-threatening.

I'm not sure how her sister's presence makes her less monstrous. If anything, it makes it easier for her to be terrible because she can avoid the consequences of her violence.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Flare 2.2
    Show
    Good Simon books?
    Are we sure that Twig is a separate universe?

Either that or they consider the Lambs'- and more importantly Sy's -antics suitable reading for kids in this verse.
    Not sure which thought is worse.

But it's nice to see Vicky doing hero work.
    I'm sure the kids appreciated the distraction.
    I just hope the girl with the „messy” power will be fine.
    Considering Casey and the Trigger(s) in Rachel's epilogue I'm kinda worried.
    Also, those mysterious invitations by Tempera and Yamada are very suspicious timing-wise.

A shame about that Hero Team though.
    Lets hope Apple Girl gets back on her feet again with the hero stuff.

And of course Tempera and Crystal-Clear got poached by the Teams that declined Vicky.
    Altough I guess the walking Jewellery will fit just fine with the Foureyes guys, going by his powers.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose it boils down to how you interpret the dumpster throwing. Given Panacea's disgust, it looks to be beyond merely abusive and well into life-threatening.

I'm not sure how her sister's presence makes her less monstrous. If anything, it makes it easier for her to be terrible because she can avoid the consequences of her violence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I interpret as a reckless action that certainly goes too far, but it's something that Glory Girl does because she knows Panacea will fix her mistakes.

It's not that Panacea makes her less monstrous but more. I think that if Panacea wasn't there, then Glory Girl would have made a mistake,
    and actually learned from it, and become a better person as a result. And likely it wouldn't have been as bad of a mistake. But since Panacea was there, Glory Girl never got that experience until she was mutated into a monster.

Basically people act a lot more reckless when they know there won't be consequences for their actions. Glory Girl didn't want to hurt that guy, not in that manner anyways, but she knew she could take the chance that she would because Panacea would clean up after her.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Show
    Good Simon books?
    Are we sure that Twig is a separate universe?

Either that or they consider the Lambs'- and more importantly Sy's -antics suitable reading for kids in this verse.
    Not sure which thought is worse.

Show
    Wildbow's stories all contain shoutouts or cameos or whatever you want to call them to his other works. For example the 'Maggie Holt' book series is mentioned in Worm, some dime store novels in Twig retell parts of Pact.

Wildbows comment on the question if his stories shared a multiverse was "Sure, why not? But they won’t show up."

Last edited by Iruka; 2017-12-13 at 03:32 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Wildbow's stories all contain shoutouts or cameos or whatever you want to call them to his other works. For example the 'Maggie Holt' book series is mentioned in Worm, some dime store novels in Twig retell parts of Pact.

Wildbows comment on the question if his stories shared a multiverse was "Sure, why not? But they won’t show up."

Spoiler: Wrom 1 spoilers
    Show
    The entity mentions that it selected a specific range of Earths that were all similar to each other and locked off the rest for being too divergent for the early parts of the experiment. So it makes sense both that there are some seriously off kilter earths out there that we will also never see since that block seems pretty solid.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

annoyed Re: Worm 2 is on the way

Show

Spoiler: Wildbow multiverse
    Show
    Oh, I'm aware.
    Still, the thought that there's either enough contact between the Worm/Ward verse and Twig's that some Academy propaganda passed over or the bloody mess that is the Twig verse is considered appropriate for little kids was both too funny and too creepy to pass.
    Doubly so since it's a picture book.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Flare 2.3
    Show
    The flirting...
    Go get a room kids.

And Shortcut is a jerk.
    Kinda hope he gets cut short.
    I mean, there's no reason to react like that to their interaction in 1.1.

Also, I had my doubts about the situation being resolved peacefully from the start, but that broken Trigger makes that pretty much impossible.
    Worse than my first thought.
    I expected some Cape with Master/Trump powers.
    Controling people and granting powers to or useing them through their marionettes.

Still worried about that girl...
    Lets hope her buddy didn't make a mistake by going to the Wardens.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In a world where feelings of stress, powerlessness, and isolation can spontaneously give rise to super-powered and often unhinged individuals, you'd think that entrenched powers would learn a bit about de-escalation. Then again, maybe they're trying to get more supers?

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    In a world where feelings of stress, powerlessness, and isolation can spontaneously give rise to super-powered and often unhinged individuals, you'd think that entrenched powers would learn a bit about de-escalation. Then again, maybe they're trying to get more supers?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shards like it when their hosts run head first into conflict.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't be Worm-verse if people started acting sensibly.

Spoiler: Flare 2.4
    Show
    Well, isn't that a fine mess...
    Microwaved ice-cream is just wrong.

And that Broken Trigger was horrifying.
    Literally nailing the hosts in place like butterflies...
    Some kind of space-manipulation/anchoring theme I would guess.
    Plus some space-folding considering the fractal/Origami effect.

Was the one in the epilogue chapter this bad too?
    I seem to recall there were survivors.
    Or at least less victims.
    That's on the situation though.

The worst part is that Jessica Yamada made a mistake.
    Now that is a chilling thought.
    So, the next chapter deals with a new S-class threat, I guess?

At least the random girl with the scary Trigger is fine.
    And has a name. Hunter.
    In any other universe that would grant her some safety.
    There I expect her to bite it before the next arc.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't be Worm-verse if people started acting sensibly.

Spoiler: Flare 2.4
    Show
    Well, isn't that a fine mess...
    Microwaved ice-cream is just wrong.

And that Broken Trigger was horrifying.
    Literally nailing the hosts in place like butterflies...
    Some kind of space-manipulation/anchoring theme I would guess.
    Plus some space-folding considering the fractal/Origami effect.

Was the one in the epilogue chapter this bad too?
    I seem to recall there were survivors.
    Or at least less victims.
    That's on the situation though.

The worst part is that Jessica Yamada made a mistake.
    Now that is a chilling thought.
    So, the next chapter deals with a new S-class threat, I guess?

At least the random girl with the scary Trigger is fine.
    And has a name. Hunter.
    In any other universe that would grant her some safety.
    There I expect her to bite it before the next arc.
    Spoiler: Wild speculation
    Show
    People being held to the spot, melting into the ground, bodies acting together -- this almost sounds like a nascent worm trying to form itself from the trigger victims.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Wild speculation
    Show
    People being held to the spot, melting into the ground, bodies acting together -- this almost sounds like a nascent worm trying to form itself from the trigger victims.
    Thank you very much for that thought.
    Not like I need to sleep tonight or anything.

Fortunately the guys in charge didn't think of this.
    The general area would be very welldone, Bakuda-bombed toast.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-19 at 05:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Flare 2.5
    Show
    And we have our chat-group.
    So they met over the therapy group?
    Yep. Mrs. Yamada definitely messed up there.

A(shley) is a Damsel clone. The most disturbing part of this is that I'm not sure if those are the worst News about the Team.
    Well, at least Sveta is cute. Kinda want to hug her.
    As potententialy self-harming that impulse might be...

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Was expecting Riley.

Am disappoint.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Flare 2.6
    Show
    Predictably Vicky is part of the new team now. Sorta.
    These guys are so going to crash and burn...

Also, could Tristan/Byron have put a hit on his twin?

And the whole two people one body thing...
    Could Circus be a Case 70?
    If I recall correctly they were female in costume and male out of costume.
    That seems to fit Tristan's description of his their own situation.

Spoiler: Flare 2.7
    Show
    The description of Tristan and Byron switching makes my Circus was a C70 somewhat more likely I think.

The best solution to being so spread out might be to get some base to live in, like the Undersiders had.

And good thing Rain has a friend outside the group.
    Or not, considering his situation and the changed circumstances...

But it seems Lisa hasn't changed one bit...
    Insulting Vicky, taking over a town...

Unfortunately the context is not looking very good.
    I'm pretty sure this will end very badly.
    For both sides of the conflict...

Glory Girl taking the kids to war against Tattletale and company won't help things either.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2018-01-01 at 12:14 PM.