New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [IC] Nature will gradually erase...

"By the stars..." Darach whispers reverently. "This place... a construction of the gods!" For the moment he seems awestruck, not moving closer to the Sanctuary, simply standing agape. He falls to one knee and begins muttering a prayer under his breath.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalus and Hastur both look on with awe at the buildings and bricks around them. Daedalus hurriedly pats his belongings for paper that is unceremoniously passed into his hands by Hastur. The summoner begins taking notes and sketching with near glee on his features, trying to commit the structure to paper. Hastur continues to support the other half-elf of the party, not wanting to abandon the duty to sight see.
    Places like this... buildings like this... haven't been created in thousands of years... probably even more! And within a stone's throw of a town, completely undiscovered and pristine... this is something of a miracle. He kisses the butterfly symbol hanging around his neck as he continues to gape at each new part of the scenery that catches his eye.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jarome hesitates, torn between his burning curiosity for the secrets of the holy place, and Mallow's obvious concern and desire to see his companion. Turning to their female Wyrwood guide, he attempts a compromise with her.

"We thank you for your hospitality and the care you have shown for our companion. That you would guard him in your sacred place is a great honor and a sign of your generosity. While it is ungrateful to ask for more, would you be willing to let his companion, Mallow, and myself visit him? Between us, we should be able to finish aiding the healing you have begun."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[26]

If his request fails, he'll pass his wand to Mallow to let him visit Corrin.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wyrwood glance at one another after Jarome's request. There is an odd whirring sound that goes between them, sounding like something between wind whispering between trees and the soft turning of metal gears. Finally, the male steps forward, and gives a nod. "We will allow it on this one occasion," he says. "If you will, of course, show the respect the inner temple deserves. This will be allowed."
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As much as Darach would love to see the inner temple, he knows it would be unwise to press for more. He rises to his feet, wonder still in his eyes. "Who built this place?" he asked instead. "How long have you been here? Were you created when people still walked with the gods?" He winces a bit internally, hoping he hasn't pushed too far, but once he started the questions simply began tumbling out. "Forgive me. As an adherent of Theandrios, the possibility that this place existed when he still walked this world..."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira joins the others in marveling at the shiny building. So the tales were a lot closer to truth than anyone had thought - and so close, too. Then the wyrwood and the others start talking about healing and she remembers, with a dull pain but a small grin..."Hey, I'm hurt too. Save some of that wand for me, okay?"
    Last edited by theasl; 2018-01-18 at 09:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach shakes himself. "My apologies," he tells Mercuira. "Since it looks like I will not need to save a spell to potentially save Corrin's life..."

Show
    Going to use one of my shiny new Cure Moderate Wounds!

Mercuira gets (2d8+4)[15] hp back.

-----

8. - Top - End - #308

Jarome smiles at Mercuira after Darach provides his healing spell "Once we've seen to Corrin, I'll help patch up any remaining wounds. We shouldn't get into such fights every day, or we'll need to find someone soon who can help craft another wand of healing."

He turns to the Weirwoods and bows his head. "I promise I will treat your holy place with all respect and care." he says seriously.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

I will happily wait here. Your hospitality is to be commended. I'll be sketching if anyone needs me. That and resting up so I can heal Hastur come morning.
    Unless someone wished to heal me now. I do not heal over time like you creatures of flesh and blood. In this, I am more like our hosts, it seems. Hastur had pulled a large red apple from his pack and was happily crunching away at it, despite the fact that the glutton also didn't have to eat.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

The male nods to Jarome and Mallow, indicating that they follow. As they walk, he speaks. "You may refer to me as Keeper. That is what the Voonith call me. It seems easier to remember than my numerical designation." They're not quite out of earshot yet, and the two other wyrwood perk up a little bit.

"Ah, yes. Please forgive this error on our part. It is customary to introduce ourselves upon meeting you, is it not?"
    the female asks. "I am Reference. The other is Silent," she says, nodding to the third construct among the group. "Our Fourth is Scenario. He is quite good in emergencies, and so he took your friend," she explains. She then turns to the rest of the party as Jarome and Mallow leave earshot.

Specifically, she turns to Darach.

"Your questions indicate you are someone with a keen interest in the area of religion," she says. "Unfortunately, there is not much I can tell you of that. I was designed for scientific purposes, while the Creators themselves tended the temple. Since their departure from this place, we have maintained it, until such a time as their return. You are not they, but as kin of them, you are most welcome here." She pauses after this monologue, and there is whirring between herself and Silent again, before Reference continues. "As for the questions of yours that I can answer... we are both ancient and new. We were built by the Creators, and it is their magic that binds us. But our physical material is of this world, and thus is prone to decay. We rebuild ourselves anew every three years, on the longest night when Hubal's influence is the most powerful. The God of Eternity helps preserve the magic of old as we add new pieces to ourselves. The magic is from near three thousand years ago. But our visible components are much newer. We can, of course, remember a time which this temple was active. The Resurrectory - which is the place in the temple we tend to most carefully since the Growth - is devoted to Hubal, but the greater temple holds items of tribute to many of the Gods. By my records, however, there is no reference to Theandrios in this place. We ourselves are tributes to the one the Creators called Shams, and we were designed to help unravel His mysteries."

Farther down the hall, Jarome and Mallow are being led by Keeper. Unless questions are asked of him, he mostly stays silent - he does, however, get the occasional "how much farther?" from Mallow, to which he responds "just a bit." He leads down a set of stairs which spiral into the temple, moving underground. The only light is from those strange glass tubes and their gelatinous contents which, now that they're not in the sun's glare, clearly emit a reddish light. Without the benefits of low-light vision, Jarome struggles a little in the dim lighting, but Mallow picks up on this after just a few moments and takes the bard by the hand to lead him after the wyrwood. Finally, the narrow passage opens up into a room where the human can see a bit better, since the walls in their entirety are glass, and there is more of the light to see by. It seems the group has walked into the middle of some sort of tank, which consists not only of the walls, but a curved ceiling, as well. Indistinct forms - clearly humanoid, but nothing really more distinguishable than that - float overhead, encased in semi-translucent bubbles. Keeper goes to the far end of the room, where another of his kind is waiting. Presumably, this is Scenario. They have one of their whirred conversations before Scenario faces the back wall and lifts his hand - a panel made of light appears from nowhere, casting a bright blue glow in the otherwise red room. He presses a few buttons and there is a movement in the gel overhead, until one cocoon is pulled down beside the group. There are red stains on the interior, and closer up, it's easier to make out the rough size and shape of Corrin.

"If you will come forward and place your hand here,"
    Keeper instructs, looking back at Jarome and Mallow. "Doing so signs over the summoner's welfare to you. You will be responsible for ensuring from the point he exits the Lifehold that he is cared for." Mallow, looking a bit confounded by the entire setup and how it works, nonetheless nods and moves forward. Before the tiefling can sign the waiver, however, Keeper gives one last warning. "He will exit the Lifehold in the same condition which he entered. This system only preserves him in a state of stasis. He will require immediate attention for his wounds," he says. Mallow swallows thickly, and looks to Jarome.

"Are you ready?"

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach looks around in silence, taking in his surroundings. Of course, it had been too much to hope for that Theandrios himself would have been here. But still... "Three thousand years..." he whispers reverently. "This place... is it not amazing? Hastur, now that we are safe I do not feel the need to reserve spells for an emergency. I can tend to your wounds. Taicho, Daedalus, were you injured in the fighting?"

Show

CMW for Hastur: (2d8+4)[9]
    CLW for Taicho or Daedalus, if they're injured, for me if they aren't (y'all don't have current HP on your sheets so I don't know): (1d8+4)[6]

Knowledge (religion) on Shams: (1d20+8)[26]
    Lore roll to see if he (or the wyrwood, or something similar) is mentioned in any church rituals: (1d20+6)[13]

-----

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira feels her wounds finally close up fully as Jarome and the tiefling head off into the structure. "Thank you, Darach. Well...I guess we just wait here now?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    back up to max! thanks!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

I remain uninjured, as of yet. Daedalus doesn't look up from his work, continuing to hurriedly sketch.
    That is because I am such a mighty protector, little one! It is not so hard to keep you out of trouble when you insist on sitting back with your crossbow and not facing the enemy head on! Hastur laughs and flexes his newly healed muscles while Daedalus shoots him a venomous look.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #314

Jarome nods his readiness to Mallow, flicking his wrist to drop his wand of healing into his hand. Before using it though, he begins to sing softly, a temple hymn to Basamum that has stuck with him since his earliest days. The music awakens his magic, and he prepares to transform it into healing energy for their wounded companion as whatever artifact holds him in stasis releases him back into the world.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Jarome will cast Cure Light Wounds up to three times before swapping over to the wand as needed.

CLW #1 - (1d8+5)[12]
    CLW #2 - (1d8+5)[13]
    CLW #3 - (1d8+5)[13]

*edit* Welp, the dice roller approves of healing Corrin, that's for sure!
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2018-01-22 at 03:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

When Jarome indicates that he's ready, Mallow places his hand on the light panel. The cocoon holding Corrin floats forward, then, phasing through the glass and almost seeming to unzip in front of Jarome. The summoner is bruised and battered, his left leg and arm are sitting at an odd angle, and there are cuts all over his body. He falls forward onto the bard - there's a thin layer of mucus on him from his stay in stasis, but that is largely inconsequential. Mallow rushes over to Corrin's side as Jarome sets to work healing. The broken bones mend themselves first, and the worst of the cuts fade away. There are still some bruises, but Corrin looks relatively intact, now. Mallow still seems concerned.
    "When will he wake?" he asks the wyrwood, reaching forward to take Corrin into his own arms, lifting him with a light grunt. Keeper steps forward.
    "He should regain consciousness in the morning," he reports. Mallow nods, then looks to Jarome.
    "Thank you. Thank you ever so much..."

16. - Top - End - #316

Jarome gives Mallow a smile and a pat on the shoulder. "I'm glad to have been able to help. It looks like he responded very well to the magic, but I agree with Keeper, injuries like that need some time to recover from, magic or no."

With Mallow holding his friend, Jarome tucks his wand back into the wrist sheath before pulling a stone from his pouch. He tosses it into the air with a flick of his wrist, and it immediately starts orbiting his head, shedding light so he can navigate without stumbling in the gloom. Now that he can see properly, he makes sure to drink in any and all details of the structure around him as Keeper leads them back. For his own curiosity... and he's fairly certain that Darach will be grilling him later.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Mallow smiles once more at Jarome before looking to Keeper and Scenario. The two step forward, then, Scenario going ahead and exiting the room while Keeper lingers behind. "Follow me," he says. "I will take you back to the others."
    On the way out, with Jarome's Ioun Torch glowing, it is much easier for the human to see the intricate carvings on the metal walls - or at least to tell that they're there. When the group steps out into the hallway, made of mithril, the light shed from the torch actually makes it a bit blinding for a moment as it is reflected around the corridor. But after everyone's eyes have adjusted, it's plain to see murals on the walls. Depicted in the silver-blue glow are symbols everywhere of hourglasses, the phases of the moon, and murals of the night sky. Closer to the surface, however, the theme changes, instead to something unfamiliar - gigantic triangular vessels seeming to fly in the heavens, and the image of a beautiful woman with large eyes and a benevolent smile looking down on them. Her hands are outstretched, and in her palms are more hourglasses - the one in her right hand is tilted on its side, while the one in her left is standing up, but encased in an orb. There is writing along the walls here and there, but in a language Jarome does not know.

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks for the Bard!
    Show
    Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    DC 10: Everything with the hourglasses screams of Hubal, as they are strong indicators of time. And it doesn't take a huge logical leap to understand why the deity of timelessness would be represented on the way to a stasis chamber.
    DC 25: The woman is some sort of goddess, clearly, and holding what is perhaps two different aspects of Hubal in her hands? It's sort of unclear as to her identity or why Hubal should be represented twice, and the depiction in her left hand isn't exactly fitting for Hubal, either. But it is similar to the orbs that the wyrwood have in their chests, so perhaps it is a reference instead to the one they referred to as Shams.

Spoiler: Engineering
    Show
    DC 15: The triangular vessels are definitely vehicles of some sort, most likely used to travel in the heavens judging on what the mural is trying to show.

Spoiler: Linguistics
    Show
    DC 10: The unfamiliar writing is in Celestial.

Once back to the surface, the two male wyrwood lead on to a different chamber, near the entryway where the others are still milling about. Keeper pauses for a moment there, to tell the entire group that he will be showing them where they may rest. Then he goes to the chamber, which is a room not unlike an inn, with the number of beds there. They don't look entirely comfortable - stone slabs, inlaid with mithril designs, with thick and broad leaves piled on top - but it's certainly better than nothing.
    "Here you may sleep for the evening," Keeper says. "You may also visit the courtyard garden of the temple. From this room, it is down the right corridor, take the first left, and you will be there. There is a spring there where you can drink or bathe if you have need. Though it is best if you do so before night draws in fully."
    As he says this, the late hour becomes more obvious. The sun, though perhaps not fully set, has disappeared under the trees, and a blanket of evening violet is drawing across the sky.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

A bath! I have not enjoyed a good bath for quite some time now! Daedalus, come with me and we can wash each other's back to ensure for maximum cleanliness! Unless one of you would prefer to wash either of our backs. I find it to quite the relaxing communal exercise! Hastur is obviously excited by the prospect, but Daedalus shoots his a glare. I'm sure our companions would prefer to take turns in the bath, Hastur. And I believe you had one at the inn when last we slept there.... But I have been wounded since then and would prefer to clean off! The genie sounded something like a petulant child being denied a treat. You bleed sand, Hastur! Sand that disappears as soon as it leaves your body! But still... I could use one, and you know I can't stop you from doing so. Plus I am rather parched... FINE, we will go. AND if anyone wishes to join us they can feel free! In my homeland, water is as rare as gold, so it is to be enjoyed wherever it is found. And what is better than sharing a luxury with friends! The two of them stand to gather their belongings, and Hastur looks eagerly to the others for anyone who would want to make it a group bath.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach nods deeply to the Wyrwood. "Thank you, your hospitality is most kind." He takes a moment to see how Corrin is doing, though between Jarome and the Wyrwood he is completely confident the summoner will be fine. "I will visit the spring as well, if you do not mind. I have not bathed properly since I set out from my temple. Although," he turns to Jarome, "I would like to hear what the inner sanctum is like when we return. Unless you plan on joining us?" Darach rolls out his bedroll on the rough bed and removes his armor, stretching appreciatively at the lack of encumbrance and waiting for the others to head off to the spring.

-----

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"I'm fine, you all go ahead." Mercuira is understandably hesitant to bathe with the others, and she's used to the dirt anyways. She instead stretches out on one of the...slabs, wondering what other magic she can perform now.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    just noticed how this is almost entirely a party of the...cylindrical packed meat variety
    Last edited by theasl; 2018-01-23 at 02:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Goblin

I will wait my turn. Though cleaning out my feathers sounds quite nice. Taicho stands a bit awkwardly. Not sure what to say after that. I think after that I would like to see more of this place. It is incredible. Turning to face the Wyrwoods. If that would be allowed somehow. He manages to get out quickly if a bit sheepishly. Pleasantries had never come easy for Taicho.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

"Certainly," Keeper says to Taicho. "Though many things down below are not safe for outsiders to visit, and the creatures of the forest frequent these grounds at night. But anything on the upper floors, feel free to tour. Just let it be at your own peril when the moon rises."

23. - Top - End - #323

Jarome joins the others heading for the spring to bath, selecting a bed and dropping his gear there. On the way to the spring, he relates what he learned from looking at the murals on the way back from the stasis chamber. "It's a beautifully crafted place, and the Wyrwoods have tended to everything with excellent care. I can't read it, but all the writing is Celestial. If one of you can read it, perhaps we can ask to read it more closely. Otherwise, maybe I'll find a dictionary or someone who still knows the language to learn from. From what the murals show, the route to the stasis chamber is decorated with designs to Hubal and another figure. Maybe she was an important figure to this temple? It also depicts the vehicles our ancestors flew in across the Void to reach this world, triangular ships for sailing the heavens." He sighs and shakes his head. "There is so much I'd like to ask the Wyrwoods about, but I'm uncertain about what might be considered taboo subjects, and after they have done so much for Corrin, I don't want to test their patience."

Show
    Yeah, we're a bit of a beefcake party this time around.
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2018-01-24 at 10:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach listens with rapt attention as Jarome describes the interior of the sanctuary, occasionally asking for detail or clarification. "Fascinating... I for one cannot read the Celestial tongue, I've never had much skill for languages. But there are several in my temple who can. Perhaps the Wyrwood would be willing to allow a party to visit this place. I shall have to ask them." When they reach the spring, Darach strips down, showing neither particular modesty nor exhibitionism. He lowers himself into the cool water with an appreciative sigh, closing his eyes and dipping his head underwater for a moment. "Ahh, that is most excellent. Nothing quite so bracing as a cold bath." He leans back, allowing the water to soak away the aches and weariness of travel.

Show
    Stating for the record that Darach left his greataxe and armor with the rest of his things, but kept his belt with him--where he carries his throwing axes and dagger. Just in case the DM decides to throw something at us while while we're here.

Edit: I'm also assuming these are not hot springs. I can edit that if I need to.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-01-24 at 04:46 PM.

-----

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

I speak celestial tongues, and can attempt to read them when done here. Hopefully it can give us better insight into this place. I can't lie, I'm terribly excited by the entire affair. The potential knowledge of this place could keep me here for years, I think, so I will do my utmost to utilize our time here appropriately. Daedalus also strips down and enters the water with no particular aplomb, while Hastur disrobes himself in grand fashion and dashes into the water with a massive splash that just so happen to catch his summoner full blast.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Well since Darach asked so nicely...
    Show
    Here you go!

It doesn't take long, after the group wades into the water (or jumps into the water, in Hastur's case) for something to take notice. But Hastur is certainly the one to notice it first, when he feels something crawling up his leg.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    DC 10. Or DC 5 if Hastur says something's touching his leg. It's a frog.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Hastur will alert the group that there is something on his leg. How he does so will depend on his perception check.
    Here's Hastur's roll (1d20+5)[20] and Daedalus' (1d20+5)[21]

There is something charming about bathing in a pool full of life. It seems that Mr. Frog is also enjoying this relaxing pool.
    Oh. Ewww. Hopefully it keeps away from me. A frog is not exactly my ideal of a bathing companion.
    Of course not. You would prefer Miss Mercuira, your fellow half-elf. And I can't say I blame you.
    Daedalus flushes red and sends a splash at Hastur. I won't even bother to correct you, dolt. That's how little I think of that statement.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2018-01-25 at 11:12 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach chuckles and shakes his head at the two, dodging out of the way of the edge of the splash. He watches the frog swim around in the spring. "It has been a long day indeed,
    has it not? I am looking forward to passing a night in relative safety and comfort."
    It's been a long time since he's been called to fight, march, and fight some more over the course of an entire day, as well as expend all of his magical energy, and the experience has left him feeling somewhat drained.

-----

29. - Top - End - #329

Like the others, Jarome has little in the ways of hangups about stripping out of his clothing to bathe, but he tends more towards Hastur's method of getting into the pool by simply stepping into the deepest part and submerging himself as swiftly as possible beneath the water. He comes up with water streaming out of his hair and a shiver. "I have to say, I appreciate the convenience of hot water when bathing in civilization. For outdoors, I find it best just to get used to the water's temperature all at once."

Jarome vigorously scrubs the dirt of the day from his skin and dunks his head underwater to wash his hair properly. He misses Hastur's finding of the frog, but catches the full brunt of Daedalus's splash in his face. He sputters water, but laughs as he splashes back at the summoner and Eidolon equally with broad sweeps of his arms.

Once the merriment fades, he leans against the edge of the pool and points his finger at the piles of clothing in turn, singing softly to himself as he uses his magic to clean and launder their clothing.

I swear, one of the best benefits of being able to use magic is to be able to handle things like that without needing a block of soap and a sunny day to dry it after." he says with satisfaction.

30. - Top - End - #330

Goblin

Taicho stays in the shallows, cleaning each feather in turn, it is a meticulous process. A bit embarrassing around so many non avian folk. But simply submerging is no good for plumage, no more than dirt and blood are. It seems so strange to him that humans and the rest of the survivors can take so much joy in something that to him might be painful,and at the very least uncomfortable. Also, mammals have odd dangly bits and he does his best not to gawk.

He is far more interested in getting a good nights rest and seeing whatever the Wyrwoods allow him to see in the morning, he will take their warning of nightfall to heart. After all this is their home. Even if he is tempted to explore. Perhaps if Mercuira also gets curious, she seems the sort. He thinks to himself watching his new companions get comfortable.