New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Nature will gradually erase...

TAICHO! PLEASE SAVE CORRIN! I CAN'T SCALE THE WALL LIKE YOU! Daedalus is in a panic, hands clasping either side of his face. He turns suddenly- Hastur, do you think you... before realizing his companion is in his home plane. He hurriedly begins assembling the mystic reagents to summon him back, fingers trembling and spilling the rare sands across the black velvet he uses as a mat during the ritual. Come on, come on, comeon,cmon! His mind races back and forth between the ritual and the fearsome noise that send Corrin tumbling to the ground, trying to do something, anything useful.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jarome, like the others is concerned about the flying summoner's fate, but unlike Taicho, waits impatiently as Daedalus hurriedly tries to re-summon his companion.

"Calmly, calmly, Daedalus. Care now saves more time then trying to make haste. As soon as Hastur is back with us, we can rush to follow Taicho."

While he waits, he racks his brain for any idea of what could have created that noise, or cause the effects they just witnessed. Whatever it is, it certainly frightened the Forest creatures to no end.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge Results
    Show
    Despite his haste (or perhaps knowing this is the cause of such concern) it's Daedalus that recognizes the noise. I wasn't actually sure which knowledge you technically are supposed to use for abberations when I made the initial post, so sorry for asking for so many! (Though at the same time, I feel like asking you guys for all the checks keeps you guessing as to what it might be, so let me know if you minded terribly or I might do something like that again).

Anyway, as you might now have guessed, the Nature, Arcana, and Spellcraft checks are enough to tell you whatever that noise was, it wasn't magical in nature, and while this planet is strange and the monsters it can conjure up are absolutely alien, that noise didn't sound natural, either. It sounded like some sort of unholy shriek, and even at the distance you all were, it certainly seemed like it could be deafening.

Daedalus would have ample reason to believe (with an above 20 in Dungeoneering) that noise was something known as Destructive Harmonics, an ability unique to a creature called a Destrachan. Despite its bestial appearance, the destrachan is in fact a creature of cunning and cruel intellect that enjoys inflicting pain and viciously toying with its prey. It has no eyes, and is completely blind, but possesses a pair of complex, tripartite ears it can adjust to different levels of sensitivity to sound, allowing the destrachan to hunt in absolute darkness as if it were able to see. Destrachans are carnivores, preferring to stalk and kill live prey, although they also feast on carrion. This habit serves them well, since they often kill more than they can immediately consume. They often hunt in packs, using a complex series of clicks, shrieks, and whistles to communicate with each other. While destrachans cannot speak, they are capable of understanding spoken languages like the common tongue, and often take pleasure in their victims' cries and pleas for mercy.

By this point, climbing like a natural, Mallow is already halfway down the cliff. Taicho, nimble enough to keep up and using his ability to glide quite effectively, is right there with him, while the others carefully pick their way down the path in pursuit. It's at this point that another of the shrieks echoes through the wilds, but the call sounds different this time. More surprised than aggressive. And by the time the tiefling and the tengu are on the ground, the forest has gone quiet again. Mallow hesitates for a moment, tail flicking in impatience as he looks back up the cliff to see the party following.
    "You don't have to come, you know," he says after a moment, speaking mostly to Taicho. "Whatever's out there might kill us."
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalus takes the time to center himself, following Jerome's advice and concentrating on one thing at a time. Still, it is a nerve wracking 60 seconds while he lights the mystical incense and says the words to summon Hastur from his home plane and bring him back to the mortal realm. Hastur on Red Sands, friend and ally, I summon thee to our world. The sand swirls into a small cyclone and a booming laugh sounds out as Hastur steps out of the tornado and gives a small flourish with his falchion. Is it time to test ourselves in combat again, my friend? Yes, Hastur. And lives are depending on it now, in the immediate sense.
    We're going to have to run to catch up, I hope you're ready. We need to gather our friends so I can share information on what we face with them.
    Daedalus quickly but meticulously puts the summoning tools away, then begins to run down to meet with those who ran off initially.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach scrambles down the cliff side, catching up with Taicho and Mallow. At Mallow's comment, he lets out a little laugh. "Not much out here that won't kill us. If I was afraid of dying I wouldn't have followed the path I did. I will help you find your friend." He catches his breath for a moment, and tries to get his bearings now that he's descended below the treeline. "We should move quickly. Chances are whatever that thing is won't be content just knocking him out of the air."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival check to make sure we're heading the right direction: (1d20+8)[9]
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-01-08 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

6. - Top - End - #246

Goblin

One does not grow by playing it safe. Besides Corrin is as important to this settlement as anyone. Taicho shifts his head to one side listening for more screeches or for Corrin. Besides there is strength in numbers. No one should go alone.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+10)[28]
    Survival (1d20+3)[7]
    Last edited by thelastorphan; 2018-01-05 at 04:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As she catches up to the rest of the group, Mercuira hears the last shriek, then the following calm. "Hopefully that means that whatever did that is gone..." She readies her bow, then looks around for signs of anything else.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    perception (1d20+9)[24]

8. - Top - End - #248

Jarome follows behind Darach, content to let the heavily armored holy warrior take the lead. He keeps his eyes and ears alert as he likewise looks for threats and their missing companion.

Show

Survival - (1d20+9)[22]
    Perception - (1d20+7)[17]
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2018-01-08 at 07:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Mallow meets eyes with Taicho, giving him a meaningful, grateful look. "Thank you. You've no idea how much that means to me," he says. He waits for the rest of the party to regroup at the base of the cliff, looking antsy all the while but knowing he shouldn't rush off on his own. The forest has gone silent save for the group's footfalls. Darach easily takes to the lead, ready to defend his friends, but it takes Jarome's guidance to get them headed the right direction. It takes a bit of walking, near twenty minutes, to actually reach the site where Corrin crashed to the ground - he was a bit farther out than it seemed from above the treeline and the undergrowth is inhospitable, but eventually Taicho, Mercuira, and Jarome are able to see the dent in the forest above, several broken branches indicating something large came crashing down here recently, and it was likely the summoner. The tiefling hops into the lead, then, picking over the site and moving through the brush with a nimbleness that seems almost unnatural. The rough terrain doesn't seem to be much of an impediment to him. He furrows his brow and his eyes seem to glow for a moment, before concern flashes on his features.
    "He's not here. He's not anywhere nearby," he reports, tail flicking with unease. "Where could he have gone...?" He starts looking around again, trying to pick out a trail or some other thing, eyes flashing sporadically. After a moment, however, he freezes, staring into the treeline. "What... is that?" He goes quiet. "...neither alive nor dead..."

Show
    For those interested/those that make a Knowledge: Planes check above 15, that was the Soul Seer ability that the tiefling just used.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-08 at 12:30 PM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge Planes
    Show
    (1d20+10)[11]

Daedalus spends the time marching through the undergrowth huffing and puffing, insistent on relaying the information he has recollected on the destrachan to his companions before they may face such a creature. He also spends the time mentally chalking off the spells he has used already. Not good... I didn't think we'd be facing foes so soon after delving into the mines... but we have a few tricks left to us,
    don't we Hastur?
    The run through the forest has him gasping and struggling to catch his breath when they finally reach Corrin's landing spot, but he quickly collects himself, hanging onto Hastur's shoulder. He doesn't really catch the tiefling's ability, but the words strike him with fear anyway. Hastur grips his falchion with one hand, the other squeezing Daedalus to impart him some of the eidolon's bottomless courage.
    Sounds threatening. Let's all prepare ourselves. It could be something horrible and destined to be slain out there in the underbrush. Daedalus, a protection spell if you please. Daedalus nods, whispering the words to a protective charm and enshrouding the eidolon in plates of force to protect him.
    Darach, if you'd like I can enhance your formidable strength. Normally I use this on Hastur, but I think it may compliment your martial skills as well. Would you like me to cast it on you?
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2018-01-08 at 01:21 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach frowns. Neither alive nor dead... that can't be good, he thinks to himself, though he doesn't say anything. Regardless of Corrin's condition, he will help find him... or his body. Corrin has clearly moved from this place--whether on his own power or carried by something else--so there should be some sign of its passage. Darach begins searching the area for tracks. He glances up at Daedalus' offer. "Whichever you think is best. I will certainly not turn down the help, but it seems your eidolon has no lack of martial skill as well." He gives Hastur a small nod. "I can grant everyone a divine blessing should we run into trouble, as I have done in the past. But it will limit my ability to heal our wounds afterwards."

Show
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+4)[12]
    Perception and Survival to find/follow some indication of Corrin walking, being carried, or being dragged away from this spot.
    Perception: (1d20+8)[20]
    Survival: (1d20+8)[14]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #252

Goblin

Taicho nodded after Mallow's thank you. It felt nice to receive gratitude even for something so small in Taicho's mind. Following the Tiefling's eye line into the trees hoping to spot whatever it might be. Neither alive nor dead did not sound appealing.

Taicho pulled a potion from his pack and drank it. An near invisible cloak of armor fell around him. We should be ready, I do not wish to meet something neither alive nor dead without a look at it first. Staying near Mallow Taicho tries to peer through the brush.

Spoiler: Rolls and Potion
    Show

Potion of Mage Armor bringing AC up to 25
    Perception to follow Mallow's eye line into the woods. (1d20+10)[12]
    Survival to assist Darach (1d20+3)[17]

13. - Top - End - #253

Jarome looks around sharply at the tiefling's muttered words, distractedly making his own report on his resources. "I've got most of my song magic available, and I've used only a little of my available magical energy. That said, I don't have anything to cast to make us better prepared."

Show

Perception - (1d20+7)[16]
    Survival - (1d20+9)[11]

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have some healing prepared," Mallow assures the rest of the party. Following his eye line, whatever he's looking at seems to simply blend in to the forest, lost amongst the trees and staying very still. "...they're just... watching," he murmurs, sounding uneasy.
    Darach, though certainly still wary of what's going on in the woods, is able to study the ground and pick out several different tracks. There is indication of a struggle, the ground ripped up and blood here and there. There are large tracks, seeming to belong to something like a bipedal reptilian. But there are also numerous humanoid prints in the ground, seeming to surround the point where Corrin had hit the ground. There are a set of these humanoid points, deeper than the others and spread farther apart, leading in the direction that Mallow is looking. Indicating a retreat into the forest at a run. There isn't evidence of Corrin being dragged away, so either he was carried, or those running prints may belong to him. The others indicate a more recent scatter into the woods, and were probably left by whatever Mallow is currently staring at.
    The party doesn't have much time to prepare or ponder over what's in the woods, however. For suddenly, from the opposite direction, there is loud crashing, and shrieking noises that move ever closer. Mallow whips his head around, eyes wide at the two creatures that crash out from the brush. Daedalus recognizes them at once as the very creatures he dreaded knocked Corrin from the sky.

Spoiler: Destrachan
    Show

"What the hell are those things?" Mallow asks, features going pale as he steps forward. He bares his pointed teeth. "Everyone, watch out!"

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Darach: (1d20+5)[14]
    Mercuira: (1d20+4)[24]
    Jarome: (1d20+5)[8]
    Daedalus: (1d20+4)[17]
    Hastur: (1d20+5)[10]
    Taicho: (1d20+7)[11]
    Mallow: (1d20+1)[8]
    Destrachan: (1d20+5)[20]
    This is going to be big combat because you get allies: (1d20+3)[16]
    Don't really want you guys to die: (1d20+5)[7]
    Hope you don't mind a little extra assistance: (1d20+2)[6]

All right, party rogue, they're still flatfooted!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-09 at 12:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Without thinking, Mercuira looses an arrow at the closest approaching beast, then falls back while shouting to the others: "There they are, get them!"

Show
    deadly aim point-blank sneak attack!
    then move behind the meatshields

attack (1d20+9)[18]
    damage (1d8+5)[7]+(2d6)[7]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

The Destrachan which Mercuira hits lets out an ungodly sound as the arrow bites in. It doesn't seem to have hit in a critical place, but that certainly hurt it. Despite not having eyes, it seems to single out Mercuira's footsteps, and it circles around to the back of the group, trying to get an angle on her so it can take revenge for that arrow. The other bounds forward, huge maw gaping as it tries to bite the closest victim, who happens to be Hastur.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The first Destrachan used its entire turn moving around towards Mercuira. It consistently stayed ten feet away at least, so unless someone has a reach weapon (or some special feat or something that allows you to AoO with a ranged weapon), no AoO on it.
    Attack on Hastur: (1d20+12)[14]
    Damage on Hastur: (2d6+4)[12]

The Destrachan who attempts to bite misses as Hastur is able to lean out of the way. Its movements are not nearly as clumsy that one might expect a creature without eyes to be, and it hisses as it readies itself for another round.

Spoiler: Placement
    Show
    Currently, they are "flanking" the entire group, one ten feet away on the right and the other ten feet away on the left. No one is actually flanked, but just to give you the idea.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-09 at 08:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The suddenness of the attack caught Darach off-guard, but he quickly recovers. Judging that Hastur can probably hold off the other one well enough, he moves to intercept the one attacking Mercuira. "HEY! OVER HERE!" he bellows, hoping to distract the creature's hearing. "COME AND FACE ME, AND MEET YOUR JUDGEMENT ON MY AXE!" He lines up a sweeping cut with his greataxe, hoping to take the creature's legs out from under it.

Show
    Hopefully shouting will draw its attention away from squishier party members

Charging, Destruction judgement is active, and power attack. Unfortunately no time to cast Bless.
    Attack roll: (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage: (1d12+12)[24]

-----

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Hastur! Keep that one pinned down! Use those enhanced muscles I gave you! Daedalus levels his crossbow and fires at the monster threatening his friend, using it's large size to lead the creature and avoid having to aim around an ally. I'll do more than keep it occupied! My muscles are my own, and I'll keep it dead, my summoner! Hastur slips forward a step and brings his falchion down in a double handed chop meant to cut the creature in two.

Show
    Daedalus fires his crossbow at the creature threatening Hastur while the eidolon is still ten feet away from the aberration. Firing for (1d20+7)[12] and (1d8)[8] damage. Then Hastur, buffed by the Bull's Strength spell, steps forward to attack for (1d20+9)[26]
    and (2d4+9)[17] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #259

Goblin

Taicho attempts to maneuver opposite Darach and attack the creature. Tumbling low, rolling and coming up with a kick to its haunches.

Show

Acrobatics (1d20+13)[22]
    Attack (hopefully flanking if it is add +2)(1d20+8)[11]
    Damage (1d6+5)[9]
    If SA (2d6)[11]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Mallow joins the party in fighting off the ugly creatures. He steps forward a bit, baring his teeth as his entire body seems to ripple - and within a moment, it is no longer a tiefling standing beside the party, but a large Emperor Cobra. He readies himself to strike at the next available moment. The massive green cobra rears its head upward aggressively, its brightly colored, scaly hood flaring in an unmistakable warning.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-10 at 12:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Jarome narrows his eyes at the ugly monstrosities threatening the group. Summoning his magic, he opens his mouth and begins roaring a litany of blistering invective at them, insulting their appearance, presumed genders, and intimidating relations with an improbably array of assumed family members, inanimate objects and positions that would turn them into pretzels. As his roaring tirade continues, the very air around the two destrachan begins to turn hot.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show

Jarome casts Blistering Invective on the Destrachan!

Destrachan #1
    Intimidate - (1d20+10)[23]
    If succeeded, target is demoralized and takes (1d10)[3] fire damage.
    if it fails a reflex save DC 15, it also lights on fire.

Destrachan #2
    Intimidate - (1d20+10)[30]
    If succeeded, target is demoralized and takes (1d10)[2] fire damage.
    If it fails a reflex save DC 15, it also lights on fire.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

The two Destrachan suffer an array of blows, the most devastating coming at the hands of Darach. However, as the half-orc charges forward, the destrachan he's charging lashes out with one wickedly sharp, taloned hand.

Spoiler: AoO on Darach
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+12)[32]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]
    Crit confirmed, Darach takes a total of 16 damage.

Just a moment after its swing, the creature is flanked by Taicho. And while the tengu's attack doesn't hit, the creature seems increasingly more troubled - which is probably why, when it hears Jarome roaring, it flinches back, hissing as the fire sears along its skin for just a moment.
    The other Destrachan, at the front of the group and still facing down Hastur, looks to be in much better shape. It blocks Jarome out completely, focusing on Hastur as it readies itself for another lunge at the eidolon.

Show
    Top of the order, Mercuira's turn again!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-11 at 01:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira's eyes glow faintly as Jarome casts his spell, but they fade as she tracks the beast around and shoots another arrow at it.

Show
    targeting the same one (the one that moved around), deadly aim + point-blank shot

attack (1d20+9)[17]
    damage (1d8+5)[8] P
    Last edited by theasl; 2018-01-11 at 06:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: It's actually flanked
    Show
    So that shot hits and I believe you can roll sneak attack damage.

The one that has been taking the brunt of the attacks is starting to look worse for wear, hissing uneasily as Mercuira's arrow bites in to a weak point in its hide. Snarling, it tries to get to her again, running through into the middle of the group to lash out at the rogue.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    For Taicho and Darach, if you want to take it.

Spoiler: Attacks on Mercuira
    Show
    It's going all in with both claws.
    Attack: (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[10]
    Attack: (1d20+12)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]

The other Destrachan tries to take another bite out of Hastur, seeming to think that the large one right in front of him would still make a tasty snack, and he's conveniently placed, too.

Spoiler: Attack on Hastur
    Show
    Attack: [roll]1d20+12[roll]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[11]

EDIT: That's a hit, rolled on the OOC thread.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-11 at 06:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Mallow, now in the assumed form of a gigantic snake, slides forward just enough to aid Hastur. "Call me iffff you need my healing back there," he hisses, somehow adept at speaking with a serpant's mouth. Then he's baring his fangs, striking at the Destrachan he's moved to flank with Hastur.

Spoiler: Go NPC Druid go
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+10)[17]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[18]
    Edit: For those who are interested, hits because I forgot flanking bonus. Again.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-11 at 06:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach curses quietly, taking a swing at the creature as it moves past before pursuing. It seems his plan of shouting at it didn't work as well as expected. Still, it couldn't hurt to keep trying to distract it. "Over here, you big ugly brute! Mercuira, do you need healing?"

Spoiler: Some attacks
    Show
    AoO first. Still have destruction judgement up. Both will be power attacks.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (1d12+12)[16]

After that, pursue (with a 5ft step if possible--if not I'll charge and eat another AoO) and attack again. Since it has reach I doubt it'll count as a flanking attack.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[9] (+2 if I charge rather than 5ft step, and another +2 if it's flanked)
    Damage: (1d12+12)[13]

-----

27. - Top - End - #267

Goblin

Taicho responds to its movement with a punch. Trying to club its hide as it turns to assault Mercuira. Then pursues again heading low and then following through with a second punch. Aiming for the joint of its leg.

Show

If flanking +2 to attacks
    AOO (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage (1d6+5)[9]
    If SA (2d6)[5]

Acrobatics (1d20+13)[26]

Attack (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage (1d6+5)[11]
    If SA (2d6)[6]

28. - Top - End - #268

Jarome raises his voice in song, hoping to bolster his more martial allies as they swarm the twin beasts.

Show

Bard song is go! Unfortunately, Jarome is at the end of the initiative order, so it'll take effect next turn. +1 to attack, damage, will saves, etc.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalus draws back the lever on his crossbow with practiced ease despite his lack of muscles, loading in another bolt and firing again at the creature just before a wave of sickening pain hits him when Hastur is assaulted. The eidolon fights on despite the wound, swinging his falchion with all his might to try to carve the creature up.

Show
    Daedalus fires again, hopefully with better luck. (1d20+7)[22] and (1d8)[1] damage. Hastur hurts, but keeps on coming with a (1d20+9)[20] to hit and (2d4+9)[17] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira utters a cry of pain as the creature's claws cut into her through her armor. With blood dripping from the wounds, she staggers back and gasps out, "Yes, some healing would be nice..." Trying to keep her mind on the fight and not bleeding out, she once again fires at the beast, hoping to put the thing down.

Show
    I think that's everyone who's taken their turn, right? Doing this now before I go sleep, so sorry if I'm preempting something.

5 ft step, then attack it again (deadly aim + pbs)
    attack (1d20+9)[26]
    damage (1d8+5)[11]
    Last edited by theasl; 2018-01-12 at 03:29 AM.