Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Fate/Apocrypha

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Fate/Apocrypha

    We have a new Fate series on Netflix, so let's talk about it!

    Since the whole season is out at once but not everyone has seen the whole thing, please be careful with spoilers. I'm going to try and put anything spoilery past the first episode in a spoiler block labeling the specific episode, but others can do however they think it makes sense. I feel like the first episode should be fair game though.

    The setup is interesting this time, since we have two teams facing off rather than a bunch of individuals. And we may even get an actual wish granted this time!

    So far, my only complaint is the name Yggdmillennia, which sounds really awkward and does not roll off the tongue at all. It's a petty complaint, but it's annoying.

    On the other hand, it's nice to see other Saber-class characters for a change. I particularly like the one summoned at the end of the episode.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2017-11-08 at 09:34 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Ygg / Yggr is Norse for Terrible. It is one of the many names for Odin which means Terrible One. Ygg-drasil / Ygg-drasill is the name of the world tree in Norse mythology. Drasil / Drasill means horse but it can also mean gallows or support, and thus the name of the world tree is supposed to represent Odin self hanging himself at the tree in the pursuit of knowledge. There Odin learns the knowledge of the runes. In the next section of one of the poems of Yggdrasil, Odin describes 18 charms / songs. Some people interpret these 18 charms as 18 magical runes that Odin learn, secrets of the knowledge of the universe. In the fate universe the Lancer of the 5th war of Fate Stay Night an Irish hero, knows 18 magical runes taught to him from his master / teacher on an island of Scotland called Skye. Skye has a mountain range called Cuillin take from the name of this Irish hero of the 5th grail war.

    Millennia is an english word with a latin origin so you are right the creation of the term Yggdmillennia is not a natural term and thus it makes sense it does not roll off the tongue. You are mixing up words from a proto-italiac language descendent and a word from a proto germanic / north germanic descendent that the Norse language is. It just doesn't make sense for the sounds had diverge from these languages at least 2000 years ago and more likely 2500 to 2700 years ago and then thousands of years of parallel and further development causing further separation. All you have to do is read shakespeare (400 years ago) cantebury tales (600 years ago) and that is still English but very hard to read itn its original form. Let alone something like beowulf which is unreadable without a translation (even though it is still english) let alone norse mythology which is just as old but in a sister language.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    On top of that, I'm not sure they're even pronouncing the Norse root correctly (in the English dub that is; I don't know about the Japanese). They're enunciating every consonant, so it's like yuh-guh-duh-millennia, and it just doesn't sound right.

    Anyway, Episode 2 shows us most of the servants on both sides, so the battle lines are shaping up!

    On Team Red, we have:
    Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show
    Saber: Mordred, son of King Arthur (gender-swapped for whatever reason, just like her old man)
    Berserker: Spartacus, Roman gladiator turned rebel leader (mentioned but not yet seen)
    Caster: William Shakespeare, famous playwright (surprising choice, but it will be interesting to see how he contributes)
    ???: Semiramis, legendary Assyrian queen (I don't think her class has been revealed yet)
    ???: Karna, legendary warrior from the Mahabharata (don't think we know his class either)
    And two more as yet unrevealed servants.

    (I used Wikipedia to look up who Semiramis and Karna were, since I am not familiar with their legends).


    Meanwhile, over on Team Black (much easier to say than Team Yggdmillennia, thankfully):
    Spoiler: also Episode 2
    Show
    Saber: Siegfried, slayer of the dragon Fafnir (and probably not the guy from Soul Calibur)
    Archer: Chiron, leader of the centaurs of Greek mythology
    Lancer: Vlad Tepes, Romanian folk hero rather than the vampire, apparently because of being summoned in Romania (so does that mean he can be summoned as Dracula in other places?)
    Rider: Astolfo, one of Charlemagne's paladins (and apparently gender-swapped as well)
    Caster: Avicebron, Andalusian and Jewish poet/philosopher and apparently maker of golems, to provide a lot of mooks for the other side to fight
    Berserker: Frankenstein's monster, also gender-swapped and apparently able to throw down some seriously powerful lightning attacks
    Assassin: Jack the Ripper, who is probably the most obvious choice ever for the Assassin class, and is yet another gender-swapped character.


    Hard to say who has the more impressive lineup so far, especially since we don't know all of Team Red's people so far.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Meanwhile, over on Team Black (much easier to say than Team Yggdmillennia, thankfully):
    Spoiler: also Episode 2
    Show
    Saber: Siegfried, slayer of the dragon Fafnir (and probably not the guy from Soul Calibur)
    Archer: Chiron, leader of the centaurs of Greek mythology
    Lancer: Vlad Tepes, Romanian folk hero rather than the vampire, apparently because of being summoned in Romania (so does that mean he can be summoned as Dracula in other places?)
    Rider: Astolfo, one of Charlemagne's paladins (and apparently gender-swapped as well)
    Caster: Avicebron, Andalusian and Jewish poet/philosopher and apparently maker of golems, to provide a lot of mooks for the other side to fight
    Berserker: Frankenstein's monster, also gender-swapped and apparently able to throw down some seriously powerful lightning attacks
    Assassin: Jack the Ripper, who is probably the most obvious choice ever for the Assassin class, and is yet another gender-swapped character.
    Spoiler: Team Black
    Show
    Very, very minor spoilers in this but Astolgo is not gender-swapped, he's just remarkably..uh...free-spirited? He just does what he wants to do. If he thinks a skirt looks cute, he'll wear it. In other words, he's a TRAP!

    Frankenstein's monster is very different from just being gender-swapped, imagine if the story was different and the good(?) Doctor made the female before the male. That's what happened and Jack is...

    ...Jack is technically a 'she' but is best described as a 'them' for horrifying reasons you will discover.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post

    On Team Red, we have:
    Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show

    ???: Semiramis, legendary Assyrian queen (I don't think her class has been revealed yet)

    Talking about one of the heros from Team Red and her myth

    Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show
    Semiramis should be treated as two different people but in one body with who she is. This is how fate does it, and let me explain.

    There was a real life person known as Shammuramat who lived during the Iron Age and ruled the Assyrian Empire. She probably lived about 800 bc so we are talking roughly 1900 years after Gilgamesh, 950 years after King Hammurabi of the city of Babylon, and 200 to 150 years after King David and Solomon.

    Shammuramat was the female queen of her empire until her son came of age and after her husband died. Different years of her reign are in the record but she probably reigned at least 5 years and probably even longer once her son came of age.

    During her reign the lands of Assyria was an empire plus it bordered many neighbors where the neighbors may not like a female queen but Shammuramat widely maneuvered the politics and mythology was starting to take place due to her being a female ruler. Some of the mythology she encouraged with her being a child of a fish god, and other mythology claimed she was a harlot, home wrecker, poisoner, etc. That she seduced the generals of her husband and took away their witts and this is why there is a female queen for so long instead of a new dynasty or another male being reagent instead of her. Oh these myths spread and were expanded after Semiramis death, stuff involving Shakespeare and so on.

    ----

    But their is a second source of mythology around her. Their is a crazy protestant Scottish Minister known as Alexander Hislop who wrote all this fake stuff which he claimed as history. He wrote a book called "The Two Babylons" and claims Semiramis is the wife of Nimrod in the bible. He also claims Semiramis created polytheism and did so to get people away from the true god, and created goddess worship and she was worshipped as a goddess and so on. Oh Alexander Hislop also tried connecting Semiramis to various recently discovered mesopotamian gods and goddess such as Ishtar, Talzmud, Gilgamesh, etc. Aka lots of nonsense. Oh Alexander Hislop was also very anti catholic, and said that catholics worshipped Mary and Joseph as divine beings, and he tried to also connect this back to Semiramis and so on.


    ----

    I bring this up for this stuff is kind of important to Fate for heroic spirits can gain powers from mythology even if stuff is not literally true and so on. For example in the data books we learn some heroic spirits never actually existed but were instead folk heroes who were worshipped and thus they were created on the throne of heroes while other heroic spirits actually existed as humans before becoming "legendary souls", and Semiramis is a person whose as a heroic spirit is a person who derives power over stuff that supposedly happened in mythology and history, but she also gains power from some of these false stories men tell about woman and so on.

    Oh of course I am not telling all of her mythology for I am trying to keep spoilers and foreshadowing to a minimum =P
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-09 at 12:47 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Well, as of episode 3, the rest of Team Red has been revealed.

    Spoiler: Episode 3
    Show

    We have Achilles as the Rider, and Atalanta as the Archer, which means that Semiramis and Karna must be the Assasin and the Lancer (in that order, I assume?)

    And Ruler has been revealed as Joan of Arc, so Caster from Fate/Zero has to be kicking himself for showing up to the wrong Grail War.



    And a couple of major developments in episode 4.
    Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    And Siegfried is out already, having ripped out his own heart to give it to this escaped homunculus kid. That's pretty hardcore.
    Also, it looks like Team Red's Berserker is either dead or captured, so both sides are down one servant already.

    Kind of a nice change of pace from the usual Fate series practice of coming up with contrived excuses to avoid killing off any servants early on.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2017-11-13 at 12:33 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    A few more episodes in, and things are continuing to get interesting... and more than a little creepy.

    Spoiler: Episodes 5-7
    Show
    The homunculus has escaped, and has taken the name Sieg. Ruler has declared that he is destined to fight in the Grail War, but will it be for or against his savior Siegfried's side? After all, it was the Yggdmillennia who wanted to take him back, so he's got no reason to like them.

    Astolfo's master has definitely got a disturbing obsession with him. It was obvious something was off when she seemed to spend most of her spare time licking her servant, but she's definitely got jealous lover written all over her actions now.

    Jack the Ripper's fighting outfit is far too sexualized for a character that's portrayed as childlike. That really makes me uncomfortable. Also, didn't they say Assassin's master was found dead? Then who is Jack's "mother?"

    On the other hand, every time I see Mordred's master bring out a new weapon (I can't remember his name), I chuckle, and I'm pretty sure that's not the intended reaction. But seriously, finger bullets? Heart grenades? It's downright hilarious.

    Archer's master has this cool Doc Ock thing going on, and each tentacle seems to have the name of a Roman god for some reason.

    As of the end of episode 7, it looks like we're finally about to see some real teamwork, which hasn't been present as much as I would have expected thus far. Almost as exciting, we may finally get to see what Vlad is capable of.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Spoiler: Saber of Red's master's name, so Episode 1
    Show
    Saber of Red's master is known as Kairi Sisigou, but you pronounce his name Shi-Shi-Go similar to how you pronounce C2 in Code Geass as Shi Tsu.

    I was frustrated in Episode 1 when they did a Fate Strange Fake cameo with another clock tower member, Flat Escardos interupts Kairi Sisigou who was explaining the meaning of his last name for the kanji of his last name actually has thematic meaning for the character which the anime will explore. Flat Escardos interupts Sisigou and says his name is a voltron pun for you can twist the spelling and pronunciation and make it into a Go Lion joke. He did this for the 獅 character (shi) is the japanesse word for lion.

    Remember Mordered and her father Artoria are both associated with Lions as well.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: Saber of Red's master's name, so Episode 1
    Show
    Saber of Red's master is known as Kairi Sisigou, but you pronounce his name Shi-Shi-Go similar to how you pronounce C2 in Code Geass as Shi Tsu.

    I was frustrated in Episode 1 when they did a Fate Strange Fake cameo with another clock tower member, Flat Escardos interupts Kairi Sisigou who was explaining the meaning of his last name for the kanji of his last name actually has thematic meaning for the character which the anime will explore. Flat Escardos interupts Sisigou and says his name is a voltron pun for you can twist the spelling and pronunciation and make it into a Go Lion joke. He did this for the 獅 character (shi) is the japanesse word for lion.

    Remember Mordered and her father Artoria are both associated with Lions as well.
    Speaking of Mordred and Artoria, why is it that they are often referred to in the masculine, even though both are quite clearly female? Mordred at least has been explicitly called a girl, and her casual outfit is revealing enough to confirm that she has cleavage. I can't remember whether her father was ever explicitly called a woman, but she often gets referred to as male. What gives?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Speaking of Mordred and Artoria, why is it that they are often referred to in the masculine, even though both are quite clearly female? Mordred at least has been explicitly called a girl, and her casual outfit is revealing enough to confirm that she has cleavage. I can't remember whether her father was ever explicitly called a woman, but she often gets referred to as male. What gives?
    I am trying to remember how many years King Artoria reigns in the fate multiverse, that is because there are multiple versions of the length of King Arthur's reign in myth and they do not always agree, and fate plays fast and loose with stuff like this anyway.

    But in the fate multiverse Artoria pretended to be a male even though she was a girl ever since she pulled the sword in the stone (caliburn) at the age of 15. Merlin put her under the effect of a glamour spell, combine with her being locked in the body of a 15 year old due to the anti aging magic of Caliburn and later Avalon. Even though Artoria reigned as a man (though she was a girl pretending to be a man) during part of her reign she had a penis temporarily due to Merlin getting involved and Artoria and Guinevere trying to conceive a heir.

    Morgan Le Fey, Artoria's half sister was able to use magic to extract sperm from Artoria during part of Artoria's reign, and she then use that sperm to create a clone of Artoria, and then she implanted the clone into her and beared the child of Artoria and was Mordered's mother. Note Mordered is not a human but a homunculi similar to Illya from the 5th grail war, and thus she was born with some knowledge already crafted inside of her, and she was artificially aged to join the Knights of the Round at a much sooner age. Well Mordered was always raised as a guy, and Morgan Le Fey put a glamour on her so other people thought she was a guy and so on.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I am trying to remember how many years King Artoria reigns in the fate multiverse, that is because there are multiple versions of the length of King Arthur's reign in myth and they do not always agree, and fate plays fast and loose with stuff like this anyway.

    But in the fate multiverse Artoria pretended to be a male even though she was a girl ever since she pulled the sword in the stone (caliburn) at the age of 15. Merlin put her under the effect of a glamour spell, combine with her being locked in the body of a 15 year old due to the anti aging magic of Caliburn and later Avalon. Even though Artoria reigned as a man (though she was a girl pretending to be a man) during part of her reign she had a penis temporarily due to Merlin getting involved and Artoria and Guinevere trying to conceive a heir.

    Morgan Le Fey, Artoria's half sister was able to use magic to extract sperm from Artoria during part of Artoria's reign, and she then use that sperm to create a clone of Artoria, and then she implanted the clone into her and beared the child of Artoria and was Mordered's mother. Note Mordered is not a human but a homunculi similar to Illya from the 5th grail war, and thus she was born with some knowledge already crafted inside of her, and she was artificially aged to join the Knights of the Round at a much sooner age. Well Mordered was always raised as a guy, and Morgan Le Fey put a glamour on her so other people thought she was a guy and so on.
    Thank you for the explanation. I suppose that comes from one of the non-anime sources, and is not going to be touched on in the show?

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. I suppose that comes from one of the non-anime sources, and is not going to be touched on in the show?
    Having finished Part One, I can comfortably say that only part of that is addressed on the show.

    I will also say that I hate the fact that I had no idea this was a 'part one' type deal and no angrily demand that I get part two as well because PART ONE ENDED ON A VERY BAD SPOT.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Having finished Part One, I can comfortably say that only part of that is addressed on the show.

    I will also say that I hate the fact that I had no idea this was a 'part one' type deal and no angrily demand that I get part two as well because PART ONE ENDED ON A VERY BAD SPOT.
    I agree. Th show was fun but that is a terrible place to end a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    on earth, i guess.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    The "ending" was extremely dissatisfying.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    So people who have seen Fate Zero or UBW is the spot they end cour 1 / season 1 any worse than Zero or UBW?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So people who have seen Fate Zero or UBW is the spot they end cour 1 / season 1 any worse than Zero or UBW?
    Hard to say cause I don't know when or even if Zero and UBW have a first/second season and, if they do, where they end.

    All I know is Apocrypha ends right when things really begins to pick up and, so far, I haven't heard any news of Part 2 being released.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Hard to say cause I don't know when or even if Zero and UBW have a first/second season and, if they do, where they end.

    All I know is Apocrypha ends right when things really begins to pick up and, so far, I haven't heard any news of Part 2 being released.
    Comparing the point of the Season 1 vs Season 2 of Apocrypha vs other Fate franchises?

    Spoiler: Spoilers for Fate Zero and UBW
    Show


    Fate Zero had the 1st Cour end after Caster / Gil summoned Cthulhu, then Saber, Lancer, and Rider agreeing to an alliance and Saber remarking I been blessed by the Lady of the Lake and we now see Saber running towards Cthulhu, and we get a very cgi shot of Cthulhu in the water raising a tentacle while Saber jumps up.

    ---

    Fate UBW ends with Caster sealing Saber from Shirou and Shirou not being a master anymore. Note the end of the 1st cour / season for UBW is a single episode but it gets a double length just like the Episode 0 and Episode 1 which deal with Rin and Shirou's prologue respectively. Rin tells Shirou stop trying to fight the holy grail war for you are not a master anymore. Then This Illusion plays with Rin and Archer jumping from building to building.



    This Illusion and its various remixes (Disillusion) are famous in fate for being the Opening Music for the original Fate Stay Night game. The sound of This Illusion can change very much depending on the instrument used for the melody and whether vocals are added (and there are official versions with both english vocals and japanese vocals) for example in UBW Episode 24 if I recall This Illusion pops up again in instrumental form right before Shirou realizes the truth of UBW and that is the trick and now he can fight gilgamesh toe to toe.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS9oFjoD9pw






    Netflix Season 2 Release Date?

    So in the light novels the part they ended the story is when Vol 2 out of the 5 Volumes ended.

    As for US release dates we have no official date of the 2nd cour release to Netflix. The 2nd cour is currently underway in Japan with episode 19 just airing, and they just did a recap episode (episode 19.5 recapping episode 13 to 19) for we only have 6 episodes left and it is going to be a wild ride for those 6 episodes.

    In Japan Cour 1 started to air July 2nd and Netflix aired this Cour 4 months later. Cour 2 with episode 13 started October 1st. I guess a soon turn around with Netflix.

    ----

    The thing that shocked me about the US release of Apocrypha is that they already had an Aniplex English Dubbed out already even though Apocrypha came out this year, and the Japanese was only released 4 months earlier.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-21 at 07:11 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilers for Fate Zero and UBW
    Show


    Fate Zero had the 1st Cour end after Caster / Gil summoned Cthulhu, then Saber, Lancer, and Rider agreeing to an alliance and Saber remarking I been blessed by the Lady of the Lake and we now see Saber running towards Cthulhu, and we get a very cgi shot of Cthulhu in the water raising a tentacle while Saber jumps up.

    ---

    Fate UBW ends with Caster sealing Saber from Shirou and Shirou not being a master anymore. Note the end of the 1st cour / season for UBW is a single episode but it gets a double length just like the Episode 0 and Episode 1 which deal with Rin and Shirou's prologue respectively. Rin tells Shirou stop trying to fight the holy grail war for you are not a master anymore. Then This Illusion plays with Rin and Archer jumping from building to building.



    This Illusion and its various remixes (Disillusion) are famous in fate for being the Opening Music for the original Fate Stay Night game. The sound of This Illusion can change very much depending on the instrument used for the melody and whether vocals are added (and there are official versions with both english vocals and japanese vocals) for example in UBW Episode 24 if I recall This Illusion pops up again in instrumental form right before Shirou realizes the truth of UBW and that is the trick and now he can fight gilgamesh toe to toe.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS9oFjoD9pw



    So in the light novels the part they ended the story is when Vol 2 out of the 5 Volumes ended.

    As for US release dates we have no official date of the 2nd cour release to Netflix. The 2nd cour is currently underway in Japan with episode 19 just airing, and they just did a recap episode (episode 19.5 recapping episode 13 to 19) for we only have 6 episodes left and it is going to be a wild ride for those 6 episodes.

    In Japan Cour 1 started to air July 2nd and Netflix aired this Cour 4 months later. Cour 2 with episode 13 started October 1st. I guess a soon turn around ;with Netflix.

    ----

    The thing that shocked me about the US release of Apocrypha is that they already had an Aniplex English Dubbed out already even though Apocrypha came out this year, and the Japanese was only released 4 months earlier.
    Its at a similar point to Fate/Zero then.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    So Fate Apocrypha Episode 20 has aired in Japan and it has been fan subbed. I am not going to talk about Fate Apocrypha and what happens in Season 2 until we get a dubbed of Season 2 via Netflix. I still have not had time to even watch the Season 1 of Fate Apocrypha dubbed version and once I have time I will comment on specific episodes.

    So why am I making this post? Well I get to see one of my favorite scenes from the Light Novel finally animated. Note a light novel is not a manga, but instead a short novel of a few hundred pages but they do included illustrations every now and then and the scene I am about to spoiler block is one of my favorite scenes from Fate Apocrypha. Note major spoilers so Netflix only watchers do not read this until Season 2 comes out on netflix.

    Spoiler: Scene from Episode 20
    Show

    Original Light Novel version

    That scene in animated form
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    It just doesn't make sense for the sounds had diverge from these languages at least 2000 years ago and more likely 2500 to 2700 years ago and then thousands of years of parallel and further development causing further separation.
    More like 2500 to 4000 B.C., for their divergence from Proto-Indo-European.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    More like 2500 to 4000 B.C., for their divergence from Proto-Indo-European.
    You are talking when PIE first diverged into daughter and grand-daughter languages. This occured probably 2500 to 4000 BC.

    I am talking about when the first traits of Germanic and the Italic languages emerged that we are confident of (they may have emerged even earlier but we have relative certainty). These languages probably did not diverge directly from PIE but there were some in-between generational languages probably.

    Remember PIE is seen to have split off into at least 12+ main branches, quotes from David Anthony's: The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: how bronze-age riders from the Eurasian steppes shaped the modern world.

    The twelve branches of Indo- European included most of the languages of Europe (but not Basque, Finnish, Estonian, or Magyar); the Persian language of Iran; Sanskrit and its many modern daughters (most important, Hindi and Urdu); and a number of extinct languages including Hittite in Anatolia (modern Turkey) and Tocharian in the deserts of Xinjiang (northwestern China) (fi gure 1.2). Modern English, like Yiddish and Swedish, is assigned to the Germanic branch. The analytic methods invented by nineteenth- century philologists are today used to describe, classify, and explain language variation worldwide.

    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Having finished Part One, I can comfortably say that only part of that is addressed on the show.

    I will also say that I hate the fact that I had no idea this was a 'part one' type deal and no angrily demand that I get part two as well because PART ONE ENDED ON A VERY BAD SPOT.
    Having now finished Part One as well, I don't remember any of that being addressed. What did I miss?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Having now finished Part One as well, I don't remember any of that being addressed. What did I miss?
    It was Shishigou's vision of Mordred's past where you hear Morgan telling Mordred to always wear her armor and pretend to be Arthur's knight and whatnot. It doesn't go into the nitty gritty of how Merlin gave Arthur male parts and Morgan banged her sister, but it covers Mordred passing as male.

    It also extends to one of Mordred's other noble phantasms, her armor. Notice how no one seems to know who Mordred is unless they've seen her without her helmet? Its because no one can use magical/servant skills to identify Mordred without seeing her face/body, including Ruler. Its seems likely that Mordred, in the past, was rarely if not ever without her armor on.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Its seems likely that Mordred, in the past, was rarely if not ever without her armor on.
    This is what the various other books of the Fate Stay Night universe says about Mordred so you are correct.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Series was awesome fun. It's exactly that right Fate tone. When it really gets into it after every episode I just wanted to squeal 'THAT WAS SO COOL' before putting on the next one.

    I mean, it's no /Zero, there are the usual array of things I could nitpick if I had the mind to, but it's still a really good execution of its concept. Characters are awesome, art direction is awesome, voice acting is awesome, the misinterpretation I had when I misheard 'Chiron' as 'Charon' was awesome, can't wait for the next serason.
    You can pack your bags, buy your ticket, take your train
    You don't have to wait a day.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    It was Shishigou's vision of Mordred's past where you hear Morgan telling Mordred to always wear her armor and pretend to be Arthur's knight and whatnot. It doesn't go into the nitty gritty of how Merlin gave Arthur male parts and Morgan banged her sister, but it covers Mordred passing as male.
    Thank you, that clears it up for me.

    It also extends to one of Mordred's other noble phantasms, her armor. Notice how no one seems to know who Mordred is unless they've seen her without her helmet? Its because no one can use magical/servant skills to identify Mordred without seeing her face/body, including Ruler. Its seems likely that Mordred, in the past, was rarely if not ever without her armor on.
    Huh. Odd then how quickly she takes to walking around in pretty skimpy clothing. I mean, obviously she can't wear her big bulky armor if she's trying to pass unnoticed on the street, but she seems remarkably comfortable without her armor given that backstory.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Huh. Odd then how quickly she takes to walking around in pretty skimpy clothing. I mean, obviously she can't wear her big bulky armor if she's trying to pass unnoticed on the street, but she seems remarkably comfortable without her armor given that backstory.
    From what i recall of Mordreds personality, shes a lot like Astolpho, shes not a known giver of craps.

    On another note Vlad is amazing and needs more time to be amazing. Sadly his master is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    From what i recall of Mordreds personality, shes a lot like Astolpho, shes not a known giver of craps.
    Mordred now has the chance to go without her armor and be herself...plus she really only sees other Servants as a threat to herself (and even then not really). She ain't going to give no craps about wearing her armor if she doesn't have to. I am sad that they didn't include one little humorous scene though that explains the origin of Mordred's civilian skivvies...and that being that Shishigou is a cheap bastard who didn't want to buy more/something more expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    On another note Vlad is amazing and needs more time to be amazing. Sadly his master is a tool.
    I feel for Darnic...even if he takes a dive off the deep end when his goal is finally in reach and becomes a massive tool in the process. Cause Vlad is awesome and figures out a good method of fighting the massively ball of power that is Karna that has a good chance of succeeding, which is not a thing many others can claim.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Mordred now has the chance to go without her armor and be herself...plus she really only sees other Servants as a threat to herself (and even then not really). She ain't going to give no craps about wearing her armor if she doesn't have to. I am sad that they didn't include one little humorous scene though that explains the origin of Mordred's civilian skivvies...and that being that Shishigou is a cheap bastard who didn't want to buy more/something more expensive.



    I feel for Darnic...even if he takes a dive off the deep end when his goal is finally in reach and becomes a massive tool in the process. Cause Vlad is awesome and figures out a good method of fighting the massively ball of power that is Karna that has a good chance of succeeding, which is not a thing many others can claim.
    What was Vlads plan apart from being massively OP while on home soil?

    New episode in which Rider kicks massive amounts of ass, I don't know why all the love in this series is for the Lancers when he is around. Although I will admit a personal preference towards Greek heroes especially those from the Iliad.
    Spoiler
    Show

    We also finally get a lancer who gets to die without being horribly screwed over.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fate/Apocrypha

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    What was Vlads plan apart from being massively OP while on home soil?
    Do you need a plan beyond being massively OP on your home soil? Plus, the entire war is on his soil
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-12-10 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •