New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/PoW/SoM Edition II: Electric Boogaloo

Khwaja Malak calls out the position of the two gnolls, but otherwise holds his ground. (Aura-keeping)
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Blood from the last gnoll slowly dripping from his knife, Alssariq sights another flutter in the air and leaps towards it with blade raised.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Moving up to the gnoll on the left.

Scout - (1d20+13)[21] If this beats DC 10 + the Gnoll's CR, they take a -2 to AC and I gain a +2 to AC vs its attacks.
    Counter Punch if the gnoll tries to attack, blowing martial focus on Jolt Counter.
    Attack - (1d20+13)[30] Damage - (5d6+13)[27] and if it hits the target takes a -2 to attacks with one arm.
    As per usual, +1 AC and if they miss Alssariq gets an attack.
    Attack - (1d20+13)[27] Damage - (1d6+5)[9]

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan squints. With Malak giving him the general direction he could just barely determine where to aim and the gnoll woman crumples in a screaming mound of fire. On the other side of the room, the final gnoll and 'Riq exchange a vicious cross counter, the gnoll now lying dead at his feet. Before he can celebrate however, Alssariq looks don and sees a huge gash across his gut and takes 6 more damage from the wounds that are still bleeding. In fact, you've lost a lot more blood than you realize as you start to feel faint as the 6 other bleed damage that you forgot you had (and not that the GM forgot to mention) all catch up to you. (You probably want to deal with that sooner rather than later. Don't worry about it during this cutscene, though.)

After a few more seconds, you see Lark running out of one of the barracks you saw earlier, a bow and quiver now hanging off her back. She looks at the bodies. "I only count 3 bodies, they sent 6 after you. Keep your eyes open!" Once she is assured that they were swayed by Malak's tricks. she looks a bit apprehensive, but nods regardless. She turns to Goma and kisses him, but pulls herself back. "Listen, I don't know how long it will be until one of the Carrion King's guys finds us, but here's the deal. Hgark is dead." You recognize the name as that of the gnoll leader who allied with Almah all those months ago. "He wanted to keep clear of the Carrion King, but the clan was split on whether we should join or not. THat's when his brother Ransk made his move, stabbing him in the back and stealing control of the clan. He's totally convinced that the Carrion King is unstoppable and that they will be all but kings if they join him and has taken to maiming anyone who disagrees with him."

"I was able to-" She looks down and pauses for a fraction of a second, but that silence speaks volumes "-convince him to spare me the worst of it by using "us" as a bargaining chip, but that's obviously gone now." She looks Goma deeply in the eye before continuing. "One way or another, my clan is now dead to me. I'll pray to whoever you want me to for your victory, but I can't risk staying. I'm going to go northeast and go to Iemos.* It'll take me about a week or so to get their over the mountains, but I don't want to be anywhere near the river when the Carrion King begins his move. Once I'm there, I'll wait a week for you. If you somehow pull of the miracle, I'll meet you there and we'll be together; no more of the long-distance ****. You and me, wherever you want, Even in town if it'll make you happy. But if you don't" a wry grin plasters her face, though you know it's only a front. "I'll head northeast, get a place, eat good food, find some new guy to @#$% all night and maybe raise some cubs. If you want in on this, you'd better win!" She gives him one last, long kiss goodbye and heads on up the stairs.

What's the plan?

Spoiler: DC 15 Kn Local or DC 20 Kn Geography
    Show
    Iemos is a small plain of tall soft grasses. It's about 25 miles from Kelmarane as the crow flies, but getting around the mountains mean's its more likely 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

"As if anyone else could measure up after being with me." Goma smiles.

He settles into a serious attitude, takes her hand, and continues. "One week, it's a date. Stay safe and maybe we can deal with Ransk later. I liked Hgark."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+10)[19]
    While I'm at it spend a swift action to go back to Snapping Turtle Stance and a move action to draw a potion with the free hand.

Turning to the rest of the group Goma says "Sorry I wasn't much help dealing with invisible foes. I'm ready to head on when the rest of you are.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

While Lark and Goma are busy, Rowan takes the time to walk up to Riq to say a few encouraging words and pat him on the shoulder. Normally this wouldn't be very comforting considering Riq has a gaping bleeding wound, but the the soft glow on Rowan's hand shows that his is speaking more than platitudes as the wound knits back together (Rather uncomfortably for Riq, but Rowan's specialty is making wounds not healing them as can be seen from the still smoldering Gnoll nearby). "Might want to ask Akaash for a long term fix," Rowan mentions to Riq as Goma and Lark finishes up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cure on Riq for (1d8+6)[7] HP
    Last edited by bcool999; 2018-04-27 at 06:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash lends additional healing, with the pleasant bonus of getting him away from the romantic discussion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    fast healing 1 for 4 minutes on Riq. Anyone else need a hit?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

The Water Prince was unharmed in the battle, yet he extends an apology, "I admit I was flustered when we were attacked by invisible creatures. I kept dodging and parrying as quickly as I could like my fencing teacher taught me, but I didn't want to attack blindly unless one hit me or was deflected by my blade. At least then I could have had some tactile contact."

He doesn't have any input on where to go next.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

8. - Top - End - #398

"Just in case you were curious," says Khwaja Malak...
    Spoiler: Iemos
    Show
    A small plain of tall, soft grasses amid the dusty hills of the Brazen Peaks, Iemos is the name of both the grassland and the 40-foot-tall date tree that stands at the plain’s heart. It is said that this is where the hero Jonnaphar Ahallt fell after slaying the blue wyrm Daghov, and that the tree sprang from the dragonslayer’s corpse. Those with the ability to speak with plants fid the tree most willing to converse. Iemos shares the noble heart of the hero Jonnaphar and seeks to protect all peaceful creatures who would rest near it.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-04-28 at 12:38 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

"I say we go north." Rowan suggests to the group, "Better to clear the floor before moving on or trying to squeeze through such a narrow passage."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Heading up the corridor, you notice that one side of it has smooth stone, but the other is very roughly hewn; clearly the construction was never fully finished as you can see the roughness continues a bit afterwards on the other side, too. Walking past the smooth wall, you see that there's a room on the smooth side; clearly getting the room intact was the higher priority.

In the room, there is an odd mosaic on the wall, but it's of less immediate importance as the rooms inhabitants: six humans, dressed in rags and holding sticks and two gnolls, each with a whip in one hand and a falchion in the other. Ass soon as they see the party, the crack their whips and order the humans to attack!

There's a slight problem; you see, in the gnolls' haste to attack, he acted before the entire party was down the hall. As such, only Goma, Akaash and 'Riq can see the bad guys. The rest of the party knows there's trouble, but can't act on it because they can't see it yet. Also, there are rocks of various size all over the place; any square with at least one visible-on-the-map rock in it is considered difficult terrain. You do get to act first, so that's nice.

Lay on!

Spoiler: Map
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma shouts to the rest of the group "Two gnolls, six humans!" and rushes to the nearest gnoll, letting his shield and hide protect him along the way.

Spoiler: combat
    Show
    Move action: move 20ft closer to the nearest gnoll. Provokes AOOs from two humans assuming they aren't flat footed.
    Swift action: move the last 5ft to be adjacent to the gnoll with Tactical Rush. Provokes AOOs from another two humans.
    Standard action: Flurry Strike with the tower shield.
    AOOs: Use as needed for Active Defense.

Shield 1: (1d20+9)[23], (3d6+8)[17]
    Shield 2: (1d20+9)[26], (3d6+8)[15]
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2018-04-28 at 08:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

When Rafe moves forward a few steps, he sees the big opening to the north. So, he continues with a combat hustle to the northeast of his current corridor, hoping to see a wraparound.
    Spoiler
    Show
    digiman, please move me 90' around to the northeat, then west with best discretionary movement possible.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

13. - Top - End - #403

Khwaja Malak adopts the aura of serendipity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (oratory) (1d20+14)[30] ... concentration right now.
    * Allies: +1 luck to attack rolls, ability/ skill checks, & saves
    * Enemies: -1 luck penalty attack rolls, ability/ skill checks, & saves
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-04-29 at 01:35 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan
    HP 40/40
    AC 19

Stepping forward enough to see the situation, Rowan decides to play support rather than directly immolating their enemies. With a wave of his staff and words of power on his lips, Rowan attempts to warp time around the furthest Gnoll, slowing it.

Show
    Move action to move up to the doorway and see into the room.
    Standard Action: Alter Time: Slow, on the gnoll not attacked by Goma. Will Save DC 18 or be Staggered until Rowan stops concentrating.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq gives thanks for the healing with a few muffled grunts, not too inclined to be eloquent while his stomach is knitting itself back together. At the sight of the slave-driver's assault, he just about has to stop himself from rolling his eyes at the gnolls' desperation. Did they really think a few slaves were going to stop them?

Knife drawn, he darts into the room and slides under the first slave's guard only to leap up and onto one of the rocks.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Total Defense and then move action into the room.
    Acrobatics - (1d20+19)[35] (To avoid an AoO)
    Also, the usual +1 AC and an attack if they miss:
    Attack - (1d20+13)[31] Damage - (1d6+5)[7]

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash runs into the room, stepping into the air to clear the slave's head and take a position beside Goma, kicking down at a gnoll as he lands.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move (ground and flight)
    acrobatics to avoid AOO from the slave (1d20+17)[20] (includes aura)

attack w/ energy blade [roll]1d20+10[roll] 27 rolled on Discord (no aura, out of range)
    damage (1d6+6)[7] + (5d6)[19] nonlethal
    trip (1d20+14)[22]

slave has to make a DC 18 Will or sickened 1 round
    Last edited by stack; 2018-04-30 at 11:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Goma rushes in, a slew of clubs bouncing off his armor and slams the first gnoll with his shield, flooring him. The Water Prince circled around while Akaash and Riq dash into the fray and attack the remaining gnoll, who was knocked to the ground (While it did make its save against the slow, it failed against the sicken and the trip).

The gnoll scrambles to his feet and avoids most of the ire from the three men around him as he gets to his feet and retreats. The humans swarm 'Riq, Akaash and Goma, but only Akaash gets hit, though it was for a solid one for 6 damage. A sixth slave tries to hit Rowan, but totally misses.

Care to clean up the scraps?
    Spoiler: Updated Map
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma roars and takes a defensive stance.

"Stand down! lf you let us take care of this gnoll, you'll all be free!"

Spoiler: combat
    Show
    Swift Action: Encouraging Roar.

No other action really. Total Defense prohibts AOOs so Goma's just tanking hits right now. Using AOOs for Active Defense on adjacent allies.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan
    HP 40/40
    AC 19

Eyes narrowing at the human slave before him, Rowan takes a deep breath and says, "I too was a slave once, so I know the fear of the lash. That is the only reason why I will forgive your attack on me this time." Rowan walks past the man attempting to sidestep any retaliation for doing so before sending a gout of flame at the remaining gnoll.

Should he succeed he turns back to the man and says, "Continue your attacks, and you will learn that fire is more painful than whips."

Show
    Acrobatics to move past the man without AOO: (1d20+10)[24]
    Rowan will move 2 squares diagonally down and to the left, using 1 use of Agile Feet from the Travel Domain to ignore difficult terrain this round. (7/8 remaining uses)

Standard Action: Searing Blast on Gnoll: (1d20+8)[9] (Luck included) Damage: (6d8+6)[41] Fire Damage

20. - Top - End - #410

Khwaja Malak comes up behind Akaash and yells out, "They speak aright. We shall end this gnoll and begin your freedom."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Akaash is baby blue, right? "Behind" him = 1 square east. Whatever you wish to use for communication right now. Remember he gets Inspiration on his interpersonal skills.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash follows the gnoll, vaulting over the heads of the slaves into a flipping kick."I think it is better to show them. they are free."
    Spoiler
    Show
    fly speed is nifty. I think he can reach the gnoll with 15, so the humans will have to save vs nausea Will DC 18

acrobatics (1d20+16)[24] to avoid AOO

attack (1d20+12)[23] (encouraging roar, no aura)
    damage (1d6+8)[9](encouraging roar) + (5d6)[12] nonlethal
    trip (1d20+16)[35] (encouraging roar)

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Rafe delays to see what the slaves do ...
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

The gnoll manages to gracefully sidestep Rowan's blast, looking somehow majestic as it effortlessly dodges it. It looks majestic as it walks headfirst into Akaash's oncoming feet, his head snapping back in a sickening crunch. The slaves all drop their weapons and begin cowering where they stand; you get the feeling they want to run, but with a party member at every door, they are afraid to try.

What will you do?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma resumes his human form and addresses the former slaves. "Don't be afraid, we aren't here to hurt you. We're here to take down the Carrion King. There's another group of escaped slaves nearby and they may still have food and water to share."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash adds a point quickly, "If you can tell us anything useful about where to find the leaders here, that would make freeing you that much quicker."

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

After a moment of awkward silence Goma turns to the Khwaja.

"Umm, maybe they'll listen to you. I probably made a bad impression with the fur and such." he mumbles the last part to no one in particular.

27. - Top - End - #417

Khwaja Malak walks in, a strange, perfectly-formed slender man with a welcoming countenance. "Friends, all, for you may well be. We have others of your ilk safely ensconced in more protected walls, but not pens or prisons. We have access to food, clean water ... if you wish to come with us, we even offer the chance to strike back at your former keepers. Be bondsmen no more."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

The slaves look at one another before one of them, a young woman with red hair speaks up "I want to believe you. I desperately do. But if we help you , the masters will punish us severely. How do we know you can stop them?"

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

"You don't need to help us, just stay out of the way and don't warn them. We can get you food and water once we have finished or when we pull back to rest."

30. - Top - End - #420

Khwaja Malak just nods to his colleague (Akaash) and gestures to him while looking at the slaves.
    Show