1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default When did the term "app" come into mainstream popularity?

So I found myself thinking(because there's not a ton else I can do while almost unable to walk from borderline pneumonia) and wondered... when did "App" enter the mainstream in usage over terms like "program" "[type of media it is]" or "application"? I could swear it wasn't always used as much as it is now.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: When did the term "app" come into mainstream popularity?

I put it down to smartphones, though it may have always been that way in the Apple ecosystem and I just never noticed as a win/*nix person. But I definitely saw a shift in slang from program to app after the iphone took off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So I found myself thinking(because there's not a ton else I can do while almost unable to walk from borderline pneumonia) and wondered... when did "App" enter the mainstream in usage over terms like "program" "[type of media it is]" or "application"? I could swear it wasn't always used as much as it is now.
    Impression wise I'd put it around the smartphone.

You had applet when they were embedded applications in webpages (a few years before). Which presumably suggests that the contraction was on the surface.
    But googles N,grams seems to suggest app has been in decline since 1995, so their may be more to it than that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I put it down to smartphones, though it may have always been that way in the Apple ecosystem and I just never noticed as a win/*nix person. But I definitely saw a shift in slang from program to app after the iphone took off.
    Muchly agreed. I didn't use it until the smart phone era, but I do wonder if the Mac users were ahead of the game. It could have been a programmer thing too, we usually have a few of those on the forums.

Also, get better! I hope you are posting from a warm and comfortable position, missy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it appeared shortly after the smartphone, in what must have been 2007-8. I think it remained mostly confined to smartphones until tablets started to blur the lines after 2010. By 2012 it was sufficiently mainstream that Windows 8 called its programs "apps", although to be fair Windows 8 was trying desperately hard to be cool.

I must admit I don't like it. Apps for phones are one thing but they are generally slimmed-down, less flexible versions of traditional programs with a siloed approach to software use and I can't help but suspect that the drive to call everything an "app" will lead to acceptance of a similar, crappier approach on desktop programs.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

For computer applications, apparently the first recorded use was 1985. (Source, but ultimately from OED)

But from the same article, we see that the word has existed long before, shortening the same word, but with a different meaning.

Job Application -> Job App

When classified ads were big, and still charging by the letter to post them, saving 8 characters was significant. I wouldn't doubt we have a lot of shorthand from this practice.

But regardless, shortening computer applications to "apps" wouldn't be a huge jump from that usage.

As for widespread mainstream usage? Probably the iPhone, when they decided their shop would be an App Store. But it was definitely used before, if only when space was precious.
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2017-11-10 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

I'd say it was with the "There's an app for that" ad campaign. I remember getting really annoyed with the term around the 2009-2010 time frame, because my roommates at the time thought my overreactions were funny. I know the term was probably around earlier, but I think that's when it really took off and became a mainstream thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since you specifically asked about popular use, GoogleTrends tends to provide a nice indication for this kind of thing. While it is of course a biased data source, it is usually a good approximation.

As we can see from the result for the search term "app", it started some time after 2008 but took a while to catch on.
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    I'd say it was with the "There's an app for that" ad campaign. I remember getting really annoyed with the term around the 2009-2010 time frame, because my roommates at the time thought my overreactions were funny. I know the term was probably around earlier, but I think that's when it really took off and became a mainstream thing.
    I believe this to be the right answer. "App" might have been used in computer circles before that, but the "There is an App for that" campaign inserted the word into the lexicon of pretty much the entire anglophone world.

GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

App used interchangeably with software or program.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aspi View Post
    Since you specifically asked about popular use, GoogleTrends tends to provide a nice indication for this kind of thing. While it is of course a biased data source, it is usually a good approximation.

As we can see from the result for the search term "app", it started some time after 2008 but took a while to catch on.
    Add "killer" to that (as in the popular term "killer app"), and you get a modest but relatively strong showing even in 2004, which is the earliest date for which there is Google data. The term "killer app" dates back to at least 1987, although it is difficult to tell when it entered popular use.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Add "killer" to that (as in the popular term "killer app"), and you get a modest but relatively strong showing even in 2004, which is the earliest date for which there is Google data. The term "killer app" dates back to at least 1987, although it is difficult to tell when it entered popular use. (emphasis is mine)
    You cannot draw any conclusion about absolute strength/frequency since the values are normalized to percentual values (100 is always the maximum value for that particular search term only. The only conclusions that you can draw is a relatively constant use from 2004, the fact that it was more popular then than it is now, and a spike in 2010. You cannot claim that is it strong overall from such a statistic. In general, you should be extremely careful when analyzing multi-term search expressions in comparison to single search terms without knowing precisely how the statistics are normalized (as you can see from this combined result).
    Last edited by aspi; 2017-11-15 at 06:51 AM.
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfPirate

Depends on what you mean by app.

It's always been short for applications. However, after smartphones it has changed into meaning scaled down applications (IMNSHO). So a scaled down word is appropriate.

I'm going to say "smart phones", probably the iPhone kicking it off (not the first smartphone but it did really shake up the market).

Around the millennium at uni when we were thinking about e- and m-commerce and how it would be there was always talk about killer apps, but then more generally, although already then there was a trend of diminiuation. It's not until the smart phone "revolution" when smart phoens got apps on them and lots of people had these smart phones that app becomes a mainstream thing.

Not sure what that commercial is about but I suspect it fits timewise.

Personally I prefer to use application fora proper program and app for the scaled down featuregimped things tablets and phones run. If I sound bitter it may be because I got tricked by a Skype app and we couldn't figure out why nothing looked like it should when trying to set up a meeting. Stupid apps.