New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Making the shadiest character?

So thinking of setting up a shadow sorcerer and I'm wondering if a 3 or 4 dip in to Gloom:Ranger would be a good idea? Also, just for the sake of sake, I'm planning on the dark elf variant of the half elf to get a little extra magic.
    Also, is there any reason that the dark elf variant of the half elf wouldn't qualify for the half elf magic feat?

EDIT:
    Okay, so a gloomstalker/shadow monk would probably be a good Multiclass
    Hexblade/Shadowsorcerer would also be good
    both would be fairly shady, yeah? What levels would y'all recommend? Which should be the dominant number and home many levels ya think?
    I was thinking Hexblade:Blade4/Sorcerer:Shadow16 for the proficiencies so you start with hexblade?
    Monk is just such a good class, I'm not sure I'd want to multiclass out of it...
    Last edited by Trey Bright; 2017-12-08 at 12:28 AM.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 89: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Default Re: Making the shadiest character?

If you are playing AL, then you would be violating the PHB+1 rule. Half-Elf variants are from SCAG; the other options are from Xanathar's. Other than that, a Half-Drow is eligible for the Elven Accuracy feat, but not the Drow High Magic feat. As always, ask your DM. I would probably allow it.

I am curious about your multiclassing choices. Are you rolling your stats? The build you are describing is quite MAD (CHA, DEX, WIS all over 13). I am assuming that you want Gloom Stalker for the invisibility to darkvision? Darkvision can't see through the Sorc's magical Darkness, so that's quite a dip for a somewhat redundant ability.

Warlock, Bard, or Paladin have better synergy with your Shadow Sorc. If you multiclass Hexblade-lock, then you will be SAD, & get weapon/armor proficiencies to Gish if you so desire.

If you tell us a bit more about your campaign and party composition, we may be able to steer you in a better direction.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2017-12-07 at 05:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

If playing a home game, and not AL, a dark elf, gloom stalker, shadow monk is a pretty shady combo. Ranger 3/ monk 17 gives you enough ki to do the fun monk stuff, and just enough ranger to go well with it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

A Skulker (feat) Actor (feat) whispering snark from the dark. Castin' shade all day!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by opaopajr View Post
    A Skulker (feat) Actor (feat) whispering snark from the dark. Castin' shade all day!
    Make it a Bard so your snark can be vicious mockery and cutting words.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    If you are playing AL, then you would be violating the PHB+1 rule. Half-Elf variants are from SCAG; the other options are from Xanathar's. Other than that, a Half-Drow is eligible for the Elven Accuracy feat, but not the Drow High Magic feat. As always, ask your DM. I would probably allow it.

I am curious about your multiclassing choices. Are you rolling your stats? The build you are describing is quite MAD (CHA, DEX, WIS all over 13). I am assuming that you want Gloom Stalker for the invisibility to darkvision? Darkvision can't see through the Sorc's magical Darkness, so that's quite a dip for a somewhat redundant ability.

Warlock, Bard, or Paladin have better synergy with your Shadow Sorc. If you multiclass Hexblade-lock, then you will be SAD, & get weapon/armor proficiencies to Gish if you so desire.

If you tell us a bit more about your campaign and party composition, we may be able to steer you in a better direction.
    Right now this is mostly brainstorming character builds for a homebrew game. I'm going to be running my first game as a dm this summer with some friends who have experience with 3.5, but not 5e. I've played quite a bit of 5e and have all the books (not the modules, just the player/dm books) and I'm thinking about concepts that I my players are interested in, or if they aren't picked up, that could make interesting NPC's.

I suppose if I were playing gloom-shadow, I'd need to start as a ranger for the proficiencies, then just choose stats that would allow me to immidately mc in to SS.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 89: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You need to slip in a shadow monk in there somewhere. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not, no. Ranger, even with a subclass as good as Gloom Stalker, doesn't give you anything that's worth the loss of so much casting progression. I mean, not much is, but you're not getting even the synergy of Paladin or Warlock.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Shadow Sorcerer and Hexblade have great thematic synergy, since both draw their power from the Shadowfell.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

For the shadiest character see if your DM will let you home brew a treent.

Sorry. Had to be done. I'll be quiet now.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Thematically they seem to fit like a glove. Mechanically, not so much because...

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    Darkvision can't see through the Sorc's magical Darkness, so that's quite a dip for a somewhat redundant ability.
    This. Magical Darkness for just 2 sorc points that let's you see through it will almost always trump the Gloomstalker ability. You're dependent on natural darkness. It's very nice--don't get me wrong--and will be useful. It's just being able to create darkness that only you (generally) can see through as needed is generally better. I also think that Gloomstalker ability is going to not work nearly as much at higher levels when there are more things with blindsight, Devil's Sight, True Sight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Probably not, no. Ranger, even with a subclass as good as Gloom Stalker, doesn't give you anything that's worth the loss of so much casting progression. I mean, not much is, but you're not getting even the synergy of Paladin or Warlock.
    Tend to agree, especially for the reason given above, i.e. because you already have darkness that conceals you. If you do it, I would say make a sort of melee sorc build so that it has more synergy.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic View Post
    Shadow Sorcerer and Hexblade have great thematic synergy, since both draw their power from the Shadowfell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    For the shadiest character see if your DM will let you home brew a treent.

Sorry. Had to be done. I'll be quiet now.
    lol Someone on reddit recommeded the exact same thing.
    Last edited by Trey Bright; 2017-12-08 at 12:18 AM.