Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

My favorite scene comes at the end of this very book.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Aes Sedai turned that cool gaze on Mat. “And you thought it was done? You are ta'veren, Mat, a thread more crucial to the Pattern than most, and the sounder of the Horn of Valere. Nothing is done for you, yet.”

They were all looking at him. Nynaeve sadly, Egwene as though she had never seen him before, Elayne as if she expected him to change into someone else. Rhuarc had a certain respect in his eyes, though Mat would just as soon have done without it, all things considered.

“Well, of course,” he told them. Burn me! “I understand.” I wonder how soon Thom will be fit to travel? Time to run. Maybe Perrin will come with us. “You can count on me.”

Not the prettiest prose in the series, or the most important moment, but it just captures the essence of the character so perfectly.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-12-06 at 06:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    My favorite scene comes at the end of this very book.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Aes Sedai turned that cool gaze on Mat. “And you thought it was done? You are ta'veren, Mat, a thread more crucial to the Pattern than most, and the sounder of the Horn of Valere. Nothing is done for you, yet.”

They were all looking at him. Nynaeve sadly, Egwene as though she had never seen him before, Elayne as if she expected him to change into someone else. Rhuarc had a certain respect in his eyes, though Mat would just as soon have done without it, all things considered.

“Well, of course,” he told them. Burn me! “I understand.” I wonder how soon Thom will be fit to travel? Time to run. Maybe Perrin will come with us. “You can count on me.”

It's just so very...Mat
    Then there's also suin's description of her uncle. It's very Matt. No matter what you say he'll squirm and try to duck it, but ultimately he does the right thing.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    Then there's also suin's description of her uncle. It's very Matt. No matter what you say he'll squirm and try to duck it, but ultimately he does the right thing.
    Eh maybe but,
    Spoiler
    Show
    lets take the formation of his band of the red hand. He was NOT doing the right thing so much as trying to escape, and constantly being dragged into more fights and gathering more men under his command. Though too be fair I think it STARTED with him basically saying, "Dammit, i gotta warn these guys they are walking into an ambush, then I can leave."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Eh maybe but,
    Spoiler
    Show
    lets take the formation of his band of the red hand. He was NOT doing the right thing so much as trying to escape, and constantly being dragged into more fights and gathering more men under his command. Though too be fair I think it STARTED with him basically saying, "Dammit, i gotta warn these guys they are walking into an ambush, then I can leave."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except every time he decides to do the wrong thing his conscience gets the better of him and drags him back in kicking and screaming to do the right thing. That's why his character is so hilarious and likable to me. Everyone thinks he's a useless scoundrel, even Mat, but when the chips are down he's the first one to put himself into danger to save someone else.

Not even Rand and Perrin are as selfless as Mat, despite the fact that all three would consider Mat the most selfish person they know.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except every time he decides to do the wrong thing his conscience gets the better of him and drags him back in kicking and screaming to do the right thing. That's why his character is so hilarious and likable to me. Everyone thinks he's a useless scoundrel, even Mat, but when the chips are down he's the first one to put himself into danger to save someone else.

Not even Rand and Perrin are as selfless as Mat, despite the fact that all three would consider Mat the most selfish person they know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Warning Spoilers Ahead
    The thing about Mat is that he is one of the only characters who doesn't buy into honor validating violence. Mat generally tries to avoid fights and conflict, and instead prefers to gamble, drink, and have sex. Other characters are much more likely to see violence and conflict as unavoidable or even desirable. Lan trying to get himself killed in battle, Elayne starting a civil war in Andor to establish herself as a strong leader, channelers who use their power to bully people, Nyneava... being Nyneava. The list goes on. This lack of 'honor' makes Mat ironically one of the most reasonable and considerate characters in the book. There is a particularly great scene at the end of this book where Mat frees Egwene, Elayne, and Nyneava from their cell in the Stone of Tear only for the three of them to turn around and attack him when he points out that they should be trying to escape, not hunting down their captors for revenge. Mat is not into revenge or reputation or 'honor'. He just wants people to get along and leave him alone.

On the subject of Sanderson's prose I'll actually come to his defense and say while he can't set a scene to save his life, his action scene have a rhythm that no other fantasy author that I have read can match. The 4 on 2 dual in Words of Radiance still gets my heart pounding whenever I read it.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2017-12-06 at 08:12 PM.