New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Not as bad as Goodkind is a very low bar to clear.
    I dunno man. Rape fantasy and prolific nihilism seems like a pretty lofty bar for aspiring authors to clear.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2018-02-27 at 11:13 PM.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    I dunno man. Rape fantasy and prolific nihilism seems like a pretty lofty bar for aspiring authors to clear.
    Maybe if those aspiring authors are nihilists who fantasize about rape all day. Otherwise, not really. Also Sword of Truth's incredibly hamfisted "philosophy" is Obectivism, not Nihilism.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2018-02-26 at 03:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Maybe if those aspiring authors are nihilists who fantasize about rape all day. Otherwise, not really.
    Maybe I should edit an /s in there since I'm on mobile and can't do colors. Poe's law and all that.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2018-02-26 at 03:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I like Eddings Belgariad/Malloreaon as a classic "Heroes Journey" and his Elenium/Tamuli Books as an also classical "Lower Level Fantasy with some Depth" (Not counting later Tamuli regardin Low Fantasy^^).

Are they Masterpieces? Nope. But they are well written, fit" their themes, and have good humour.
    Yes, i do think his Elenium serie is close to his crowning work. I initially liked it a lot.
    I just grew to dislike them later on because it seemed like there were to many cases of the heroes not being much better than the Villains, but newer getting called out for it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, there were things that I thought Sanderson tied up too quickly. There were a lot of characters that, it seemed to me, he didn't know how their stories were supposed to end, so he just killed them off quickly, more-or-less "offscreen". Don't get me wrong; I wanted things to finally be wrapped up, but it seemed like some of the characters' arcs just ended abruptly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As lord_khaine said, there was so much left that some things had to be cut short. Were Robert Jordan still alive, it's entirely possible the series would still not be finished. I swear he added three new plot lines and one new POV character for every story arc he actually wrapped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

If you look at the last few books Jordan actually wrote, he wrapped up quite a few plot lines, and was clearly about to wrap up others. He probably would have ended up stretching things into two or three more books than Sanderson did, but the ending would actually be worth reading if he wrote it, so that's a fair trade off.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As lord_khaine said, there was so much left that some things had to be cut short. Were Robert Jordan still alive, it's entirely possible the series would still not be finished. I swear he added three new plot lines and one new POV character for every story arc he actually wrapped up.
    Have you seen the interview with his publisher?

Jordan originally pitched this AS A TRILOGY. His publisher laughed and said "I know how you write, lets start with a six book contract and go from from there."

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you seen the interview with his publisher?

Jordan originally pitched this AS A TRILOGY. His publisher laughed and said "I know how you write, lets start with a six book contract and go from from there."
    I have not. That's absolutely hilarious!
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

I have not. That's absolutely hilarious!
    I thought so as well!

In the end I think the series is better for it. Gives the characters room to breath and regress on personal development. I'm the end it makes for believable characters IMO.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought so as well!

In the end I think the series is better for it. Gives the characters room to breath and regress on personal development. I'm the end it makes for believable characters IMO.
    I agree up to a point, though I do think things got out of hand.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

I agree up to a point, though I do think things got out of hand.
    Where at? I definitely got frustrated with multiple characters, but the failures where believable and backsliding was expected. I never felt like Jordan ever ignored or reset progress arbitrarily.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: On character regression
    Show
    Perrin. Too many times from both authors.

Characters are almost always rewarded for working with each other, just generally trusting each other or at least putting sexism and so on aside, so it's frustrating that the reset button is hit so often especially when most of the main characters know it's the end of the world and all.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    Spoiler: On character regression
    Show
    Perrin. Too many times from both authors.

Characters are almost always rewarded for working with each other, just generally trusting each other or at least putting sexism and so on aside, so it's frustrating that the reset button is hit so often especially when most of the main characters know it's the end of the world and all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure that it's backsliding, though. You are correct that the story shows that things go better when the characters trust each other and work together, but OTOH, I'm not sure that any of them are self-aware enough to realize that when they have succeeded because they did work together. Instead of "hey, things went how we wanted them to go because we trusted each other to come up with a plan and work together to make it work" their attitudes are more, "hey, things went how we wanted because I came up with a good plan and pulled the others, kicking and screaming, into following it".

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Not attitudes that are entirely unrealistic. Jordan isn't trying to write a manga about the power of friendship, he's trying to write believable characters with flaws.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I forget. Did Min ever actually tell anybody about the "sparks fighting the darkness" vision from early on in the series? Like, that's an in-universe case of somebody with special knowledge basically saying "Work together, dummies!"
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I forget. Did Min ever actually tell anybody about the "sparks fighting the darkness" vision from early on in the series? Like, that's an in-universe case of somebody with special knowledge basically saying "Work together, dummies!"
    Spoiler: Sparks in the Darkness
    Show
    She told Rand.

But Min is extremely unusual in the series in that she (a) is reasonably self-aware and (b) doesn't put her own ego first. That's why she can actually fit in with other characters rather than butting heads with them.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, she tells Rand, and I'm pretty sure she tells him in The Eye of the World (away from books or I'd double-check). I don't remember her telling anyone else.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Spoiler: Sparks in the Darkness
    Show
    She told Rand.

But Min is extremely unusual in the series in that she (a) is reasonably self-aware and (b) doesn't put her own ego first. That's why she can actually fit in with other characters rather than butting heads with them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is why she is also one of the very few relatively likable characters.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Where at? I definitely got frustrated with multiple characters, but the failures where believable and backsliding was expected. I never felt like Jordan ever ignored or reset progress arbitrarily.
    Oops, that was not the clearest I could have been. I'm not sure whether it's necessary, but I'm going back into a spoiler tag just in case, so I don't ruin anything for AES.

Spoiler
    Show

What I was referring to "getting out of hand" was not character backsliding, but rather the ever-increasing number of books, the constant adding of more characters, more points of view, and more plot threads. I am not exaggerating when I say that if Robert Jordan had survived, I believe the series would have been at least 20 books long and possibly not have reached its conclusion yet. I feel like he was chronically unable to resolve one plot without adding at least two more.

I'm not really able to point to specifics because I've only read through the series once, years ago, and don't own most of the books. But off the top of my head, there were chapters from the perspectives of:

Rand
    Mat
    Perrin
    Egwene
    Nynaeve
    Elayne
    Moiraine
    Morgase
    Siuan
    Elaida
    Thom
    Gawyn
    Galad
    Aviendha
    Cadsuane
    Verin
    Birgitte
    Faile
    Lan (I'm fairly sure, anyway)
    several of the Forsaken
    several of the Black Ajah
    several other Aes Sedai
    at least one of Mat's lieutenants
    probably one or two Aiel Wise Ones

I mean, come on. Who needs that many POV characters? The only other author I can think of that has that many is George R.R. Martin, but that's because he's always replacing characters that he killed off. Hardly any of the ones I named above died off, so the story got so spread out that by the 9th or 10th book, it felt like you were getting just a chapter or two from each perspective. On at least one occasion I finished a book and thought "for a book so big, how much actually happened in this book."

I enjoyed reading every bit of it (well, other than some of Perrin's constant reluctance to accept his position and Faile... being Faile), but it really felt meandering and like Jordan had lost control of the reins a couple times.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops, that was not the clearest I could have been. I'm not sure whether it's necessary, but I'm going back into a spoiler tag just in case, so I don't ruin anything for AES.

Spoiler
    Show

What I was referring to "getting out of hand" was not character backsliding, but rather the ever-increasing number of books, the constant adding of more characters, more points of view, and more plot threads. I am not exaggerating when I say that if Robert Jordan had survived, I believe the series would have been at least 20 books long and possibly not have reached its conclusion yet. I feel like he was chronically unable to resolve one plot without adding at least two more.

I'm not really able to point to specifics because I've only read through the series once, years ago, and don't own most of the books. But off the top of my head, there were chapters from the perspectives of:

Rand
    Mat
    Perrin
    Egwene
    Nynaeve
    Elayne
    Moiraine
    Morgase
    Siuan
    Elaida
    Thom
    Gawyn
    Galad
    Aviendha
    Cadsuane
    Verin
    Birgitte
    Faile
    several of the Forsaken
    several other Aes Sedai

I mean, come on. Who needs that many POV characters? The only other author I can think of that has that many is George R.R. Martin, but that's because he's always replacing characters that he killed off. Hardly any of the ones I named above died off, so the story got so spread out that by the 9th or 10th book, it felt like you were getting just a chapter or two from each perspective. On at least one occasion I finished a book and thought "for a book so big, how much actually happened in this book."

I enjoyed reading every bit of it (well, other than some of Perrin's constant reluctance to accept his position and Faile... being Faile), but it really felt meandering and like Jordan had lost control of the reins a couple times.

Spoiler: You forgot:
    Show
    Lews Therin
    Jaichim Carridin
    Geofram BornHald
    Padan Fain
    Bayle Domon
    Min
    Pedron Niall
    Suroth Sabelle
    Egeanin Tamarath
    Garet Bryne
    Sevanna
    Romanda Cassin
    Furyk Karede
    Tuon
    Itrualde
    Idrool (Andull, I mean Androl)
    Pevara Tazanovni
    Brigitte

I left out anyone who had fewer than 10k words as a POV and anyone who fell into one of your categories for the sake of brevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rand
    Mat
    Perrin
    Egwene
    Nynaeve
    Elayne
    Moiraine
    Morgase
    Siuan
    Elaida
    Thom
    Gawyn
    Galad
    Aviendha
    Cadsuane
    Verin
    Birgitte
    Faile
    several of the Forsaken
    several other Aes Sedai

Spoiler: GOT
    Show
    As of ADWD, GRRM has killed 4 POV characters, excluding intros and epilogues. Of those, Arys and Quentyn are very minor characters, Leaving Ned, and Catylen (who comes back), making a grand total of 1 1/2 major characters. I would bet that Robert Jordan has killed more of his POVs.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Spoiler: GOT
    Show
    As of ADWD, GRRM has killed 4 POV characters, excluding intros and epilogues. Of those, Arys and Quentyn are very minor characters, Leaving Ned, and Catylen (who comes back), making a grand total of 1 1/2 major characters. I would bet that Robert Jordan has killed more of his POVs.
    Spoiler: ASOIAF
    Show
    You forgot he killed Jon Snow also

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kida View Post
    Show
    You forgot he killed Jon Snow also
    Show
    Jon Snow is going to be resurrected as well and probably in much better condition than Cat was.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I think ASoIaF and WoT both have too many POV characters, regardless of how many are or aren't killed off. It causes problems in both series.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Personally, I think ASoIaF and WoT both have too many POV characters, regardless of how many are or aren't killed off. It causes problems in both series.
    Why exactly does it matter? WoT may have many POVs but not at the same time and most outside of the main cast, say the Emond's fielders, we don't see that much of them really. Consider that we are into book2 or 3 before Mat really gets anything from behind his eyes. It's really an interesting style which gives WoT depth to see stuff from other's perspectives. Somehow I guess that Sword of Truth series don't do that? I don't really see the problem, it's not like it's 13 books each with 13+ POVs in each.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Why exactly does it matter?
    Well it's a question of personal taste (so it doesn't matter, but I thought we were having a conversation...). For me, I don't like the proliferation of POVs in the second half of the WoT. It's gratuitous and jarring, and most of them add very little to the overall story. To be fair, I'd have been less turned off if he didn't keep jumping between POVs mid-chapter, sometimes just for a few lines at a time. That's just unpleasant to read.

And, if you put me on the spot, I'd say it's actually ASoIaF that suffers more from having too many POVs, out of the two series, even though it doesn't have as many overall and sticks to one per chapter.
    Spoiler: Extended ASoIaF thoughts
    Show
    The influx of ironborn and dornish POVs in AFFC really bogged the story down, for me. They were dull, and the stories GRRM was trying to tell with them didn't need to be part of the series. They'd have been better as short stories, sold separately. It didn't help that Dany got stuck in Meereen at about the same time so nothing seemed to be going anywhere. It's notable that the TV show started to really fall apart at this point, as well.

And did we really need Cersei's POV at all?
    I tend to think it'd have been better to keep her inner thoughts (and some of the political events in KL) a mystery. I feel like the books would have been greatly improved by cutting all of her chapters.

Also the prologues and epilogues didn't land with me, except for the first and maybe third books. Not only because of the throwaway POVs, granted, but that was a part of it. If I was editor, I'd have cut them too.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-03-06 at 09:07 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

It seems a little unfair to compare the number of PoV characters between Jordan and Martin anyway when Martin only puts out like 10% of the content Jordan did. If you wanted a fair comparison you could really only look at Jordans first few books, and the numbers would be a lot closer.

Personally I liked the way Jordan's setting evolved from a simple heroes journey to an entire world fighting to save itself. I can see why it isn't for everyone, but I like it.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I liked the way Jordan's setting evolved from a simple heroes journey to an entire world fighting to save itself. I can see why it isn't for everyone, but I like it.
    It is a nice story. Its just a shame Jordan allowed it to progress to far. I think 10 books would have been enough to tell the most epic fantasy story of them all.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It seems a little unfair to compare the number of PoV characters between Jordan and Martin anyway
    Oh, yeah. I don't disagree with that.

And it is nice how Jordan tied in so many different people and locations to the story, I guess. It felt a bit kitchen-sink-ish at times, but the scope and scale of the series is impressive.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    Jon Snow is going to be resurrected as well and probably in much better condition than Cat was.

I was replying to the status of the character at end of Dance.

In general I think that Martin is doing more fake out of POV deaths than actually killing them.
    Even if we don't take Jon and Cat into account:
    Arya - at the end of her chapter in the red wedding she was hit with an axe to the head
    Brienne - was hanged at the end of her chapter
    Davos - reported dead for an entire book
    Bran - in his second POV chapter, fell off the tower (I'm pretty sure you are suppose to think he is dead on first read, at least until you get to the next chapter)
    Theon - I think most people doesn't know he is alive for a couple of books until he pop up as Reek
    Quentyn - there are some tin foil theories he is alive and just burned his hand, and his men just switched him with a burned body.