New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Juggernaut [3.5 class in 30 minutes, by request]

The Juggernaut

A class with practically no out of combat abilities, but which knocks everyone about in combat.

Starting Age: As bard
    Starting Wealth: Double as fighter

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Mailed Fist, Heavy Armour Mastery 1, Juggernaut Trample +1/1d6
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Momentous Rush
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Juggernaut Trample +2/2d6
    4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Heavy Armour Mastery 2
    5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Juggernaut Trample +3/3d6
    6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +5 Touch-ward
    7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +5 Juggernaut Trample +4/4d6
    8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +6 Heavy Armour Mastery 3
    9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +6 Juggernaut Trample +5/5d6
    10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +7 Ablative Plating
    11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +7 Juggernaut Trample +6/6d6
    12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +8 Heavy Armour Mastery 4
    13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +8 Juggernaut Trample +7/7d6
    14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +9 Freedom of Rampage
    15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +9 Juggernaut Trample +8/8d6
    16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +10 Heavy Armour Mastery 5
    17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Juggernaut Trample +9/9d6
    18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Hurling Impact
    19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Juggernaut Trample +10/10d6
    20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Mountain Rush, Heavy Armour Mastery 6
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
    The juggernaut's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex) and Spot (Wis)
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
    The juggernaut is proficient in all simple weapons, with heavy armour, and with shields, including tower shields.

Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun
    A juggernaut gets these bonus feats at first level.

Mailed Fist (Ex)
    A juggernaut gains the benefit of the improved unarmed strike feat for attacks with gauntlets only (though he can also kick with sabatons or plated boots as though they were gauntlents). His gauntlet attacks (including kicks with sabatons or plated boots) deal damage as a monk's unarmed strike does.

Heavy Armour Mastery (Ex)
    A juggernaut is used to wearing heavy armour. He reduces the effective armour check penalty of heavy armour by 1, plus 1 per 4 levels (to a minimum penalty of 0) and increases the effective maximum dexterity bonus by the same number.

Juggernaut Trample (Ex)
    A juggernaut doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity for overruning an enemy. The juggernaut gets a +1 bonus, plus an additional 1 per 2 levels after first, to overrun and bull rush checks, and increases the number of size categories bigger that can be bull rushed or trampled by the same amount. If the juggernaut bull rushes an enemy into a wall, or overruns an enemy and keeps walking over them, then that enemy takes damage as though struck by the juggernaut's gauntlet plus an additional 1d6 damage plus 1d6 points of damage per 2 levels after first (so long as the juggernaut is wearing gauntlets in the case of a bull rush or sabatons or plated boots in case of an overrun).

A juggernaut can also try to run straight through an obstacle during his movement. If he does, the obstacle takes damage equal to the juggernaut's gauntlet damage plus 1d6 plus 1d6 per 2 levels after first, and if that's enough to destroy it, he goes straight through. If not, he slams into the obstacle and stops.

In any case, this ability only functions when the juggernaut wears heavy armour.

Momentous Rush (Ex)
    From second level, a juggernaut's speed isn't reduced for wearing heavy armour. In addition, he can make a momentous rush attack as a full-round action. To do this, he moves up to twice his movement speed, turning up to 90 degrees during the rush (up to and including directly left of or directly right of his previous direction). The momentous rush is considered to be a charge, but instead of a single attack at the end of the charge, the juggernaut makes any number of free overrun or bull rush attacks during the rush, though only one against each creature.

Touch Ward (Ex)
    From sixth level, the juggernaut's heavy armour is effective against touch attacks, even incorporeal touch attacks.

Ablative Plating (Ex)
    From tenth level, a creature who misses the juggernaut with an attack (including a touch attack or ray) must roll again to hit themselves with the attack if he's wearing heavy armour.

Freedom of Rampage (Ex)
    From fourteenth level, the juggernaut gains the benefits of freedom of movement constantly, so long as he wears heavy armour.

Hurling Impact (Ex)
    From eighteenth level, when the juggernaut bull rushes someone while wearing heavy armour, he can throw them the full distance in any direction without having to move with them. He still deals extra damage if they fly into a wall.

Mountain Rush (Ex)
    From twentieth level, the juggernaut's momentous rush is four times his normal speed, and he can turn up to three times during it. If you turn so that you hit a creature multiple times, you can make that many bull rush or overrun attempts against them.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-11-12 at 10:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Juggernaut [3.5 class in 30 minutes, by request]

Quick thoughts:
    Why no Knockback/Awesome Blow?
    Hurling Impact comes waaaayyyy to late for what seems to be a main focus of the class. You can bull rush a giant by 6th, but you can't knock a halfling back without moving yourself?
    The "any number of free overrun or bull rush attacks" language in Momentous Rush worries me, as I think you could argue that they can make an infinite number of attempts against a single guy-- perhaps "though only one per target" would be useful to add?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Quick thoughts:
    Why no Knockback/Awesome Blow?
    You can take Awesome Blow anyway if you can meet the prerequisites, and I'm not sure it actually helps you.

Hurling Impact comes waaaayyyy to late for what seems to be a main focus of the class. You can bull rush a giant by 6th, but you can't knock a halfling back without moving yourself?
    I'll admit that I can't think of many reasons why I want to move enemies back without moving with them, except maybe that I've actually run out of movement. It's meant to be more of a nice thing you get to knock people all over the place than a standard thing.

The "any number of free overrun or bull rush attacks" language in Momentous Rush worries me, as I think you could argue that they can make an infinite number of attempts against a single guy-- perhaps "though only one per target" would be useful to add?
    I suppose I was assuming people would take it in good faith, but I'll be more specific.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

No class feature called "I'm the Juggernaut, ****!"- I'm disappointed.

Was the specific request for it to have zero out of combat abilities? Because if not, there are two obvious things to give it a teeny amount of out of combat ability: First, maybe a circumstance bonus to intimidate checks equal to 1/4th level that instead becomes 1/2 when wearing gauntlets. Second (and I'm not sure of the mechanics here) something letting you ignore some amount of hardness or get a bonus to strength checks when knocking through walls and doors.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    No class feature called "I'm the Juggernaut, ****!"- I'm disappointed.

Was the specific request for it to have zero out of combat abilities? Because if not, there are two obvious things to give it a teeny amount of out of combat ability: First, maybe a circumstance bonus to intimidate checks equal to 1/4th level that instead becomes 1/2 when wearing gauntlets. Second (and I'm not sure of the mechanics here) something letting you ignore some amount of hardness or get a bonus to strength checks when knocking through walls and doors.
    It doesn't quite have zero applicability out of combat - it has the ability to run through obstacles and stuff and it possesses a skill list, if not a great one. I could give it some intimidate, but being the intimidating fighter guy always seemed a bit worn-out and a bit odd for someone who dumps charisma all the time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ooh, this looks fun. Great work, Jorm! I just have one question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    A juggernaut can also try to run straight through an obstacle during his movement. If he does, the obstacle takes damage equal to...
    By the wording, this ignores object hardness and "objects take half damage". Was that the intent? If so, it might pay to specify that, because you know how DMs can be. If not, well, as I noted, the wording implies otherwise.

Regardless, I definitely have to play one of these in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Eno said what I was going to say, better, and faster, too.
    Master Maker - Artificer Plus

Jr. Tormlet badge granted by LoyalPaladin. Always keep fighting the Good fight.