The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Celestia's Finest: The Late Night Show

Love has watched many of these shows, but never been on one before. The amount of work it takes to get it up and running is astounding to someone who hasn't worked in the business. Crew members run around like scared rabbits, shouting to each other, passing things around, and generally making her head spin. It's exciting! It's new! And it is very confusing.

Somepony puts make-up on her and won't take no for an answer. "Your coat gets washed out under the lights, doll. Sit in that chair and don't move for the next five minutes." Once she's satisfied, the mare lets Love go and wait in the cast room with the other guests, waiting their turn. A few ponies are there, including Representative Coal Dust from Fillydelphia, who is dressed in a fine suit and going over his notes nervously. In the corner, a batpony dressed like a heavy metal singer waits, checking her phone. And opposite Love, reading a magazine, is her old friend Parfait the neocorn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: The Late Night Show

There wasn't much coat to wash out, but Love was more than happy to let the artist do her job. She remained polite and courteous. Small talk was a thing, and generally directed towards how much she enjoys the show and thanking her for beautifying her to look her best. It was brought up that she doesn't have much experience with all of this, but that was more to allow the somepony to take the lead and guide her more so than they would a seasoned professional. Love didn't want her green horn nature to come off as ill-mannered.

She resets her tie even though it was perfectly fine. Truly, everything was perfectly fine. Her black suit jacket is boldly designed with strong seams circling around her shoulders and down her torso. A white collared under shirt proudly displays under her single buttoned jacket and follows the pattern with bold lines tracing from her neck to her pants. Her jacket was trimmed with a provocative gold with matching buttons, sleeve buttons, and tie brooch, the brooch set with a single red gemstone. The trim around the sleeves was white, though as to match her gloves. Her hair was dyed blonde to near match her buttons. Her cloth is professional, and professionally designed.

Love's distraction of choice is her phone. That itself is only an excuse for the other ponies sake to make them feel comfortable. Love tries to get Parfait's attention before she starts talking. She keeps quiet, once again for the other ponies, and says, "Hello, My name is Partial Charge. My friends call me Charge. It's a pleasure." That was a known lie, but it seemed wrong to user her military call sign here and now. And, she wasn't suppose to know Parfait, the totally not a secret agent noble.

Spoiler: Shoot! I mean Suit!
    Show
    Love is dressed to her status (3)! Her Cut is also a Fashion Original (or in other words x20 normal price.) (Ultra p. 175)

Spoiler: Style Image!
    Show
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-11-12 at 10:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Spoiler
    Show
    Very stylish!

Parfait looks up at the announcement. She smiles warmly. "Well it's very nice to make your acquaintance! I'm...call me Parfait."

"Aw come on," the batpony calls, "Your real name's so much better."

Parfait blushes, but fixes the pony with an icy glare. "You. Shut. Up."

The rep ignores this and continues studying his talking points.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Style
    Show
    It's her business image. Her business Lovebot!

How much for the gemstone brooch? It's real, but it doesn't have to be a rare stone or anything. As long as it's not fake and looks good. She wants to look good, not bust her bank.

She raises an eyebrow at the batpony's interruption. Love keeps the attitude chilled and clam, but the curiosity for her name was there. There for another day, sadly.

Love smirks back to her friend and extends her foreleg for a hoofshake. "Parfait. How charming."

Once that's done she'll sit back up straight. "And, you hellraiser?" Love says it as a compliment to appease what she assumes is a Heavy Metal artist. The are a lot of metal genres, and she is not a metal fan, so the subtleties and differences are lost on her. Metal means tough though so she hopes her nick name draws a positive response instead of a fight.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-11-12 at 11:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

[spoiler]Gems are a dime a dozen in Equestria. You can find them in random fields.[/quote]

Parfait shakes back. "Charmed, I'm sure. How would you like to go to a little hole-in-the-wall cafe I know after this? It serves amazing coffee."

The batpony snorts. "Wow. You are not subtle."

"It's...it's not like..." Parfait sighs, "I am ignoring you from here on out."

The batpony grins and looks Love over. "Heh. You actually got my name already. Hell Raiser. Lead singer for the band Cerberus. Nice to meetcha."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

She has to think on the invitation for a bit, but luckily Hell Raiser was providing enough of a distraction that she got her moment. Love touches the feather in her mane, she insisted to her makeup artist that she keeps it, and then says, "That sounds lovely. I'll accept. I could use some amazing coffee." She admits, "I haven't been on TV too many times. A hole-in-the-wall sounds perfect." There was that quick burst of fame once they completed their first mission, but nothing on this scale. This wasn't news news. This was entertainment. An entirely different beast.

Love returns the greeting, "Nice to meet you."

She gestures to Hell Raiser since Parfait said she was done talking. "The two of you know each other?" Short and sweet. Let the batpony volunteer the information.

7. - Top - End - #7

Parfait smiles. "I look forward to it then." True to her word, she ignores Hell Raiser.

The batpony just scoffs. "Never met her before. Heard a lot, though. Her and her family. Here's a hint: her last name is 'Saddles'."

Parfait continues to ignore the mare.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Love smirks back and gives her a slight nod.

Love is starting to get the bigger picture. A family business, perhaps? Either way, this conversation isn't one she wants to make Parfait endure. Changing subjects and giving a bit of light flattery, "It's not every day you meet the Hell Raiser. What are you doing here? Promoting a new album?" She smiles. "I hope to hear a few clips of your work. It'd be my luck to hear your vocals live."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-11-13 at 01:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hell Raiser nods and takes on an aloof air, the kind that people take when they're trying to pass themselves off as 'cool'. "Yeah, you a fan? That's cool."

"The band all watches this show. Good for a laugh, ya know? So with the new album coming out, no better place to promote it than right here."

A pony steps in the door. "Representative Dust? You're up, sir."

The politician rises, straightens his tie, and walks out the door.

Parfait leans over and whispers, "Do you follow politics much?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

She really had no clue who this pony was or about; however, she seems alright enough. That aggression against Parfait wasn't the best way she could have introduced herself, but she didn't know they were already friends. Maybe, she was trying to protect Love in some way, and her rough edges caused her to come off in a bad light. "Maybe, after tonight. It depends on how much hell you raise. You're here, though, so it's almost a done deal already."

The showpony and the politician leaving catch her notice as normal proceedings.

Love leans slightly forward to aid Parfait's movements. This is Parfait's advance. They are strangers after all. She whispers back, "Not many ponies can afford to ignore it. I've started my research."

11. - Top - End - #11

Hell Raiser grins. "Heh. Hope ya brought ear-plugs." She goes back to checking through her phone.

Parfait nods at the door where the representative left. "Dust is one of the good ones. Makes him real unpopular in the Assembly. There are some nasty rumors going around about him, but that's just his enemies in the Assembly trying to make sure he doesn't get re-elected. So if you hear rumors of him being a drunk or never home for his wife, those aren't true. He's a devoted Royalist and that's just not a popular opinion in the Assembly right now. Worse, he openly denounced those who passed that bill before the sentencing."

She shows the magazine, which has a full page spread devoted to the dragging the representative through the dust.

She winks. "Thought this would be interesting to you, Lt. Charge of the EDF."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"He seemed studious." That was a huge positive in her book. It's a shame he seemed so nervous. She should have helped him when she felt that desire. Only, she didn't know him or how well he'd take a stranger's help. It's too late now. She can only help that he does well on his own. The Princesses and the EDF need more people on their side. She looks up from her trailing thoughts to Parfait again. She smirks and says, "That's very interesting. Thank you for the insight."

Love leans back and grabs an extra copy of the magazine or looks it up on her phone.

What Parfait said had her worried. She was way in over her head. She was no politician. Her plan to go in guns blazing was foolish. She needed to re-think and fast. If a seasoned professional was being eaten up by the majority of his peers, she'd be crushed like a bug. No, she doesn't have any hard power. She has to be well liked by the public and be careful not to make too many enemies. She needs to act with precision and not over commit. She needs to minimize her mistakes.

13. - Top - End - #13

Most of the major news organizations have nothing good to say about Coal Dust, though they are all accusing him of different crimes, some minor, some heinous. However, they are very careful to never say he's guilty for certain, only that 'certain sources' (which could mean anypony) 'alleged that he did such and such' (which means the media hasn't done anymore investigation into the matter except get Joe the barroom drunk's rambling story about aliens, the Marluminati, and how Coal Dust was the worst pony on earth.) But those tricks are easy to miss. Love might have if she hadn't been assured ahead of time that he was a good pony.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    ONWARDS!

Coal Dust stumbles in after a few minutes pass, looking sick and about ready to break down. He slumps into the chair and puts his head in his hooves. Parfait gives him a sympathetic look, but doesn't get up. Presumably, she's here on business that prevents her from opening associating with him right now.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I assume he's older than Love since he's a politician?

Love locks onto him as soon as he comes into the room. The world loses its detail compared to him. Maybe, she should ignore him too, but he's a pony in distress. She's not ready to go that far just yet. She still had some of that fire in her, she couldn't squash down. She stands up and moves to a seat beside him. She puts a hoof on him and pulls a handkerchief from her suit pocket to offer him. "Are you alright, Representative Dust?"

16. - Top - End - #16

He looks up. His eyes are red. After a moment of hesitation, he grabs the handkerchief and dabs his eyes. "Fine. Just fine. Can't you tell?" He chuckles hollowly. "They tore me apart. Ripped me a new one. Couldn't get a word in edgewise. Used to that in the Assembly, but this time the crowd joined in. Would have started throwing things if I hadn't left the stage in the middle of the show. The press'll have a field day with that, but I couldn't stay out there."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

She gives him an emphatic smile like he just wounded her with his own injury. "Measured, counted breaths. That helps most ponies calm down. I'll get you some water." She stands up and grabs him something from the refreshments, and offers it to him, before she sits down beside him again. It's not like she didn't see him being humiliated. It was pretty common for green rooms to have screens of the show playing. She caught glimpses.

She tugs on her gloves periodically as she talks, "It doesn't sound like group a very interested in hearing what you had to say. Your breath would have been wasted. Your reaction may be newsworthy tomorrow, but you could have done far worse by verbally reacting to their jeering. A nasty quote lasts longer than a boring clip of a man excusing himself from a hostile room. Many would have handled the situation much less professionally."

18. - Top - End - #18

He hands her the handkerchief back. "Thanks," he says, "It's just the latest thing. Every day, they throw something at me. They want me to resign. But I don't plan on it. We're at a tipping point, you know." He sighs. "It's hard on Ebony, though."

"Don't know why I'm telling you this. Maybe because you're being friendly when everypony else just wants to tear my throat out and dump me in the alley."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

She folds the cloth to cover any blemishes and tucks it back into her pocket. "How noble. I mean that. I do. You have a rough job that sometimes comes with this." She motions to a nearby screen. "If you put up with this type of treatment and still work this hard, coming onto talk shows, you must really care about Equestria. You're a pony with a passion, a mission. I can admire that drive. Equestria deserves ponies like you even if they don't treat them the best. Even if not every pony agrees on everything, Fillydelphia should be proud that they have a Representative fighting for their bests interests. You have heart. A rare commodity." When he mentions a name she asks, "Ebony? Who is she? Your wife?"

She waves his questioning away with a stiff hoof. "We can all depend on a random stranger's kindness at times. Think nothing of it."

20. - Top - End - #20

"Thank you," he says again, "Ebony is my wife, yes. Very pretty pegasus. Lovely wings."

He stands up. "Well, I'm going home. I don't expect I'll be coming out again for a while. Probably will close the curtains real tight too." He walks for the door.

An attendant sticks her head in. "Ms. Charge? We're ready for you."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

She stands up with him. "She is very lucky." She smirks, "Best to skip the morning news as well." She tries to land the warning as a joke.

When called, she fixes her suit one last time and answers, "Yes. On my way." She'll follow the attendant with no fuss.

22. - Top - End - #22

Love is led onto a a blindingly bright stage as a round of applause rises to meet her. She can't look at the audience. The lights are too bright. Ahead of her sits a set of chairs and a pony sitting behind a desk. Quick Wit, the best comedian in the business. He gives Love a winning smile. "Lt.!" he calls, "Welcome! Welcome. Pull up a seat and join us, if you've got the time. Got it on good authority Ponyville needs saving again. What is it this time? The trees formed a union? A squirrel's dropping nuts on everypony's head?"

He pretends to look through his notes. "Ah! False alarm, everypony. It's just the day the world is scheduled to end. But don't worry. Like everything in Equestria, they're a little behind schedule." A picture of the unicorn who made the news the other day for screaming on the street corner that the world would end in one day flashes behind him. The audience chuckles.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Applause was good. Especially after the horror story she just heard back stage. The EDF being seen in a positive light was positive news. The bright light was a bit much, but Love is wearing a Lovebot. If they can handle a flash bang they can handle some stage lights. Course, being able to see the audience wasn't something she'd actually consider beneficial or useful. Love does that thing that every guest does and introduces themselves under the volume of everything else. Quick Wit might have heard. The crowd? Maybe. The mic would have a good clip for editing in latter.

Love plays second fiddle to his joke and grabs her phone to check for the false emergency. If, when he corrects her, she'll chuckle along with the crowd. "It's been a busy week. Things have certainly been interesting." There, a nice and open statement. She starts settling into the seat, getting comfortable. If he wanted to talk about the EDF being heroes that was fine by her. She'll play along with the Host.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quick Wit settles into his routine. It's not that different from a regular interview in form, to be honest, but it relies on the host's personality and interactions with the guests to carry it through to the intended laughs.

He takes a sip of water. "In all seriousness, though, thanks for coming. Schedule's gotta be packed, right. Saving the world. Keeping us all safe at night. Say, you're the hacker, right? Got any internet security tips for the average pony out there? Ways we can avoid not being your next target?"

"Actually, scratch that. Scratch that. Let's cut the preliminaries." He takes a deep breath. "Partial Charge, what I want to know, and what I think everypony wants to know..." He pauses dramatically. "...is which one of you saved Ms. Awesome's, 'I can do it all by myself', flank?" A picture of Rainbow Dash with ice cream smeared on her mouth flashes up on the screen.

The crowd laughed a little louder this time and the began clapping.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Love is starting to get into the grove of things.

She really wanted to talk about his first question. There was a simple piece of information that was super easy for any pony that could help them. Longer passwords, not more complex. In this day and age, everypony should know how to use a computer, how to protect themselves from danger. Education is key because a complete novice makes mistakes, but hacking the person behind the computer was still the same. A longer password, an easy to remember sentence, would be ideal. Don't have a password you need to write down! Instead, she'll be entertained by the snap back question while he asks something he wants answered.

She can't help herself. "Security is important. Longer, simpler passwords help."

Enough backtracking, she gets to his most recent question.

She chuckled at the question herself with a smirk. She kept her hoofs active and her mood light and joyous. "That'd be our team's quiet mystery pony, Scope." She puts her hoof over her heart and jokingly confesses "Forgive me, Scope!" She turns to the host. "He would have wanted me to keep hush-hush on that. He is a very down to earth pegasus." A bad joke.

"He charged in there with an overpowering determination not often seen. He was ready to carry everypony out princess-style. Too bad for him, that's not Rainbow Dash's style. Rainbow Dash was already fighting for her freedom when we arrived on the scene. From there, we had to talk her down to staying back because of an injury. She earned a lot of my respect that day. And, I'm glad she's fully recovered." She didn't want him to grab a hold of that tidbit. "Sorry, Scope!" She smiles.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-11-14 at 01:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quick Wit grins and winks. "Don't worry. We can keep a secret. Right, everypony?" The crowd whoops and claps. "Yeah, me and my ten million closest friends won't tell a soul."

After the crowd settles down, he moves onto his next question. "So what can you tell us about the mission? Give us the play by play, minus the classified bits of course." He turns to the camera. "Kids, don't steal state secrets. Yes, it's a good way to meet a bunch of big, strong stallions interested in giving you a full examination, but they dump you in a tiny room afterwards. Not worth it, really."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Keep it light. Keep it joyous.

There is no way she can give him a play by play. The official documents launched out of HQ was bare bones and kept everything classified. Is he trying to get a big scoop? Would he do that to her for some quick, cheap ratings? It wasn't going to happen pal. Still, she is here to entertain and him too. They both have jobs to do.

Love gives a dangerous smirk. "I could tell you, but you'd have to join the EDF before you get any secrets. We could pack some muscle on you. Turn you into a big, strong stallion that rushes into dangerous, life-threatening situations." She waves away the seriousness. "I couldn't do that! Turn the offer down. I'd miss your ugly mug on the show too much." Love weakly gestures to his mug, but she doesn't commit enough to the joke that most would catch it. "I enjoy a good laugh after work. It helps sort out the complicated feelings."

28. - Top - End - #28

He laughs and raises his hooves in surrender. "Sorry, I like my doughnuts. Maybe a little too much." He pats his slightly chubby middle and grimaces. The audience chuckles.

"But see if you can tell us this one. Without killing us all afterwards, of course." He winks winningly at her. "Rumor has it there was a little scuffle down at the Castle of Friendship and, once again, you all were the heroes of the hour. A week before a second attack, which you also drove off. Now, is it just me, or do you all have a remarkable talent for being in the right place at the right time? I mean, keep this up, and who needs the Elements of Harmony, right?"

The audience murmurs in agreement.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Tricky dm! You got me to voluntarily walk into a trap!

She has had enough of this political hit job! Representative Coal Dust was his first victim. She had defended Rainbow Dash. She defended the unnamed conspiratorially-referenced secret services. Did he have a magical mind-control on his neck? The grimace gave her worry. Was he poisoned? That reaction she doesn't hide from the crowd; she shows genuine worry for him. Either way, she had to flip the script and go on the offensive! The EDF and Elements needed not only defended but bolstered! She could hear the laughter dying down into chuckles as he turned this interview dark. He wasn't playing to his home field advantage! However, Love still had some laughter to give everypony here.

Keep it light. Keep it joyous.

She keeps her hooves active again, weaving a story without going overboard. "I'd love to stroke my ego by taking credit, but I'm not responsible for that work. Trust me. I would stroke my ego if I could." She chuckles. "There is no coincidence about the EDF being in the right place at the right time. The top minds of the military are directing us where to go. What to do. The reason we'd be at the festival? The government must value and want us to protect the Elements of Harmony." She smiles, not smirks, for the first time during the interview. She's taken back as if she just remembered a great story.

"I know why. If anyone has been to ponyville they know why. No one can take a step into ponyville for long without being greeted by a very special pony. She brings laughs to all those around her." She laughs into her next statement, "A very lucky few end up in a pile of the most delicious cake they've ever had from a party cannon." There, that was Pinkie Pie. She was easy. She speeds up the pace. "The Wonderbolts' captain. Oh, when she hits the field and flies." She waves her head once. "I don't think I've ever heard a sport's fan scream louder. Fluttershy might be shy, but how many ponies has she bravely saved from some big misunderstood creature?" She doesn't give him time to interrupt her. "Applejack keeps everyone honest and on a straight path. Rarity adds beauty and truly makes the world shine. The world shines with her in it." She smiles. "And, Princess Twilight? She's why we're all here, now, in a studio on TV. She is responsible for saving countless lives with countless medical advances. She gave us games. Computers. Memes. Cat videos. Silly, fun stories we can share with our loved ones."

"I can see why we need the Elements of Harmony."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-11-15 at 01:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    That's the best kind of trap! The kind the players choose for themselves. cough *Rose x Chrysalis* cough

He smiles and nods, but Love sees it for what it is. It's a calculating look, the kind that only comes when someone realizes they're facing an actual opponent.

"Well, you ever considered a career in politics? You'd be a great improvement over some of our current leaders, let me tell you." The crowd whoops and applauds this. He turns to them and bows his head, that grin still in place.

"You know," he says, "I like you. I do. You've got this..." He searches for the word. "Fire. This passion. I can tell just from listening to you that you truly believe every word you're saying. It's refreshing, honestly."

"Not that he knows what that means," a voice whispers in Love's ear.

"You ever hear the story of the cricket who walked into a sporting good store over in Bridletain? And the mare behind the counter said, 'hey! We've got a bloody sport named after you.' And the cricket said, 'really? You've got a sport named Charles?'" The audience chuckles. It's an old joke. "I think you're a bit like that cricket right now. I didn't mean to say the Elements weren't great. I mean, gosh." He pulls out his phone and sets it on the counter. "Twilight, right? I mean, come on. That mare just don't quit! But anypony can make someone happy. Any seamstress can sew a dress. A zookeeper can watch animals. A--you get my point. And now that you've come around, it seems to me you've proven that regular ponies can do everything, if not more, that the Elements can."