The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1695
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1105 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    So I've been pondering this overnight.

The problem with oppression as an excuse for violence is that there's never been a society on earth that's free from oppression. Certainly 19th century America wasn't. Sparta wasn't. Rome wasn't. None of the European countries were. There's always something that needs fixing.

More problematic than oppression itself is the perception of oppression -- has there ever been a child who didn't think, at some point, his parents were being mean and unfair? And in marriage, even the most committed egalitarians can find themselves in an unequal situation.

That's why oppression doesn't work as a pretext. Because if it was there would never be any human society, or any human relationship, in which we couldn't be justified in killing the other people in it. And you can't build a family, or a tribe, or a country, or a world that way.

So you've got move the goalposts for oppression waay back. Something like as follows:

1) The oppression has to be truly intolerable. For example, you're being exterminated, or you're being sexually used against your will (which Hilgya wasn't, by word of Giant). In some historical situations I can't site on forum but do exist, slavery itself was not considered reason enough for revolt -- not in the ancient world, where almost everyone was a slave of one sort or another.

The rest follows from just war theory:

2) The proposed violence has to have a reasonable chance of correcting the evil.

3) The cure must not cause more harm than the original disease. There were many revolutions against oppression in the 20th century, and the result killed millions of people
    in artificial famine, extermination , and purges . 11 million people dead from those three incidents alone, not counting thousands of intellectuals rotting away in rural labour camps for no greater crime than having a degree. And we haven't even touched on the casualties caused by wars of liberation and civil wars themselves.

4) The war must have a reasonable chance of success. What's worse than oppression? A losing war against oppression that results in collective punishments and mass executions. There have been a lot more failed slave revolts in history than successful ones. IIRC, the Romans crucified a man on every mile of the Appian way after the Spartacus revolt to drive the point home.

So -- there are circumstances when warfare and violence against intolerable oppression exist. But it's not nearly as common as people think they are. That's why laws and courts exist -- it's a way for people who think the system has aggrieved them to gain redress. Convince enough people to agree with you, the problem can be solved without bloodshed.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    I love you !!

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    Next thing Ivan might have offered her a comfy cushion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS49c9KZw8

terrible, cruel man, indeed

sch
    Re-read my post. There was no one making the claim to which your response applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kereminde View Post
    You got Romeo and Juliet out of that? I mean, I can see where one would, but it doesn't scan for me. There's just barely enough to qualify them as "two households, alike in dignity" (haha . . . no) but they are not the same "star-crossed lovers", headed for a poor end all too soon due to miscommunication and rash action.
    Rich literally published a separate comic out of the story of Romeo and Juliet starring Haley and Elan titled "Haleo and Julelan"

N.B. A foot massage is not necessarily a request for intimacy, therefore labeling it as "similar requests" instills a charged meaning here which is not separated at all.
    The pre-text of marriage, or indeed any potential relationship, makes it intimate. If you go on a date and say "Hey want a foot massage?", that's most likely getting taken as a request for sex.
    Last edited by a1chemi; 2017-11-17 at 05:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by luna the cat View Post
    No doctor is touching me if we don't have a clear (professional) relationship built on trust and understanding.
    Speaking from personal experience here, you'd be amazed what you'll let an unknown doc touch if **** goes south fast, no matter how awkward the situation may be otherwise. I trusted whoever the hell said they could fix it, didn't much care for the lack of previous relationship.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

d6 Re: OOTS #1105 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post

Nah. I'm better than he is.

You see, my focus is on ending oppression. Not on pampering my ego after I went right there and screwed up. So... Yeah. I'm not Eugene Greenhilt. I might be quite a bit like Hilgya, though, which I would gladly take as a compliment - and I do mean it, I see a few parallels between me and her (though I was never forced into marriage, of course). And yes, I do believe she is better than Eugene.
    youre not campaigning for ending opression
    You are campaigning to allow people being cowardly murdered for no reason.

And I do not argue that dwarven society is as it should be.

Re-read my post. There was no one making the claim to which your response applies.
    true!

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-11-17 at 05:44 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Halfling in the Playground

See, not all of us are privileged to have good insurance plans, so if I am paying 250 out of pocket for a doctor's visit, I want to be sure he's not going to be an ******* or gross.
    That's exactly my point. Not all of us have insurance plans at all. Which narrows down options quite a lot. I mean, I could in theory not go, that's been somewhat my modus operandi in general, but now this is about you and I and not about the circumstances. Should we drop the tangent, or do we agree this is also a coerced event and I should be justified for poisoning my doctor with a literal gallon of something toxic? (Sarcasm, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Hilgya was not at all careful about what she revealed to Durkon. Not only did she sum up her actions in a very frank way ("I just gave up and ran away from all my responsibilities to the clan and abandoned my marriage"), but she doesn't hide the fact that she attempted to murder Ivan. We're meant to view Hilgya's characterization of Ivan with amused skepticism, but it's because Hilgya is mistaken, not because she's lying by either omission or commission.
    True. Most of the time this comic has characters who are very . . . very up-front about themselves, but it doesn't stop things from being shifted and moved around . . . I mean, this isn't the first character who's been through this process and I really doubt she'll be the last. We're meant, intended to, take the scene one way but inevitably there is this disconnect where some people read something else into it. Which is where we get discussions like these (for better or worse) where we look at things and try to determine whether any other message could have been intended.

And we are discussing a cleric paladin of Loki, by the way. Deception and trickery is sort of his thing. Be careful what you take at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by a1chemi View Post
    The pre-text of marriage, or indeed any potential relationship, makes it intimate. If you go on a date and say "Hey want a foot massage?", that's most likely getting taken as a request for sex.
    That can literally be stretched to cover anything as being likely as being taken as prelude or euphemism for something else. All you need to do is have one person take it as such, even if there wasn't an intent there in the first place. "Want to sit on the couch and watch CSI?" "Oooh, you pervert." "We're having pizza for dinner." "Oh stop it, not in front of the kids."

In fact, such is often one of the tools of low comedy, making something utterly mundane out into being something other than it is, an innuendo for something it could to potentially be. Where it becomes comedic is when one side takes it at face value instead of the value of innuendo. Where it becomes tragic is when this leads people to believe any sort of offer is (not merely "may be") a pretext for something more, so long as it's a married or dating couple. That's how you end up having the swing back to comedy where something innocent is offered and taken as a pretext, and reacted to with shock and anger at "how dare you?!".

I personally detest this, because it's managed to add another layer of code and innuendo to something which really . . . really . . . didn't need any more.
    Last edited by Kereminde; 2017-11-17 at 05:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No doctor is touching me if we don't have a clear (professional) relationship built on trust and understanding.
    What? Seriously? Built? Who told you that if you have to get touched by a doctor you'll have had time to build any kind of relationship? Most of the doctors that have touched me are people I'd never met before...

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Why do I get the feeling we're about to loop around from painting Eugene Greenhilt as Something-Evil into Tarquin as not-Evil? I mean, if we do that'd be hilarious.
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

sch

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    What? Seriously? Built? Who told you that if you have to get touched by a doctor you'll have had time to build any kind of relationship? Most of the doctors that have touched me are people I'd never met before...

I think they don't generally go straight for the sensitive areas though. Usually you get some time to feel them out (as a professional) before they grab your nethers.

Also there are gloves and a general air of professionalism.

10. - Top - End - #1300

PirateCaptain

I think they don't generally go straight for the sensitive areas though. Usually you get some time to feel them out (as a professional) before they grab your nethers.

My point is quite a few of the times I had to be touched, it was an emergency. So, yeah they went strait for my nethers

cleric paladin of Loki.
    Hilgya's a cleric. Unless I'm missing something else you mean...
    Last edited by SilverCacaobean; 2017-11-17 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

My point is quite a few of the times I had to be touched, it was an emergency. So, yeah they went strait for my nethers
    Please accept my condolences on the kind of emergency with which you seem to have needed to deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

12. - Top - End - #1302

PirateCaptain

Please accept my condolences on the kind of emergency with which you seem to have needed to deal.
    Don't worry, no condolences needed
    Last edited by SilverCacaobean; 2017-11-17 at 05:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303

None of which has prevented . . . remarkably scummy individuals from having used this to their advantage. Of course, those are the exceptions and not the rule. So too are the ones who you build a relationship and trust with before having your heart literally open for them (instead of figuratively open) so you know you can trust. The general understanding is they're going to be a professional about it at the bare minimum, so it should be perfectly fine.

We're not necessarily talking about those people, at all. We're talking about the few who ruined it for the rest of them. Which is . . . an unfortunate case, but it is so . . . often how we wind up discussing things where the exceptions and outliers are ones who wind up setting the bar for everyone else. It's a shame nowadays people assume the worst and don't even expect the best instead of hoping for the best and having a plan for the worst just in case.

Hilgya's a cleric. Unless I'm missing something else you mean...
    It's been my new joke so to speak. Since there was a lot of talk about conclusions without evidence, I decided to just leap on the most outlandish one I could think of and decide to make up evidence to support it and then claim it is obvious if you paid attention to the two panels we got any clue of what was going on in this strip.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Catholic school here, so yeah, I know that, but OoTS is very not an old testament setting, Western Continent that worships Ereshkigal and others aside.

Actually, that brought to mind an anecdote. I was homeless for a time a while ago and would go to a christian charity that did food, showers and other things. They also would ask if they could wash your feet, as a sort of "we are living like early christians" thing (they were evangelicals IIRC). So I refused each time, but they'd ask each time, and it felt very patronizing, and mostly for them. I mean, I am sure for some people a foot massage is a very nice thing, but it felt more so they themselves could feel like they were living more like early christians. So maybe part of the reason I've gotten heated in this thread is that unwanted foot massages are associated with a pretty bad time in my life.

Anyway I think feet are gross and I don't understand why anyone would want a stranger to touch them, and I'd only let someone touch my feet if we were "together" and that was something they wanted to do for some reason and I wanted to indulge them in their... foot thing. There's no situation I can imagine where I'd think of someone touching my feet as a favor unless I had an injury and it was a doctor.
    Other people might not realize that you see it that way.
    When you presume that you have a relationship you might do it to do someone a favor.
    Good intent has to be worth something

That being said I hope you are doing better now. Not having a home sucks. Hard.

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-11-17 at 06:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1305

PirateCaptain

It's been my new joke so to speak. Since there was a lot of talk about conclusions without evidence, I decided to just leap on the most outlandish one I could think of and decide to make up evidence to support it and then claim it is obvious if you paid attention to the two panels we got any clue of what was going on in this strip.
    Oh, hadn't noticed that, sorry for the "correction".

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Basically this; I mean it's not a rare thing for an OB/GYN to have a bad/uneven reputation. Mostly 85% women now in the profession, but that wasn't the case until a few decades ago.

And this is why TSA uses same gender agents for pat-downs or asks if the passenger would like a private screening, and explains every step of the screening process ("I'm going to touch the back of your leg, is that ok?") The fact that the pat-down has to be done in order for me to fly doesn't mean I can't say that I would be preferred to be screened by another agent if something about them makes me uncomfortable.

17. - Top - End - #1307

And this is why TSA uses same gender agents for pat-downs or asks if the passenger would like a private screening, and explains every step of the screening process ("I'm going to touch the back of your leg, is that ok?")
    I don't know what kind of TSA agents you've dealt with, but mine don't give a hoot.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know what kind of TSA agents you've dealt with, but mine don't give a hoot.
    i don't understand what you mean by this

19. - Top - End - #1309

i don't understand what you mean by this
    Non same-gender TSA agent. No "I'm going to touch your leg now" before they search. Just "step over here," and frisk.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Non same-gender TSA agent. No "I'm going to touch your leg now" before they search. Just "step over here," and frisk.
    It might have to do with me being a woman and constantly and visibly nervous while in public
    Last edited by luna the cat; 2017-11-17 at 06:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It's hard to argue something never happens, but as I understand, same gender is the procedure.

I've only had pat down once or twice and it was as luna described. Every person I've seen being pat-down has been the same gender as the patter. Pat-downer? Anyway...

How did we get on this topic? Ob yea foot rubs. I think this all just shows that touching other people in pretty much any way can be a demand or grab for intimacy.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

That is... not the URL I would have chosen.

23. - Top - End - #1313

I think this all just shows that touching other people in pretty much any way can be a demand or grab for intimacy.
    But is it necessarily a prelude to something else, or is sometimes a cigar just a cigar?

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Colossus in the Playground

Cigars will kill you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

sch
    May I please quote this in my forum signature?
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club

26. - Top - End - #1316

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Gettin' the baby some adventuring experience while he's still young. *sniff* Such a beautiful thing.
    XP's are awarded based on Average Party Level, so by carrying around a Lvel 0 infant she is lowering her APL and ensuring she gets more XP's from each fight, so she can level up faster.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Also, to @Luna the cat, while I can understand why the text might be interpreted differently, I just want to clarify that my interpretation (which I think is fairly similar to that of several other people here) of the "foot massage" flash-back panel, and what Hilgya said in response, is as follows.
    First, I am assuming the flash-back panels basically represent what really happened.
    Second, while I don't think Hylgia is lying per se, she does seem to be presenting her situation as being as bad as she can make it sound.
    The first panel (with the crossbow) does seem to clearly show that she had absolutely no choice in who she would marry, and was threatened with force if she didn't marry. We don't see a crossbow behind Ivan's back, so presumably he didn't have to be PHYSICALLY forced to go to the wedding. However, she explicitly says that she doesn't know him, and I see no particular reason to assume that he somehow knew her. If Dwarven society were portrayed as consistently patriarchal, then I could see more of an argument that maybe he had randomly seen her and decided he wanted to marry her, but Rich hasn't really portrayed Dwarven society that way, as far as I can tell. He made the high priest of Thor female, and put Durkon's mom in an authority position in the army. Based on how Rich has portrayed Dwarven society in the rest of the comic, what I would consider the most reasonable assumption from the flash back is that Ivan had no more choice than Hylgia, and would have been married at cross-bow point if he had dissented like Hylgia had.

With that as my interpretation of the first flash-back, I would view the second flash-back panel as two people, neither of whom had any more choice about the situation they are in than the other, one of whom is content with the situation, and one of whom is not. Hylgia says that he "never stopped hounding me with his endless questions". Given that she is seemingly portraying her situation in the bleakest light possible, I think we would know if he was continually asking for intimate touch, because "he kept asking to touch me" or something like that would sound worse than simply "hounding me with his endless questions". Since (1) we only see one of those questions, which is not repeated more
    than once, (2) the request is not necessarily sexual in nature, and(3) the joke of the panel is probably (as far as I can tell) meant to be "Hylgia is describing the events of her life as worse than they actually were" (along with "Ivan is a total idiot"), I believe that the most obvious (and probably intended) interpretation of the panel is that the questions he "hounded" her with were things like "how are you feeling today" and "can I get something for you while I'm at the store", and "would you like me to make dinner" and other stuff like that, rather than asking her over and over again "would you like a foot massage" and other potentially suggestive things. And for the record, I would probably be fine with a platonic friend who I'm not attracted to giving me a foot massage.

Obviously you don't read it that way, but I just wanted to make it clear how I view that strip.
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pnewman View Post
    XP's are awarded based on Average Party Level, so by carrying around a Lvel 0 infant she is lowering her APL and ensuring she gets more XP's from each fight, so she can level up faster.
    Don't cohorts get only half XP share, without adjusting the level of the party?
    OK, even then, sharing the XPs of highlevel adventuring mom should make Durkon-jr level up pretty fast ^^

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Gettin' the baby some adventuring experience while he's still young. *sniff* Such a beautiful thing.
    What is that XP going into, though? It might seem cute now, but taking levels of Baby is just going to hurt his progression in the long term.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm curious if I got this right. There's a 40 page debate going on which at it's core revolves around:
    "I like character X, so X can't be evil, because... umm... my mommy said that was bad I guess?!". Sided with a bit of "Y must be Evil because I really don't like Y! There's no way a Good character could be someone I'd detest".

Which has happened for every single character so far that dared bust the mold of Good = Everything Nice Evvar and Evil = Cartoonish Evil.

Because I seriously don't get it. Tarquin was an awesome character, and absolutely magnificiently evil. And so is Belkar. I don't care for Eugene much, but I can accept that he is or thinks he is Lawful Good. Can't quite see it myself, but maybe one day we'll see how that shakes up.

Digging Helgya coming back, it was mindblowingly beautiful. Really liking her atm, and convinced she is evil. And I have no problem with that. Just looking forward to how the story will go on.

And yes I'm totally ignoring the whole rule implication of D&D Good/Evil Turn Undead. Because it really don't matter at all. I look forward to seeing what that's about in the future. Or not.