New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Postlapsarian Gladiators [IC]

It has only been several days since God was overthrown. In the wake of the defeat of god, the City of Throne has descended into chaos. Gladiators banded together, fought each other, and ransacked the city. The main leaders of the rebellion abandonded the city, leaving almost immediately for foreign and far away lands. Only Crusader Odgen, the primary leader, remains.

The hundreds of domestic servants that the Chiaroscuro retained in it's service have been cowering in fear of the demigod Gladiators, scared to leave their homes in Throne. The city is burning, and the riots of Gladiators have destroyed it.

Of the outside world, you have heard little. The lands outside of Throne were never greatly connected to the Chiaroscuro, and may not have even noticed its absence.

The four of you have found safety for the moment in one of the recently ruined buildings of Throne.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Postlapsarian Gladiators [IC]

Batel were sitting about 10 feet away from the bonfire, the 4 big leaves sprouting from their back shielding them from the heat. They had helped gathering the wood, insisting only to use dead wood, but had as usual had left the fire business itself to the others.

Their wide eyes, enthralled by the fire, revealed both their fascination and their deep terror with the airy substance. There were something fundementally wrong with fire. it was and wasn't. They had seen it devour people alive both in the rings and outside but at the same time they knew that many of the sentient races relied on it to get through the cold nights.

"So to adress the elephant in the room." they says, tearing themself out of their fascination: "Perhaps we should return to the discussion about what to do from here? You know my vote, that we stay in Throne, gather people around us and attempt to make regain order to help the people around."
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-11-23 at 04:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Erud sits solemnly among those that he thought of enemies only days ago. Until the Pack Leader had been thrown down. Erud's survival had depended on his willingness to kill his opponents. Who would rise to pack leader now. What would the law of this new pack be? The uncertainty clearly takes its toll on this normally stoic hound. Concern plays across his canine features.

"Forming a new pack is a clever move. However, this den is poisoned." He turns away from the fire, toward the boundary of Throne, "We should move outward. Beyond Throne lies a new hunting ground. There is much prey and room for many packs."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Taupa watches the fire, a nice, simple, visual distraction to calm him while he thinks about what the future holds. Who would naturally fall into power? Would anyone allow anyone else to get such power after this? What will become of him and anyone else he knows? While normally good at predicting things this recent turn of events has put him in a spiral. He watched the fire grow in his head, noticing every spark of time going in all different directions, not knowing which one will catch aflame.

There was one thing he did know, however. If they didn't act quickly, this place was going to burn to a crisp.

"Whatever we do, we better make it quick. The world can only handle so much chaos for so long." He said without moving his eyes away from the fire. "We're bound to find some other people who aren't too fond of anarchy. The more people who join us, the better."
    is great right?
    this a signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thol'Lok was calm, a state he very rarely left. His mind was busy, wondering where this new path will lead.

"No chaos. We bring order. We created for purpose, now no purpose to fulfill. Through new purpose we find order. Through order we rebuild. We rebuild to strengthen people. Strong people survive better."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"So one wants to leave town, one wants other people to join us and one wants order. Perhaps we could gather as many people as we can and build a new home somewhere in the wilderness? We would need something to give people for following us, and I don't think that simply a promise of order is enough but I think that a hint of a better life might. Professor Taupa, Erud, we are fortunate that some of the few sages of the gladiators chose to join us. Which do you think are good candidates for a place to carve out a kingdom? We need access to food and water, and something of value, for instance precious minerals in the soil or rare plants."

"And also, allow me to help your memory"
    They offers showing a hand as if offering a gift, and the two gladiators feels a light prod of their magic, waiting to be accepted.

Spoiler: Should they accept..
    Show
    Guessing it's just a knowledge(geography) roll.

I'm just blowing everything on this. If we are attacked afterwards it'll suck but I think finding a good place from the getgo is vital.

Using Wild Arcana to cast Gallant Inspiration twice. Using rod of Empower on both(for 3d4 instead of 2d4) and 3 metamagic points to maximize one of them, leaving 1 point left.

Whoever of you rolls the lowest gets to reroll with a +12 comptetence bonus
    The other gets to reroll(if desired) with a (3d4)[11] bonus.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-11-23 at 04:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

HalflingPirate

Erud sighs at being called sage. "Maybe one day I'll deserve to be called sage. Unfortunately the time I spent studying all served the single purpose of survival. I've read a few descriptions of the world outside of Throne. I would suggest a place near water with ready access to wood from trees and rock for building. If there is also open land that would be best for feeding a larger pack."

He struggles to remember if there is such a place reasonably close.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2017-11-15 at 10:03 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

In the immediate vicinity, the Mesa Canyon is mostly devoid of habitable territory, although you could likely eke a living on the other edge of the canyon, around the six waterfalls at the terminus of the six major rivers of Regula. From what you have heard, those lands are filled with water and good to grow things in. However, in the 200 miles between Throne and the waterfalls, one is unlikely to find a good location for a major kingdom.

Beyond the mesa canyon, the Prairie is filled with habitable land and territory, and one could likely found a city in almost any location there. There are many other places that would work in the other bands, but those are many, many miles away from Throne.
    Currently Playing:

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingPirate

Erud's teeth flash into a grin as he relays his recollections, "The Prairie is a good place to start. It shouldn't take more than ten days to reach it, less if we are traveling light. In such a place, we could establish a city free of the constant striving and fighting for mere survival."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Thol'Lok eases himself up, giving away his large and broad stature.

Thol'Lok is not light, does not travel light. Thol'Lok takes his time.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elud
    "The Prairie is a good place to start. It shouldn't take more than ten days to reach it, less if we are traveling light."
    "Tell me more. What makes it a good place?"

Quote Originally Posted by Thol'Lok
    Thol'Lok is not light, does not travel light. Thol'Lok takes his time.
    "You realize the entire point of that thing is to travel lighter, right?" Batel says tongue in cheek, a finger pointing at Thol'Lok's bag of holding. "But to be serious, I agree. If we are to build anything that resembling an orderly city we will need many tools and we need food enough to survive until we can sustain ourselves. And for that we'll need both oxen and wagons."

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingPirate

"The land is flat and green, so other plants could be grown -- trees that bear fruit and grain that fills the belly. Where the land is fertile, animals graze. Animals that graze and forage make for delicious meat. Since the land is flat, we can build our city on tiered mounds, like this," Erud traces a ziggurat in the dust.

"From the top of such a city we could see threats approaching from dozens of miles away. We will need powerful magics or many outlanders to move the earth, though. I believe that I could research such spells given time, though."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

As the party sits and debates the issue of their future plans, they begin to hear screaming from outside. "HELP! HELP!" When they the look out the windows, they see a small green humanoid with massive ears and a mouth that is far too big running from a Gladiator you recognize as Mantis. The small humanoid looks like it may have been a Jester or some kind before the fall of the Chiaroscuro, and is holding a bundled collection of unknown objects as it runs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The humanoid is a goblin, Mantis is a giant preying mantis.
    Last edited by UrsusArctos; 2017-11-21 at 05:59 PM.
    Currently Playing:

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingPirate

Erud catches the scent of Mantis. He's never felt comfortable around the giant bug. "I think we might have our first recruit. It should be easy to win the little green one to our cause if we keep Mantis from eating it."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Save the goblin

Hearing the noise Batel rushes outside.

"Mantis, you nasty sack of fertiliser, that's enough!", their commanding voice easily caries over the distance and cuts through the goblins green. They weaved a thread of Speak into it, not enough to have any real effect but enough that Mantis knew that they could and would magically compel him to stand down if needed.

Spoiler: If the mantis continues his chase after the warning
    Show
    "Enough!" they magically Commands(heightened) him. Will DC 20 or it is unable to move for a round.

Gathering the herd

Assuming they survives the fight Batel goes to town the next day. They spend the entire day and the next on gathering people for their travel and new kingdom. They prioritizes vulnerable people and people with skills in crafting and farming.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There's going to be a whole bunch of gather information checks here but I'll just take 10 for simplicity.
    Gather information: 10+8+9=27
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-11-23 at 04:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Thol'Lok, the usual stoic type, makes himself a living wall between Mantis and his quarry.

17. - Top - End - #17

Mantis stops with the commands of Batel and with Thol'Lok interposing himself between him and his quarry. He raises a one his front appendages, and gestures towards the humanoid.

"That wretched thing has stolen weapons from me, grand weapons that only a Gladiator should have. Surely you must admit we cannot allow the commonfolk to have such power? They would slaughter each other and destroy themselves in the infighting! Batel, you are a Gladiator, possessing of great power. Surely you understand?"

The goblin cowers behind the much larger Proto-Titan, Thol'Lok.

Spoiler: Gathering the Herd
    Show
    The next day, Batel is able to go out on the town and discover a small community of craftsman, tucked away in a rudimentary fortress built out of one of the former great forge buildings, by following the whispers of the few brave scavenger commonfolk. There are not many farmers in Throne, but they can surely find them in the surrounding lands.

As Batel approaches, a few guards point ballistas at her. "Stand back! What do you want from us?"
    Last edited by UrsusArctos; 2017-11-24 at 12:22 AM.
    Currently Playing:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Batel turns to look at the goblin with an raised eyebrow, clearly waiting for it to either defend itself or hand the weapon out.

The group could probably take on Mantis but they would make enemies of it, enemies they couldn't afford right now.

Show
    "I am Batel, seed of Galeja", they shouts to the men on the wall: "I want nothing from you, it's quite the opposite. We're a group heading for fertile land far from the chaos of Throne and we are extending the offer to come with us to those who seek a safe place to live. May I enter such that your people can decide for themselves?"
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-11-23 at 04:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingPirate

Erud

Erud slides out into the open right next to the goblin, "Mantis, is this some jest? Only a gladiator is powerful enough to steal from another gladiator. Are you really saying this little green one got the best of a you? Because, if you were, it would sound like you are weaker than this jester. Isn't it more likely that a gladiator stole from you and this creature just happened to be nearby when you noticed?"
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

"Gladiator or not, it's still possible to steal weapons from someone. Make sure neither of these two leave until we figure this out."

Taupa turns to Erud. "Although it's unlikely someone like him could steal from a gladiator, we might as well humor the mantis, check the jester for any of these 'weapons' he's stolen."
    is great right?
    this a signature

21. - Top - End - #21

"That wretch snuck into my lair and grabbed my collection of swords. I had taken each from a fallen foe, and they rightfully belong to me. I heard the klaxons as it did. I am not weaker, it is just better at cravenly and cowardly arts! I fight my foes in the open, with honor!"

The goblin shudders under the gazes of the collected Gladiators. It unwraps the cloth it is holding, revealing a collection of five swords. "I took these, it's true, I need to defend the others. I snuck in and grabbed a few, he had so many..."

Show
    The guards look amoung themselves and begin to talk. Not long later, they open the gate of their fortress, and usher Batel in. They allow them into the antechamber of the forgecomplex, which has been surrounded by barricades. The gate closes behind them, and it is only lit by the dim lights of the many forges.

A dwarf, dressed in slightly nicer clothing than the rest, steps forward, and takes a look at Batel. "What you describe is too good to be true, I'd think. A Gladiator comes to our door, and claims to be acting in our own interest? What reason would we have to trust you?"
    Currently Playing:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"What about you give it back?" Batel asks the goblin, using her voice to weave an implied "or else..." into the question.

Show
    "What about my pretty eyes?" Batel responds with a wink.

"More seriously though, Ogden is doing it his way, we are doing it our way. It isn't purely altruistic of course. We need people who knows how to make food, people who can make walls and people to man those walls so we can sleep safely, people who can create new weapons when the ones we have break and so forth. I'm not claiming it will be paradise but it's going to be a hell of a lot safer than that mayham"
    they point with a thump towards the city.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Thol'Lok wastes little more time, reaching back and lifting the goblinoid.

Return what is not yours, little man. Thol'Lok protects. No need for weapons.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2017-11-24 at 09:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingPirate

Erud, no stranger to subterfuge in the arena, smiles, his tongue hanging out just slightly, "It sounds as though this one is a gladiator after all. I misjudged you, green one. Risking Mantis' wrath and a pack of your own to protect. Mantis! By your own law you shall be ruled. You admit to taking each of these weapons by besting a foe. The little one bested you," he holds up a clawed hand to forestall the initial objection, "Yes, by cleverness -- not force. But, you well know that in the arena a win is a win, by any means. My judgement is that the little one shall keep one of your weapons for besting you, and return the rest."

Now he expects the Goblin to object, "For your courage, little one, your pack can enter my protection. I am called Erud"

By your own law you shall be ruled? It is a start.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

"I'm all for souvenirs of victory, my sword cane is one itself, but he should still return them all." Taupa started to grin at the thought of an adventure. "How about we help you and your friends instead?"
    Last edited by Zogip2; 2017-11-25 at 12:09 AM.
    is great right?
    this a signature

26. - Top - End - #26

The goblin, grabbed and held aloft by Thol'Lok, sighs. "I'll give them back," he meekly says. Mantis swiftly grabs the swords, and then walks away, before saying one last comment. "I have no hard feelings for you others. These weapons belong to me, and I am merely taking back what is mine." Mantis walks away, and rounds a corner.

The goblin, once set on the ground, looks to Erud. "Oh, you wouldn't want my pack... we were just the entertainment troupe of the Master... There are a few others, cooks and such, but I am the only one with any sort of combat potential."

Show
    "So your actions are not motivated purely by benevolence, but by a self interest that aligns with our own... That is an easier truth to accept. Ogden's attempts at protecting us are failing. We do not wish to remain. Yes, I think we will join." The dwarf turns to the others, and shouts. "PREPARE TO LEAVE! WE MUST LEAVE THE THRONE BEHIND!"
    Currently Playing:

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingPirate

Erud shrugs as he is overruled. "Don't be so sure. These others and I are moving away from Throne to start a new city. All of us were merely entertainment for the master. This pack has little skill outside the Arena. Your pack has little training for battle. Together we make a stronger pack. I'm sorry you weren't able to keep a blade. No warrior should be unable to defend his pack."

"May I call you something instead of Little One? I think it is too diminutive for your bravery."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"My name is Goblin, if you wish to call me something. As for my pack, I could take you to them, if you think it would be helpful. We're scared and on our own, but we are looking to leave this city."
    Currently Playing:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Little Goblin and friends make a start for people. Come with Thol'Lok and Gladiators,
    we protect you.

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingPirate

"Goblin," Erud smiles, "That is a good name. Take me to your pack. We can leave Throne together."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show