Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default LotR Coming to Amazon TV

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/entert...zon/index.html

Amazon just announce a "new epic journey" in Middle Earth that takes place before the Fellowship of the Ring.

Other than the announced license deal (which seems to include potential spin-offs), little is actually known at this point. Though Sean Astin (aka Samwise Gamgee) is mentioned as a possible actor for the show.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: LotR Coming to Amazon TV

Eccccccccccccch.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Eccccccccccccch.
    I agree, i was hoping for the Silmarillion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm...On the one hand, yes there is stuff that happens prior to Fellowship of the Ring - been a while since I read the timeline appendix but I recall the years between Hobbit and Fellowship were fairly busy and you can mobilize some recognizable characters: young Aragorn, young Boromir and Faramir, Arwen, any of the Hobbit Dwarves you think have traction, and so forth, but otherwise there's little appeal. There's also a serious dearth of villains. No Sauron (still reforming from his defeat at Dul Guldur), no Nazgul (likewise), no particularly notable orcs (because Tolkien really didn't care about the orcs except as fodder to mash), Saruman is still nominally a good guy, yuck.

I would have gone earlier. The wars of Gondor would have been a good point in the timeline, a character like Earnur, the nominal 'Last King of Gondor' has a bunch of exciting events to his credit and with expansion could allow for both epic battles and the court intrigue essential to making a series such as this function (hordes of extras tramping about in New Zealand is expensive, a handful of actors on a soundstage in Vancouver is cheap).
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Why make a prequel when all the actors have aged almost twenty years since the original?

Also, is New Line / Warner Brothers involved with this? If not they might have legal trouble with trying to replicate the aesthetics of the films.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, an old school RPG of Gothic Fantasy. Download full rules at heartofdarknessrpg.com

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Why make a prequel when all the actors have aged almost twenty years since the original?
    There's actually quite a bit of time between Hobbit and Fellowship - I'd forgotten just how much. The Hobbit takes place in 2914, while Fellowship begins in 3018, so over a century passes in the interlude. This also hits on some weird factoids like how Aragorn (born 2931) is in his eighties when he joins the Fellowship. Non-numenorean humans are more realistic in age, with Boromir in his early forties during the events of Fellowship.

For prequel purposes the best point to focus on is 2957 to 2980, when Aragorn was running around the map having adventures and working for Rohan and Gondor under an assumed name. Thengel is king of Rohan, Ecthelion is Steward of Gondor, all non-humans appearing but not slain in The Hobbit are alive. So, you recast a younger Aragorn - since he's half his Fellowship age you can use a twenty-something heartthrob for the part - and have him as the lead. You throw in a dwarf companion - perhaps Gloin, father of Gimli but any of the more martial Hobbit dwarves works fine - and an elf companion, who you probably want to be a woman, probably invent a character from Lothlorien since we know Aragorn has spent time there (given how few named female characters there are in Middle earth in general, this show is going to have to invent a lot of females).

It's important to keep Gandalf, Saruman, and other notables out of this. A good option is to utilize the Blue Wizards, supposedly active in the east - where we know Aragorn travels - to help drive the plot. This also allows the invention of major villains in the form of a leader of the Corsairs - who Aragorn helps to defeat in 2980 - and of the Haradrim - probably black numenoreans. Also, going to need to throw in some kind of Haradrim turncoat who sides with Aragorn as a major character to avoid coming off as blatantly racist (which is going to be a heavy lift from the start). Human enemies make sense because they are cheap to utilize than orcs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I agree, i was hoping for the Silmarillion.
    Silmarillion would be the only thing worth doing.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Silmarillion would be the only thing worth doing.
    Silmarillion is impossible TV.

Pretty much all of the long-running characters are gods with incredibly over-the-top powers, you'd get something that looks like Gods of Egypt. Also, there's not a single story through line, just a bunch of mythic events jumbled together in rough chronological order over an immense span of time. You'd have continual cast turnover, a bunch of similar looking elves with extremely similar sounding names that the audience would struggle to identify with - Sons of Feanor looks at you - and a number of other issues.

There are parts of the Silmarillion that would make for interesting short series, most notably Beren and Luthien, and those are worth doing but the rest is a mess.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    There's actually quite a bit of time between Hobbit and Fellowship - I'd forgotten just how much. The Hobbit takes place in 2914, while Fellowship begins in 3018, so over a century passes in the interlude.
    This timeline seems wrong since Bilbo is not 7 in The Hobbit (he's 111 at the start of Fellowship). A quick check of the wiki suggests the Hobbit takes place in 2941, which seems much more reasonable to me. Still a lot of time, but not over a century.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    This timeline seems wrong since Bilbo is not 7 in The Hobbit (he's 111 at the start of Fellowship). A quick check of the wiki suggests the Hobbit takes place in 2941, which seems much more reasonable to me. Still a lot of time, but not over a century.
    Darn, I copied the numbers down in the wrong order, it is 2941. So roughly eighty years then. Technically Fellowship starts in 3001 - when Bilbo leaves the Shire, but nothing actually really happens onscreen anyway until 3018. Still, I suppose you can't set any actions during that time period, too many of the principals are accounted for, so that reduces the window for a series to more like sixty years.

I think the late 2970s is a target point, with Aragorn's attack on Umbar in 2980 as a good goal for a series finale. That's the biggest canon event in between Hobbit and LotR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Because canonically there's not really much that happens which would make for a good sequel? Aragorn rules as a just and wise king for 120 years or thereabouts and then dies, doesn't really make for an epic tale.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Because even the ones that were less known at the times are now the stars of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you can't afford those people.

From a business perspective Samwise Gamgee is a great character to pursue. The role is sort of minor but rightly a fan favorite, the actor is relatively unknown, and the rest of the cast can be padded out by new characters or younger actors playing younger versions of well known characters. Sean Astin/Original Sam might even appear only in forward dated portions, telling his grandchildren about all the mischief he got up to before his adventure with the Ring. For the first season they'll even try to stick to his established pre-LotR character and insert a bunch of second breakfasts between eavesdropping and stealing a local farmers vegetables, but by the third season his gang is slaying trolls left and right, and it's awesome. Copyright on the movie is not a problem as long as they don't specifically incorporate anything that wasn't in the book but was invented for the movies. So I supposed any oliphaunts that might appear could look a little different.

The show gets cancelled after season four.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-11-14 at 05:42 AM.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    From a business perspective Samwise Gamgee is a great character to pursue. The role is sort of minor but rightly a fan favorite, the actor is relatively unknown, and the rest of the cast can be padded out by new characters or younger actors playing younger versions of well known characters. Sean Astin/Original Sam might even appear only in forward dated portions, telling his grandchildren about all the mischief he got up to before his adventure with the Ring. For the first season they'll even try to stick to his established pre-LotR character and insert a bunch of second breakfasts between eavesdropping and stealing a local farmers vegetables, but by the third season his gang is slaying trolls left and right, and it's awesome. Copyright on the movie is not a problem as long as they don't specifically incorporate anything that wasn't in the book but was invented for the movies. So I supposed any oliphaunts that might appear could look a little different.
    Why on earth would you involve Hobbits at all? Anything any hobbit character does violates canon in a massive way, nothing interesting happens in the Shire between series or before them, and dealing with hobbits means doing a whole bunch of expensive perspective trickery to create the illusion of tiny people.

In terms of actors from the movies you might pursue for TV here's some actual candidates:
    1. Lee Pace as Thranduil - the actor is not a household name and the elf king is probably not someone who would show up that often, but if you wanted to hold some scenes in an elven court that would be way more doable than trying to deal with the Elrond/Galadriel issues (neither Hugo Weaving nor Cate Blanchett is happening).
    2. Any Actor who played a dwarf in the Hobbit films - the public has no idea who any of these people are anyway considering the amount of prosthetics they were wearing, but you can earn some nerd cred that way.
    3. Craig Parker as Haldir of Lorien - also not a famous actor who could reprise an existing elven role, has action chops (he was in Spartacus) which is going to be important in a series like this.
    4. Lawrence Makoare - the Maori actor who played various villains under makeup/CGI in both LotR and the Hobbit would be a good fit for a heroic non-white character (which this series is going to desperately need).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a bad feeling about this. I think I'll carefully avoid this series. I am actually surprised of the fact that the Tolkien Estate will lend its support.

On the other side, Amazon has shown a willingness to go for klein but fein, like with Paterson, so who knows, they might end up being slightly truer to the intellectual premises of the books, simply because paying for a good script costs less than paying for blinding special effects to hide the stupidity beneath them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    4. Lawrence Makoare - the Maori actor who played various villains under makeup/CGI in both LotR and the Hobbit would be a good fit for a heroic non-white character (which this series is going to desperately need).
    Not the worst idea. The east and south lands are largely unexplored by the books, but two of the wizards went there. GW wrote a few books about Harad, I seem to remember, or the Hobbit game and I'm sure a few of the RPGs had some ideas about it, but one could write a nice story about Easterlings rebelling against the brutal Sauron-worshipping fascist state.

You'd probably lose some interesting from the non-hardcore fans, though, since it would be seen as "not Lord of the Rings enough". I mean, you could probably bring in some dark elves or grey elves that are far, far out east, which isn't entirely impossible, but I don't think you'd have any dwarves there, or much else that immediately reminds people of the movies.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-11-14 at 07:52 AM.
    “It’s honest. What our religion tells us, the part that is a religion, is that the gods created life to try and make meaning. It’s ultimately hopeless, and even gods die, but the effort is real. Will always have been real, even when everything is over and no one remembers.”
    -The Litany of Earth, Ruthanna Emrys

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Aragorn stated in the books to have travelled into places where the stars looked different, which means that he went very far to the south.

I guess that one could also write a series about the Rangers in the North, or the war in Ithilien. They would revolve around well-defined groups with clear objectives.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm thinking the fall of Numenor might actually work okay. It's been a while since I've read the Silmarillion, but iirc it has both a fair bit of politics and intrigue as well as fighting and spectacle. Or perhaps the war against Angmar? There's plenty of space to work there. Or maybe they'll zoom in on the Last Alliance, turn the opening scene of the fellowship into a multi-season show.

All of that is workable, but none of it is crying out to be made, so we'll see how things wind up. I'm not too optimistic.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

sigh Re: LotR Coming to Amazon TV

Oh. Yay. I can't wait for more Legolas.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Not the worst idea. The east and south lands are largely unexplored by the books, but two of the wizards went there. GW wrote a few books about Harad, I seem to remember, or the Hobbit game and I'm sure a few of the RPGs had some ideas about it, but one could write a nice story about Easterlings rebelling against the brutal Sauron-worshipping fascist state.

You'd probably lose some interesting from the non-hardcore fans, though, since it would be seen as "not Lord of the Rings enough". I mean, you could probably bring in some dark elves or grey elves that are far, far out east, which isn't entirely impossible, but I don't think you'd have any dwarves there, or much else that immediately reminds people of the movies.
    Are you guys plotting out a Drizzt series over there?
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Personally I want to see the fall of Arnor, Gondor's sister kingdom(s). Since the war takes place over a couple of centuries, each season is a different set of Arnorian rulers. Any elf, dwarf, or orc characters can stick around through the seasons since they don't age. There can be major victories and defeats through the arcs, as Arnor fends off the forces of darkness but steadily loses ground. It can even tie into the LOTR movies as the epilogue, cause Aragorn is the last heir of their royal line.

Besides, this is where the Witchking of Angmar gets his name. The biggest and baddest of the Nazgul vs an entire kingdom of men. That would be awesome to see

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I have a bad feeling about this. I think I'll carefully avoid this series. I am actually surprised of the fact that the Tolkien Estate will lend its support.
    They don't lend their support, and they didn't for the movies either. It's simply out of their hands--Tolkien sold the film and TV rights of LOTR before he died, so his estate have no say in what happens to them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They don't lend their support, and they didn't for the movies either. It's simply out of their hands--Tolkien sold the film and TV rights of LOTR before he died, so his estate have no say in what happens to them.
    From the linked article:

"'The Lord of the Rings' is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen," said Sharon Tal Yguado, head of scripted series for Amazon Studios. "We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking 'The Lord of the Rings; fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As I said, not much is known. We have the quote that Vinyadan quoted and the line I used; "new epic journey".

That indicates to me that they probably are not going to be using the characters from the movies, at least not the main ones. (Though I would enjoy Aragorn being developed more). But the events of LotR are only one thing in one place going on. They have an entire world, hundreds of places, and tens of thousands of people to make an interesting show about.

IMO, Middle Earth is much richer than Star Wars, and even their they managed a unique story (Rogue One) outside of main existing story line.

Speculation is fun, but lets not make up our minds until we actually have more than conjecture to decide with.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Aragorn from the movies is also a very different character from Aragorn in the book: in the movies, he's the "famous" Aragorn, who has renounced his claim on the throne. So I guess that they could choose to look for how this happened.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I thought about it and realized there had to be more out there than the one article, so I did some digging. From the links at the bottom, these are the other seemingly reliable things I found out;
    - The Tolkien Estate shopped the project to Amazon, Netflix, and HBO
    - Netflix bid $100million for the rights, Amazon is reported to have bid over $200million (maybe even 250)
    - Peter Jackson is not involved (director/producer of the movies)
    - Deal includes an option for a potential spin-off
    - “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”
    - Multiple seasons have been committed to

Links:
    - http://deadline.com/2017/11/lord-of-...os-1202207331/
    - http://www.tvguide.com/news/amazon-l...b&profileid=01
    - http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-t...nt-1202207065/
    - http://tvline.com/2017/11/13/lord-of...tiple-seasons/

26. - Top - End - #26

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Sean Astin/Original Sam might even appear only in forward dated portions, telling his grandchildren about all the mischief he got up to before his adventure with the Ring
    How I Met Your Ruler

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Oh. Yay. I can't wait for more Legolas.
    There's almost no way Orlando Bloom will be involved. His salary would be way too high.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs

My New Ask Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aran nu tasar View Post
    I'm thinking the fall of Numenor might actually work okay. It's been a while since I've read the Silmarillion, but iirc it has both a fair bit of politics and intrigue as well as fighting and spectacle. Or perhaps the war against Angmar? There's plenty of space to work there. Or maybe they'll zoom in on the Last Alliance, turn the opening scene of the fellowship into a multi-season show.

All of that is workable, but none of it is crying out to be made, so we'll see how things wind up. I'm not too optimistic.
    Angmar would be great. The only problem is EA did Rise of the Witch King for LOTR Battle For Middle Earth 2 so there may be copyright issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Because canonically there's not really much that happens which would make for a good sequel? Aragorn rules as a just and wise king for 120 years or thereabouts and then dies, doesn't really make for an epic tale.
    I dunno, there were enough problems that Eomer had to fulfill his resworn Oath of Eorl more than once.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't wait! If only it was on real TV. Time to reread the Lost tales...
    Venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus
    Dominum!