New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Large Melee Management (Battle Royale)

Hi all!

My players are about to journey to a tourney (XD) which among its many events includes a "grand melee". Essentially a battle royale, the competitors start arrayed around a field, and fight until there is only one participant standing.

Obviously, the players want in, and i am wondering how i would simulate the NPC battles going on, as the PCs will obviously not need to fight all (or even most) of the enemies.

I had the idea that when one of the PCs defeats an enemy, treat that as the normal duration of combat, and halve the remaining population, but that seems very obvious and clunky.
    I'm looking for any other ideas as to how to manage this, or if anyone else has tried something similar.

Also, if anyone has any clever ideas for other medieval 'carnival' competions in the vein of pie eating competitions or riddle contests or what-have-you

Thanks for any tips,
    Sam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Large Melee Management (Battle Royale)

Honestly? No need to leave 'the battle at large' to chance. Figure out who you DO want them to fight... And everyone else gets scrapped along the way through one means or another.

While it can be fun to leave things to chance, I find it better to do so only when the chance will impact things in a meaningful way.

Decide who will fight them, who might (If their battles prove too easy before that point) and who else is just window dressing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord View Post
    Nice! This should be very helpful, thanks.