New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Wildrun: Growing Turmoil

Caeleth bellies up to the bar next to Rurik, desperate to find some cure for her headache, but also curious to see how the bartender would receive a Tiefling - even a fairly unassuming one. "Ale. Please."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Another serving girl brings Caeleth a drink. “Are you feeling alright mistress? You look ill.” The bartender seems genuinely concerned. “Are you sure an ale is the right thing for you my dear?”

She looks hesitant, and then asks “Are you a LADY?” She asks sheepishly. “One of the one of the ones that visited last month to Irons Deep?”
    Last edited by Devonkm; 2017-12-08 at 06:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rurik

He nodded in response to the food offer. "Yes please, the Meat'on'meat choice if possible. A good Stout Beer needs some healthy meat with it. Oh and the tab will go to our table in a collective fashion. We all tip in an equal share." Rurik replied to the cutesy Servergirl/Bartender. He of course meant any who got something to eat/drink also paid their part of the total cost, not that the Water+breadcrust people would have to pay the same as the ones getting expensive beer and breakfast.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

4. - Top - End - #274

AssassinGuy

After a moment, the cute girl comes back smiling with a plate of cold hard boiled eggs, a ham bone with a generous amount of meat on it, and some crusty bread. There is a pueter bowl with honeyed butter, and a mustard sausage next to the ham. The bartender puts 2 mugs of stout amber colored beer in pint glasses down on the bar.

“Get some bread for the LADY” the bartender says. “She looks as though she could use a nice simple breakfast.” The servers eyes widen at Caeleth and darts back into the kitchen.

“I’m sorry it is not hot and fresh. As you can see, we are just cleaning up from the night shift. We are one of the only taverns still opened at night due to us being right in the square. The curfew hasn’t effected us yet. But our busy time is over and we were about to close up and get some rest. Not that I am complaining mind you. Just explaining why the food may not be to your typical standard.”

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Blastigar Kaboom
    Spoiler: statistics
    Show
    ac:15
    Hp: 18
    Effects: none
    Passive perception:14
    Any other useful statistics I should provide?

Excuse me... Could you let me by please. Blastigar climbs to the table or bar whitchever.

So if you all are closing up and the foods been out that means it's cheaper yes? Bring me the cheapest meat you got from whatever animal from whatever part. I don't need much I'm just little you see. Water as well. I'd like to keep a clear head til at least midday. Blastigar tries not looking at the waitress during his speech. He again doesn't want to let on he is bashful in the presence of cute girls.
    Sorry to keep you busy...what's Your name? (you Can just say waitress 1 if you want)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

"O-oh." Caeleth blushes and runs a hand through her hair. "I... I'm no lady. Just a member of the Cartographer's Guild." She smiles at the bartender. "Though I can't say I'm not flattered. Thank you for your kindness." When the barmaid returns, she tears into the bread and washes it down with a few less-than-ladylike gulps of ale. She's already feeling more perky with some calories in her belly.

"My colleagues and I - we're here on official guild business. Could we ask you a few questions?" She tosses a glance around the room. "Perhaps somewhere more private?"

Spoiler: Insight check
    Show
    Can I tell anything about the bartender's demeanor? (1d20+2)[6]

7. - Top - End - #277

AssassinGuy

To Blastigar
    The cute server looks down to see the little goblin speaking politely and demurely and lets out a little yip Of surprise and covers her mouth. She then blushes and says “I’m sorry... I didn't... expect.... forgive me sir. Of course sir.”

She comes back a minute later with a glass of water and some ham bones that have some meat left on it. “Is this what you are talking about sir? I’m sorry... I never served... your race before. Please forgive me... I’ve never met one of you before... I’ve never actually seen one of you before...”

She continues to stare until Blastigar starts to eat. “I’m sorry... I don’t mean to stare... I have been saving to go to Hara Pa’ene to study at the Cartographers Guild. My name is Kelly by the way... anyways I want to see the world and meet every race on this plane... Maybe some time you could come back and talk to me a little bit? I have read about your kind in books, but you don’t seem anything like the books.”

To Caeleth
    “Forgive me Guild Mistress. I just assumed... we had a group of Tieflings that came through here about a month back that were noble born. They had a parade of sorts that cam was through the square before it headed to the Mordenfell manor. I just assumed... I’m sorry. We don’t get a lot of Tieflings in Irons Deep.”

In response to Caeleth’s request: “official business huh? I bet it’s in regards to the thief that’s been prowling around here? Stealing from the nobles and middle class?” She says, seeming to pry for information, but the tiredness in her voice from the long night prevents some of her subtly. “You can ask the girls and myself, but I would say talk to the owner. Marisha is the owner. She is probably upstairs taking a catnap. She seems to know everything that goes on when it comes to the more... affluent.”
    “I can tell you that from the rumors we have heard, the thief is something of a cat burglar. Rumors say the thief only steals from homes that have money to spare, and it seems to happen only 1 time a week. It’s making those that have money seem nervous and less willing to spend their money. Hurts us lower class citizens as well. Hurts our tips as well. People are losing jobs because the higher ups are cutting back. I hope you find the scoundrel. Let me go get Marisha.”

After about 20 minutes, a bleary eyes Middle Aged woman with grey streaks in her brown hair comes down from the stairs in the back. “Get me some coffee would you?”She says to Kelly. She looks over the group and raises her eyebrow at Caeleth, and even higher at Blastigar. “A motley Guild crew if I ever saw one. Not Expierienced I would say to if I had to guess. But a guild member is a guild member I suppose. Come with me.”

She leads you over to a corner booth, and sits in silence sizing all of you up. She says nothing until a small cup of hot coffee is set in front of her. “I am Marisha, owner of the Best tavern in Irons Deep. What can I do for the guilds?”
    Last edited by Devonkm; 2017-12-08 at 09:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Colossus in the Playground

Stephanie who had been super shy at the table, was now able to talk away from everyone else and now just the group and Marisa.

We are. We came initially to restore contact with Iron's deep. Stephanie starts. However. I think we wish to help the town above and beyond restoring contact. We have heard of the murders. Any information that you have on them would be helpful, miss. Stephanie remarks hopefully.

Spoiler
    Show

Persuasion to improve her disposition. (1d20+7)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #279

AssassinGuy

Thumbs down Re: Wildrun: Growing Turmoil

Spoiler: Save
    Show

(1d20+2)[6]

“So not out to stop the thief aye? The murderer needs to be stopped to, but I was hoping for the thief. Or at least the bandits that are preventing the ale from comin in. Effecting my bottom coffers ya see. Though if the murders do stop, maybe the curfew will be lifted?”

Looking at Stephanie again her disposition softens. “I’m sorry lass. You look like your new in town. Things have been going rotten for us lower folk for months now. We have been dealing with the murders since they started, and it’s almost become... part of our week now, as horrid as it sounds. You caught me after a long night ya see.”

She clears her throat, seeming to feel genuinely bad. “So why come to me? Surely your guild mates know more then a tavern owner.”
    Last edited by Devonkm; 2017-12-08 at 11:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280

I might have seen the thief or the murderer.... It was on the way here. She's was about my height, my um build. She adds blushing and looking away.

Does the thief typically work during the day. She adds clearly feeling guilted into helping.

And well, you might have known the victim... She adds after a moment's thought.
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-12-09 at 12:07 AM.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, matron... sorely so..."

Chapel's face is hard and set, but his eyes kind.

"I think it was one of yours. Lucy."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Blastigar Kaboom
    Show

To Kelly
    Blastigar takes the plate and shows down bone and all while speaking to Kelly. He still does his best not to look directly at her.
    "Its quite alright many other reactions Could have ended more violently. I'm fairly used to stares so not a problem either. This is exactly what I meant. Its delicious and thank you. As for myself I don't think I'm an accurate representation of my kin but I do know a lot about them. Many things you read are more or less true but not very accurate. The reasons would surprise you I think. Many people don't give goblins a second thought so there are many misunderstandings. I'd be happy to discuss all of this with you. I imagine now would be ok since I think we seek your boss."

20 min later
    Spoiler: discuss
    Show
    totally cool with rping the discussion

Thank you for everything Kelly but it seems i have other business. You can seek me out if you want to know more.
    He hops down follows the group and remains silent. So far he has nothing to add.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rurik

Like before, Rurik concentrates on his food and leaves his companions to ask the important questions. He tries to keep his eating-noises to a minimum, but the tasty beer hit just the right spot and a rather loud burp can be heard from him. "Excuse me-" He said and seconds later had his mouth full of food once more.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

14. - Top - End - #284

AssassinGuy

To Stephanie: “I don’t know really about the time the thief works... I have heard some people say it’s a small man, others a woman, and others still some kind of apparition who just appears and then disappears. You say you saw the thief?” Marisha says skeptically. “Well, if you did that would be a rare thing indeed. Where did you see her? If you did see her, and you are sure it is a female, at least we know it is a she.”

To the next part of conversation. “You think I knew a victim? Why do you think that? Was there another killing recently?” She seems nervous and skeptical.

To Chappel: As you say the name, color drains from her face. “Lucy? My Lucy? Oh gods.” She whispers. “When? Where? Are you sure?”

15. - Top - End - #285

I'm.... I'm sorry. I don't know street names. To the northwest of here, and between 2 and 4 in the morning. Steph explains.

16. - Top - End - #286

AssassinGuy

“Lucy left here around 2:30or so. Our traffic slowed down. But... why do you think it was Lucy?” Marisha asks in a less skeptical and More nervous voice.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Blastigar Kaboom
    Show

"One guardsmen mentioned the name. We were gonna see if anyone had any bad blood with her."

Spoiler: investigation
    Show
    guess I'm gonna see if I can get any hunches though I've got a few however I'm not sure if that's meta or not. If not we'll then this might provide a bit more. Investigation (1d20+6)[24]
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-12-09 at 05:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

AssassinGuy

(Blastigar: I am going to apply that roll to persuasion. I am not sure what else to do with it tbh)

Marisha looks at the group and it is clear it has hit her that the group is fairly sure of the identity. The paleness continues to deepen. “My girls here... they have a room upstairs they can use to rest... so as to not break the curfew.” Marisha says in an almost whisper. “Lucy was a sweet girl. Full of hopes. She was a dear and all my patrons loved her. She was quick, friendly, and just the right amount of flirtatious and reservedness. She wanted to get home because she was working... working on a wedding gown. She was saving all her coin for it. She said her man was going to ask for her hand soon...”

She looks at the group. “I shouldn’t have let her go... but the murders... it hasn’t really touched any of us. Hurt her you say? I can’t imagine anyone doing anything but help the dear. She was sweet as my desert wines.”

She looks somewhat angry now. “If those damned guards would do their cursed jobs, this town wouldn’t have murderers and thieves about. In the past year, half our guards have either quit or been replaced by Mordenfells men. They are all layabouts, drunkards and toughs. Some of the goods ones are still stayed on, but they are few and far between. If you want more information on what’s been happening, I suggest you talk with Ms. Dingwall... the guild of life member here in town. Either her, or Jarroff. He’s a good sort. I am not sure what you will get from those bad seed guards, but they are usually in the seeder bars. My establishment is a little to... refined for their tastes.”

19. - Top - End - #289

But wait... Why did most of the previous guards quit? Stephanie pipes up very confused.

20. - Top - End - #290

AssassinGuy

New management Marisha says, now seeming to regain her composure. You can tell there are tears behind the eyes, but business takes over. Lord Mordenfell is... challenging. It’s not wise to talk openly about the man. He wields a lot of power, and... well I have said enough. Let other fools wag their tongues. I prefer to keep mine.

21. - Top - End - #291

Okay then, what have the previous guards done? Left the town, or gone on to other professions? Stephanie asked.

22. - Top - End - #292

AssassinGuy

Marisha looks a bit put off by the question. “No offense young lady, but I was just informed that a dear employee of mine was murdered. I need time to grieve, and get this place ready for tonight. I don’t have the ale I need because the farms are not sending their produce because of the bandits, and a town so scared and Locke did up from curfew it’s hurting all the businesses in the town.”

She gets hold of her self once again, but a single tear leaks out from a heavily crows feet lined eye. “I am not sure what they did. I’m sure many are working other jobs where they can. Up in Widows Run there is a mining community, and lots of farms need help with the people just up and vanishing from their homes. If you want to know what happened to the old guards, I suggest you talk to the guards captains at the barracks. I don’t know what happened to them”

Standing up from the table, she shakes herself. “Tonight may be the first night in 20years the apple will be closed. I don’t know if any of us will be able to work. If you will excuse me, I have to break the news to my girls.” And she walks away from the table.

23. - Top - End - #293

If there's anything we can do to help besides the obvious, Please let me know. Stephanie adds as the woman goes to depart.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Blastigar Kaboom
    Show

To marisha when he senses the conversation is at an end
    "Thank you for your time ma'am. I am sorry for your loss. I think Sara spoke of a friend of hers that had rooms to stay in. Would that be you? You mentioned Your girls sometimes stay here to not break curfew. It might be a good idea to have some of us stay here to help keep an eye on things. Besides that Kelly has expressed interest in my race. Would you mind terribly if I stayed here? I could do some garbage disposal As it were. Maybe walk some of your ladies home to ensure this doesn't happen again? Totally up to you. I'm willing to negotiate."

Insight to see if she is truly saddened (1d20+2)[15]
    Persuasion if needed (1d20+1)[17]
    To the party after she leaves
    Maybe it's my paranoia and he did help save us but things seem to be pulling us to see jaroff. I don't want to suspect him but we can't rule out anything. First the mark was once part of the hunters guild next the wound was done with strength and not finesse which he has in spades. His weapons may fit the wound as well. Besides while investigating we may need funds and it seems he has lucrative work for us. I'd hate to have to resort to stealing.

25. - Top - End - #295

But I saw a human girl. Stephanie protests to Blastgier. Unless you think she was just a thief. She muses.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Blastigar Kaboom

Spoiler: picture
    Show

Show

"I couldn't see her as clearly but yes you have a point. We will need to see this girl. I do think she is just a thief but I also think she knows what happens. Besides in not sure there is enough information to lacate her. The thief seems to rob during daylight right? I thought that's what I heard. Thieves aren't generally into the killing business. Curruption in the guardsmen seems to have contributed as well so We may need to find us some bad guardsmen. Lucy sweetheart may help us there. If that's doesn't lead anywhere the mark is about assasination and that's not cheap so either we are looking for someone rich or a copy cat. Oh sorry I guess I'm thinking out loud."
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-12-10 at 02:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Away from notes
    Show

I am away from my notes, so it will not as be robust until Monday. Sorry guys. (Inn names, peoples names, etc. sorry to ruin the immersion.)

Marisha stops, now eyes full of tears. (She is actually sad) “I live here. I have a spare room the girls have been using. It is not for rent. The inn south and east of the apple is the best inn in town. Tonight I will be closed, but afterwards, I will demand my girls stay here until curfew is over.”

She continues to walk on and you can hear her calling to the other girls, assembling them in the back room.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Caeleth shakes her head.

"The Hunters' Guild fought a war to distance themselves from the Mark - I don't think Jarroff's involved. And even if he is, someone of his stature and renown wouldn't risk doing his own dirty work. This Mordernfell guy, though... you know they say history repeats itself, and I've seen this thread before. A lesser lord systematically replaces a town's lay enforcement with his own thugs? I don't like it. It'd be madness to confront him directly, but maybe if we learn more about him, we can find more... approachable acquaintances of his to talk to."

Spoiler: History Check
    Show
    Does the name Mordenfell ring any bells? (1d20+4)[13]

big money no whammies

29. - Top - End - #299

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Retcon
    Show
    I was away from my notes, so I was unable to fill all this in. Here is some additional information that Marisha supplied before she left.

"John Harnan is a good one to talk to. He is one of the few guards left that give a damn. He is a Lieutenant, and works pretty closely with the Guilds. I think he is hoping to join up with them one day." (You already met him. He worked with you and Sara earlier.)

Clearing her throat she continues. "His father is the Sub-Captain of the Guards, and also one of the few Lord Mordenfell has not yet replaced. He follows orders and is good at managing the guards, so it has been a hard thing to find a solid replacement. His name is Raynald Harnan. He is usually at the Guard Barracks at the Southeast side of town by the Mordenfell Manner."

Stopping to think for a moment, she wipes an unshed tear from her eye before it falls. "I would also ask around town in general. As much as I hear, there is always a thousand other rumors to be found. Drunks and beggars are also on the street at night, regardless of the curfew, so maybe look there?"

30. - Top - End - #300

Should we pay his manor a visit? Steph replies with a raised eyebrow.