New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Are there any RPGs where spears aren't treated as second class citizens?

In all the RPGs that I've seen and played, spears are always at the bottom of the table, second class citizens and the red-headed stepchildren who get sent to their room with just bread and water while their siblings get all the fun food and toys.

And a lot of them don't even let you do a good spear and shield combo either, relegating them to two handed weapons.

Can anyone recommend a RPG where spears are actually usable and useful?

2. - Top - End - #2

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Are there any RPGs where spears aren't treated as second class citizens?

In Gurps you can do a decent spear fighter. Had one player who played a wood elf using spear switching to staff technique for defensive purposes and combinng it with sweeps and armed grapples

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Are there any RPGs where spears aren't treated as second class citizens?

Burning Wheel.

They come in both one and two-handed versions. They're in the longest range category, which means you're very likely to be able to keep people with a shorter weapon at a significant disadvantage in a fight. And they have better armour piercing than swords.

4. - Top - End - #4

DruidGuy

Thanks.

That is exactly the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Riddle of Steel/Blade of the Iron Throne

Spears come in several varieties - different lengths as well as hewing/knobbed spears - up to lances/pikes.

The length difference is crushing in combat unless your opponents knows how to break through to close the distance. Combined with shield they offer very nice defensive options. Some of them may be even thrown with good effect.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Darksun (2E - not sure about 4E). There are two classes of weapons: those that are less effective if made from something other than metal, and those with no difference. Spears are the best weapon in the latter category. Those in the first category (swords, axes, arrows, and similar) cost 10, 30, 50, or 100 times normal cost depending on the material of construction (wood, bone, stone/obsidian, or metal respectively). Those in the second category (including spears) just cost the normal amount.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

D&D 4E. Spears and flails are the best choices for a fighter or other melee character who wants to focus on forced movement and tripping (although greatspears and other polearms are generally better than spear-and-shield, sadly).

Spears are pretty good in The One Ring, as well. They do less damage than axes or swords, but have a higher chance of scoring a Piercing Blow, which can take an opponent out of the fight immediately.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Runequest (at least 1E)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spears get decent support in Pathfinder; check out the Reach Cleric build, which combos the longspear's innate reach and an AoO build to let you cast spells on allies during your turn and stab the gently caress out of bad guys when it's not. Or if you want something with a purely martial focus, look into feats like Spear Dancing Style, Weapon Versatility, and Crusader's Flurry.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-11-16 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Can anyone recommend a RPG where spears are actually usable and useful?
    IIRC, Warhammer RPG doesn't distinguish much between weapons. Whether you're wielding a warhammer or a spear is mostly a matter of fluff.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

In legend of the wulin I don't remember any weapon type be stronger than any other since what weapon type does is add different stats bonus and attack type so you pick weapons that enhance your build idea and sync with your fighting style.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

12. - Top - End - #12

The Dark Eye gives weapons bonuses when fighting weapons with a shorter reach. So spears get a +4 against short weapons like daggers, and +2 against swords and such. But they get big penalties in cramped spaces like dungeons.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadowrun also gives reach bonuses to longer weapons. In 2E, this was almost unbalancing in favor of longer weapons. Not sure if it's been fixed in later editions.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any simple ways to represent reach differences, such that the long weapon starts out with a bonus but the shorter weapon can get inside the reach of the longer weapon and then have an advantage instead?

Without turning fights into 5 minutes of real time per 5 seconds of in-character combat time, I mean.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

In Hackmaster, the reach of a spear can be decisive factor early in the conflict, but after that initial push, it fares poorly against someone with a shield.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Are there any simple ways to represent reach differences, such that the long weapon starts out with a bonus but the shorter weapon can get inside the reach of the longer weapon and then have an advantage instead?

Without turning fights into 5 minutes of real time per 5 seconds of in-character combat time, I mean.

It depends, you could give the long weapon a bonus in the start of the fight or something similar. Many long weapons aren't disadvantaged when you close as many are 2 handed and you just shift your grip. All weapons except small ones are at disadvantage if you get into a grappling match.

Like longsword fighting where you can grab the ricasso to shift the grip or with a polearm where you can use it more like a staff (here I'm talking about short polearms, not 3-5 meter beasts of war used in formation fighting.

Gurps does this decently by representing reach, a good fighter with reach can force an opponent with a shorter weapon to get defensive penalties to close the gap while he can benefit from defensive bonuses from retreating/circling

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spears are generally solid in the Ubiquity games, although that doesn't apply to the more modern ones - they can keep up with swords just fine, not so much modern firearms. They're also just fine in Fudge, Savage Worlds, and generally a lot of generics (though not d6 Fantasy).

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Burning Wheel.

They come in both one and two-handed versions. They're in the longest range category, which means you're very likely to be able to keep people with a shorter weapon at a significant disadvantage in a fight. And they have better armour piercing than swords.
    There's also a fun little diagram indicating why that reach is useful.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Exalted 3 treats all melee weapons as either small, medium or large and then adds descriptive tags.

Spears have the tags lethal and piercing, long spears also have reaching, short spears also have thrown. This set of weapon tags makes them pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Tyrrell; 2017-11-16 at 04:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

In LFG swords do d8 with a disarm property on a nat 19. Spears do d6+1 but have a 10 ft reach and can be thrown. Both good in different ways.
    Low Fantasy Gaming RPG - Free PDF at the link: https://lowfantasygaming.com/
    $1 Adventure Frameworks - RPG Mini Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=645444
    Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting - https://lowfantasygaming.com/2017/12...x-setting-pdf/
    GM Toolkits - Traps, Hirelings, Blackpowder, Mass Battle, 5e Hardmode, Olde World Loot http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...Fantasy-Gaming

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

Fight in Burning Wheel is the opposite of simple, but it otherwise has this.

You start combat with a speed vs speed test for positioning if there's a difference in weapon length. The person who wins is fighting at their optimal weapon range and putting their opponent at a disadvantage for the fight, with a bonus to the initial positioning test if you have a longer weapon. During the fight you can also try to perform maneuvers that will seize the weapon advantage for yourself again.

21. - Top - End - #21

With all these response, now I wonder which RPGs treat spear as second class citizen, because people responded with even Pathfinder and 4e, and with what the OP write I thought the second-class-citizenry would be much more prevalent.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    With all these response, now I wonder which RPGs treat spear as second class citizen, because people responded with even Pathfinder and 4e, and with what the OP write I thought the second-class-citizenry would be much more prevalent.
    Hells, even in 3.5 a spear or longspear is pretty much the go-to for anyone who wants a two-handed simple melee weapon, which is generally the milieu of clerics, druids, sorcerers and the odd bard (plus, the free AoO you're practically guaranteed to get against most chargers is a nice touch on someone who is avoiding making any weapon attacks which cost actions). They're not great for anyone who's, well, proficient with glaives, but it's not like the single extra point of damage is really much to write home about. A spear is also notably the only core weapon where you can claim a 2-handed damage benefit and have a base 20-ft range increment at the same time (light hammers have the 20 ft range increment but are light, javelins don't seem to have a defined handedness but let's face it they're also spears).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not a tabletop RPG, but in LOTRO spears have a chance for a DOT effect, making them favored by some tanks for keeping aggro.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AD&D 1e and BECMI. Your front line / shield wall sets their spear vs charge while the archers (and magic users) shoot over their heads. If the enemy moves forward to engage you get first attack and do more damage. Then you switch to hand weapons. Ideally the second rank is polearm weilders attacking over the front rank.

This style of play isn't common with typical 3-5 PC groups, but apparently this was the default way to play in the original wargamer groups. But I've gone back and played BECMI this way, with a large group of players and lots of retainers. It's a totally different experience from what I was brought up to think of as D&D ... and I cut my teeth on AD&D and BECMI. But we did the 3-5 players without henchmen thing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spears are pretty nice in the One Ring RPG.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

This isn't a TTRPG but I recently bought this game called Battle Brothers on Steam. It's a hex-grid tactics game with really punishing combat.

The different weapons all do essentially the same amount of damage. The only difference is the specialization

• Flails give you an ability where you can target the head directly - lower hit chance with a guaranteed critical if it connects.

Swords do piercing damage which bypasses armor

Maces, by contrast, do increased damage to armor

Axes allow you to break someone's shield

And spears give you a spear wall ability which, if someone tries to enter a square adjacent to you, they are knocked back and take damage

I'm probably getting some of the details wrong, but essentially, that spear wall ability is dope af. You can have your spearmen stand side by side and activate their spear wall, which allows you to funnel your enemies into your strikers, or else they impotently have to try to keep charging into the spear wall and take repeated damage. So spears are actually essential to having an effective strategy in that game.

Make sense? I know that's not a TTRPG but maybe it'll give you some inspiration
    Last edited by Douche; 2017-11-17 at 09:59 AM.
    I'm working for the Empire. But don't worry… I'm not going to garrote you!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

One of the nice things about Lamentations of the Flame Princess I've seen is assuming that every PC has basic weapons training, and that the only weapon that can attack from behind another character is the spear (not polearms or other long weapons assumed to be swung). So your front line of Fighters and possibly Clerics generally grabs a medium weapon such as a spear or mace with a shield or a two handed weapon, while your second rank consists of your Magic-User(s) and Specialists (who won't be wearing heavier armour) with spears. Even with a small group of 4-6 characters you can get two ranks in cramped dungeon conditions.

In Keltia a Spear is just more damaging than a sword while still being one handed. The downside is more that you can't carry a spear everywhere you can take a sword, dagger, or walking stick (staff).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #28

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    IIRC, Warhammer RPG doesn't distinguish much between weapons. Whether you're wielding a warhammer or a spear is mostly a matter of fluff.
    I sort-of disagree. In Second Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, most hand-weapons are pretty much the same except for the type of damage they do (Blunt, Piercing and Edged) and - usually - one other minor ability to make it distinguishable from others.

Spears do Piercing damage (useful against specific types of enemies) and have the Fast trait, giving you a bonus to initiative at the start of a combat round. It sounds insignificant, but it can make a notable difference to what you're fighting without punishing you for using the 'wrong' one, and spears have a very specific, useful role to a slow player that needs and edge, or a fast one that wants to really minmax that Agility stat.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2017-11-17 at 02:06 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One of our frequent house rules has been assigning a significant initiative bonus/penalty depending on the weapon reach, thus giving a first strike advantage to all pole arms.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I sort-of disagree. In Second Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, most hand-weapons are pretty much the same except for the type of damage they do (Blunt, Piercing and Edged) and - usually - one other minor ability to make it distinguishable from others.

Spears do Piercing damage (useful against specific types of enemies) and have the Fast trait, giving you a bonus to initiative at the start of a combat round. It sounds insignificant, but it can make a notable difference to what you're fighting without punishing you for using the 'wrong' one, and spears have a very specific, useful role to a slow player that needs and edge, or a fast one that wants to really minmax that Agility stat.
    Erm, what?

Spears do exactly the same kind of damage as every other weapon - WFRP 2e doesn't distinguish damage types - and the Fast quality penalizes Dodge/Parry attempts against a weapon with the quality.

Also, technically, spears do play second fiddle to halberds in WFRP 2e, as do great weapons (halberds basically let you swap between spear and great weapon profiles). Which makes sense, really, given that the halberd rather did take over from spears and great weapons due to being more flexible, and cheaper (than great weapons at least). Spears stuck around for a while due to the ease of manufacture, and great weapons for the prestige ("I have a redundant expensive thing! How awesome am I!".

Spears are still pretty nice, though, and a bit cheaper than a halberd. It's not what you'd call a bad choice by any means.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.