New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Wild Shape Question

So I was wondering. Say my Druid Wild Shapes into a creature that has an ability with a DC, such as a Giant Octopus or Giant Spider. Does that DC remain the same no matter what level my Druid is, or do I add my Proficency Bonus to the DC.

I get that Wild Shape sort of becomes weaker until you can Wild Shape an unlimited number of times, but at the same time I feel like a DC 11 Con save is a bit weak for a high level Druid.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wild Shape Question

The stats for the creature that you wildshape into are always the same, no matter what level Druid you are. So the attack bonuses/damage and DC of abilities always stays the same.

As you level you get access to higher CR beast shapes, so that is how it balances.

Also remember that you can keep concentration while wildshaped, so you can cast a spell then wildshape and keep it active.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2017-11-16 at 05:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    The stats for the creature that you wildshape into are always the same, no matter what level Druid you are. So the attack bonuses/damage and DC of abilities always stays the same.

As you level you get access to higher CR beast shapes, so that is how it balances.

Also remember that you can keep concentration while wildshaped, so you can cast a spell then wildshape and keep it active.
    Well, that seems to go against Sage Advice with the attack bonuses at the very least.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/23...h-proficiency/

If I am reading that correctly, my proficency bonus would increase my attack bonus accordingly. Which is why I am wondering if it would affect the DC of something like a Pounce, since it is assumed I am proficent with it as soon as I Wild Shape.

Unless I am misinterpreting it and the druid is not assumed to be proficent as soon as they wild shape.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2017-11-16 at 06:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Well, that seems to go against Sage Advice with the attack bonuses at the very least.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/23...h-proficiency/

If I am reading that correctly, my proficency bonus would increase my attack bonus accordingly. Which is why I am wondering if it would affect the DC of something like a Pounce, since it is assumed I am proficent with it as soon as I Wild Shape.

Unless I am misinterpreting it and the druid is not assumed to be proficent as soon as they wild shape.
    Sorry, but no.

Unless you have are a race with a bite or claw attack naturally; you do not get your druids level of proficiency in those skills just because you wildshape. You get the animals level of proficiency and appropriate stat bonuses.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal;22576904[url
    https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/23/wildshape-with-proficiency/[/url]

You are not reading that correctly.

That says if your Druid Wildshaped into a Ape, and picked up their scimitar, they'd get to use their Scimitar proficiency.

If they attack with the beasts attack, they use whatever is in its stat block, since they are not proficient in beast's attacks.

(I have no idea if that matches the text of Wildshaped or not AFB.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, I was misinterpreting it then. Good to know. ^_^ I guess that answers my question then

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, bringing this back because I was looking over the Wild Shape ability and something caught my eyes.

"Your game Statistics are replaced by the Statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them."

Specifically the "You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature."

Wouldn't that imply that I gain any proficencies that the beast has? Including proficiency with their natural attacks?

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature.

Wouldn't that imply that I gain any proficencies that the beast has? Including proficiency with their natural attacks?
    You know about the distinction between attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws? Yeah, so here you retain your proficiency in ability checks (skills) and saves, not attacks.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrykhor View Post
    You know about the distinction between attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws? Yeah, so here you retain your proficiency in ability checks (skills) and saves, not attacks.
    I'm pretty sure that they mean you gain proficiency with the beast's natural attacks. Otherwise you'd just be using a flat Str or Dex check to determine a hit or miss.

If that's not how it's supposed to work, that'd kinda make the Wildshape a bit of a lame option that would basically make you *weaker*.

"Sure, you can turn into a bear. But staying in humanoid form and swinging your Scimitar has a better chance of hitting and dealing damage."

I personally choose to see the beast's Natural Attacks as a 'skill'/weapon they are proficient in, and therefore apply the beast's or the Druid's Proficiency Bonus. Whichever one is higher at the time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Unless you have are a race with a bite or claw attack naturally...
    Ohhh, loophole? Tabaxi druid or lizardfolk druid?

You do. You get the beast's proficiency; not your own, because you're not proficient in its attacks (unless maybe if you're a tabaxi or lizardfolk?). So you're back to using the beast's standard attack value because you have it's str, dex, and con and it's proficiency bonus.

Now if it's something that you are proficient in, you get your proficiency bonus. So say you have dex save prof, you would add your prof bonus to the creature's dex bonus to roll a save.

There are other loopholes. For instance, a monk druid can make unarmed strikes normally using the creatures str or dex (their choice). A monk dire wolf can be NICE. Trust me on this. You retain all your class features so you keep things like extra attack as well (which replaces multi-attack. Doesn't stack with it.) There's another thread that talks about monk / druid combos and the cool things you can do.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-11-23 at 09:22 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    If they attack with the beasts attack, they use whatever is in its stat block, since they are not proficient in beast's attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    You do. You get the beast's proficiency; not your own, because you're not proficient in its attacks (unless maybe if you're a tabaxi or lizardfolk?). So you're back to using the beast's standard attack value because you have it's str, dex, and con and it's proficiency bonus.
    Yup, looking back I was unclear. I meant since you are not proficient in natural attacks, you don't use your proficiency.

Instead you gain the beast form's proficiency, which is already included in the stat blocks. Similarly the beast form's proficiency is already included in the stat block for its saving throws and skills. You don't get to use the beast form's proficiency with saving throws and skills at your level of proficiency.