New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Justice League film

I see no thread here. Does that confirm the incoming reviews as far as GITPers are concerned?

Kermode was pretty rough with the film_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLcTO2a0Ec

On the bright side, its Rotten Tomatoes score is higher than it was for Suicide Squad.

I wonder what forummers that have seen it think, and I'm actually curious about the Whedon additions to the original cut. Most people consider it has improved from the dark and grim tone of earlier films in the franchise, but the sexism angle (Wonder Woman and the Amazons) is also pinned on the reshoots.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Justice League film

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I see no thread here. Does that confirm the incoming reviews as far as GITPers are concerned?

Kermode was pretty rough with the film_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLcTO2a0Ec

On the bright side, its Rotten Tomatoes score is higher than it was for Suicide Squad.

I wonder what forummers that have seen it think, and I'm actually curious about the Whedon additions to the original cut. Most people consider it has improved from the dark and grim tone of earlier films in the franchise, but the sexism angle (Wonder Woman and the Amazons) is also pinned on the reshoots.
    I'm going to use my Super Critical Nose powers and say it smells like a stinker. I couldn't even make it past halfway of Wonder Woman, so there's no way I'm going to endure a crapstorm of CGI and unwonderful, cynical superheroes. They're not going to do justice to the concept, so to cinematic hell with it.

3. - Top - End - #3

I can only hope this film bombs. With a budget of 300 million it's quite possible it won't break even.

Warner Bros needs to make actual quality DC films istead of putting up a CGI spectacle with your favourite heroes and expect the masses eat it up.

I feel hopeful JL will tank given that Trans5mers underperformed even though the previous films made billions, though DC will likely keep this franchise kicking and screaming for another year before realizing it sucks.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2017-11-17 at 03:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I have no interest in seeing it (unlike Suicide Squad). So that's up front.
    My Impression, however, is that it is basically Diana babysitting four insecure men for 2+ hours.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am more interested in Murder on the Orient Express than this.

And I love Superhero movies usually.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post

DItto.

Admittedly the only character in the movie I have ever cared about is Wonder Woman. I am very selective in my comics and well...
    I haven't read JLA or Superman since the early 80s when I discovered X-men and Spider Man. Flash... just isn't interesting to me. Cyborg is "that guy from Teen Titans that felt like they needed a strong guy so they put him in there" (I stopped reading Teen Titans in the late 80s, way before the cartoon). Aqua Man is "Hmm... why not". Batman is the one character in the Batman canon I like the least.

So... I am holding out for the Harley Quinn solo movie and the next WW.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    DItto.

Admittedly the only character in the movie I have ever cared about is Wonder Woman. I am very selective in my comics and well...
    I haven't read JLA or Superman since the early 80s when I discovered X-men and Spider Man. Flash... just isn't interesting to me. Cyborg is "that guy from Teen Titans that felt like they needed a strong guy so they put him in there" (I stopped reading Teen Titans in the late 80s, way before the cartoon). Aqua Man is "Hmm... why not". Batman is the one character in the Batman canon I like the least.

So... I am holding out for the Harley Quinn solo movie and the next WW.
    Trailers did not excite me. Has reviews been better, i may have been more interested.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well I personally loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Well I personally loved it.
    I totally support this.

I totally support this.

I watched it two times, that's why.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But only because I was invited twice
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Murder on the Orient Express was pretty amazing so definitely see it.

Haven't seen Justice League yet. Would have soon but Dad got sick and had to take him to Hospital (and have to check on him lately).

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Murder on the Orient Express was pretty amazing so definitely see it.

Haven't seen Justice League yet. Would have soon but Dad got sick and had to take him to Hospital (and have to check on him lately).
    My girlfriend is scary impressive at everything observation and deduction. We played Spyfall the othet night and can figure out the spy after 2 questions to other people.

I kind of will be running an experiment with Murder Orient to check how early she can figure this out.

12. - Top - End - #12

I got back from the movie about 90 minutes ago. I might as well use this thread to vent.

This movie was horrible. Easily the worst superhero movie I have seen since Batman and Robin---Iron Man 2 is slickly entertaining by comparison; Age of Ultron at least to me didn't have as far to fall as this movie did.

I'm a fan of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. I know a lot of people hate those movies. I think Zack Snyder's a genuinely great director. I'm also NOT a fan of the Marvel movies. I definitely got my hackles up when WB---let's be blunt---shifted towards the way they felt the wind was blowing and signed Joss Whedon (the director of Avengers and its sequel, one of the Marvel cinematic universe's architects for its first two "phases") first to heavily rework the script then helm the movie when Snyder left (following a family tragedy--not blaming WB for his departure).

My hackles got even further up when Junkie XL announced he'd been removed as the composer from the film---mind you, this is Hans Zimmer's protege, the guy who did BvS' score and Fury Road--in favor of Danny Elfman, who had worked with Whedon on the two Avengers films. Of course Elfman's pedigree in this genre is way older than that and includes one of the most iconic themes ever, but I found his Avengers work lacklustre; I was not happy.

I was not happy going in. I will admit I sat down in the theater with a suspicious mind. I tried to fight it for the first five or so minutes. "If Joss Whedon wasn't cutting these shots, you'd be telling yourself to wait and see!" I said to myself. It was no good. This movie is trash: garbage, top to bottom.

I could blow 6000 words of inchoate and directionless rambling about all the myriad ways it was bad, offensive both to the source material and the movies it preceded, a tone-deaf corporate dumb bomb stinking of desperation to imitate the competition. I'll go with a few snapshots: Danny Elfman repeats his now 30- year old Batman theme; Kansas, portrayed as a stark and unforgiving landscape in the last two movies, is now a warm-colored Hallmark card; the villain is an 11 foot tall man with an axe and to fight he must very repetitively stalk after and swing his axe at everybody in sight; I do not remember most of the last parts of the film both because I was drinking and depressed; there is a subplot about a family of Russian homesteaders(?) located at ground zero of the Apokalyptian invasion: every time you see these unlucky Russians, a balalaika plays (this isn't even a Roland Emmerich movie!)

This movie was surpassing bad. It was one of the worst films I have seen in my thirty years on this earth. Obviously I'm saying that with context, because this is the crown to what could have been a great trilogy of movies. I know Zack Snyder's DC opus has been far from universally popular. I know a lot of people not only didn't care for it but were almost personally offended by it----well, that's what good art is supposed to do. Give you a strong reaction! I'm glad that the last two movies not only failed to appeal but UPSET so many people! Not because they had any real complaints about the filmmaking or this or that element of Kryptonian backstory but because it MORALLY offended them to see Superman portrayed thus XY&Z. I loved that someone had taken this genre and been daring with it, and by the way I may not be the Super-Nerd Mark Waid is but I'm fairly honking close. I know what Torquasm-Rao is.

By the way, every second Henry Caville actually has to speak in this movie is deeply offensive. The troubled, thoughtful and real Superman of the last two movies literally does not exist from the moment the new version begins to "remember." This new Superman has a deeper voice (Caville is seriously trying to make his voice deeper, awkwardly and hilariously), spouts hack one-liners worthy of "God doesn't dress like that" from the 2012 Avengers, and has no failings of personal assurance only sorrow for the failings of those around him (a ghost of the Lois Lane played by Amy Adams in the last two movies occupies this one).

I didn't even talk about how Cyborg is literally one of my favorite characters in comics but I like the ****ing real George Perez version not the weird "I can see the internet!" version Geoff Johns likes we got in this movie so obviously I wasn't going to get that.

I don't ****ing know. This movie depressed me a lot. I'm going to watch like, all the Pretty Cure and Miraculous Ladybug so I still feel good about superheroes by next Monday.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I loved Iron Man 2 and Age Of Ultron...

Also, you've been living a VERY sheltered life if this is the worst move you've ever seen...

Edit: One thing: The problem with the statement "Good art is supposed to give strong emotions" is that sometimes people hate something because it's actually bad. Also, just because you like something doesn't qualify it as great art. It just means you like it. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, that quote is one of the most common cover ups for "Emperor's New Clothes" scenarios.

Although you saying that Superman isn't acting like before? Thank God. A more tone deaf rendition of the Man Of Steel has never been made by anyone, ever, than what he was in the last movies.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-18 at 02:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

No, Man of Steel and BvS ("Beavis") were good.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    Not as good as Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2 and Captain America: TLA. Again though, taste is different. There is no such thing as universal truth (well except regarding The Room and Manos The Hand Of Fate which are genuinely considered bad by every living being in the universe, so they is an univeral truth about those two). You liked them. A majority of people didn't. That's perfectly fine.
    I liked Suicide squad, but I am completely honest when I am saying the reason I liked it was "Every time Margot was doing something". Not (only) because she's well... hot enough to melt thru steel, but also and foremost because I genuinely love her take on Harley Quinn and I cannot wait for a Harley solo movie.

And they were definitely not as good as the best DC superhero movie of all time: The West Batman one. And I'm not even being sarcastic about that one.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-18 at 02:23 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

You seem to have chosen bad superhero movies to be your foot soldiers in your war against objective truth. Have you considered a sport?

e: it doesn't have to be something like yanqui football. You could do pingpong.
    Last edited by Piedmon_Sama; 2017-11-18 at 02:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You seem to have chosen bad superhero movies to be your foot soldiers in your war against objective truth. Have you considered a sport?

I deliberately picked movies people here say they don't like, but I did. And you're talking to a Swede here, from the country that ruled professional table tennis for 20 years. The country who spawned a man so good that every. single. table tennis school in China had a poster of him on the wall for the kids to learn to fear and train to beat.

So yeah...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Hard disagree, but to each their own. I liked Wonder Woman, though.

I dunno, reviews look so bad, I think I'll pass on seeing this movie in theatres.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    Hard disagree, but to each their own. I liked Wonder Woman, though.

I dunno, reviews look so bad, I think I'll pass on seeing this movie in theatres.
    Do not spend a dime on this poopy movie. Hard agree with Wonder Woman! It's very different from my precious Snyder movies and that's fine because it's a different director and a different artistic statement. The worst thing would be if DC became THE DARK UNIVERSE (where it's dark!!) to Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA'S TENDONS ARE AS STRONG AS THEY NEED TO BE horsepocky. It should be about making each individual movie good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When the foot soldiers you bring into battle are Man of Steel and BvS, you don't have the luxury of picking on the other guy's soldiers. You basically get to look down on the Joel Schumacher Batman and the Shaquille O'Neal's Steel. And Daredevil, and Ghost Rider and Catwoman and actually a lot of terrible superhero movies from the late 90's and early 00's. Man, superhero movies are so much better right now.

And yeah, I'm not seeing this movie. I saw Wonder Woman because the word of mouth was good enough for me to give it a chance, but the WoM on this film is "Eh, it's not as bad a Suicide Squad." The DCEU has wasted away it's good will with me. I won't be watching any of their movies unless I have good reason to believe things have changed.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2017-11-18 at 02:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Man, superhero movies are so much better right now.
    Well duh, if you like the Marvel movies, they're all the same one.

22. - Top - End - #22

Also, An Enemy Spy, how the heck dare you downtalk the two Ghost Rider movies we were lucky enough to get ever

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I deliberately picked movies people here say they don't like, but I did. And you're talking to a Swede here, from the country that ruled professional table tennis for 20 years. The country who spawned a man so good that every. single. table tennis school in China had a poster of him on the wall for the kids to learn to fear and train to beat.

So yeah...
    Ah yes, the Swedes....

You own your sports sir, you own your sports. But have you considered we Americans are so great we invented our own version of football we can dominate forever?? Indeed, few nations ever mastered such planning. What sport has ever mastered being an esoteric art unto itself so much as American football? We even figured out how to stop it every six seconds to throw you guys off!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, the Swedes....

You own your sports sir, you own your sports. But have you considered we Americans are so great we invented our own version of football we can dominate forever?? Indeed, few nations ever mastered such planning. What sport has ever mastered being an esoteric art unto itself so much as American football? We even figured out how to stop it every six seconds to throw you guys off!
    Well you have both Handegg ("Football") and Baseball basically to yourselves. Although you seem to struggle with Baseball. Cuba and Japan are on to you there.

25. - Top - End - #25

Most won't and will never develop their thoughts about this stupid movie so far as I will. And that will be that. Not that it's a super-inaccessible field but I don't think other cultures necessarily have an appreciation for superheroes and what they mean in American culture. I don't think you get what it means to see a gross and bad superhero movie. These things boiled out of the American subconscious at various times when our cities were at their worst---the 30s, the 80s---and we liked to imagine they represented the best of us. Then you see this movie and it's sort of like seeing the film adaption of a battle you were at (you were a messenger and somehow you saw the command tent and the front line). "This isn't the thing" you want to say, "American comics aren't like this, there are good stories and these characters are actually very multifaceted...?"

Hell. I don't know.

26. - Top - End - #26

Most won't and will never develop their thoughts about this stupid movie so far as I will. And that will be that. Not that it's a super-inaccessible field but I don't think other cultures necessarily have an appreciation for superheroes and what they mean in American culture. I don't think you get what it means to see a gross and bad superhero movie. These things boiled out of the American subconscious at various times when our cities were at their worst---the 30s, the 80s---and we liked to imagine they represented the best of us. Then you see this movie and it's sort of like seeing the film adaption of a battle you were at (you were a messenger and somehow you saw the command tent and the front line). "This isn't the thing" you want to say, "American comics aren't like this, there are good stories and these characters are actually very multifaceted...?"

Hell. I don't know.
    Dude. Step out of your ego box and cultural egocentrism there for a minute.

27. - Top - End - #27

Dude. Step out of your ego box and cultural egocentrism there for a minute.
    Please tell me what part of my post struck you as culturally chauvinistic. Because I started by talking about how people from my country in large part, vociferously, a certain amount of them, did not like two movies I thought were great. I then talked about how the United States created superhero comics---well, we did, it's like baseball and jazz, something our stupid country made---and I talked about how the movie I just saw, I felt, was so bad it actually betrayed even that archaic standard.

So yeah you're right I'm sort of bathing in my red white and blue greatness here for being one of the two countries that invented Superman, haha.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I am probably going to see it, I think; WW was the first DC movie I bothered to see since Green Lantern (and unlike many people, I enjoyed that for what is was, though I will freely admit that the animated version of the story I saw a day or two prior was probably better) since the trailer (and subsequent reviews) didn't make it look absolutely terrible.

JL seems to have at least some attempt at levity, so I am prepared to give DC a chance, because Wonder Woman was fracking great. If JL is only half as good as that, it will be pleasant enough.

I mean, really. It's pretty tragic that DC have been unable to appeal to me before now - it's not even like my standards are especially high (see also: Superman Returns, the first two Wolverine movies, the earier Fantasic four movies and the Star Wars prequels).

However, the previous installment's dour tones and over-seriousness are just about the fastest way to out me off (see Mos, BvS, all of the NolanBat and Logan1); so, really, if JL just avoids being dull, overly dramatic and self-important, it'll probably be okay.

(I would have been pretty likely to have dismissed Suicide Squad out of hand, by-the-by, even if it was the best superhero movie ever, because I simply don't care about either the characters or the concept.)

Put it this way, I am more interested in seeing it from the trailers than the Last Jedi, which - despite containing actual starships battles - generated a feeling of complete apathy in me (and even I don't know why).

1I don't care how good a job Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman did on acting (and I'm sure they did an exemplary job), not even the presense of X-23 (who is among my top favourite X-Men), I refuse point-blank to watch a what amounts to an loose adaption of the single most risable Wolverine story I have ever had the misfortune to read, and the third-worst comics I have ever read overall. Old Man Logan can go die in a fire, and consider itself lucky that it wasn't Battleworld's Runaways, which is ACTUALLY burned. (And I have the pictures to prove it.)

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    1I don't care how good a job Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman did on acting (and I'm sure they did an exemplary job), not even the presense of X-23 (who is among my top favourite X-Men), I refuse point-blank to watch a what amounts to an loose adaption of the single most risable Wolverine story I have ever had the misfortune to read, and the third-worst comics I have ever read overall. Old Man Logan can go die in a fire, and consider itself lucky that it wasn't Battleworld's Runaways, which is ACTUALLY burned. (And I have the pictures to prove it.)
    No dude, you should watch it. It's not like the comics. Like, I basically disagree with the entire first half of your post, but I don't care when it comes to this. Everyone can/should enjoy Logan. I understand the words "Old Man Logan" make you skeptical and rightly so. Trust me, this has nothing in common with those dumb comics. There's no backstory of all the superheroes getting killed in a highly contrived circumstance. It's in line with the previous X-Men films and follows from those. Everything follows from the previous movies---logically, horribly. It's an enclosed 20th Century Fox Production. If you ever saw an X-Men movie or cared to, this is the one.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

My mom went to see this with her brother. Speaking as someone who never watched any of the other films and has little clue on anyones backstory... she enjoyed it. It sometimes got a little draggy, but in the main she has no regrets about going to see it. So just something to keep in mind. She went in with no expectations based on what she thought about dc films in general, or the various characters and had a good time. It didnt blow her away, or leave her chattering on about how awesome it was, but she still liked it. So there you go.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."