1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Any advice for getting a new computer without windows 10?

I do not want windows 10. Ever. I'm very paranoid about privacy, and I do not trust Windows 10.

I need a new computer, and I know it's going to have Windows 10 preinstalled.
    If you run pathfinder, please check this thread out.
    http://tinyurl.com/IWJPFGR

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Any advice for getting a new computer without windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    I do not want windows 10. Ever. I'm very paranoid about privacy, and I do not trust Windows 10.

I need a new computer, and I know it's going to have Windows 10 preinstalled.
    Build one yourself with whatever OS you want. It'll most likely come out cheaper, too.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a program called Winaero Tweaker that you can use hack a lot of Windows 10's settings.

Also, can eliminate Cortana by opening the the parent folder of Cortana's folder in file explorer, killing cortana in task manager, and then quickly renaming cortana's folder before the program automatically restarts.

You can, IIRC, kill windows update by disabling or uninstalling it from the services menu

Classic Shell, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, and Ribbon Disabler are essential in Windows 10 if you want the design of the user interface to be in any way functional.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Build one yourself with whatever OS you want. It'll most likely come out cheaper, too.
    I don't know how to do that...
    If you run pathfinder, please check this thread out.
    http://tinyurl.com/IWJPFGR

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Buy a box, buy the bits, put the bits together in the box, install the OS of your choice (for the latter bit an optical drive is easier, but USB is supposed to work (never tried USB myself)).

You have to fit the little brass standoffs so the motherboard clears the box, in exactly the holes that match the screwholes in the motherboard, but that's about it, the rest is putting plugs in matching sockets. It takes longer to install Windows, if you install Windows, than it does to put the hardware together.

Things can go wrong, but they more often don't.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

You'd be surprised. Seriously, actually putting it together is the easiest part of building a computer. If you can get a Lego set and out it together, you can build a computer. The hard part is picking your components and making sure they all fit together and do what you want them to do. And fortunately, this subforum is a great place to ask about that!

I understand if you don't want to go that route. If you've never done it before, it's certainly intimidating. But I do advise you to check out a few YouTube videos about how to build a computer, or any other fairly simple research. For reals, it can save you a good bit of money not getting unnecessary parts or having high power parts only where you need, and they almost always look better then retail builds, IMO. Plus, there's the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. But, if you're just not comfortable with it, then there nothing wrong with just buying a computer. Do what you feel best about, dude.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can use https://pcpartpicker.com to help pick a parts list so that everything is mutually compatible.

More in line with your original question, you could buy from System76 or one of the other Linux PC builders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Without knowing anything about your computer usage, if you're not going to put together your own computer, pretty much your only option will be to check clearance/refurbished listings. You'll probably be stuck with inferior hardware, and I'd suggest buying directly from a manufacturer's website if you go that route while paying careful attention to any details on warranty issues. Sure, I guess you could go Apple or Chromebook, but I'm not going to be surprised if they play just as fast with your privacy as Windows does.

Here's some random starting points I found for computers you can buy without Windows 10. Since I don't know what you plan to do with the computer, please do not take these as recommendations. Further, don't ask me to compare these, because they're just random selections that came up and are by no means equivalent to each other. I'm personally in the build-it-yourself camp, but if you don't want to do it, I don't see a reason to push you too far into it.

Lenovo ThinkCenter M910
    HP Z240 Tower Workstation
    Dell OptiPlex 3050
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm very paranoid about privacy,
    Then you need to to stop using the Internet 10 years ago. Honestly to be safe, 17 years ago.

The fact you are surfing this page means you've given up all privacy already.

I wish I was fearmongering but I'm not.

And I sorely hope you don't ahve an iPhone or anything with Android on...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    More in line with your original question, you could buy from System76 or one of the other Linux PC builders.
    For that matter, even Dell will sell you a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed rather than Windows if you want.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

You can just repeatedly nuke the hard drive after purchase. Format it and if you want one extra layer connect it to a UNIX system and shred. Or if you want an extra layer of paranoia, throw the hd to a lake and buy a clean one and format as desire with your choice of OS. If you want to get more paranoid you have to build a pc yourself which is pretty much lego with cheaper components.

If you just object to the OS, buy any pc and format the drive. If you object to it having had touched windows then you need to buy the parts. If you get even more paranoid you need to start looking for alternative cpu manufacturers and ebay purchases of ancestral systems.
    Farron's Undead Legion, the Abyss Watchers by
    he who goes and went by many names,
    Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, Asterisk Ampersand
    and once upon a time araveugnitsuga

unfit even to be cinder, but so it is that ash seeketh embers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Windows 10 is an excellent OS. Privacy wise you are far worse off with older versions anyway, which is much easier to hack into, and all anti-virus software monitors you because well that's how it discovers dangerous things.
    Also, as stated above, throw away everything you own that is connected to the internet. Especially your phone.

That said... Just install one of the easier to learn Linux distributions instead.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Windows 10 is an excellent OS. Privacy wise you are far worse off with older versions anyway, which is much easier to hack into, and all anti-virus software monitors you because well that's how it discovers dangerous things.
    Also, as stated above, throw away everything you own that is connected to the internet. Especially your phone.

That said... Just install one of the easier to learn Linux distributions instead.
    Not helped by Microsoft retroactively adding telemetry to the last patches of some of the older OSes (7 and 8.1).
    Farron's Undead Legion, the Abyss Watchers by
    he who goes and went by many names,
    Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, Asterisk Ampersand
    and once upon a time araveugnitsuga

unfit even to be cinder, but so it is that ash seeketh embers.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

If you do decide to build, screws are a thing. There are three frequently seen types of heads, wide domed ones (usually hard disk threaded), ones with a dome with a flange round it, and ones with a hex nut shaped head, the problem is, the latter two types come in all sorts of threads, and you can't tell which thread they have by looking at the head. If you get both of them from the same place they will usually be different, but the best plan is to match the screw to the hole it's going into before tightening, and if it gets harder as you tighten unreasonably, undo and try a different screw.

Kind of obviously, the standoffs for the motherboard should usually all be the same length, if the box you are building in has instructions that say otherwise follow them, but I don't remember seeing that myself.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Without knowing anything about your computer usage, if you're not going to put together your own computer, pretty much your only option will be to check clearance/refurbished listings. You'll probably be stuck with inferior hardware, and I'd suggest buying directly from a manufacturer's website if you go that route while paying careful attention to any details on warranty issues. Sure, I guess you could go Apple or Chromebook, but I'm not going to be surprised if they play just as fast with your privacy as Windows does.
    Don,'t even couch Apple or Google as options. As you allude to all of Microsoft's most heinous practices were copied from them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm very paranoid about privacy
    That is not something you can count on controlling with technology, and if you can, circumstances may have changed tomorrow.
    1. For full security if you want privacy on a particular device, put nothing on it you don't want compromised.
    2. For partial security put only stuff on it that you have a contingency plans for, if they get compromised. This also involves learning some basic tech stuff and best practices.
    3. For insufficient security, depend on information from others to use and manage technology yourself, which you don't really comprehend, to protect yourself from threats you don't understand and which constantly morph and evolve.

1. Technologically simple, but annoying and requires some discipline. (May not work against time travellers, space aliens, and Chuck Norris.)
    2. Gives a good balance between functionality and security, but also takes the most effort. (Also, you're not safe from various governments, except through obscurity.)
    3. Insufficient security is just that. You'll probably get ransomware'd or credit card defrauded occasionally, because you click on lolcat videos and forget to patch your device. (Or think that Linux is safe).
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What OS do you want to run other than Windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    You can use https://pcpartpicker.com to help pick a parts list so that everything is mutually compatible.
    I will second this. Excellent website, makes it easy to build your own. There are actual "builds" people will post and some of those have actual build videos to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    If you do decide to build, screws are a thing....
    Make sure you follow the instructions. Any half decent component will come with adequate instructions.

The only time you will have a problem is if you try to put metric screw into a inch sized hole, or vice versa. The instructions will tell you if the hole is a M2 or a 5/64" and the screws will be in a labelled bag or will come in a box with the drive and the parts list will tell you if the screw is a M2 or a 5/64" or something else. Just don't take everything out of all the bags and boxes and pile them up expecting to be able to grab something that looks right.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Just don't take everything out of all the bags and boxes and pile them up expecting to be able to grab something that looks right.
    As far as screws are concerned, that's exactly what I was saying.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Winaero Tweaker can disable windows telemetry

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Instead of being paranoid about privacy, just don't do anything illegal.

Jokes aside, I think you should care more about your internet connection rather than the OS, if you really care about privacy. Even with the open-source-est OS around, your ISP still sees (and records, and sells the info of) all the sites you enter, for example.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2017-11-29 at 07:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    For that matter, even Dell will sell you a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed rather than Windows if you want.
    With the exception of the "fancy features" of 3d graphics (I've never had a problem with the desktop since installing on floppies) I've only had one piece of hardware (an internal DSL modem) that didn't work with Linux (a TV tuner is another possibility, but I'm claiming it never got a signal). I've also had one tape drive (2 Gig era) that never had windows drivers (DOS or Linux only).

It is typically easier to install Linux than a new installation of Windows. One catch is that you will want to remove the minimal spyware (local searches are fed through Amazon) from Ubuntu, but I'd recommend Mint to allow you to ignore all that. You might also want to look into a chromeOS laptop: that will avoid windows altogether and also avoid any "expert friendliness" of Linux. The downside is that games and other windows-only applications won't exist. Dual-booting a computer with Windows and Linux gives you the best of both worlds, you can have a high-privacy Linux area and boot to Windows when you need games or OpenOffice isn't sufficiently compatible with real Office (or OpenOffice is sufficiently aggravating to drive you to windows).

And remember, once you touch the internet it is game over. Your ISP knows every site you visit (can be countered via a proxy, but then they know every site you visit...) and every site you visit knows you visited them (in private mode *and* a proxy they might only know the proxy). My advice, figure out what you want to keep private and keep it private. And don't assume that even that will work. After "discovering" the internet in the late eighties (and realizing that every "real" computer was connected to it) I decided that I would pay cash for all my books. Then the web came along and pretty much all the data I was hiding in my book collection should be obvious from the trail I leave all over the web...