Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punisher

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Punisher

Quote Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
    In hindsight, it makes sense the continuity would follow the order in which the shows were available.
    That's the best of MCU/series. They show some respect for casual and hardcore fans when it comes to timelines

I liked Curtis, but probably I'm biased because I'm a big fan of Falcon and his relationship with the Cap. He reminded me a lot about him (altho their dynamic is different, because Puni isn't the Cap). BTW, the PTSD and the veteran topic was something kind of unavoidable, given the plotline they were following. Castle is a PTSD victim after all, and someone who is ultimately bat**** crazy. Painting veterans/PTSDvictims solely from Castle's perspective wouldn't have been good for the show. That's why I think the writers made a good call when they took time to show the public that veterans are also people, y'know? Whatever you think of the political commentary; at least they provided a variety of characters and backgrounds enough to humanize veterans and prevent people from stereotyping them as Castle wannabes. Because if there's one thing people love to do, is stereotyping what they don't know.

And I disagree the "Unibomber" plotline was completely unrelated. They used it as a plot device to pave the manner in which
    Spoiler
    Show
    Castle discovers Billy is a traitor. Sure, they could have framed it a different way; but there weren't many ways in which Frank could have discovered the plot without finding himself waist-deep in a trap where he couldn't plausibly escape. They set up a pretty much escapable trap for him, which ultimately allowed the tension to escalate during the later chapters.

And also, that chapter was written pretty decently. I like episodes where they don't follow a linear timeline, specially on detective series. I personally enjoyed it. That doesn't mean I necessarily enjoyed the kid's story previous to that.
    Last edited by joeltion; 2017-11-28 at 10:05 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Like all marvel TV series, started watching, didn't finish. My problem with the show is the same as for all the Marvel TV series. The filler. It's got promise, there's good stuff in there, but it's just...drug out a lot.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think Curtis has potential, he just does not have enough screen time to fully realize it. In Jessica Jones, Patsy went back and forth between being a damsel in distress and a supporting character. Daredevil had Foggy as a sort of voice of reason and conscience. Pop's death motivated Luke Cage into taking action. Danny Rand had something or other between Coleen and the Meachums. I feel that Curtis fills in some kind of role in between Patsy and Foggy for the Punisher. He isn't as naive as Danny, so he does not need someone to explain how corporate America works. His family is already, dead, so he has all of the motivation he needs. Curtis acts as a voice of reason to the Punisher. He provides a reminder that there is life after the war, and the Punisher is pretty much in a constant war. He also serves as a more human connection to the Punisher. Patsy's connection to Jessica as a sister figure is similar to Curtis' past in the same marine unit as Frank.

As far as the Unibomber plotline:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Billy revealed his involvement himself. Any situation where Madani ended in a stand off with Castle would have resulted in the same outcome. His interest in silencing Castle gave it away. Also, when Monty Bennett's phone was bugged, they could have rigged it [they did not on the show] to pick up conversations. That could have given away Billy's involvement, given the conversation that took place with Agent Orange. There are a number of ways to resolve it without the Unibomber plot.

I do not necessarily think the alternatives are better than keeping the plot. I just think it was one of the weaker parts of the show. The parallel between him and Frank do not pan out very well either. If they had more similarities, then I might have been able to buy it. As it stands, they are two completely different characters and their only connection is a military past. Curtis is a better parallel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curtis admits to suffering from PTSD and constantly keeps a gun at hand. He says that running the support group helps him cope with it. I also believe it is implied he is not doing well financially, and Billy financially supports him to a certain extent. Whereas Frank copes by taking action, Curtis copes by diverting his focus to something more constructive. They were in the same military unit and shared the same experiences.

I would say that Gunner Henderson is a good comparison as well.

Essentially, his former marine buddies had the same experiences, but they each coped with it in a different way.