New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Using the Binding spell.

I'm somewhat to this so any help will be much appreciated. As I understand it the DC for a saving throw is (10 + lvl of spell + primary ability modifier + mods). But the spell Binding allows you to use assistants to increase your caster level, not your spell level, in order to counter someone who might otherwise manage to make the saving throw. Is this a mistake or am I not reading the rules correctly?
    Last edited by Mercurial; 2017-11-17 at 10:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Using the Binding spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I'm somewhat to this so any help will be much appreciated. As I understand it the DC for a saving throw is (10 + lvl of spell + primary ability modifier + mods). But the spell Binding allows you to use assistants to increase your caster level, not your spell level, in order to counter someone who might otherwise manage to make the saving throw. Is this a mistake or am I not reading the rules correctly?
    This is why:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The target gets an initial saving throw only if its Hit Dice equal at least one-half your caster level.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    This is why:
    Oh, God, I read that wrong. Thx, I am playing this game next week and the DM is letting us start with lvl 15 chars. I was thinking of playing an Enchanter. Thanks a lot. I was reading the book backwards and forwards, trying to square the rules ive memorized with the spell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Oh, God, I read that wrong. Thx, I am playing this game next week and the DM is letting us start with lvl 15 chars. I was thinking of playing an Enchanter. Thanks a lot. I was reading the book backwards and forwards, trying to square the rules ive memorized with the spell.
    Delighted to assist.

Hope you succeed in binding the ... thing.