New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Twin Spell and Spiritual Weapon

So with the new Sorc orgin in XGtE you can pick up cleric spells. My question is if you Twin Spiritual Weapon, does the bonus action cause both weapons to attack or is it one Bonus per weapon?
    Kill me now or kill me later. But know that when you do you will also die by my hand.

That moment when every player except one in CoS joins Strahd and doesn't realize it...

Shaman Class Homebrew 5e WIP
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...9#post22673939

Need help with writing your DnD Campaign? Check out this subreddit for help
    Spoiler: r/DnDAdventureWriter
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Twin Spell and Spiritual Weapon

We've been discussing this over in other threads, and it's looking like a no-go.

The spell doesn't target anything, and to twin a spell it must target a creature. Spi W summons the weapon and then you make an attack with it - so I guess it's not twinable.

I guess they didn't want Sorcs twinning summoning spells, if they got them somehow - through multi or a magic item maybe.

Also if you cast a second Spi W it erases the first one. So if you did twin it, unless they came into existence at the same time, the second one would "erase" the first one.

That's okay because you can twin dragon's breath, and it's a lot more fun. You cast it onto two party members - or you and another party member, or you and a familiar possibly! I mean it looks like it's RAW to be able to cast that on a familiar, though a very strict reading of familiar by a dm might mean the big "no" to that (fams can't have an attack action of any kind is quite possibly what the phb is saying). So okay, maybe not workable on a fam, but on two party members - or if your druid summons two dire wolves or something, cast dragon's breath on them - twinned! That'd be a hoot. Or on sprites or little silly woodland creatures... this is getting surreal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Twin Spell and Spiritual Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    We've been discussing this over in other threads, and it's looking like a no-go.

The spell doesn't target anything, and to twin a spell it must target a creature. Spi W summons the weapon and then you make an attack with it - so I guess it's not twinable.

I guess they didn't want Sorcs twinning summoning spells, if they got them somehow - through multi or a magic item maybe.

Also if you cast a second Spi W it erases the first one. So if you did twin it, unless they came into existence at the same time, the second one would "erase" the first one.

That's okay because you can twin dragon's breath, and it's a lot more fun. You cast it onto two party members - or you and another party member, or you and a familiar possibly! I mean it looks like it's RAW to be able to cast that on a familiar, though a very strict reading of familiar by a dm might mean the big "no" to that (fams can't have an attack action of any kind is quite possibly what the phb is saying). So okay, maybe not workable on a fam, but on two party members - or if your druid summons two dire wolves or something, cast dragon's breath on them - twinned! That'd be a hoot. Or on sprites or little silly woodland creatures... this is getting surreal.
    I'd argue they're not taking an attack action, they're not even rolling to hit, idk
    I'll keep casting dragon's breath on my handheld cat-thrower
    and i'm not going to be overpowered by doing so
    Last edited by Foff; 2017-11-18 at 08:22 AM.