New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default A better/combat ready 3.5 character sheet?

I usually avail myself of the standard character sheet, which has room enough for a number of weapons/modes of combat. 5, if I remember correctly.
    Since I'm playing a melee character and would like to spell out all the possible combinations of feats and attacks (power attack, charge, ranged attack with a bow.. and a number of variations that are situational such as bow and arrow depending on the range of the attack...
    I am notoriously bad at getting all the numbers note on the margins of pages are always confused, and I have most of my info on the sheet printed rather than filled in by hand, so I'd like to keep things tidy but also easy access.
    Is there somewhere an extra page/dedicated sheet that allows me to expand beyond the 5 attacks or do I have to put one together myself?
    Last edited by dehro; 2017-11-18 at 01:56 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: A better/combat ready 3.5 character sheet?

Honestly, this sounds like something I would just do in a word processor if I needed it printed out explicitly.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I just make my PC's into stat blocks (the ones from DMG II). But I'm a DM at heart.
    Spoiler: For Example
    Show

male half-orc druid 2
    NE medium humanoid (orc)
    Init -7; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +2, Spot +2
    Languages Common, Orc, Sylvan, Druidic

AC 14(+3 armor, +2 shield, -1 dex), touch 9, flat-footed 13
    HP 20/20 (1d10+1d8+4)
    Fort +5, Ref -1, Will +5

Speed 30 ft.
    Melee Scimitar +1 (1d6/18-20)
    Base Atk +1; Grp +1
    Atk Options Charging Minotaur

Druid Spells Prepared (CL 2nd):
    • 0th - Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Purify Food and Drink
    • 1st - Entangle, Aspect of the Wolf, Snakes Swiftness

Abilities Str 10, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 13
    Feats Fell Frighten, Martial Study (Charging Minotaur), Arena Blood
    Skills Concentration +7, Knowledge (Nature) +8, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +7, Survival (Above Ground) +8, Appraise +2, Bluff +2

male viper animal 2
    TN medium animal (Viper)
    Init +3; Senses Low-light vision, Scent; Listen +5, Spot +5
    Languages Viper

AC 16(+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
    HP 12/12 (2d8+3)
    Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +1

Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft, swim 20 ft.
    Melee Bite +4 (1d4-1/x2) plus poison
    Base Attack +1; Grapple +0

Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
    Feats Weapon Finesse, Toughness
    Tricks Attack, Heel, Guard, Pin
    Skills Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +12, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +7

Poison: DC 11(10 + 1/2 hd + Con) Initial/Secondary (1d6 Con/1d6 Con)
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I have a series of spreadsheets that automate all tracking of buffs and modifiers for whole parties and entire combats. If you want to take them for a spin, I'm happy to share the templates. However, I only list 3 separate weapons (easily changed - I just limited it so it'd all fit on one screen), and it requires a fair bit of care and feeding.

I also have some (ugly by now) Ruby code to generate stat-blocks, but the characters themselves are actually expressed in Ruby code, so it's not super accessible. Someday I'll get around to learning web programming and make it into a real web app that a normal person could just use... someday.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could make an excel spreadsheet that you input the variables (range incremement, buffs, debuffs, etc.) into in order to get your stats on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Currently I'm using a pdf that has a few automated formulas embedded, such as calculating stats and abilities, total weight and encumberance. Only the combat sir is missing.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Why can't you just write down the modifiers rather than the actual values? So you have your regular attack of say +10 for 2d6+6 damage, you know that power attack is -1 for +2, you don't need write +9 for 2d6+8, +8 for 2d6+10 etc, you can just note the penalty for bonus tradeoff. For ranged, the penalty is -2 for each range increment beyond the first, which is noted in stat block already under "range", point blank is just +1 attack/damage within 30ft and so on, you don't need to actually write out a whole separate attack block just for a very minimal adjustment, do you?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I have similar issues for keeping track of modifiers in a high level high magic game. the character sheet only says "magic modifier", and when you must take into account a weapon bonus, feats, other items, and temporary buff spells, and figure out what stacks and what doesn't, it gets complicated. AC is the worst offender there, as there are so many ways to gain AC (natural, deviation, luck, insight, monk wisdom bonus, monk level bonus...) and they are all supposed to fill one single box, tagged "others"
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Why can't you just write down the modifiers rather than the actual values? So you have your regular attack of say +10 for 2d6+6 damage, you know that power attack is -1 for +2, you don't need write +9 for 2d6+8, +8 for 2d6+10 etc, you can just note the penalty for bonus tradeoff. For ranged, the penalty is -2 for each range increment beyond the first, which is noted in stat block already under "range", point blank is just +1 attack/damage within 30ft and so on, you don't need to actually write out a whole separate attack block just for a very minimal adjustment, do you?
    I think you're underestimating how bad at simple math some people can be....
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I think you're underestimating how bad at simple math some people can be....
    It's not just math. It's an organizational challenge. D&D 3.5 has a lot of moving parts to keep track of - even for a simple melee character. In order to conduct combat turns efficiently, you need to know all of the relevant rules for your character, be well-organized, and either have things calculated out in advance so you only have to add one number (the die roll) and maybe one other modifier (e.g. for charging or flanking) on the fly or be very good at tracking all the disparate modifiers in your head. As an alternative, you can have one person who knows all of the relevant rules and mechanics for every player's character do this for everyone, which makes it much smoother when you have players who don't know all the rules very well.

That last piece can also be helpful if you have players who want to be effective (both in and out of combat) but don't have the system mastery to do so and don't have time to acquire said system mastery. It lets people who otherwise wouldn't be able to play to do so, and it also allows people who wouldn't otherwise be able to DM to do so, focusing mostly on story and monter/NPC actions without having to master all of the mechanics.