New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Incredibles 2: Well, he'll look fabulous anyway!

The Incredibles 2 is in theaters June 15, 2018.USA

That is only 6 months away 6 months and 28 days away!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Incredibles 2: Well, he'll look fabulous anyway!

Oh yes. All of the yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Oh yes. All of the yes.
    2017 may not get any worse, but their is still beauty and justice at the end of the tunnel!

Bring on 2018!!!
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-18 at 03:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up, Please don't screw this up....
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Force is strong with this one.

Search your feelings...you know it to be true.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I don't know... if we fall from The Incredibles down into Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 territory, that will be the greatest fall in all of mythology. Those winged guys will feel better about themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

People dont understand craft. They just eat like pigs. Pearls before swine I guess.

The Incredibles did not need a sequel. Its themes where well done, action, characters, and elements perfectly executed. Anything now would only undermine the first movie.

Pearls before swine. We have the industries we deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    People dont understand craft. They just eat like pigs. Pearls before swine I guess.

The Incredibles did not need a sequel. Its themes where well done, action, characters, and elements perfectly executed. Anything now would only undermine the first movie.

Pearls before swine. We have the industries we deserve.
    It's been 13 years since The Incredibles was released, and this still has a lot of the production cycle to go through too. If they just wanted to cash in on the popularity of the first movie, they've had plenty of time for that before now. I have a vague memory of seeing a quote years ago that Incredibles 2 wasn't in the works at all because they didn't have an idea for it that was good enough, too.

After this much time, and if my memory of that quote is accurate, if Incredibles 2 is in production now then there's a good chance that it's because they now have a good idea for it. With that and Pixar's track record, I'm optimistic about this and curious about what they came up with.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    It's been 13 years since The Incredibles was released, and this still has a lot of the production cycle to go through too. If they just wanted to cash in on the popularity of the first movie, they've had plenty of time for that before now. I have a vague memory of seeing a quote years ago that Incredibles 2 wasn't in the works at all because they didn't have an idea for it that was good enough, too.
    Im sure thats exactly why they made Finding Dory 2, Monsters Inc 2 and are working on Cars 3.

At best its pointless.
    A little condescending

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's been 13 years since The Incredibles was released,
    Has it really been that long?
    Well, now I feel old.

But I'm definitely optimistic about the sequel until I see a reason to think otherwise.
    The Incredibles is one of my favourite superhero stories and seeing more of it sounds great.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Im sure thats exactly why they made Finding Dory 2, Monsters Inc 2 and are working on Cars 3.

At best its pointless.
    No, it's the reason why they made Toy Story 2 and 3.

Rejecting a sequel based on the argument that "most sequels are cash-grabs" is faulty logic at its worst. Yes, 90% of all sequels are crap. But if you are going to extrapolate that to be 100%, then I would suggest that you never watch films ever again, because 90% of all films are crap. Sequels are not special in that regard.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-11-21 at 02:51 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I have to admit im very curious to see what the incredibles world will be like. Its been awhile, but iirc heroes and bad guys are back at the end of the first film. So will this maybe be something like the fantastic four and dealing with bad guys trying to steal their super baby? After all, little franklin jack jack seems pretty strong.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Rejecting a sequel based on the argument that "most sequels are cash-grabs" is faulty logic at its worst.
    Then what kind of logic is it at its best?

No Im making that extrapolation because I have been finding Pixars output mediocre at best the last 6 years, and In general sequels made with a 13 year difference tend to be the worst sequels. Toy story 3 is now 7 years old.
    On top of that you don't understand craft. A good work of art isn't this burger you just shove down your gullet one after another until you puke. Its a self-contained experience. Some stories I can say benefit from sequels, whilst others don't.

Good stories aren't just good by what they tell you, but also what they don't tell you because more information serves to unbalance the creation. Even if its good execution, its not good in the whole context of the story.

In general character arcs in films are about the most INTENSE moments of their lives. Some major change brought about by circumstance, and how they dealt with those changes. The reason they don't show you what happens after "And they lived happily ever after" is because the idea would be that anything after that would be less exciting then what happened before. The character had grown and changed, and you had witnissed that change. Either the sequel would be a pretty simple A->B affair that serves as nothing but padding that serves to just make the whole experience more bloated (Since often enough its designed in such a way to leave it off to be satisfying to the imagination, that your imagination will be channeled in such a way to be more interesting then whatever they can come up with) , or the worse thing:

It would have to start undermining the elements that came before. By the virtue of just raising the intensity point again to the same level as before (Or Higher) it already undermines the notion that the characters had successfully overcome, making whatever sacrifices or achievements that came before lessened or pointless.
    I like certain ongoing series, but those are designed that way from the start. They are either designed to have character growth on a slow burn, or just entertaining on a episode by episode basis.

The Incredibles is not such a movie, and I have been yet convinced that it any way would benefit from an additional hour tacked on the end.
    A little condescending

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

On top of that you don't understand craft. A good work of art isn't this burger you just shove down your gullet one after another until you puke. Its a self-contained experience. Some stories I can say benefit from sequels, whilst others don't.
    Eat some turkey scowling dragon and be quiet.

People can disagree with you about craft for there is not only a single ideal way of making good craft. There was not a single god of music and inspiration with the Greeks --it is the muses as in plural not a single muse-- and the other cultures, I can post long winded thousand of years arguments between different "experts of craft" where said experts disagree on the best way to tell a story.

The best thing about your arguement is this though ironically, the way to "beat your arguement" is to tell a good story in a way that is counter to your premises and said stories happen all the time. So lets reverse the question what are sequels that demonstrated their own ability to tell a good story even though in your opinion the story ended in the first tale?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It would have to start undermining the elements that came before. By the virtue of just raising the intensity point again to the same level as before (Or Higher) it already undermines the notion that the characters had successfully overcome, making whatever sacrifices or achievements that came before lessened or pointless.
    I like certain ongoing series, but those are designed that way from the start. They are either designed to have character growth on a slow burn, or just entertaining on a episode by episode basis.

The Incredibles is not such a movie, and I have been yet convinced that it any way would benefit from an additional hour tacked on the end.
    So your objection is about the main characters' development arcs? What if the sequel focuses on a different character, or a vastly different kind of challenge? The teaser seems to be hinting that it will have a heavy focus on Jack Jack, who was almost ignored for the whole first movie. That's both a switch to a new focus character and the family having to deal with a superpowered baby, which is a very different kind of challenge from the school-age behavior issues and fighting a supervillain from The Incredibles. I'm sure there will be supervillains to be fought, but that could easily be more of a background "this is just how everyday life is now" thing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Meh. If „understanding craft” means taking Scowling Dragon's hate everything preemptively approach I'll pass.
    That much negativity can't be healthy.

And I mean sure, Sharknado... whatever number they're at is unlikely to be gold- mostly cause the movie it's based on isn't -but using that as the base to judge... lets say... The Empire Strikes Back without watching it would mean you miss a pretty good movie.

As my grandparents used to say (To get me to try eating new stuff. When I was young enough to occasionally be manipulated by comments like that.) „For every time you try something new you live one day longer.”.

Also something about farmers not eating what they don't know.
    Both are originally about food, but I think they're pretty fitting here as well.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-11-21 at 04:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Meh. If „understanding craft” means taking Scowling Dragon's hate everything preemptively approach I'll pass.
    Ignorance is bliss afterall. You can ignore that Chicken Nuggets contain hair product ingredients (And is only about 50% meat) but that doesn't make them not contain it.

And I find it rich that your talking about "trying new things" ABOUT A SEQUEL.
    So your objection is about the main characters' development arcs?
    No my objection is to when a story is finished so you destroy their previous arcs because you don't get the concept of a finish.

Star Wars started out as a story about how Luke overcame the seemingly impossible odds of the Empire. Now its a story about how all his sacrifices where in vain and how the Empire can reconstitute itself 20 times stronger on a whim even from a splinter faction.

Unless you don't think about it, and only concentrate on the second to second explosions and gags, the overall theming and structure as been lost for instance.
    Nobody here has even mentioned how The Incredibles would even benefit from a sequel, only the insistance to not think too hard.

What you listed is what to me falls under " pointless padding filler". The Indredibles was about more then just literally what was seen on screen. The school "Life" issues had to deal with social problems and fell under themes of exceptionalism, family dynamics, and social conciousness. Public perception, inadequacy, helplessness in society. The followup to that being:
    "Now watch the established characters deal with-A magic Baby!" again does in no way inspire confidence, as its one of the classic "We have no ideas" tropes as a story focus (Jack Jack existed in the first movie but was not the focus).
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The school "Life" issues had to deal with social problems and fell under themes of exceptionalism, family dynamics, and social conciousness. Public perception, inadequacy, helplessness in society.

The followup to that being:
    "Now watch the established characters deal with-A magic Baby!" again does in no way inspire confidence, as its one of the classic "We have no ideas" tropes as a story focus (Jack Jack existed in the first movie but was not the focus).
    Magic baby out of control is a indeed a cliche, but I think we need more than a pre-trailer to conclude that is the entirety of the movie. Indeed, Jack Jack embodied that trope in the first movie, and did it incredibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

" pointless padding filler"
    As good a description of your one-note commentary as any. But apparently it's very important to you to let us all know what ignorant swine we are.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

and are working on Cars 3.
    Cars 3 came out months ago, dude.

Ignorance is bliss, after all. You can ignore that Chicken Nuggets contain hair product ingredients (And are only about 50% meat), but that doesn't make them not contain it.
    Yep. Every single brand of chicken nuggets contains exactly 50% meat, as well as "hair product ingredients". Chicken nuggets are a monolithic food, with universal ingredients, regulated by extremely-strict laws.

This all seems well-informed and above the level, yessir.
    Last edited by Future Sword; 2017-11-21 at 07:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Future Sword View Post
    Cars 3 came out months ago, dude.
    Nods Cars 3 came out in theaters in the US June 16, 2017 and in specific markets even earlier in May 2017. The Bluray and DVD came out Nov 7, 2017.

And the thing I care more about the CinemaSins for Cars 3 came out today. (I really never cared for Cars 1 and stop caring Cars with Cars 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nlo2ekTRvI

97 sins, described in 14 mins

----

Sidenote, it infuriates me John Lasseter's passion project was greenlight with Cars (oh yeah John Lasseter is in the news, he is stepping down from Pixar and Disney due to "missteps" but really will not announce what the missteps are, other news sources that are not disney press release imply it is creepy touching, groping, hugs). and we get 2 sequels to Cars, yet John Musker and Ron Clements passion project with Treasure Planet was sabotage by the execs in 2002 (note the execs who sabotage it are not the same execs who initially green-light Treasure Planet for the late 90s and early 2000s of disney is really messy and there are different teams in charge of Disney during those years.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

As Pixar is, indeed, now stooping to the cheap cash-in, and as the trailer had all of ten seconds of movie footage, I'll give this one the detriment of the doubt. But I would love to be able to change my mind.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    As Pixar is, indeed, now stooping to the cheap cash-in, and as the trailer had all of ten seconds of movie footage, I'll give this one the detriment of the doubt. But I would love to be able to change my mind.
    It is a Teaser Trailer, it is not supposed to show much if any footage from the movie. Compare this to the 2004 Incredibles Teaser Trailer

Note none of these scenes appeared in the final movie for Incredibles.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

...Huh. And that really bears no relation to the movie itself, other than the fact that it involves an over-the-hill superhero with a wife who does housewifely things. Okay, perhaps the new teaser trailer is similarly there just to inform us that the movie exists, and we are really in the dark otherwise.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    ...Huh. And that really bears no relation to the movie itself, other than the fact that it involves an over-the-hill superhero with a wife who does housewifely things. Okay, perhaps the new teaser trailer is similarly there just to inform us that the movie exists, and we are really in the dark otherwise.
    Congratulations, you have successfully grasped the entire point of a teaser.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, just the fact that jack jack was 95% of the entire teaser is enough to let us know he is going to be a main focus of the film. All that remains is to guess HOW. Is it crazy magic baby and trying to contain the chaos he causes? Is it going to be supervillains trying to capture super baby for a wide variety of reasons? Is it going to be the incredibles trying to fight crime while also having to worry about their super baby destroying the neighborhood by accident while they are gone? Dunno, maybe in a few months we will get our first trailer of the actual film.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yep. Every single brand of chicken nuggets contains exactly 50% meat, as well as "hair product ingredients". Chicken nuggets are a monolithic food, with universal ingredients, regulated by extremely-strict laws.

This all seems well-informed and above the level, yessir.
    While that is certainly a good point Scowling Dragon's point seems to be more along the lines of „most chicken nuggets are bad, so don't even try out the fries. Instead judge all food based on those bad chicken nuggets.”

28. - Top - End - #28

The rumors seem to point to Mrs. Incredible being the viewpoint/focus character the way Mr. Incredible was in the first movie, with her doing more active heroine work while he becomes a stay-at-home dad caring for Jack-Jack and the other kids.

Also, this trailer has already become the most-watched animated movie trailer of all time. Pixar is really playing with fire on this one with their reputation and I am certain that they know it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Mrs. Incredible being the viewpoint/focus character
    a stay-at-home dad
    So...when is this meant to come out?

30. - Top - End - #30

So...when is this meant to come out?
    June 15, 2018?